Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Team ChoW III - Pirate Ship Lollipop

Thanks
    Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,281 Posts
    haha thats some WICKED LINE WERK Raoul Duke an RAD break Down JANOS HAHA I CANT WAIT TELL WE'RE DONE!!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Duke's drawing is an asskicking one, i really like it, but i think its too early on this contest to have a closed idea on the 4. day. You got time boyz !

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu!
    Thanks
    Thanks Jozulus and Granny. Hope we live up to your expectations and we surely will try to keep our ideas flowing throughout the month. These aren't the final images, so do not worry.

Raoul, I am back home and ready to rumble. How about you give me a line drawing I will try to colour and then we'll see how that works out. I will also start work on the High Priestess and post her here soon.
    I like the tones you chose for the image, and I like the atmpsphere they create. I would say my problems are with the line work atm. If he is supposed to be black I would take some sharpness form the nose and as I said before make his eyes drowsier.
    Also I really do not like the cup symbol. Sorry . I say we try something a little less canon and go with some more modern interpretations of the symbols. We could for instance use different alcohol glasses, like the one on the piano, as cups. Weapons like bats as wands. Amulets as Pentacles and some weird voodoo knives as swords. Like the idea?
    I also wouldn't put them as a design element in the card but rather integrate them organicly in the image, like you did with the brandy glass on the piano. It will be a lot more modern and appealing I think, and if we put focus on them with colour and value for instance they will keep their important status.

Cheers

EDIT: This is of course just a very rough idea. The execution is still abysmal....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 850 Posts
    I'm glad to see you back. I kinda forgot to make his eyes more dopey. About his nose I could go either way, just remember this guy is in blackface, so he can have white features. Notice how his hair is straight. Although black people can straighten their hair, I went a little out of the way to give the suspicion that he is white.

About the cup I just had an idea this morning about using an absinthe glass, the brandy snifter can be a part of the mess on the ground.

I wish I could have done a better job on the calligraphy. I really find the nouveau aspect to be pretty important. If only I was better at it.

I'll send you a psd. Don't worry about rendering yet just think about blocking in shapes and experimenting with different colors. Leave the borders alone for the time being I have to create something interesting, unless you want to give the graphics a shot.

Thanks
    Sounds good!
    I am willing to do the more design/layout aspect of this chow if you want. Would you rather have an organic deco frame or something that clearly is detached form the character? It could go either way, and also the typography could be integrated into the decorations or be set apart.
    Following is a rather simple nouveau frame which would tie our cards together I think. If we make the frame look like iron work and make it real gritty I think it would complement the nouveau style of the characters more than too much swirly, assimetrical stuff.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    okay man give it a shot. Maybe you could incorporate a cup shape for the border.
    Last edited by Raoul Duke; January 6th, 2010 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks
    As a member of a civilized artistic navy, I felt it my duty to respond to Raoul Duke's threats in a manner properly befitting them. The despicable sea shanty he posted was completely inappropriate considering women and children were present. I believe the admiralty will agree that your demise is the only option.

I have also used the services of a captured pirate to translate, should you fail to understand an educated tongue. He says you will understand, "Avast Swabbies! We'll send ye to the briny deep!"

;P
    "I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers." - Kahlil Gibran

Sketchbook: Critique greatly appreciated =)

Thanks
    Yeah this guy just likes seamen. He's no pirate. Here's a link to his thread http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=177864

Thanks
    How would you feel about this being the face of the priestess?

PS: post 100 for this thread and 900 for me. God damn that's allot of posts.
    Last edited by Raoul Duke; January 6th, 2010 at 08:04 AM.

Thanks
    Here some progress:
    I played around with a backlight that could add some nice drama. It's clearly not finished but I like the way its shaping up. What do you think Raoul?
    I like your High Priestess, are you going to go ahead and finsh her up? I do not mind, I can then concentrate on the rendering/colouring. I was also thinkng about adding some texture layers to make the watercolour effect clearer, in the vein that the amazing bluefooted uses layers (http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3...dchow99py4.jpg). Clearly we shouldn't go overboard with those.
    I do not like the idea of a cup shaped border especially not that literal. I will try some more abstract shapes though and we will figure out what we like then.
    Sounds good?

Greetz

PS: Theechoinside, you and your mates should prepare for some real piraty spanking. We aren't going to give up easily. Har har.
    Last edited by Janos; January 6th, 2010 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks
    sweet style you guys are going for! Liking the colors but please don't let it cloud your very cool and unique inking lines. Looking forward to see more!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I see where it's going and I like the lighting, especially how it shines through the pants, but the colors need to be rich translucent and pale just like watercolor. Since I see a few issues of miss-communication in my line work, I'll send you notes and I'll fill the objects.
    I found a tutorial by bluefooted. I'll take some time to do some master studies on nouveau calligraphy. You should do some master studies of the color.

Nightblue-Thanks for your thoughts. Very helpful.

Thanks
    Hi Raoul

I see what you mean man. I also had that tutorial in mind, but I was just experimenting a bit with the colours. I will try to colour it a tad differently and follow some of bluefooted tips. Hope you are well.

Cheers

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast