[ALL]: Project #2: Finding Color Beyond Two Hue Centers...

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

[ALL]: Project #2: Finding Color Beyond Two Hue Centers...

Hey Painters!

Project #2 is deceptively simple: I want you to set up a still life that's white--with the exception of a single object that's basically a single color/hue. An example: a white wall in the background, a table/flat surface that's white (or has a white cloth on it), and a lemon, orange, or apple on the table.

Here's how I want you to approach it: Even though your painting setup basically looks "this and that" (white and your color), I don't want it to look like that. I want you to find interesting ways of making the color & temperature more subtle and complex than that. Pay attention to what's warm and cool in everything. Feel free to push those relationships a bit.

Even though this is a bit tricky, there's no reason that anyone without eyes can't do this. As a matter of fact, it's a great beginner AND refresher project to get you seeing into your colors & temperatures, beyond your value structure.

• 14x17-ish or slightly smaller.
    • Oils
    • One to several sittings, though very directly painted (no glazing)
    • Light your setup in a way that you feel helps you see color & temperature differences. Low or high contrast is okay as long as you're able to pay attention to the colors & temps in the shadow areas, mid-tone areas, and highlight areas.
    • Due Sunday, Jan 3rd (two weeks due to Holidays)

Post according to the guidelines in the Stickies--and post WiP's alsong with any comments or questions.

Now...go be sensitive!

Have a cool Yule and a groovy New Year!
    Nick

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Hehe, we did this assignment in school this semester. Lots of fun, and much more difficult than it seems at first .

Thanks
    Hi, Sidharth--

and yup, it's a great exercise because (big giveaway!) its concepts apply to *any* amount of Local Colors in *any* work!

I 'll get into this more a bit later into the thread, but for anyone reading: this process of finding/implementing temperature subtleties, beyond Yummier color choices, plays a role in issues as seemingly diverse as composition and focus.

Nick-Hued

p.s. I checked your website and I especially dug your still life paintings.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rusko-berger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Approx 5 hours total, all in one sitting. Sorry it took so long for me to get around to it, I'm incredibly disorganised
    This time i used a brush for the whole thing and plenty of linseed oil in mixing the colours.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Members who have read this thread: 4