Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu!
    Thanks
    Some useful links I found.
    Tomorrow we will have to start rocking Raoul. It would be nice to find a member, if he feels comfortable working in such a thought-out theme already. I would definitely need some help with rendering, but I just want to make sure my work for the team isn't zeroed. It is a team challenge after all!
    I also do not completely agree with you regarding the colouring. I think a good rendering is something that will help us succeed. I agree that your linework needs to come through, and the action you portrait also needs to remain visible but a well rendered image has a lot of impact.

scroll down for a chart of different elements/symbols associated with the different suits of a tarot deck

1-3. Art Deco Ironwork and Ornaments. We could make nice frames for our entries in this vein. And we could just start sketching interesting forms and then mirror them digitally: Perfectly symmetrical frame!
    4. An Idea for the Lovers card if we think that two characters in one card are too crowded: We put an amulett around her neck and put a foto of him in the necklace. Problem solved!
    5. An Art Nouveau Tarot Deck for inspiration. I like how parts of the illusration are left white like the background. Gives them a nice graphical feel we could use as well.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 850 Posts
    Now you do have the right to disagree. I'd just like to know why and what are your alternatives. The reason why I'd recommend working translucently is because that's how you achieve that look. The reason why I insist on inking some clean simple outlines is because that's how it's done. We can easily change the color of the ink in photoshop. We can even dump it in the end. Not to mention ink saves time and makes the process of rendering much more forgiving. The imagery we are working on is going to get very loaded and time management is a necessity. Hell if there is any time left we can always pick up the cards nobody else volunteered for. Besides the rendering is going to be high quality, just no show-offy.
    Team ChoW III - Pirate Ship LollipopTeam ChoW III - Pirate Ship Lollipop
    I really dig that iron ref you posted. How are you with illustrator? I'm not very good at the technical aspects of it, but it would really come in handy for the calligraphy.

Tomorrow/tonight is new years eve and new years day will be monster hangover day, but I will do all I can tomorrow morning. I recommend you have a happy new years eve as well

Thanks
    Here's some more photo ref. This time it's about black people in black face. Some how I think we can make it dignified. It's pretty dangerous territory, but I believe it's a part of the history and hard to ignore. I understand if you don't want to go there.
    Last edited by Raoul Duke; December 31st, 2009 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks
    I realise that you wanted to immitate the aquarelle-like colours of Muchas work but I had this idea that mabye it could look interesting rendering special areas of an image, its focal point for instance, like a face or so. If we do it right it could look actually quite unique.
    Inking is a good idea of course. I personally do not use this technique, but I realise its pro-points so I am all for it.
    I also agree that we should concentrate on our four/five main cards. And I am willing to give extra time in this project to make more cards and gain some bonus points.
    I do not own/use Illustrator so I won't be a help on that front, but I agree that the font will be essential to our laout. These are supposed to be cards after all.
    What type of frame you posted do you like more? The more organic and asymmetrical one or the one with the star-dressed girl? I think an organic frame might look interesting but will be harder to pull of. But I guess we need some obstacles!
    Not sure about the black face images you posted so I will need more explanation before I can say anthing.

Here are some ideas for the lovers:

Thanks
    Btw, these are the dimensions we need for our cards, just to give us the general idea.

Thanks
    great stuff guys looking forward to see were you take this whole voodoo look hope to see alot of jamacian/cajiun people making zombies

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Undeadartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blackface has a controversial stigma. It was created as a way to mock African Americans or have a white actor play an African American on stage. Some racist establishments would force black performers to wear the black make up to create the impression that they were only pretending to be black. Black face can still be found today in some parts of the world. There is a black face character in Dragon Ball Z and even on a series of mexican stamps. So long as we keep the imagery respectfully ironic and dignified, this shouldn't be offensive.

I'm not saying all of the characters should be in black face, just like how not all of the characters need to be zombies, but I think black face could serve well for characters like the Page of Cups. The aesthetics are amazing, the cultural reference would drag the allegories deeper.

I'll post some drawings later tonight. My hand is shaky today because of my massive hang over.

Thanks

Thanks
    I'm nearly finished with the easy part of inking this bastard. Tomorrow I'll have to clean up the line weight. I'll send you the PSD as well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey, It is looking awesome. I like the lines, the face especially (nice ears) and the rooster of course. A few things we need to think about: This sketch seems a little broad for the canvas we are supposed to use, so I would think about making the frame in the background narrower. Also, what design are you basing the frame on? I would research some more Art deco iron work for it. It is looking swirly and decorative, but not very Nouveau to me. That shouldn't be a problem in photoshop though.
    I also wanted to suggest that I can make teh lines for the High Priestess as I have been lerning quite a bit here in Italy in regards of stylization, and exagerating features etc to achieve a more vivacious sketch. On Monday I will be back home and I'll post my new work.
    Another thing I would also suggest is to let the man look a lot more drugged by the alcohol he has been drinking and the Cigars. Close his eyes more for instance. I am off to eat now, but I'll be back later on.

Very nice work Raoul.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,280 Posts
    haha yall putt'n on a MADD SHOW an dig the match'n avatars WICKED GOOD LUCK IN THE COMP AN LOOK'N FORWARD TO SEE'N THE FINALS HAHA YALL RRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    When it comes to the proportions what is the exact ratio? I was using the Fibonacci rectangle. It's easy to calculate and has many uses in art, not to mention my sketchbooks use the same ratio. But If there is an official size we are supposed to work at, then we have no choice. The proportions you posted are flimsy numbers and it would be difficult to keep them the same as we work small to big and back to small.

Edit: no grannie you rrrroooooooocccccccckkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Small team that packs a lot of punch. Gonna be fun! Cheers guys and good luck.
    Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

17. The Following User Says Thank You to B-Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Granny and B-Man. I hope we live up to your expectations.
    And Raoul, due to me not having photoshop yet I think its best if you just check out the proportions of the canvas we need to use in the official main thread. It's in deastwens first post. I do not mean you compositional proportions, these seem right to me, but rather the given aspects we need to respect.

Here some ideas for the High Priestess.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I spent all day working on fancy calligraphy only to realize less is more.

I asked daestwen if there was a sequence to go with this ratio. I hope there is.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast