Art: February Self-Portrait Thread

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

February Self-Portrait Thread

Not sure if I can start this post or not, but hey, worth a try. Second month already into the new year. Great work so far, everyone.

Here's my contribution.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    feb 1st
    had to go to work - unfinished

feb 2nd
    meat face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice way to start the month...

I like how simple and energetic that is Silvrain.

Killing: That top one was looking like it was going to be badass.. I like the background.

cool..

trying out more color combos...

good ole' black and white.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent work, people.

This is my first submission to the self-portrait threads. I insisted on stopping once I spent a full hour on it, so I did. I started off with the left eye, and expanded the portrait around that. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep a consistent pose, so I had to do a bit of guesswork once I had the direction of the drawing set down.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i definitely need to do more of these...

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and i'm back in business! stupid free web hosting...

here's a sunburned fat version of me to start february :-/

as you can see i'm still a bit poo at this, but practice is fun so i plod onward...

silvrain, i like the comic book style

killing.people- those are great, you use photoshop?

jook- good structure in those ones again, not sure about the green though. but you are improving alot.

jack in box- interresting technique, how did you get that? just a high texture brush?

sone one- thats very nice, really confident looking and i like your use of layering to suggest the hair texture.

cheers

N

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, I was using entirely the "dissolve" effect for airbrush in Photoshop 6.0.

What the hell, I figured.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All right i am ready to kick ass this month!!! well here is an ok start for me.... oh and i would appreciate any crits or comments!

Ni* - not shabby, the placement of the features are good! keep it up

sone_one - i like the way your sp looks it has a interesting style.

JaCkinbOx - not bad. at first i thought you just did a bad scan of your sp....:p

jook - much better looking sp's! you are improving it is great to see you progress. just keep it up!

killing.people - oohh i like the first one alot, to bad you didn't finish it.

Silvrain - your style has a nice flow to it

great work everyone this is just the begining.... lets kick the crap out of last month :rambo: :electric:

-Jesse

p.s. apparently some people can't see the images i post from fortunecity so i will add a link. hopefully that helps....

p.p.s if it still is being dumb try refresh a couple of times, and if that still doesn't i dunno all i can say is

p.p.p.s -i just moved my stuff to a different host it should work just fine now.... i hope

Last edited by J.Mac; February 5th, 2004 at 09:07 AM.
    "it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    J.Mac - The eyes appear a little far apart, and the neck looks to be a tad too broad.

Your highlighting looks good.

My only other significant suggestion that hits me would be to loosen up on your linework a little. Strong, but a little too controlled, if you take my meaning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JaCkinbOx - thanks for the comments, you know what i seem to always make that space too big in alot of my sp's. for some reason i never catch it but than again i never really noticed it before.... oh and the reason my lines seem to be that way is b/c i am very analytical when it comes to finding form, but then again i should learn to loosen up

-Jesse

Portfolio - Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had issues with the colors.. Oh well, at least it's a move out of black and white (or that blue scheme) no matter how wierd it turned out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Haven't been around for a while...something from open canvas with a mirror. X_X

Silvrain :: Both beautiful -- but i think I like the 2nd more than the first. Maybe it's my love of color The eyes draw me in.
    killing.people :: The first one blows me away -- the bg, everything. I'm amazed that it has detail without being -really- detailed.
    jook:: Nice play with colors on the first one.
    JaCkinbOx :: Great texture, the eyes just pop out.
    sone_one :: Love the texture and depth in the face; I'm jealous of the depth -- I feel like I rammed my face into a wall.
    Ni* :: Again with the color! I like the little hints of blue/green that hide in there.
    J.Mac :: Your sp reminds me of geometry...or that art exercise where they make you pay attention to geometric surfaces on organic items...looks good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jmac- i can finally see your image!! nice image, it looks like you started on (your) right eye because that is the most detailed and confident area. other people have mentioned the slight proportion issues, but i think its the viewer's right earphone, it is sitting too high so makes your ear look a bit high. nice to finally get to see your work though ;-)

silvrain- you look drunk or ill :-p maybe drop a bit more of those warm colours into the cheeks to improve your well being..

