Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Whoa... that's something, feels as if i missed 2 days of replies lol
    First, sorry to hear that Janos, hope you are working hard on it, and it stops soon =/
    2nd, just sent them to you Janos
    So, most of this was about the last chow... sorry but i didn't get in =/, i should have thou... Nice to see your entries, and about the crits you both made, I agree with both of you... and my best crit is that, maybe it's just me, but, your character design were too simple, very simple, i guess that didn't help at all.
    Nice to see raoul's got an understanding in composition, I saw very little of the law of thirds in my class last semester, but it seemed too simple, or at least, that's what it looked like because of the way the taught it to us.

And, umm, i'm gonna upload more sketches, so you can tell me crits, or something to get it better, just the bigger girl and the girl with some strange hat are from imagination, the others are reffed... I'm getting the idea of working with pen, this is like the first time I'm really doing it, they say it's good for getting better lines, right? it seems really hard when I'm drawing from imagination, but when it comes to ref's it's easy =o... any advices?

Going to keep the practice more and more, to be at least a little more prepared to draw faster for the chow.

Also, why the skull? what am I supposed to do with it o_o?? like, draw it for practice =O?

How are you doing raoul?? is everything ok over there?
    c ya!
    -DHTenshi

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Give my sketchbook a visit and tell me what you think n.n

> S K E T C H B O O K <

My gallery
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 850 Posts
    Yo diego I really can't give a good crit for these pen sketches, but I can tell you the difference between working from imagination and working from ref. When you have a photo all the decisions are made for you at that point it's like following orders. All of the angles have been set and the edges are already defined, the facts are all there. You seem to understand what these edges and angles are doing. You seem to understand the underlying structure, which means I have faith that you can improvise. That's what working from the imagination really is, it's improvising the facts.

My mind works the other way around. When I see a photo, it's like I'm reading it, looking for the cliff notes, and I find a way to relate it to my imagination and envision it's potential and envision the line and brush strokes it takes to get there, I look for shortcuts along the way.

And no you don't have to draw the ref I posted, but you will need it later.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm having a rough time with the lollipops, but this is the latest sketch

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu!
    Thanks
    Uhhh... me likey like.
    DH (can I call you DH?) I agree with all of your comments about foto vs. imagination. The best way to train your imagination sketches is by studying form real life though. Draw your mom, or your girlfriend, or your friends. If you observe them exactly, how their noses look, how the ear is attached to the face, you brain will automatically remember certain stuff and then later on, you might have a good idea of how to draw a certain nose which fits your character.
    Raoul first of all nice ref picture. And nice sketch. I was kinda thinking though that the vector skull has a certain childish flair we could embrace? If you hate it, by all means, please continue with your sketch. Its looking awesome and the lollipops in the eyesocket idea is dope.

Nice to have a dialogue going guys. I also had an idea to see what we can come up with: I say we all try to paint 6 very characteristic faces in our own style, and than we compare a little just to see how we could mesh? I'll post mine later on in the afternoon, when I've finished repairing the leak. Btw the leaking stopped at about 3 am (center-european timezone) so had a few hours of sleep.
    I also had an idea that we could base the characters that we make, regardless
    if they are steampunk, heroic fantasy, sifi or whatever, on a childrens storybook eg. Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, Hensel and Gretel, an arabian fable or a childrens story from another part of the world. Just an idea!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

sink or swim

I'm gonna email this to you suckaz and we'll see how this collaboration goes after that.

Thanks
    I like the idea, that we all use the psd file Raoul send us to create our avatar form that. We will have variety but the same basic design. Everyones happy! Tell me if you dig the idea and I'll update my avatar.
    This is my idea:

Thanks
    Janos- Looks okay so far, did you send the latest version to Teneshi? I think we need to use much more of that dull muddy brown, so we can go back to making the lollipops pink. I think the green really pops well, but it sort of deviates from the team colors. It's my fault for being too liberal with the hot pink. So let's just use it where it needs to pop.
    How's the flood doing?

Last edited by Raoul Duke; December 23rd, 2009 at 06:59 PM.

Thanks
    Janos- I just read your post on the last page. If you want to do some practice work, maybe we should participate in the POW 5 covers in 5 weeks thing. I think it would be great practice if anything. I'll ask if it would be legit. But first lets finish the logo.

Thanks
    Maybe something like this? I went with raoul's idea of the hot pink, and also, we can "carve" our names on it and put them as avatars , and i dunno what else to do
    Thanks guys, i sure will learn a lot from you guys!

didn't really do any faces today, maybe tomorrow, i guess.

Give my sketchbook a visit and tell me what you think n.n

> S K E T C H B O O K <

My gallery

Thanks
    It's certainly not going to be legible, but still awesome none the less. I think we need to clean up some of my sloppy edge work.

DH-Can you work on the temples? while I work on the tooth cylinder and cheek bones.

I'm going to email you guys a brush pack. There is one in specific that I use half the time.

Thanks
    I made a tutorial about the way I set my brush, so it looks natural and consistent. So far consistensy hasn't been a problem, but you may want to know what tools I'm using incase you want to fix my mistakes.

Note- the flow, size, opacity and angle are all subjective. I tend to adjust them as I progress, Usually as I work smaller the flow and opacity gets higher.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; December 24th, 2009 at 02:19 PM.

Thanks
    Hey, you guys are getting along so well, its looking great. I agree, lets ditch the green, and the carved names are awesome, They just need to be bigger I think, or at least more visible.
    I am so sorry that I can't be of a lot of help without a tablet and all, so for teh time being I'll have to depend on you guys. Panel of the week sounds great. I guess we'll just work individuall and talk about our progress here? Do you think its better to make 5 completely different images or tie them together style wise?

Thanks
    Hows about you shoot some great reference when you get the opportunity. You are in Italy. Find some beautiful oldschool ghettos to shoot for that apocalyptic cover. We'll improvise something like this into the images you shoot.
    Team ChoW III - Pirate Ship Lollipop

Last edited by Raoul Duke; December 24th, 2009 at 05:34 AM.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5