Team ChoW III - Pirate Ship Lollipop - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Team ChoW III - Pirate Ship Lollipop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Avert your eyes if your not don't like ugly. I'm just testing the water for the color scheme. The colors I'm working with are dark teal and maroon as a base for values, a red purple for the face, brown for the suit and a muted bright red for the lips.

The values are shitty at this point, but I'm just trying to figure out the game plan until you get back to your computer.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    haha thats some WICKED LINE WERK Raoul Duke an RAD break Down JANOS HAHA I CANT WAIT TELL WE'RE DONE!!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Duke's drawing is an asskicking one, i really like it, but i think its too early on this contest to have a closed idea on the 4. day. You got time boyz !

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jozulus and Granny. Hope we live up to your expectations and we surely will try to keep our ideas flowing throughout the month. These aren't the final images, so do not worry.

Raoul, I am back home and ready to rumble. How about you give me a line drawing I will try to colour and then we'll see how that works out. I will also start work on the High Priestess and post her here soon.
    I like the tones you chose for the image, and I like the atmpsphere they create. I would say my problems are with the line work atm. If he is supposed to be black I would take some sharpness form the nose and as I said before make his eyes drowsier.
    Also I really do not like the cup symbol. Sorry . I say we try something a little less canon and go with some more modern interpretations of the symbols. We could for instance use different alcohol glasses, like the one on the piano, as cups. Weapons like bats as wands. Amulets as Pentacles and some weird voodoo knives as swords. Like the idea?
    I also wouldn't put them as a design element in the card but rather integrate them organicly in the image, like you did with the brandy glass on the piano. It will be a lot more modern and appealing I think, and if we put focus on them with colour and value for instance they will keep their important status.

Cheers

EDIT: This is of course just a very rough idea. The execution is still abysmal....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm glad to see you back. I kinda forgot to make his eyes more dopey. About his nose I could go either way, just remember this guy is in blackface, so he can have white features. Notice how his hair is straight. Although black people can straighten their hair, I went a little out of the way to give the suspicion that he is white.

About the cup I just had an idea this morning about using an absinthe glass, the brandy snifter can be a part of the mess on the ground.

I wish I could have done a better job on the calligraphy. I really find the nouveau aspect to be pretty important. If only I was better at it.

I'll send you a psd. Don't worry about rendering yet just think about blocking in shapes and experimenting with different colors. Leave the borders alone for the time being I have to create something interesting, unless you want to give the graphics a shot.

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds good!
    I am willing to do the more design/layout aspect of this chow if you want. Would you rather have an organic deco frame or something that clearly is detached form the character? It could go either way, and also the typography could be integrated into the decorations or be set apart.
    Following is a rather simple nouveau frame which would tie our cards together I think. If we make the frame look like iron work and make it real gritty I think it would complement the nouveau style of the characters more than too much swirly, assimetrical stuff.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay man give it a shot. Maybe you could incorporate a cup shape for the border.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; January 5th, 2010 at 11:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As a member of a civilized artistic navy, I felt it my duty to respond to Raoul Duke's threats in a manner properly befitting them. The despicable sea shanty he posted was completely inappropriate considering women and children were present. I believe the admiralty will agree that your demise is the only option.

I have also used the services of a captured pirate to translate, should you fail to understand an educated tongue. He says you will understand, "Avast Swabbies! We'll send ye to the briny deep!"

;P

"I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers." - Kahlil Gibran

Sketchbook: Critique greatly appreciated =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah this guy just likes seamen. He's no pirate. Here's a link to his thread http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=177864

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How would you feel about this being the face of the priestess?

PS: post 100 for this thread and 900 for me. God damn that's allot of posts.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; January 6th, 2010 at 07:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here some progress:
    I played around with a backlight that could add some nice drama. It's clearly not finished but I like the way its shaping up. What do you think Raoul?
    I like your High Priestess, are you going to go ahead and finsh her up? I do not mind, I can then concentrate on the rendering/colouring. I was also thinkng about adding some texture layers to make the watercolour effect clearer, in the vein that the amazing bluefooted uses layers (http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3...dchow99py4.jpg). Clearly we shouldn't go overboard with those.
    I do not like the idea of a cup shaped border especially not that literal. I will try some more abstract shapes though and we will figure out what we like then.
    Sounds good?

Greetz

PS: Theechoinside, you and your mates should prepare for some real piraty spanking. We aren't going to give up easily. Har har.

Last edited by Janos; January 6th, 2010 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet style you guys are going for! Liking the colors but please don't let it cloud your very cool and unique inking lines. Looking forward to see more!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see where it's going and I like the lighting, especially how it shines through the pants, but the colors need to be rich translucent and pale just like watercolor. Since I see a few issues of miss-communication in my line work, I'll send you notes and I'll fill the objects.
    I found a tutorial by bluefooted. I'll take some time to do some master studies on nouveau calligraphy. You should do some master studies of the color.

Nightblue-Thanks for your thoughts. Very helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Raoul

I see what you mean man. I also had that tutorial in mind, but I was just experimenting a bit with the colours. I will try to colour it a tad differently and follow some of bluefooted tips. Hope you are well.

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    check out these brushes I found. I think they could be real helpful in creating some effects.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here just some experiments with texture layers, nothing dramatic yet. Raoul, I am gonna go to bed now, but I will check out the brushes tomorrow. I really do not feel a very pastel/whimsy watercolour approach is fitting for our subject matter. What would you change with my colouring?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow this looks so much better Now I'm convened we are heading in the right direction. You should send me your psd, so I can work on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I forgot to say when I posted that I think your theme idea is awesome by the way, and the WIP looks great. I like the moody/contrasting colours and dramatic lighting. Though I think the piano as it is right now detracts from it a bit... The character is so dynamic and the piano so rigid and the view so directly side on that it just feels odd. Maybe it's just me though, and feel free to take critique from "the enemy" ;P as you will but, yeah thought I'd mention it. Still very cool, I'm going to have to link a friend of mine when you finish, she recently moved near New Orleans for school and is entranced with the history and mysticism there.

