Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: February Self-Portrait Thread

Thanks
    kanimator: these are addictive, aren't they? I find these as a good way to just experiment, explore, and have a ton fun since they arent for clients, school, or really to impress anybody. your latest isnt lopsided. good job man.

J.Mac: I like how consistant you are with these. you are just imporving at a steady rate. I think that is a good thing. I tomorrow nights should be another full color one I spend a great deal of time on. Thanks for the compliment.

Ni*: haha. thanks for the compliments. no eyeliner. just playing around...

jook: that latest 2 tone one is nifty and all, but the pink under the eyes is stupid looking. knock that off.

tonights is playing around with the seurat brush in Painter.

February Self-Portrait Thread
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Kanimator - Be careful with your symmetry. No, it isn't that your naturally lopsided, although it is a good copout Observe your features more closely, set up some kind of construction form for you to follow as well. A trick I do now to combat the lopsideness is to quickly establish where my eyes, nose, and mouth will be. Nothing extravagant, just dots and lines, but it's done miracles for my symmetry. I've been doing these SP's for over a year and if you go back to when I first started, my eyes and everything were all out of whack. It was very frustrating times.

J. Mac - Thanks, I'm always, struggling with these. I'm trying to keep it simple now to see how well I can do without drawing like a monkey on crack and redrawing areas 50 times over. Now onto yours. Your SP's seem so angular and hard. It's good that your working curved surfaces in straight lines, that's definitely where you start, but soften it up in spots. Basically experiment a bit, you'd be surprised how much you'd learn if you tackled your SP's from another angle.

Ni - I find for myself that drawing pissed off didn't get anything accomplished. I almost broke my tablet a few times by doing that. Keep establishing a solid form, maybe sharpen up the features a bit. Good going so far though, take it a step further though.

AbestosHazard - Thank you. Welcome to the world of Painter, it's a beautiful program. I dig your style.

Silvrain - Great work. Your last one was well done, try hatching everything in the same direction next time and see what kind of effect it gives you.

Jook - Good stuff, nice to see you experimenting a bit, try different angles, poses, and lighting as well. Watch your values as well. Nailing good values will let your SP's sing.

More comments later, it's 7am here and I've been up since 9am yesterday... blech.

Thanks
    BH - you got it i will try another angle and about that monkey on crack... i think i have that monkey :p

-Jesse
    "it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]

Thanks
    BH-- thanks for the feedback, i'm always scared of over working a drawing and i'd like to have a nice spontanious style, but i do agree that i'm being a chicken and not working into these enough.

BTW, that last one is superb, don't touch it. I wish i could do work like that, if i did, it would be on my wall.... some day :-p

Jmac-- changing the angle of view is essential i think, for me it prevents me from making the same mistakes habitually.

stuff to do but i should have something to post tonight...

N

Thanks

11 February 2004

i hope this is a good change in view.... i was having trouble finding the angle of the zygomatic arch on the out side of my face. In one of my classes my teacher offered to make a casting ofour faces... what doyou guys/gals htink of that? should i do it so i can draw it and practice... i am think about it...

Thanks every one for your feed back i really appreciate it

BH - that is kind of wierd looking... i like wierd so it looks good to me. good colours

Ni* - true true, thanks

jook - thanks man! i like how loose and free you are with your sp's. can't wait for your next coloured one

Kanimator - aren't we all atleast you don't have that damn monkey on your back poking at you your stuff looks good keep them coming!

-Jesse

Portfolio - Blog

Thanks
    see, this is what happens when i try to finish something... take a look at my big square head!!

i have real trouble with the farthest side of my face, i never know how to deal with the tones or colours of it compared to the planes that are facing the viewer...

need help here... this one is pish!

comments later, my eyes are too dry now..

N

Thanks
    Ni*: I thought that that one was turning really swell. I wish I had better advise for you. I dont think that there is much of a difference on the far side of the face. It is hard because it all depends on the lighting. Just draw what you see in the mirror I guess, that is what I do.. I hope someone gives you the correct advise because mine is lame.. sorry bud.

J.Mac: I like this one a lot. you handled the forshortning of the eyes very well. I like the side angle approach, you should do more of them...

BH: it is a start... Thanks for the comments man.

I was regretably in a hurry, so I couldnt fully finish this the way I wanted, but I still think it is one of my better ones...

Thanks

Playing with chalk in Painter...I need to play with angles more, too. >_<

klev :: Love the solids and contrast.
    Kanimator :: That earlier colored one is fabulous, especially the funny smirk on the mouth (reminds me of a PeterChung mouth). I like the tones on the skin.
    LadyLioness :: Nice job on the shape of the eyes, it'd be great to see you bring out more contrast and tone in your work -- bringing out the shape of your face and such.
    Skank :: Looking good and rough and tired! It screams
    jook :: It's great to see the experiments, man! The pointlism (?) looks like it was so much fun.
    Blackhawk :: Thanks for the kind words -- your stuff is completely inspirational, always looks so good. I'd love to see you finish some color work. Color is beyond me.
    J.Mac :: I like the angle, I think it looks good -- and I look forward to seeing more of your playing around with it. Probably one of my favorites of yours so far.
    Ni* :: These last two of yours are awesome -- the blue!! The large brushstrokes give a nice effect and the orange highlights on the other one bring a neat look into it.

Phew! I am caught up. XD

Seattle, WA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, etc
    Thanks
    Spent too much time tonight, but it was worth it, I think.

Thanks

Thanks

12 February 2004

killing this was inspired by your last sp ... i decided to brakeout of my comfort zone :p on this one. it was nerve raking at first but it was enjoyable, i really got into it. sorry about some of my features being off. i kind of lost sight of the big picture, i didn't step back so much.

conte on just 2 pieces of cut up construction paper i found downstairs in the lounge....

killing - awesome sp i like that one alot!!!!

Kanimator - nice colour job! looks soft, your face looks alittle skinny.

asbestoshazard - that one is captivating. your eyes are good. actually the whole thing is good

jook - that is good work keep it up!!!

Ni* - you seem to be down lately.... yes i agree with you about that side of the face it is a pain for me aswell. i think youwould really benifit if you did a traditional sp once in awhile. it is easier to observe and investigate what is going on. just keep at it!!!

great work everyone i like what is going on here!!! this is just a thought, but i think everyone here should do a sp in a way that they would not normally do it. you know thinking out side of the box i.e. androids and killings blood sp's. just a thought.......

-Jesse

Portfolio - Blog

Thanks
    Jmac- ..ach, i'm not really down as such, i'm just at a bit of a flat spot again. and i seem to keep making things quite flat, especially on the far side of my face...

thats a good idea though, about doing an unusual style of portrait, but most people on here try various styles so it may be up to one person to delegate, a bit like homework :-p

anyone want to suggest these?

N

Thanks
    Last edited by killing.people; February 13th, 2004 at 12:14 AM.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast