Avatar movie (SPOILERS!!!) - Page 2

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im glad they didnt go for the "shoot things and make you duck" approach. Its the lensflare of 3d in movies.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to mimer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfeeras View Post
    i want to add that as i think and remember more and more about the experience, it feels a little like a dream to me. like i was flying throug pandorra myself. the 3d was absolutely stunning, the effects really "made sense" if that makes sense. It didn't seem like "oh lets add 3d to make it cool" (like Iceage 3).
    I agree. It's the only movie I've seen in 3D so far, but my suspicions that the 3D would be distracting were very false. And i too have this dream like memory of it, like a druggy out of body experience. I don't have a clear memory of it like most movies.

Oh, and the mech holding the knife was completely BAD ASS.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Serpian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    memir: i'm not saying they should have gone "captain eo" on it. but at some point they could have at least had some atmospherics like pollen or something come "off the screen".

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawley View Post
    memir: i'm not saying they should have gone "captain eo" on it. but at some point they could have at least had some atmospherics like pollen or something come "off the screen".
    They did that with insects. I actually found it triggered a true life response for me. I squinted a little and fought the urge to swat them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

aw man:

Hookswords: drat, i missed that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just got back from seeing it. Still absolutely in awe! I actually admit that I didn't have that high expectations--somehow the trailer didn't do enough for me. But whatever doubts I had, they are gone, erased! Man, I can't stop thinking of the juicy colours and sights of Pandora. When I stood up after the almost 3 hour watch, I got the feeling I had been plugged into an avatar myself and just awoke from a dreamlike experience. I was absolutely immersed the whole time. Just breathtaking.

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawley View Post
    another thing. why do we get a briefing on how hard the blue dudes are to kill with their metalized bones and then see them get mowed down just like humans?
    Probably because they were using some heavily artillery and missiles? I mean despite the fact that Jake had his fall broken, I would expect him if he had a human body, to be a least disoriented or have a broken bone of some sort. His girlfriend(sorry I forget her name) didn't have any broken bones when her animal thing that she bonded with at the end landed on her legs. With an animal of that size, her bones should be broken if they were human.

Still, there were some inconsistencies, like the oxygen masks. Sometimes when they were on the planet they weren't wearing them when they should be.

im glad they didnt go for the "shoot things and make you duck" approach. Its the lensflare of 3d in movies.
    Lol, while it's cheesy and bothers me to be startled in movies, I kind of wish they at least had some of it but it was still enjoyable.

Well they did, it was just kind of subtle. Some of the pollen came off the screen but not to the same degree as the bugs, or maybe my glasses were faulty. I went in having a rough night's sleep so maybe things weren't nearly as vivid.

I loved the movie. There were some gripes that I had, but overall I think it's good and it's easy to overlook them. Maybe my opinion will change with a second viewing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, Kanye says the truth once more. I really, really liked Avatar though.. and being my first 3d movie, it was definitley a very good experience. In the part where they throw gas grenades at the Navi tree settlement, one of them goes directly "towards you", and I actually dodged it = cool experience. But I don't think this is an Oscar amassing film, probably one or two (special effects and sound). After this treat, I can't wait for a sequel.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    an iterresing review from a scientist on the world of pandora:

From the review "First, a little background: I’m a professor of astrophysics who has
    searched for planets, worked on SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial
    Intelligence) programs, and taught classes on life in the universe.
    Right now, I’m helping to build a global network of telescopes to
    search for planets and supernovae."

linkplz: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43440

scroll down below the initial post for some updated info as well

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mimer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saw it with friends a few days ago in 3D. It's one of the few movies I'd like to see again, which is saying something considering it's almost a 3 hour movie

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I liked it and hated it.

I mean I really like all the special effects that went into it and Cameron's master of direction makes you feel involved in the movie but a few things.

WTF I know people liked the glowing phosphorous planet at night, but it really felt like George Michael should have come out at one point and Bat Nipples (thanks to Schumacker's Batman movies o.O;, yes the 80's child growing up watching Wham's "Wake me up before you go go" got stuck in my head. I can see some clever splicing with the tribe doing their ceremony around the tree and George Micheal with his gym shorts and yellow gloves...those who don't get the reference you'll see it about 2:40 into the music video.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2a...you-gogo_music

Also yeah, the point about the Navi being hard to kill and then mowing them over...what the?