asbestos- ooo.. a pouty one, nice expression, and you've really got the hang of smooth shading. to give it a bit more depth you could really darken all the shadows, try increasing the contrast in photoshop or painter.
    and i am a glutton for punishment, i'll keep at this colour thing untill it works, or at least looks ok

cheers

N

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    20 minutes... it only took 20 minutes for me to warp my face.... :bash: this became to frustrating for me. some where along the line i start to miss information or distort what i see. the worst part is i don't realize i am doing it at the time becuase i get so into the drawing..... i am not sure what to do about this x:

[URL=http://img18.photobucket.com/albums/v53/12jesse/sp71.jpg[/URL]

Ni* - thanks and you right so today i worked on the other side more.....

asbestoshazard - you are right about the geometric look i do that sometimes by accident b/c i get so into finding the planes. nice sp i like the look of it. th only thing i notice i sthat your eyes seem to be a bit to far apart.

Silvrain - i like that alot it looks very playful. the colours are good, your nose looks like a ball or somehting....or maybe you are secretly a clown :eek:

-Jesse

Last edited by J.Mac; February 5th, 2004 at 08:58 AM.

Portfolio - Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i stubbed my freaking toe on the cinder blocks that support my bed .. pinkie toe got fucked up and bled like a little bitch all teh way home!

sooo ...
    pig's blood.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL, try try again I say. Another failed color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ballpoint doodle from work...just a -really- quick doodle from work. *emphasizes*

J.Mac :: For sure! Makes me want to try and play with your style.
    killing.people :: Interesting medium, did it darken? I'd love to see it again after a little time has passed.
    Blackhawk :: Stunning, as per usual -- I wouldn't say failed at all! I love the smeary quality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, three for three. And today was a shitty day too. Only took me about 40 minutes of sketching and mucking around with browns.

blackhawk: man, how you get those colors is beyond me. When you do them, they look natural and realistic.

killing.people: god, that's creepy. But it's a great effect, really makes the picture.

j.mac: I can see improvement in your s/ps. Maybe you could save a copy halfway through the completion progress, and compare it to a finished piece, see the point where you drift. You put in a lot of hard angles with that pencil, maybe try some curves.

azzy: you know I love it. All your work :9

Ni*: Man, that's great. The coloring is awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Silvrain: I really like your style. All three of them are cool, but that second one is ultra cool. The red nose just kicked me in the face with its coolness...

asbestoshazard : That first one is really pretty, good job. I like that sketch on the second one, it is kinda funny. I wish I had a job where I could doodle...

Blackhawk: I'd bet it would have turned out well if you went with the flow and just kinda finished it, I thought it was turning out nice... oh well.

killing.people: sorry to hear about your toe.. Way to take one for the team, or something...

J.Mac: I like how you measure everything out and seem pretty precise with things.. It would be cool to see some more finished pieces but I am glad to see you doing them period.. something is better than nothing...

Ni*: I like the colors on that one, orange is actually my fav. Anyways, mabey you should try out a brush with a harder edge.... just a suggestion.

sone_one: I like that one. It is like half stylized, half realistic... I think its the eyes...

THis time I just wanted to have fun with it, not worrying about all the technical stuff like anatomy measurements, value, and perspective.. sometimes you just gotta have fun...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this was just me playing around, i got pissed off at painter which keeps crashing with no warning at all... anyone else using painter classic?

not alot to say about this one... not alot to it either

killing.people- wait a few days untill that scabs over and then pick it off, i'm betting there will be a nice new drawing of skin underneath ;-)

BH- the only bad thing about that one is the remaining blocks of white, although it does creat a kind of surreal feeling.

Asbestos- that sketch is great! nice somposition too, i love confident pen work.

Silvrain- thanks for the compliment, nice SP too, you really know the shape of your face and that lets you do nice confident shading. the colour one was better i think, because it was so different. good work.

Jook- thanks for the advice about the hard brush, i conciously try to keep to hard edged brushes but a lack of confidence in my drawing tends to push me towards the forgiving tools like the chalk and charcoal.Also, i cant seem to get rid of the textures on painter classic, very annoying.
    oh and i fully agree that this is all about enjoying the process. have fun :-)

cheers

N

Last edited by Ni*; February 4th, 2004 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

4 February 2004

Felt being alittle more dynamic with this sp, and intern i made myself abreaviate the information on my face which help me out some... any who you know i welcome anythoughts there might be about this.

