Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Team ChoW III - Pirate Ship Lollipop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,778 Times in 848 Posts
    Follows
    Following

sink or swim

I'm gonna email this to you suckaz and we'll see how this collaboration goes after that.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the idea, that we all use the psd file Raoul send us to create our avatar form that. We will have variety but the same basic design. Everyones happy! Tell me if you dig the idea and I'll update my avatar.
    This is my idea:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Janos- Looks okay so far, did you send the latest version to Teneshi? I think we need to use much more of that dull muddy brown, so we can go back to making the lollipops pink. I think the green really pops well, but it sort of deviates from the team colors. It's my fault for being too liberal with the hot pink. So let's just use it where it needs to pop.
    How's the flood doing?

Last edited by Raoul Duke; December 23rd, 2009 at 06:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Janos- I just read your post on the last page. If you want to do some practice work, maybe we should participate in the POW 5 covers in 5 weeks thing. I think it would be great practice if anything. I'll ask if it would be legit. But first lets finish the logo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe something like this? I went with raoul's idea of the hot pink, and also, we can "carve" our names on it and put them as avatars , and i dunno what else to do
    Thanks guys, i sure will learn a lot from you guys!

didn't really do any faces today, maybe tomorrow, i guess.

Give my sketchbook a visit and tell me what you think n.n

> S K E T C H B O O K <

My gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's certainly not going to be legible, but still awesome none the less. I think we need to clean up some of my sloppy edge work.

DH-Can you work on the temples? while I work on the tooth cylinder and cheek bones.

I'm going to email you guys a brush pack. There is one in specific that I use half the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I made a tutorial about the way I set my brush, so it looks natural and consistent. So far consistensy hasn't been a problem, but you may want to know what tools I'm using incase you want to fix my mistakes.

Note- the flow, size, opacity and angle are all subjective. I tend to adjust them as I progress, Usually as I work smaller the flow and opacity gets higher.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; December 24th, 2009 at 02:19 PM.

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, you guys are getting along so well, its looking great. I agree, lets ditch the green, and the carved names are awesome, They just need to be bigger I think, or at least more visible.
    I am so sorry that I can't be of a lot of help without a tablet and all, so for teh time being I'll have to depend on you guys. Panel of the week sounds great. I guess we'll just work individuall and talk about our progress here? Do you think its better to make 5 completely different images or tie them together style wise?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hows about you shoot some great reference when you get the opportunity. You are in Italy. Find some beautiful oldschool ghettos to shoot for that apocalyptic cover. We'll improvise something like this into the images you shoot.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; December 24th, 2009 at 05:34 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ghettos...mhh, none of them in our vicinity, but I will try to make some fotos. I do think we should work on the pow stuff individually though, to be elegible. I am happy to help though of course. I'll see what I can get hold on, ghetto wise.
    Later on I'm gonna post my ideas in the pow thread, I guess we should keep this thread for our team chow only.
    Also, I like the way our logo is turning out, I think it might be ready soon to use as avatar and Logo. I feel kind of useless, but I reall couldnźt add anything with paint and a mouse.

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How's about some ruins or maybe an interesting shot of the harbor. Maybe do some sketches of a cool old school hang out. At this point I'm living vicariously.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; December 24th, 2009 at 02:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is my tracing of a piece of dh's work. This is just a personal exercise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A message from Chuck Norris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NOt sure if you can use any of those, but here are some fotos. Oh and If you think the skull is ready I am going to just use it as my avatar?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work Janos. My favorites are 1, 5 and 7. These are all so verry pretty, but I think #5 would be the easiest composition to work with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So tomorrows the day of days. I guess as soon as the topic is announced We are all just going to go bonkers/mad with ideas, and that is good. I say we just write/draw everything we can think of and imagine on paper and then post it here. First just our personal approach, and then, we can mould it together to make our supermegatron team chow out of it and kick all the others asses in here.

GO PIRATE SHIP LOLLIPOP!

Edit: Oh and if you guys are up for it put up your new awesome avatars. Good job again to you DH and Raoul. The skull looks awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeha! Awesome. Now we only need DH to update and we are one awesome team. I am off to bed now, sorry guys but its late here. So exited about the topic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay Guys, please do not hate me, but I had the luck to enter the team chow thread just as daestwen was putting up the new theme and it is....

drumroll.....

