[ALL]: Project #2: Finding Color Beyond Two Hue Centers...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: [ALL]: Project #2: Finding Color Beyond Two Hue Centers...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

[ALL]: Project #2: Finding Color Beyond Two Hue Centers...

Hey Painters!

Project #2 is deceptively simple: I want you to set up a still life that's white--with the exception of a single object that's basically a single color/hue. An example: a white wall in the background, a table/flat surface that's white (or has a white cloth on it), and a lemon, orange, or apple on the table.

Here's how I want you to approach it: Even though your painting setup basically looks "this and that" (white and your color), I don't want it to look like that. I want you to find interesting ways of making the color & temperature more subtle and complex than that. Pay attention to what's warm and cool in everything. Feel free to push those relationships a bit.

Even though this is a bit tricky, there's no reason that anyone without eyes can't do this. As a matter of fact, it's a great beginner AND refresher project to get you seeing into your colors & temperatures, beyond your value structure.

• 14x17-ish or slightly smaller.
    • Oils
    • One to several sittings, though very directly painted (no glazing)
    • Light your setup in a way that you feel helps you see color & temperature differences. Low or high contrast is okay as long as you're able to pay attention to the colors & temps in the shadow areas, mid-tone areas, and highlight areas.
    • Due Sunday, Jan 3rd (two weeks due to Holidays)

Post according to the guidelines in the Stickies--and post WiP's alsong with any comments or questions.

Now...go be sensitive!

Have a cool Yule and a groovy New Year!
    Nick

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe, we did this assignment in school this semester. Lots of fun, and much more difficult than it seems at first .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, Sidharth--

and yup, it's a great exercise because (big giveaway!) its concepts apply to *any* amount of Local Colors in *any* work!

I 'll get into this more a bit later into the thread, but for anyone reading: this process of finding/implementing temperature subtleties, beyond Yummier color choices, plays a role in issues as seemingly diverse as composition and focus.

Nick-Hued

p.s. I checked your website and I especially dug your still life paintings.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rusko-berger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Approx 5 hours total, all in one sitting. Sorry it took so long for me to get around to it, I'm incredibly disorganised
    This time i used a brush for the whole thing and plenty of linseed oil in mixing the colours.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Members who have read this thread: 3