Ni* - sorry to hear painter crashing onyou like that. the program is known for that though so eh. that looks cool almost like you had stencil and used some spray paint.

jook - thanks i was thinking about doing alonger sp. you know like 3 - 6 hour one on toned paper. i figured if i spend that much time on it i am bound to figure soemhtingnew out you sp's are so fun you definatelty have the right mind set for these.

silvrain - thank you too. i feel that would be a good idea for me to do. variety is the spice of life . i like the colours you used it really gives a mood and ambients to it.

asbestoshazard - yeah i like playing with BPP too. i feel more free and less critical of what i am doing. keep them coming!

killing.people - haha that is great!! not the stubbed toae part :p but the blolod usage. reminds me of when Android did somehting like that....... speaking of Andriod where is he.......:confused:

BH - i like you colour sp's the have there own appeal that is nice just keep pumping them out!

great work everybody this a great way start the month!!!!

-Jesse

p.s. - now that i look at it again i made my body alittle bigger (wider) than it is argh! and i felt pretty good about this one too.

Last edited by J.Mac; February 5th, 2004 at 09:00 AM.

Portfolio - Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys cool stufff

been missing you

good to see some familiar faces!
    BH- colour is tricky! you are handling it nicely though, keep going!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 133 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    welcome to the blood portrait cult Killing

whos next?

:evilbat:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dont think there are enough swear words in existance to allow me to curse painter classic enough... it just keeps switching off, no warning, no system crash or hanging, it just goes away. Quite often taking alot of work with it, and it often dies as i'm about to click 'save as'.

*deep breaths*

does anyone else have this problem with painter classic?

I'll do another SP tomorrow, i think in photoshop this time..

N

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ni* i have had that problem with painter before and sometimes. i am not sure how to fix the issue though. i just know that it is not as stable as photoshop.... sorry i couldn't anymore help, but i know your pain.

welcome to the blood portrait cult Killing
    lol, he comes running when the scent of blood is in the air....

-Jesse

Portfolio - Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Did this in OpenCanvas between rounds of frag-style fun with some of my best friends. Proportionately off...but I like it or maybe it's just the girly pink talking.

Silvrain :: Love the neutrals And you do the solid shading so well. I love your art, too.
    jook :: Angle, colors and crazy hair -- all wonderful but I think my favorite part about that one is the mouth: the expression, the sculpt!
    J.Mac :: Strange as it seems, i hear a lot of people claim the opposite of BPP...I know I used to have such a latch on my eraser -- now I find pencil almost more difficult to work with.
    endregan :: I like the way your neck looks in that pic, particularly the left side -- it'd be great to see more contrast (I'm one to talk >_<) Do you use several pencils or just one?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Couldn't let you get one up on me azzy :3 You're my inspiration here.

Didn't feel like anything too serious, so I did an 18-minute caricature. In red. And damn, I don't like red. If it wasn't 3:18 in the morning, I'd do comments. But... yeah. Half asleep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    feb 4

-killing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so i have a new host for my images yay! hopefully that won't be an issue any more. Ok so today wheni got up i really wanted to a sp even though i was grogy and half asleep for the first attempt. then alittle later i started another one which failed also. the i was think about where i was going wrong with my sps. so i was being very critical and observant on the third sp. and not to much into it i realize what starts to mak ethe picture look off... it isn't the fact that i make the eyes to far apart it is the fact that i make the eys a little less then a quarter smaller than they should be.... ah haaaa!

killing - ooohhhh i like that one it is nice you have nice forms in that sp

Silvrain - lol that is a funny caricature

asbestoshazard - yes i agree sometimes i am the same way. nice sp it has a mood to it, good work.

endregan - nice to see you around here!! :wave: so what have you been up to lately... besides not being here posting your sp's. anywho that is your best yet "imo" ok crit time for you b/c it hink you are ready to move to the next level. ok so you seem to have a pretty good handle on shapes and alittle bit on form, but i feel though that you are not really understanding what you see (i don't really either so this is just somehting i was told :p) keep going with finding the shapes but ithink you should start to look at form and try to investigate why it looks they way it does and how they light falls on your face.... does that make sense or did i just waiste alot of pixels

-Jesse

Portfolio - Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.