Tarot Card Characters

Interesting topic and if we do not go down the cliche route it is going to be awesome. Go read the description and rules in the general thread. I thought it would be wise to pick two of the major arcana already now, as they are going to be gone in a matter of hours. Who gets there first gets to pick. We are supposed to to 6 characters (or more) as the rule is two cards for each team member ( we do not have to work on two individually of course).
    Again, please do not hate me, but I picked The High Proestess and The Lovers, purely based on instinct, that they can make great cards/characters.
    Now, the brainstorming begins. In the attachment you will find, the two Tarot cards I enlisted us for. We have a minimum of 4 more to do. Of course I am going to leave you to pick the rest, and again, I wasn't tring to be selfish, I just thought I rather get in there fast. Also, as we decided to all work together on each characterm I guess all is well.

Last edited by Janos; December 26th, 2009 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some Ideas/themes we could use to tie our characers together:
    MIght be because I am in Italy atm and that I am half italian, but what if we somehow make the chracters typical italian ( For the Empress I imagined an old wise grann in the kitchen or something) and the lovers a handsome guy with slicked back dark hair, and a beautiful girl, with long dark wav hair and dark eyes. Clearlythere would have to be a twist to this theme, as it would be too boring otherwise. So how about making them Italian Countryside Steampunks. We could pick another card as the evil Mafioso who was refused by the girl and now tries to tear the lovers apart, even if they have to die. And there also could be her small brother with a mech dog or whatever. We could even go as far a romeo Juliette sort of backstor maybe. Just some ideas. Style wise think of the following moodboard. Again, your input is vital, because with your dimensions of thought added this could be most awesome.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Janos- I like the idea of using the Italian countryside for environments. I think an homage of Mucha would be classy. Remember steam punk is a scifi fabrication of the composition. The Victorian stuff is going to push the composition.
    here's a good link to give us some ideas http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...7&postcount=86

PS: Oh yeah absolutely no goggles or any other steam punk cliches. We don't want this to look like a gimmick.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; December 26th, 2009 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heyo,
    Nice to hear you like the idea. And I totally agree with the steampunk. I was just looking for something to make the rather "boring" approach of italian countryside more interesting. But I guess we can find other ways.

What do you think DH?

Also.... the link ou send me.... God how awesome is that post. That is something I really am aiming for. Being able to make these geaourgeous, artistic illustrations. Raoul, I think you really get what I like and what I dislike.
    Art nouveau is, how else could it be, also one of, if not my favourite artstle. The artistic approach, the layout and design sensebilities and the colours are just an ideal for me.
    I would love to do an Art nouveaou approach, but also here I guess we have to watch out not to slide into a cliche approach.

I had an idea for our italian countryside-with-a-twist-theme idea:
    What if we make the area we populate our characers in a warzone? And teh love affair of our beautiful lady an African? Just to spice things up? Or, specifically for the image of the Lovers: How about the image shows her sitting infront of her mirror, and on the mirrors edges there are fotos of her love. We get a character image and a story arch, and we wouldn't have to deal with the two characters in one image problem... which could actuall be quite exititing, for instance if they are interacting as lovers like kissing, or lying in bed. I guess the character design would be held quite low in that case.
    Also, I guess Raoul, you should go pick two cards that inspire you as well, before we are left with the scraps. I hope DH gets here in time to get what he finds inspiring. I mean, we are all going to work together in the end obviously.

Also, I just wanna state, that the italian idea, is just that.... an idea. What themes can you guys come up with?

EDIT2: Here is an homage to mucha I did two years ago. A quite blunt approach, but we could be subtler and use him as an inspiration rather then copying his style. For instance his way to paint hair.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1240668273

Last edited by Janos; December 26th, 2009 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the italian country side idea. Maybe for the lovers we can have a black couple with afros (I know it sounds silly just hear me out) If you can sift through the shit you can find some beautiful blaxploitation posters. Allot of them have a Mucha-esque quality. Now it's just one possible direction, but we can't do both stem punk and blaxploitation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uhhh...afros. Okay, I am just now looking through the link you posted. I like the contrast to the italian countryside. I do not get the afro atm, but that might come with time. I think an interracial couple might be more intersting though. Actually the girl could be black, and the guy white?
    Also another idea: We could pick a card of wands, which look like actual sticks in the well known tarot deck, and make the card be a peasant carrying a heap of sticks on his back.
    Uh... another idea (sorry they are just streaming out atm) and this one is in no way meant offensive or even racist.
    What if this world we create is actually a world that looks like the italian countryside, but in which the ruling system is very much alike the southern states of America before the civil war? The slaves could be gathering vegetables instead of cotton for instance, or flowers (the region I am in atm harvests these all over the place) and the love story could be between a white girl/boy falling in love with a slave (The Lovers). Her/his fiance could be the evil doer (The Devil?), a slave could be shown harvesting (ten of wands for instance with the wands being depicted as sticks) and so on? There could be the greedy plantage owner, the wise grandma cooking. Also DH I so envisioned some of you faces for the characters. I think you could realy get the greed in the plantage owners face for instance.

