Sketchbook: Mr.Conterno's Sketch Book, Ringling CA hopeful
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Mr.Conterno's Sketch Book, Ringling CA hopeful

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Mr.Conterno's Sketch Book, Ringling CA hopeful

Well I'm Mr.Conterno, I am looking to go to Ringling for CA in 2010. Please be honest, it's ok to be a bit brutally honest. I've only had 1 art class so I'm kind of lost on how to do specific things, any insight on that would be nice too. For example if I seem to make a lot of basic mistakes, point it out hehe.

Sorry about crappy pic quality on some, bad camera :/.

Attached Images Attached Images                  
    Last edited by Colonel Conterno; December 20th, 2009 at 12:39 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I seriously need a scanner or some thing this picture doesn't do the drawing it's due credit.

Anyways finally got another model.
    Decided to do a stylization of the arm muscles.
    Think this will go in my portfolio what do you guys think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This looks like a good start! Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you're drawing a lot from photographs. While this is good practice starting out, I would suggest take a sketchbook out with you and drawing from life. Draw any and everything--trees, people, animals, buildings--anything that strikes your fancy. Things moving, things holding still--try doing quick sketches that just jot down the idea of what you're drawing as well as longer drawings where you pick apart details. Mostly just keep drawing constantly, every day. Have pencil and paper on you at all times and never stop practicing--and keep uploading sketches here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That has got to be one of the best hands I've ever seen, wish I couls do it with so much detail, it seems the more detail I try and put in it the worse it looks. Anyway like Kasei said draw from life, lol also something I need to work on myself, keep it coming

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you for the input and the complement on the hand. Hands can be hard lol, mine either turn out great or utter crap. But yes sadly most of my stuff are from pictures :/.

I'll try to get out to the mall or some thing tomorrow. See if I cant get some sketching done. Thank you again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Colonel! It looks like you're studying... Loomis or Bridgman (the hand)? Or some other book. Keep studying, knowing the anatomy will help you draw faster, more accurate figures.

What you have here is good, but definitely get some drawings from observation in here. If you don't have access to a life drawing class or open figure drawing sessions, then going out to the mall, or pretty much anywhere, is good. The zoo is also great (better if you live somewhere warm, lol), not just for drawing people, but animals too. Include some scenery if you can, but the most important thing is to show an understanding of the human figure.

Keep drawing and posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not what I had hoped for this to turn out like but *shrug* could be worse.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nilaffle View Post
    Hi Colonel! It looks like you're studying... Loomis or Bridgman (the hand)? Or some other book. Keep studying, knowing the anatomy will help you draw faster, more accurate figures.

What you have here is good, but definitely get some drawings from observation in here. If you don't have access to a life drawing class or open figure drawing sessions, then going out to the mall, or pretty much anywhere, is good. The zoo is also great (better if you live somewhere warm, lol), not just for drawing people, but animals too. Include some scenery if you can, but the most important thing is to show an understanding of the human figure.

Keep drawing and posting!
    Yeah found a nifty book, can't remember the author. Might be able to get up to bush gardens or some thing, it's been nice weather out lately, go draw me some fluffy beings.

Thank you for the tips

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    draw things around you, or try some portraits.
    Remember that they don't care that you can copy photographs or other drawings, but that you can observe and draw what's around you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Thx for the comment in my sketchbook. I'm going for CA! hehe.

As for your sketchbook, you need to do more life drawings and i think it would be also good if you tried using other materials other than pencil,charcoal . Try using color, try making sketches of people with a ball-point pen, try moving from your safe zone ! Experiment!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cepheuss View Post
    Hey! Thx for the comment in my sketchbook. I'm going for CA! hehe.

As for your sketchbook, you need to do more life drawings and i think it would be also good if you tried using other materials other than pencil,charcoal . Try using color, try making sketches of people with a ball-point pen, try moving from your safe zone ! Experiment!
    Thank you for the advice, went to Tampa (city north of sarasota) yesterday to try to do some city type stuff. Me being amazing left my sketch book in my friends car, going to try to get those up here.

Went to star bucks the other day to try and draw people but damn is it hard. Gotta be fast or boom they shift and every thing is different lol. Didn't draw anything worth posting :/.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooo just found a place that is having models tomorrow, going to go get me those life drawings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been having some IRL issues, I will not be applying for Ringling this year. Best wishes to everyone :'(

Members who have read this thread: 1