A neoclassisistic Throne Room.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: A neoclassisistic Throne Room.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A neoclassisistic Throne Room.

Hi this is a piece I've been doing for school.
    Any comments?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This doesn't seem to be neoclassical at all but it's still pretty interesting. Neo classical architecture follows classical architecture, just during the 18th century (don't quote me on the era). A lot of American government buildings are built this way as are a lot of public buildings that are used by the government. It's a fairly pleasing style to just about everyone so it's used pretty extensively. I see some Greek influence in the post and lintel elements and the columns and ionic style capitals but that's it.
    Things I'm concerned about in this image is the position of the viewer (which at this point doesn't appear to have any grounding -> the viewer is standing over top of a hole.) and why the floor is built the way it is. Either of these things aren't necessarily bad but raise some questions none the less. I'm probably not the greatest person to ask about these things but hopefully someone can add something a bit more constructive to this.
    Also I noticed that the column in the far corner is not set correctly in space. It's not following the angles you set up in the path. Moving it closer to the path'll fix that right up.
    Best of luck!

Edit-> Scratch that, there is neoclassical reference here it's just not very obvious I think. Adding some more elements that reference neoclassicism will help solve that. Pilasters would fit pretty well in here I think, but do some research on neoclassical interior spaces.

Last edited by lemming-clone-; December 17th, 2009 at 04:22 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lemming-clone- For This Useful Post:

SAGIR is offline This user is brought to you by: My mom and dad Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wish you've given us more information about what you were aiming for.

Being an architect I do spot some neo-classicism in the composition of this clean cubical space and those simple windows with those columns and the symmetrical positioning of the objects in this space - but that's about it. Whether you were aiming for a nice concept art or an interesting interior design - in both cases you need MUCH more details, stuff to look at. Those overwhelming and hard to paint details of architecture are the first noticeable symbol of classical architecture and thus, of the neo-classical.
    For example those columns would definitely require a more stylized bases and capitals (ionic, doric...) not to mention some hand railings along those passages.

However, if it's just a perspective practice, the piece is good as it is.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd recommend that you use vanishing points next time, as it looks like you tries to just eyeball it, and the perspective is all over the place, and is only convincing for the first few seconds of viewing, then it all falls apart.

"...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

My site: www.truepinkas.com

Slowly populating my It's Finally Finished thread!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.