Edit: Regarding the blaxploitation link. We could actuall make the character collage in a way like these posters. Generally many movie posters use this technique to get the characters known to the public on a singel poster. We would mostly use Portraits of course, so we would have to do these extra. Here is what I mean with the collage poster:

Last edited by Janos; December 26th, 2009 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guess who's back?

Yeah yeah, I know by now you all are tired of me, but I just wanted to say that deastwen said the card design is important as well, so keep that in mind. A backside would be fun as well, but is not required.
    I just wanted to tell you, that I couldn't have two better team mates. With your graphic approach Raoul and your faces/photoshop skills DH we are going to rock. Imagine the two illus you did in the attachement meshed together in a sunny italian countryside, in which slavery is present and a love affair between a slave and her owners causes major drama. Now envision it in a simple and nice layout design, in your hands as a one of a kind Tarot card. And now envision it with Raouls awesome chicken in one of the images! Awesome right?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok guys, i really need to chat with both of you, but lets not make this long, just...

im sorry, i wont be participating... please forgive me, start looking for other team members, i dont want to be participating in anything related to tarot cards, im sorry... we can talk later, but this is basically it...

im sorry for being such a letdown, but i just wont do anything related to that, if you cant forgive me, then, its ok, do as you please, i understand that this has been really amazing, i actually got along very well with you, we (actually almost only raoul but...) made a logo, i was sketching a lot preparing for this, janos took really cool photos to use as reference, and actually already had 2 cards selected, and i know you have great expectations for this, and that's why i'm apologizing ._.

so, i will help you, if you want, to find another team member, and i sure hope a lot better than me, so, tell me, and i will happily look for someone, thou i don't know almost no one here...

Sorry guys

-DHTenshi

Give my sketchbook a visit and tell me what you think n.n

> S K E T C H B O O K <

My gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DH-Sorry to see you go. I understand this is a religious no no.

Janos- Instead of explaining all these ideas to me just sketch them out. Because I'm having a hard time envisioning the imagery with all the bells and whistles. If we are going to go the slave plantation route, lets give these a voodoo aesthetic, accompanied by the Mucha style of composition.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkostas View Post
    Ok prepare for the battle
    So we meet again. Hope you don't mind getting your ass kicked!

Last edited by Raoul Duke; December 26th, 2009 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am going with the Prince of Cups because he's artistic. My design might be a voodoo man playing the pipe organ. Chicken bones, skulls and cigarette butts in shot glasses will line the composition. There will be allot of smoke going on.

I'm going with the Six of Disks because it represents success. I think I'm going to have zombie with an a bushy gray beard, rocking a dirty white suit, no shoes and lots of bling.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; December 26th, 2009 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So sorry to see you go DH, but I think I understand where you are coming from. We will definitely miss your painting skills.
    Are you sure though? It would really be awesome!
    Oh and I think there is no need for you to search for another team member. I guess Raoul and I are going to go as a two-man team or maybe find someone else. SOrry again to see you go. Lets stay in touch though, in case there is a fourth team chow coming up.

Raoul I think you and me are on the same page with this one. I did some very rouch (very very rough) idea sketches for the lovers card. I love your idea of vodoo and zombies mixed in. How about the slaves are all actuall zombies? And the love INterest is one as well? Would that go too far? Anyways I presume the shot glasses are going to stand for the cups in your Prince of cups design? I am alo not sure what you mean with the white suited Zombie. I hope you don't mean a disco suit but rather a Versace one, or one like southern plantage owners used to wear? I guess I wouldn't put him in a suit, but just explain your idea more to me, and we'll figure something out.
    My sketches will be up later on.

Janos

Edit: Oh and Raoul, go pick another Card, preferably a MAjor Arcana, cause you haven't picked one of those yet and I have picked two. I am going with a mnor Arcana.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2