Team ChoW III - Pirate Ship Lollipop - Page 6

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eyo,

Raoul I tinkered a bit with your version. I think this one is a bit more dynamic and the awesome legs really seem to be running in this position. I rotated the torso as well to imply movement and I made the snake longer so that it is more readable. The pentacles on the snake were very distracting to me, so I got rid of them. What were you trying to convey with them? I hope you don't mind me changing it up a bit and please tell me any elements you dislike so that I can start painting soon.
    I was thinking a wet street scenario for the background, and fog of course to and maybe even some fumes coming form a sewer hole.
    How are the Lovers coming along?

Janos

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like the new pose. Now he's dancing! For the background let's just put a treasure at his feet maybe on top of the steaming manhole (that didn't sound right). Some how incorporating 6 elements. I don't like the idea of a world existing beyond his feet. Maybe an atmospheric indication at most. I do like the idea of a wet ground to mirror his reflection. Just don't use the ink layers for that.

Can you overlap his figure over the frame, so he literally pops out of the frame. I agree with your decisions on the serpent, but it needs a pattern and it's a great opportunity to incorporate 6 pentacles. I think they do look distracting inked, but maybe not as color. I was never happy with the pythons head while we're on the subject. Just avoid that section for the time being. I'm sure I can do better, unless you'd like to take a crack at it.

PS honestly I don't like the banner on the opening page. I'll work on a flag when I have the time. For now let's stick with the one with the frame around it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work and characters.I like the frame design and how all the cards elements and style fit together.Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay its been too long guys.

I know I haven't been all that active but we really and I mean REALLY need to finish this.
    Keith I am kinda dissapointed not to have heard or seen anything from you, but I guess your stay at the job is taking more time than anticipated. Please tell us if you are in or not. It makes a huge difference for us if we have to make 4 or 6 cards. And of you are in just go on and start on your cards and we will help you out.
    Raoul I think that if we go on as a two man team we need to kick in the next two days. I have been slacking as well I must admit, but I did some work on the six of pentacles and I hope with some rework from you it can be as good as our first card. The following things need to be changed by you, because you did them on the other card and it looks awesome: The slightly red tinge to the framework, maybe som of that mist you did behind the piano (I do not mean the stylized smoke), the texture you applied, change the things you think will improve it.
    Please send me the Lovers line art today or at the latest tomorrow.

I am applying for unis these days so as i mentioned earlier in the thread I haven't got a lot of time but I am sure as hell not going to end up with no proper entry. I think we are on the same page on this account.
    Tomorrow we need to finish the Lovers and the six of Pentacles. While you overwork the Six of Pentacles I am going to try and make the High Priestess' linework.

Last edited by Janos; January 25th, 2010 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rough start on the Priestess:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to say everything looks great but I had to log in to tell you that letting the frame cut off the extremities in the six of pentacles is really bothering me.
    I'm reffing Mucha because I saw you were using him as inspiration earlier, if you look at some of his pieces he lets the composition of the figure cut the frame instead of cutting off something that finishes the flow of a line in the figure.
    just my two cents.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kailaan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Janos I'm glad to see the work you've done. Their has been severe storms down here in sunny San Diego, so I have been cleaning up the havoc in my yard and helping my friend with a flooded basement. On top of that homework has been kicking my ass for the past couple weeks. Although I could have been working harder on this.

I'm really diggin the high priestess. I will have to finish up the line work myself. But you nailed the form and composition.

I'm working on the 6 right now. The lighting has issues, so I'm adding candles. I'm putting in that other hand.

The lovers sketch gonna have to wait just a little 'til tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    line work for the priestess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Raoul The Priestess is looking great. Do you think we can finish her until tomorrow?
    I made some changes to the six of Pentacles. Tell me what you think:
    1) I repositioned the pentacles so that they do not interfere with our characters. But I really think the second version works better, the one where the six of pentacles is represented in the card and not in the border. I think people will be smart enough to get that, don't you think? If we introduce the number of symbols in the frame it kinda mixes all up and we haven't got time to adapt the frame to these new ideas. I guess we should just finish up the Lovers and the Priestess and submit a finished entry.
    2) Do you like the black or the CA-beige font more?

Last edited by Janos; January 27th, 2010 at 05:49 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1-The smokey atmosphere is working pretty well. Honestly the uneven placement of the pentacles disrupts the harmony.
    2-I really dig the CA colors. We can have black outlines with beige fill. Can I get a link to that font your using.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the font:
    http://www.fontamental.com/e/eckmann.html

I also do not like the uneveness of the pentacles, but I also dislike them being in the frame. Shouldn't we just leave them out and let them show only in the pics themselves?
    Anyway, we need to work. Can you send me the priestess so that I can start the colouring?
    I also guess Keith is out of the game. We anyways wouldn't manage any other cards.

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eyo!