The aliens being too human and being able to speak some really good English (because we have to dumb it down for the audience). I kinda have some complaints about casting racially but it's done so much now, you kinda have to shrug or throw your hands up.

I dunno why one would be upset about strategically placed vines since you got enough sideboob in the movie. To me the aliens were all too good looking. I would have liked to have seen more imperfect looking aliens, but whatever.

I like the fact that District 9 put up probably the most disgusting aliens ever but you still felt for them. You had empathy.

This was just an easy emotional grab cuz things were so pretty. Oh yeah I do not deny the pretty, and do not deny the technical accomplishments in the movie at all. I actually was sitting a few seats away (and talking to the mother of) one of the people who worked on it.

Also the Dragonfly critters just looked goofy to me. It was like their version of Nature's joke....maybe they were supposed to but it kinda rattled me out of the experience.

The other nitpick I have with the CG is every creature just had the same texture to me. Granted they were rainforest creatures but every creature looked like human/skin or leather. Nothing fuzzy?

It was definitely worth the 3d experience. I didn't feel the time in it either, unlike Batman, where I started getting impatient towards the end.

Great experience overall though.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; December 24th, 2009 at 03:26 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have my issues with it as well, but for me I felt it was easy to overlook them. And the placement of the nipples on the males really bothered me because I felt it wasn't anatomically correct. So part of me had to shut off the 'artist' to enjoy it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    The aliens being too human and being able to speak some really good English (because we have to dumb it down for the audience). I kinda have some complaints about casting racially but it's done so much now, you kinda have to shrug or throw your hands up.
    I thought about that too but then remember Sigourney Weaver's character? She had an entire school to teach and learn the Na'vi language and they had been there for years already before Jake showed up. It's not unreasonable for the nobility to learn English. If I recall, Jake needed help with translating to the entire tribe at times. Not all of them knew English fluently, I don't think. If not for that I would completely agree.

And I totally agree with the racial casting with the aliens. It was a bit too much if you ask me.

But an enjoyable movie. It's not without fault or cliche.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Enydimon View Post
    I thought about that too but then remember Sigourney Weaver's character? She had an entire school to teach and learn the Na'vi language and they had been there for years already before Jake showed up. It's not unreasonable for the nobility to learn English. If I recall, Jake needed help with translating to the entire tribe at times. Not all of them knew English fluently, I don't think. If not for that I would completely agree.

And I totally agree with the racial casting with the aliens. It was a bit too much if you ask me.

But an enjoyable movie. It's not without fault or cliche.
    Oh no, I know that, but I think it's funny that they would know the language faster or better than we would know theirs. The exception being Sully, but when you're immersed in a culture you'll know it quicker. On the other hand, it didn't seem the Na'vi were interested in the "sky people" other than them being intruders.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ARSHES NEI! Your link gave me a god damn virus. Will a mod do the courtesy of deleting that post. Great now I gotta scan my computer and probably buy the correct anti-virus software.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We have Daily motion as part of the BB code far before I was here. So if you got a virus, it's probably a false positive.

I've had no such problem watching Daily Motion for years.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arshes- Sorry for flipping out. I know daily motion is legit. I have no idea how it happened, but I clicked on the link and a warning came up saying my computer was under attack. Click okay to download xyz anti-virus. I closed the window and my firefox download window opened. Luckily I could cancel from there. Right now I'm doing a thorough spyware scan and I've already deleted my cookies. I am preparing to back up my important files as well. I still think that link could harm somebody else, maybe you should delete it.

edit: Noting came up on my spyware scan. Thank god.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; December 24th, 2009 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Arshes- Sorry for flipping out. I know daily motion is legit. I have no idea how it happened, but I clicked on the link and a warning came up saying my computer was under attack. Click okay to download xyz anti-virus. I closed the window and my firefox download window opened. Luckily I could cancel from there. Right now I'm doing a thorough spyware scan and I've already deleted my cookies. I am preparing to back up my important files as well. I still think that link could harm somebody else, maybe you should delete it.

edit: Noting came up on my spyware scan. Thank god.
    If the notice came from an anti-virus program you already have installed, it could be a false positive. Sometimes video sites can use software that some virus programs mistake for viruses. If the notice came from an unrecognized program, it could very well be a program trying to get you to download a virus by saying you're infected. i.e. the "anti-virus program" is the virus

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge Ryan View Post
    If the notice came from an unrecognized program, it could very well be a program trying to get you to download a virus by saying you're infected. i.e. the "anti-virus program" is the virus
    That seems to be what happened, because it was a program I've never heard of before.

