Sketchbook: Once More

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Once More

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Once More

I came to this site a long time ago and made a feeble attempt at joining the community here. It wasn't long before I found myself not posting anymore. Maybe I was a little discouraged but now I'm back and with a new tablet and a copy of photoshop elements(even if I don't yet know how to use them). I am 19 and next fall I'll be attending college. In the time in between I want to make as much improvement as I can. And though Im not sure where to begin I trust in this community to lead the way.

Once MoreOnce More
    Once MoreOnce More
    Once MoreOnce More
    Once MoreOnce More
    Once MoreOnce More
    Once More

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Monochromatic; April 2nd, 2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: thumbnail
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 913 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey, nice pencil work, and welcome back to CA.
    I'd love to see your ventures with photoshop!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why were you discouraged? I think your work is very good and shows a lot of potential. My only suggestion is to maybe cut down on the manga influence a bit in favor of a more realistic style, but other than that, you're doing just fine.

As for a direction, if you're wanting to paint, start playing around with photoshop and ask plenty of questions when you get stuck (that's really the best way to learn). Perhaps trying to copy a master's painting would be a good way to dive into it. Or, take a look at THIS thread.

Hope that helps.

If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all. -Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your style it is really nice and clean, keep them coming

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all of the comments. Scribble King I think all of the great artwork here is what discouraged me at first but now I'll use it as motivation. As for the anime influence I tried to distance myself from the more generic anime stuff but hey, I did grow up whatching Dragonball Z (infact before I saw DBZ all I drew were animals). Thanks for the link.

Once MoreOnce More

Last edited by Monochromatic; February 24th, 2010 at 11:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh really cool sketches in here the wolf is awesome!

Hanny Honeymoon´s Sketchbook

Hanny Honeymoon´s BLOG

OLD Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, amazing sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The second one in this post isn't finished yet but since I probally never will here it is.

Once MoreOnce More

Last edited by Monochromatic; February 24th, 2010 at 11:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow, these are great! I really love the Alice in Wonderland (?) drawing--the one with the girl floating and the clock on the ceiling? Yeah, that one...it's fantastic. Do you plan on coloring that one? If not I really think you should, it looks like it would take color splendidly. Really nice sketches, keep 'em coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man you have a crazy sense of imagination and linework! Don't doubt yourself, it's the worst thing. Everyone is insecure, but fight it! Meanwhile just draw more and more so you don't have to feel that way. If you don't take risks the journey won't be fun.

If you ever get discouraged again read this http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=135551

I'm out to conquer the world equipped with a pencil, digital paint and a Sketchbook
    and when I do achieve that goal...I'll conquer the moon too

"When you draw nervously you end up with a nervous drawing, so drawing strongly produces lines filled with vitality"- Nightow Yasuhiro

"Use the ability you already have, and use it, and use it, and make it develop itself."-Robert Henri

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would color the kind of Alice in Wonderland one but I don't know how plus its to big to scan. Two new ones. I tried to color the first in photoshop but it just didn't look good so unfortunatley more black and white...for now.

If any one could direct me to a good comprehensive tutorial on coloring scans I would appreciate it. Even better would be if one of you could maybe guide me through it. I really have never colored anything outside of a class assignment.

Once MoreOnce More

Last edited by Monochromatic; February 24th, 2010 at 11:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a suggestion, but don't think of just coloring your pencil work, you'll never really get anywhere with that frame of mind. Instead, learn how to paint. The results will be so much better and it will open up a whole new world for you. You've already got good drawing skills (which is half the battle to becoming a proficient painter), so I believe you are ready to take your work to that next level.

After all, you're going to have to use color sooner or later in your career as an artist, so you may as well learn the best way to do it... through painting. Loomis' "Eye Of The Painter" is a great book for an introduction to painting and will help eliminate any fears you may have of this unfamiliar media. It's a free download and can be found HERE.

If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all. -Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if I'm allowed to post without art but I just realised something.

You know Scribble King...I never really thought of it as "painting" in the sense that I should apply traditional techniques in digital media. I had heared of people doing this and have even seen it done but in practice I was never very good at it. I just figured there has to be an easy way. A trick or something.

If I'm going to learn to "paint" digitally the way I would like to I should at least understand how a real painting is done. Color theory and lighting are mysteries to me. So right now I decided to actually try and learn how to paint.

Thanks for the book. I assure you I will read it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It has been a while since my last update but I have a few ideas at the moment so more is on the way. I started a digital yesterday but really don't know where to go with it so I'll post it and hope for some critique as far a direction to take it in (keep in mind I still can't color too well). And if these pics are too big someone tell me(never mind, I've resized all of the images).

Once MoreOnce More

Last edited by Monochromatic; February 24th, 2010 at 11:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well it's been a while and I haven't really improved any. I have tried painting a few times (digitally and with acrylic paint) since I started this new thread but have not gotten any better at either. I suppose until I go to school I'll just keep drawing only. Speaking of which...

Once MoreOnce More

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Show and Tell

Yet again it has been a long time since my last post. Today I looked through some of my old sketches and have realised that I really haven't posted any actual "sketches" here, as everything so far I have considered finished peices. And since these are sketches i think they also deserve more explaination and so here we go.

This first one is a self portrait done about 4 years ago. It isn't as accurate as it once was seeing as how I now have a small mustache and beard and wear earings. The pumpkin masked character is not the first I drew but for some reason is one of my favorite. She was going to end up the main character of a comic I was working on but never started about kids the trick or treat in a dream world. The more ferocious a moster they defeated or tricked the beter the reward or treat they would recieve (magic, weapons, candy, etc). I even made several short story boards. I had designed a few more characters for the story but couldn't forget this one. I have even snuck her into some of my earlier posts. The third picture is a more realistic version of her. She is still unnamed.
    Once MoreOnce MoreOnce More

Where to begin? The first is a scarecrow that is in actuality the split persona of another character not pictured. The two characters relationship is very dark but the scarecrow is cute. The two in the middle are random character designs but the third is even worse. To me it seems the characters it the last pic say alot but I drew them with no purpose in mind and it came out more confusing looking than ever. Either way I really ended up liking the weird blood crying chicken wearing a frog hat.
    Once MoreOnce MoreOnce MoreOnce More

More tough explaing. The first is a drawing of...well...I really don't know. But it was the first time I really thought about color and compostition instead of just winging it. The statue guy would be lining a tunnel the other figure would be regally walking through. I would of liked to of made a painting of the sketch but I can't paint. The second is a Drawing of Alice in wonderland, one of my favorite books the other being Hukleberry Finn. Back then I thought Wonderland would probally be a cute place but a few years ago I reread the books and have since changed my mind that it would be much more grim. The last here is a sort of brainstorm showing an alice in wonderland like scene, airships, knights, robots, pretty girls,a hand, a frog, random designs and childhood love. I'm a bit random at times.
    Once MoreOnce MoreOnce More

The first in was drawn about two years ago and though not the first in which I did this it was one of the earlier drawings of mine dispalying one of my visual obsessions, repeating black and white patterns. Another one though not in this picture are tea pots which can be seen in many of my other drawings. And last I'll end on a joke even if I am apparently the only one who finds it kinda funny.
    Once MoreOnce More

I hope you guys enjoy this miniblog and please leave comments. Whether they are positive or not they are encouraging all the same. Thanks for reading.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have found replicating what i do on paper near impossible to do on the computer so instead i decided for a change in style and subject. I even managed to colored one! It's a start...
    Once MoreOnce More

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.