Oh and Janos, promising spankings never ends well, some people might take you up on it ;P

"I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers." - Kahlil Gibran

Sketchbook: Critique greatly appreciated =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the invite. Too bad about losing DH, his work looked great. Janos, those are really beautiful photos from Italy, I'll be travelling there sooner than later.

I'll do my best to get up to speed on what you guys are doing here and start posting my prelims for this project. It looks like you guys really have a handle on what you're doing here conceptually. Janos, I was wondering if you might allow me to make a really detailed crit of the piece you're working on before it's finalized?

I will have at least something up by tonight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a little help

I took the care to give you guys a pretty thorough crit here. I didn't have the time to get into every little thing, but it's a start at least. I really like the 2 dimensional design that you have going. I feel that it's very appropriate. The color palette is very nice too, though the color could be used to describe the planes a bit better.

When drawing drapery, take care to research the character of the material that you are drawing. I found some tuxedo reference just by typing the word into google.

The material is crisp and planar in nature. It is important to consider that the folds created are only the result of the cut of the suit and the form that the wearer takes underneath. In my version, the only folds that I drew were half locks wherever there is a bend in the form underneath. You can put in more folds if you like, I prefer to keep it simple for clarity's sake. The important thing is that you always consider how gravity will effect the way the suit hangs. Always check yourself in a mirror, not to copy what you see, but to understand the principles.

The Famous Artists Course has the best explanation of drapery that I've seen so far:
    http://sevencamels.blogspot.com/2008...-part-one.html

I diagrammed a few points on perspective and construction. Please don't copy my drawing, since it is too 3 dimensional for a tarot card illustration, which should essentially be a flat, symbolic graphic. Just try to see how some 3 dimensional thinking might help the drawing that you have already made. You will also notice that in my little version, the character doesn't look like he's about to ash on himself.

I hope I don't come across as being a hard-ass. These are the technical aspects of drawing that I focus on in my own work, so I can readily spot them and offer help when trouble arises.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to keith eager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heyo Keith.
    Nice to see you here, I send you a pm regarding your official status as a PIRATE SHIP LOLLIPOP
    I really appreciate the comments and crits. It is all stuff we are going to use and incorporate. Before you get going with anything else Raoul and me have decided to put you up for a little test. We really think you could benefit us a lot but more than a week has passed since I pmed you and now we are pretty much a two-man team. BUT as I said, we are willing to see you work with us in a team so check your inbox and we will go on from there.

To all our visitors: Thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bad news everybody, I just got news an old friend of kicked the bucket and the ceremony is on Saturday, so I might not be back until Monday.

My brother let me have his scanner so I'm going to post as much as I can. tonight, just encase I won't be in touch tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is the fancy calligraphy I have been practicing so much this week. I hope I have improved.

the ornamentation on the sides are abstract absinthe glasses chained together. I'll adjust the size later, but right now I'm in a bit of a rush.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my pitch for the 7 of wands. There are 7 angry zombie slaves revolting against the slave master. They are carrying a total of five sticks, but the slave master is wielding a torch and a whip totaling seven wands.

This plays a part in the history of voodoo. Voodoo zombies are not flesh eaters or even undead, they are drugged to be numb, thoughtless slaves. In this image they are sort of becoming aware of the situation and are not happy about it.

Please excuse the sloppy pencils.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my pitch for the lovers. It's based on one of Janos's thumbnails.

Basically I'm following the story of the card and giving it a voodoo twist. The fool is played by a slightly zombified slave and the lady is a southern bell. They have been struck by cupids arrow. The slave is outside in a field on a moonlit night and the bell is inside a candle lit dining room. A python is wrapped around the two. The python is a duel symbol, it's both a voodoo symbol of their god and in christianity as you guessed it adam and eve. Louisiana voodoo is highly influenced by catholicism, so the two merge together.

Sorry for so many consecutive posts, but you know the situation. More to come.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a change of heart after drawing the six of pentacles, but the symbolism is all there. The card represents a force of success and wealth. The thing I screwed up on was I made him too intimidating and ferocious. It has the greed vibe going for it as is. I'd rather have it neutral. So I'd like to see your interperetaions.

The symbolism is subtle but grand none the less. He has six fingers, six toes. He's tossing up six bills and six coins. He's wearing a total of six chains. He has six (gold?) teeth. He has a boa constrictor with six spots. If there is anything you can incorporate six of, then go for it.

Anyways that's all for tonight.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; January 8th, 2010 at 03:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry to hear that Raoul. My condolences.

I tried working with your very nice border designs and came up with the following. I am sending you the psd file per mail. The text is clearly only a place holder atm.

Keith, no problem with the time, I hope you are able to integrate yourself in the design process so late though. Show us what you've got!

Here is the progress:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

34. The Following User Says Thank You to dwinbotp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oy Raoul.

I am eagerly awaiting the line work for the lovers! My fingers are really iching for them. Are you sure you want her to be a southern belle though? WOuldn't a nice blak girl fit more?
    Thanks dwinbotp for the bump.

Jamesy is offline Kevin Durant's Manstalker Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Prince of Cups is looking great! Are you guys collaborating on all the pieces?

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamesy For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2