Anyways I really liked those hyena creatures. They were my favorite species in the film.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My reaction to this film was so extraordinarily positive that all criticism I read before I viewed it, as well as my own criticism of certain visual aspects, became irrelevant to me. So positive, in fact, that I was compelled to write a lengthy and militantly fanboyish review of it. I wondered whether this thread was a suitable place to post that review. Still not sure, but fuck it, I'm pasting it here anyway.

The creature designs are the most successful ever to appear in film. I'm so glad that James Cameron used creature designers that actually knew how to use line and shape to create a good-looking animal, not to mention a sound understanding of anatomy, biology, and behavior. Each new creature was a joy. I adored that hammerhead titanothere and its territorial display. I loved the comibation of fishlike and reptilian elements in the flying beasts. The creeping, gecko-like critter that transformed into a glowing wirligig when startled was delightful. Those pack-hunting dog things were visually the least successful of the creatures, but even so their behaviors and sounds were interesting enough to make up for that. I loved the alarm display of the deer-like animal that Jake killed.
    The plants and fungi were beautiful too. Many of the plants were indistinguishable from ferns, though.
    I'm far less of a qualified judge for mechanical designs than I am for creature designs, but the technological artifacts in this film were also very well designed. The spaceship at the beginning of the film was beautiful, as were the 'copters and gunships and bombers that flew around in the atmosphere. The diggers and 'dozers on the ground provided an excellent sense of scale. What I liked best about the designs is that they looked like plausible 'evolved forms' of current vehicles. The computer interfaces were pretty sweet as well.
    Despite the resplendent beauty of the concepts and the massive amount of imagination that went into this film, the "art of" book is a pathetic wafer. Release a real artbook, dammit!

In the other Avatar thread, I was one of the more vocal critics of the design of the Navi (not sure where the apostrophe goes, so I'm omitting it), how they are identical humans except for some obvious cosmetic modifications. Like I said in my introductory paragraph, that is a valid criticism; as alien beings, totally unrelated to life on Earth, they fail. Physically, culturally, emotionally, there is very little to distinguish them from humans. However...I don't care. They are the most successful anthropomorphic pseudoaliens I've ever seen. They emoted more successfully and believably than most human actors! I really felt their joy, grief, rage, and pride. I enjoyed their cultural accoutrements as well. I particularly liked that transparent gown that the high priestess wore during the Soul Tree segments and the red body paint patterns of the coastal people's chieftain. I only wish that the concept designers had made more of an effort to give the different clans more distinctive looks. Besides the fact that the horse people rode horses, they had no memorable distinguishing visual characteristics.

The characters were likeable (or at least interesting) and fleshed out, mostly. I could feel Jake's joy as he took control of the Avatar, and his disappointment when he returned to his old body. (Making Jake parapalegic was a good plot decision. It makes sense that Jake would quickly come to enjoy being in his strong, capable Avatar body much more than his human body. Since he enjoys being a Navi more than a human, it makes sense that he would turn over to their side.) The way he joyfully smacked the bioluminescent mushrooms and poked at those retracting spiral organisms was quite endearing. I really enjoyed Weaver's toughness and assertiveness and her good-natured resentment over how Jake became more accepted into Navi society than she did. Even the characters that I'd seen criticised as being one-dimensional stock-characters--the heartless military asshole, the smiling greedy corporate asshole, and the distrustful rival native--were written and acted well enough to make them more than cardboard cutouts.
    But, the greatest character by far was Neytiri. She was wonderful, the most powerfully emotive character in the film. She had personality, she had humor and sorrow and tenacity. Her dialog was well-written and her acting, both on the part of the human actress and the animators, was superb. She was an actual, living, character, when she could have been just a generic hot native love interest. The romance between her in Jake actually had a basis in the chemistry between the characters, which is more than you can say for a lot of films. Her only major flaw is that she's the daughter of the chief and the high priestess, which is an utter cliche when it comes to hot native love interest characters.

