Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Team ChoW III - Pirate Ship Lollipop

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu!
    Thanks
    Hey DH.
    WIth gestural abstraction I think Raoul ment that he can depict movement in a pose quite well, which is something that I struggle with for instance. And the Diorama I meant was the image in which we could put all the characters we create, to present them as a group.

Your rendering is probably the best, so you should do the most important job of colouring, but I'll help you with that of course by adding basoc layers you can then develop the colours from and by maybe retouching stuff you forgot. We are stating the obvious that we want to use digital colouring, but if both of you think traditional is the way to go I am up for that, too. DIgital is easier to develop though.

And here are some fotos for you guys where I'm at atm. I would love to see some of yours as well!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh and, actually I kind of like the simplicity of the vector logo my brother did. How about we use it? We could also change our change our avatars to different views of the skull logo, for the reminder of the Chow, so that we are recognised and built some kind of attention. We've got some pretty competitive and to say the truth amazing artist groupings to fight against, so we might as well give it all we got.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 850 Posts
    My theory is from chaos comes an appreciation of order. We all need to start with a great sketch, based on great composition. The form and rhythm needs to be well accounted for first and foremost. Then we need to focus on creating the simple shapes that will demonstrate the complexities of the form. The values and edges are what's going to make this feel real, the dedication to rhythm is what's going to make it feel alive. Detail and color is only there to support the facts and gives the viewer further insight.

Here are a few examples on what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Raoul Duke; December 22nd, 2009 at 05:01 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    check out my avatar
    Sounds good to me raoul!
    Give my sketchbook a visit and tell me what you think n.n

> S K E T C H B O O K <

My gallery

Thanks
    Hey guys.
    So I'll be on for a while because our house is flooding a little and we have to dry the cracks regularly every ten minutes or so, and I volunteered to stay up, as you guys are anyway in the right time zone now. So yeah, I see the positive side!
    Oh and DH, could you please send me an av with the text you added /change DHTenshi for Janos though , with the first skull crop I posted (the one where you can't see the teeth) I haven't got photoshop, so it would take a while to make for me. Just send it to my mail adress. Thanks.

And Raoul. Amazing inspirational pieces you posted. And you are right, the first sketch is very challenging, but the first and most important pillar on which we built the character. These are amazing sketches, and I find your style to be similar, so with you sketching the basic design onto the character, it could well be very amazing.
    I'm off to mop up water now, see you in a while.
    Last edited by Janos; December 22nd, 2009 at 07:27 PM.

Thanks
    Don't get too excited. These chow entries got the same score as me. Ouch!

Janos I'm glad to see we will be awake at the same time, but those circumstances must suck. Your suffering cheers me up if that makes you feel better. I'll keep my gmail open if you want to chat.
    Last edited by Raoul Duke; December 22nd, 2009 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks
    You posted a CHow piece. God I must have been blind. Sorry I didn't vote for you. I somehow didn't realise/remember you had entered. I am off to look at your entry now.

Edit:
    I dodn't realise your name was in the image itself thats why i didn't see it in the frame or something. I actually like the style and the idea of her being huge. And the war-scene depicts her aspect of being everywhere. I think the filters and composition might have been the problem. DId you spend the time you had wanted on it? Well, sorry again, as a team we should have sticked together. Next time, I promise.
    Last edited by Janos; December 22nd, 2009 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks
    No pitty votes! If you didn't notice it, it's because I did something wrong. I'm not sure, but let's figure it out.

Thanks
    Okay my honest opinions on the piece:
    -The name and chow text in the image really detract. I'd put a nice simple and clean frame and keep the image itself clean.
    -The heigth, though a good idea, doesn't work completely here. A standing soldier could have worked wonders in making it clearer. Also teh whole scene of the battlefield isn't as readable as it could be.
    -The design of the surveyor is perhaps too basic.
    -I wouldn't have muddled around with it in photoshop, though I know that your original intention was to use watercolours. I say keep it simple!

Any crits on mine?

PS: I am too stupid for gmail chat.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    I think the filters and composition might have been the problem. DId you spend the time you had wanted on it? Well, sorry again, as a team we should have sticked together. Next time, I promise.
    the filter- I used the filter, because the paper had a horizontal tooth to begin with. So I played along with it and tried to make it look like surveillance footage. I normally I disapprove of filters, but in this case I made an exception. Maybe everybody was turned off by that. They probably dismissed my piece because anybody can use a filter.

Time-I had plenty of time to spare. I was second to submit my entry, following you. I spent about 6 hours on the watercolor piece and a couple more in photoshop.

Edit: Thanks for the crit.

Thanks
    No probs, thats what we should be here for. I see what you mean now, but yeah I didn't realise directly that it was supposed to mimic surveillance camera footage.

A question to the team now. Do you think it makes sense to think about a general theme we want to go with, like the mutation sceme another group has come up with? Or should we wait until the 26?

Thanks
    I checked for flaws in the rule of thirds and you did a great job. Most of the elements serve a purpose to the composition.

The stuff I drew in blue was stuff that wasn't necessarily contributing to the composition or could have served it's purpose better.

I think your character design itself wasn't telling me anything. She just looked like a weirdo from Greenwich Village.

The thing I was most disappointed about most of the entries was they missed the opportunity to dick with the planes of reality.

Thanks
    DH I know ref is important for ya so I found a skull with decent lighting.
    Team ChoW III - Pirate Ship Lollipop
    Last edited by Raoul Duke; December 23rd, 2009 at 01:20 AM.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast