(moved) how can i push my work to the next level?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

(moved) how can i push my work to the next level?

hey all!

Im posting a link to my online portfolio, and I was hoping I could get some feedback on what I need to do to improve my concept work and portfolio.

I know I have a lot to learn, but I am feeling like I am sort of without direction at the moment and im trying to formulate a plan for improvement. so any advice will be welcome.

here is my link: http://robbursey.darkfolio.com/

nothing is over painted its all straight from sketchbook and my head (I only say this becasue someone said that i obviously over paint 3D models).

lay it on me! i can take it! thanks everybody who looks and/or offers suggestions or a path, or things they see in my work that need to be adressed and improved!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well I hate to say it, but... go draw. Study the masters... not necesarily Leonardo and people like that, it might be graphic design masters for you. Your artistic heroes, and their heroes as well. There's not much else I can tell you... your style and direction will reveal itself the more you draw and learn about the world.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinsev View Post
    hey all!

Im posting a link to my online portfolio, and I was hoping I could get some feedback on what I need to do to improve my concept work and portfolio.

I know I have a lot to learn, but I am feeling like I am sort of without direction at the moment and im trying to formulate a plan for improvement. so any advice will be welcome.
    it depends on where you want to go as an artist. If you're more into comic art, which seems to me like you are, study the rules and the masters of that. The biggest mistake beginners make is make themselves go into the direction they aren't suitable for (or in other words force a style on themselves without developing their own).

here is my link: http://robbursey.darkfolio.com/

nothing is over painted its all straight from sketchbook and my head (I only say this becasue someone said that i obviously over paint 3D models).
    some of the stuff, at least 2 images are definitely 3d. I mean they aren't overpainted, but just created directly in 3d. Or you just did a very tedious work...

lay it on me! i can take it! thanks everybody who looks and/or offers suggestions or a path, or things they see in my work that need to be adressed and improved!
    Well, most of people here will suggest what Liffey did--study and practice. That's what we do. We're artists, right? You think we spend hours drawing masterpieces from day 1? No, it's more like 90 hours practice and study and 10 hours implementation and actual production.

Okay, study. What and where? Art school, art books, books about masters, reviews, etc. Also just collecting a gallery of awesome art on your HD can be considered studying. Make a great artwork into your wallpaper so you look at it every freaking 5 minutes of the day. That way it'll imprint into your subconscious as a measuring stick for your own artwork. Then pick another artwork after a while. Awesome photography can teach you a whole lot about composition, color and form. Though not all artwork should look like a photograph, they both follow the basic rules of visual art.

Practice. Practice more from life and in more detail. Practice drawing parts of human figure, like hands or eyes. Practice different lighting conditions -- one light source, two, ambient vs direct, dim vs bright, etc. Practice drawing nature in detail as well.

***ALSO***

Create a sketchbook on CA and post all of your work there. Then just keep drawing and adding stuff.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Téa_Passer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's not bad at all! don;t be discouraged, just keep practicing different techniques and see which one works best for you!

Detour Art Studio - Denver artist
    900 Auraria Parkway, Denver, CO
    (720) 341-7499‎
    info@detourartstudio.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DetourArtStudio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would suggest starting to do personal projects, not just work related ones, so you can experiment. I believe personal projects to be the best method of "bettering" ones view regarding his art.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GriNGo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey all! thanks for the kind words! ll take what you have said and apply it! all also be starting a sketchbook soon, and posting in the WIP forum so keep your eyes out if you want to see more.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.