Now, the plot. You can regurgitate comparisons to "Dances with Wolves" and "Fern Gully" and any other movies all you want, but my crude, expletive-laden response is fuck that bullshit. There is originality, and there is quality. What this movie lacks in the former it more than makes up for the latter. The characters are loveable, the acting is strong, the writing is good, the dramatic and emotional progression of the plot is sound, the special effects are the best there has been so far, and the art direction is to die for. This film was effective enough that even the cheesy scenes, like Jake and Neytiri becoming mates underneath one of the Soul Trees, the rousing war speech, and having all the birds and beasts of the forest join in the fight like some vengeful Disney nightmare, contained more awesome than cheese. The scene in which Jake's avatar almost got crushed underneath the bulldozers as he gulped down breakfast in his human body was particularly effective, and a great use of the avatar concept to create tension. The scene in which the Navi's home tree collapses is as awesome as it is infuriating and heartbreaking. The scene in which Jake tames the giant flying creature and rides it to the Tree of Souls made my hair stand up, it was so cool and powerful. I was very glad that the final showdown did not turn out to be an anticlimax; nothing ruins a story for me like a disappointingly brief or easy final struggle. The scene in which Neytiri finally meets Jake in his human body is downright beautiful.

So yeah. If you place such high stock in the value of originality that you can't appreciate the overwhelming redeeming factors of this film, I'm sorry that you're missing out on one of the greatest cinimatic experiences ever. Or, if you disagree with me about the quality of the film--if you found the characters unlikeable, the story weak and unsatisfying, the world and people uninteresting or unconvincing--then you are of course welcome to have your own opinion.

How's that for militant fanboyism?

Last edited by Moai; December 26th, 2009 at 10:19 PM.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maoi I agree with everything you just said! Great summation.

"Every artist was at first an amateur." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://drgnelf.deviantart.com

(sketchbook here on CA) http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175468

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One of the scenes that struck me the most was the part where Jake and Neytiri were talking about flying their Ikrans. That part was actually a part of a montage. It was very short but the characters felt so real.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really enjoyed the movie, for 2 and a half hours i was in a new world, rooting for characters, flying and looking around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great review Moai

Read an opinion of someone over at another forum who had the gall to say they thought the CG in the film was below average!!! Pah!!! Such hogwash. Clearly they know not a thing about 3D animation.

Anyways - I am a militant fangirl of Avatar too. Loving the script too, getting through that slowly.

My only teeny tiny itty bitty gripe with it all was that NONE of the animals had any FUR.
    I find it hard to believe that with such a broad spectrum of creatures on a planet, they all seem to have the same shiny, smooth reptilian skin. And surprised that no one else has mentioned it either. Especially considering the Na'vi had hair (of sorts) on their heads. Hmmm

Kitty's Drawings - My blog!

I have a Sketchbook now ---> SKETCHY!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kittymeow84 View Post
    Read an opinion of someone over at another forum who had the gall to say they thought the CG in the film was below average!!! Pah!!! Such hogwash.
    Whhhaaaaat? How can anybody possibly make that argument?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kittymeow84 View Post

My only teeny tiny itty bitty gripe with it all was that NONE of the animals had any FUR.
    I find it hard to believe that with such a broad spectrum of creatures on a planet, they all seem to have the same shiny, smooth reptilian skin. And surprised that no one else has mentioned it either. Especially considering the Na'vi had hair (of sorts) on their heads. Hmmm
    I dunno if I have mentioned it on the forum but yes every creature had the consistency of looking like they were made out of Hulk Hogan.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So let me get this straight.... Everyone complains about how the Na'vi look too human, and now people are complaining that there wasnt enough hair or fur in the movie?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Possibly the best demo reel I've ever seen. Hopefully somebody hooks these guys up with a kick-ass writer crew.

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookswords View Post
    So let me get this straight.... Everyone complains about how the Na'vi look too human, and now people are complaining that there wasnt enough hair or fur in the movie?
    Explain to me how that's a related argument? Human =/= Furry.

No one was complaining about the hair, so much that all the creatures look like skin. The lack of furry creatures is a different complaint than Na'vi look human ...so uhh what?

also NSFW http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/524391

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The goggles do nothing! It still sucks...

Seriously, nobody disliked the movie? A little 3d masturbation and everyone is happy with the most corny and sterile writing since Pamela? I saw the movie 1 hour ago, and still I'm afraid to puke because little glowing jellyfish might come out of my mouth, telling me how the planet-god suffers from global warming. I'm also pissed because I rooted for that evil general guy.

...although, when that tree fell I was actually ducking. Still, besides the visual experience... the overall movie experience is crap.

Last edited by Keeviin; January 15th, 2010 at 10:27 PM.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Keeviin For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.