I send you a file with a possible finished card. Do you like it? I really think it would be good to get the ready ones out of the way, because we haven't got a lot of time for the two most complicated ones. I got rid of the two side symbols, so now I think it is good because the three symbols were a little confusing. Now its just the cards symbol on top and the name on the bottom and the actual image has all the cards symbols in it.
    I also kind of had the idea that we should stop uploading the finishing touches of our cards here, so that there is a little surprise for our followers? What do you think?
    I am going to try and stay up tonight so that we can work on some of the cards simultaniously. Tell me anything I can do to help, because atm there isn't alot I can do...
    How is the lineart coming along?

I send you the files via yousendit btw.

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shit shit shit shit shit! I My computer restarted on me while I was at work today. So the high priestess is pretty much back where I last posted. At least I had enough sense to save the lovers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't panic. The lovers are on teh finish line as well now, due to your awesome lines that I felt I needed to colour straight away. I send you all the stuff via yousendit. I can finish up the Priestess tomorrow, so chill and just keep going. I hate when computers start bitching. After all they are here to serve us!
    Like the Lovers?
    If you want you can send me the priestess in her current stage so that I can start colouring her? The background can be added later. We anyways should maybe keep the background just a little simpler, because all our other entries have very simple bgs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

I really like what you've done with the place. The only problem I had was with her hair line. You did such a good job with her dress, I had to redraw the line work to high light how awesome it is.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Raoul.
    Everything okay? I have been waiting for the linework and the other logos. Tomorrow is going to be hectic, how about we meet at a certain time online, probably in the evening/night for me so that we can finsih everything off?

This is our final for the Page of Cups.

Enjoy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know these aren't that fancy but I really like the style/designs, especially for the Lovers. You guys are going to have a very unique entry in the finals so it will stand out from other works. The only critique I can offer is that the current border/layout is perhaps too much but you guys are the artists so you choose how to present it. It's more of a personal preference issue in this case. I enjoyed looking around this thread, cheers!

Niva's Links: Sketchbook | Eternal Seven Website
    Doomsday Dream Clan Artists: Clanlord | Headhunter
    Team CHOW III: Doomsday Dream Clan

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Niva. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Niva. View Post
    You know these aren't that fancy but I really like the style/designs, especially for the Lovers. You guys are going to have a very unique entry in the finals so it will stand out from other works. The only critique I can offer is that the current border/layout is perhaps too much but you guys are the artists so you choose how to present it. It's more of a personal preference issue in this case. I enjoyed looking around this thread, cheers!
    Aren't that fancy? Wow, way to go and bash their art. Shouldn't just have said anything at all.

I personally think their stuff rocks along with the borders. Very interesting and reminiscing of Alice in Wonderland. Good job Pirates!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to AG. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think these cards are pretty fancy - I really like all the design elements - the boders, the fonts used ... great job guys!

"The reason why truth is so much stranger than fiction is that there is no requirement for it to be consistent."-Mark Twain

gone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AG. View Post
    Aren't that fancy? Wow, way to go and bash their art. Shouldn't just have said anything at all.
    Umm, hello AG. Actually my comments were meant to be a compliment on their style/designs. Their work is neither realistic nor hyperdetailed, perhaps fancy was the wrong word to use? However I think the artowrk succeeds ultimately. And I did try to offer a critque on their border design which is the purpose of these forums, not so we can all join in a nice circle jerk like you seem to want to. If my comments were indeed percieved to be a bash on their work I'm sorry for this to the folks of the Pirate Ship Lollipop, it was not my intention to bash anyone's work. Matter of fact I really like the direction this team went. Cheers!

Niva's Links: Sketchbook | Eternal Seven Website
    Doomsday Dream Clan Artists: Clanlord | Headhunter
    Team CHOW III: Doomsday Dream Clan

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Niva. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Niva Thanks Niva for your comment and your crits. That is ultimately what CA is about and we appreciate them. Don't worry I didn't understand it the wrong way. Thanks for keeping by us, and I hope we succeed in your eyes, also in comparison to the other great teams.
    By that i basically mean.... VOTE FOR THE PIRATE SHIP LILLIPOP!

AG Thank you for liking our fancy borders.

Nike Thanks!

And here a little Exclusive Sneak Peak at our final entries....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So guys, we posted our finals in the final burning thread. Hope all of you that liked our team vote for us in the following days.

Raoul Duke, you rock! We were a really good team and our finished cards really shouldn't be ashamed of themselves.

All of you guys, thank you for commenting.

Janos, over

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was fun thanks to all who voted for us or will vote for us.

Janos-Let's do this again next time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx your kind words guys!

Your work should deserve more votes i think.

You choosed a hard way, with a not too popular (not too concept artish) graphic style, and thats the reason i think, that lot people dont stop to analyse your works. You made a strong coherent stuff on these four cards i think, so made really good work!

And the frame of your cards is extremely fit to the illustrations, nice work too!

cheers, and see you on the next contest!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to jozulus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Joz. Although I'm not bitter about our score. I think we did okay. I knew going in we weren't going to win. Our goal was just to draw some bad ass pictures and a great chance to colab with talent like Janos. This was just a glorified exercise for me. I'll say this score is a far better one then my last CHOW submission "the surveyor" where I came in next to last place.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Members who have read this thread: 1