Sketchbook: Retep sketchbook-------> 1/11/10 - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Retep sketchbook-------> 1/11/10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jedininjaman- thanks!

codex- thanks man, are you still going to that art festival??

still older work.
    here is the finished Don Quixote, i actually like the sketch more...

random...

-Verbal Communications Inevitable Route to the Possession and Manipulation of the Human Body-
    within the red marks it says "Ok Legs, Start Walkin"

Romulus and Remus
    this is one in a series i would like to complete.

sorry about the shitty image quality on some of these.
    i have been doing more digital video work for class lately, so i don't have as much to show as i would like.
    but, i'll try to get more up soon.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude!

Hey man, have you moved out of Augusta yet? I need to call yo ass some time soon, see what's happenin'

You know your shit always hits the spot, I really enjoy the "random" thing in the post above.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

step 1

Kenneth- thanks! yeah, i am living in Athens now, going to UGA. you have to come down and hang out sometime! i'll give you a call.

Ok, schools out for the summer! its time to get busy on all those ideas i had throughout the year!!

i finally have my very own laptop!! so, no more excuses about computer access, scanners, internet, and etc...

i'm still updating from my long absence.
    here's a series of paintings i was making for a narrative(i don't like it enough to finish it)...

radiohead...

haircut...

proposal...

i am nearly complete in updating all of my work worth posting, by next post i should have everything updated *whew*

here is something new. i can finally use my wacom tablet that i bought awhile back now that i have photoshop and a computer. so here is the first image i messed around with...

original

original+digital

detail

i might go back in and add some more highlights, don't know.
    i feel like i have painted this before, i need to break out of my bubble and do something out of my comfort zone.

i completed a video for my art and tech class, which i should have uploaded on Vimeo for public viewing soon. i need to work on the sound.

retep

Last edited by RETEP; May 19th, 2009 at 07:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is a style i have been pursuing lately, they're helping me to understand color interaction. these were done over a few months, and are in chronological order. i wanted to show them in order to show my development.
    -the tall ones are a little over two feet, and the small ones are about a foot.

the compositions are repetitious, but i am trying to vary them more now.

a quick environment study last night, about 1 hour...

its really hard for me to use color on the computer, i'm going to have to get used to it.

Peter.

Last edited by RETEP; May 13th, 2009 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, one of the things I've always loved about your junk is how subtle you work. I'm so addicted to smashing out lines and colors, it's nice to see your stuff work so softly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Har-thanks! keep on smashing those lines!

i almost forgot to post this paintings, i painted it for a local cafe competition. I won the competition! so now it has a permanent spot in the cafe (and i received a nice cash bonus ).
    its acrylic on hard board.
    its quite a large painting (about 4ft, i think), so i wanted to show some detail picks. the painting was a huge learning experience, i used paint in ways i had never done before. it took about a month to paint, because i would only paint in natural light (in order to get the colors right). i did work on the patterns indoors though *whew* those took a minute to paint. there are many layers of paint, upwards to five on certain spots. all of the patterned areas have an under-layer of gold paint, which shimmers through the edges (unfortunately you can't capture this in the photos ).

another quick environment study, about 25 min.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RETEP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nearly forgot that? FUCK!

Man that's one of the coolest paintings I've ever seen you do. Seriously. All my talk about sitting down and doing ornate borders and you come here and drop this...

Bad ass.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    harhar- thanks!

heres a color study, its a three page spread in my pocket size sketchbook. its funny how irrelevant size is, when it comes to uploading images on the internet. the last painting i posted is about 4ft and this one isn't even a ft. anyway, here it is...

holy shit!
    drawing with a wacom tablet is like learning to draw all over again. it was damn hard to get the rendering right on this figure study. i originally tried to draw it in color, but had too hard of a time getting the colors right.

arctic juggernaut of death-
    i have no idea where this is going, but i'm gonna try to finish it up tomorrow for this weeks COW.

Last edited by RETEP; May 16th, 2009 at 10:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my finished COW...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shit! Gotta finish mine. I agree about how drawing with the tablet is so different. I've had mine forever and still feel really uncomfortable with it. I'm so unsure when drawing with it. The sketch of the girl is still pretty sweet.

At first I was going to recommend some darker darks, but looking at it, I think the coloring and the atmospheric deal yo is pretty sweet. How about some crisper shapes up close? The back legs really work, it feels like the legs are far as hell away, but the front doesn't quite portray the same amount of size. The design and the are sweet as shit though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    retep>>> Okay, lots of stuff in here since i saw ya last. That was even before the mad decent Diplo show. glad to see you've been busy and are computer enabled to post the sketchbook stuff. Really nice collection of approaches... lots of subtlety in so many of them! i really like the pieces where you have some hard edged rendered things in combination with figures or faces. scissors, buildings, etc. the flowing sea of arms is pretty money too.

i really like where you are taking these studies. seems like you have a very painterly approach, no matter what medium you are using. unless that medium is maybe pen and ink or something. Seems like you are using acrylics and colored pencil a bit here... just wondering... have you tried guoache? that might work better for some of the sketchbook stuf–yield some more consistent coverage. even though it'd be a bit of an expense to set up a nice palette of it, seriously its a great medium.

anyway keep up the great work!

m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hugs-thanks for the crit!

guggs-thanks! you nailed it, i've mainly been using acrylic, colored pencils, and colored ink. exploring how to layer these mediums in different ways, to get interesting color effects. yeah, guoache is great, i used it almost exclusively for a long time. i really didn't start using acrylic until about a year and a half ago, now i understand why its so popular. Diplo was good, but i saw Dan Deacon lately and that was a great show.

here are some photo-manip. stuff i did while trying to figure out the style for a short anim./film. its made completely from still photos. like i mentioned before, i still have to fix the sound before i upload it...

experimenting...

heres a landscape study for today, painted at this size. the values are off, and i definitely need to start implementing some textured brushes. digital stuff is still really troublesome, i feel i could draw these with a pencil twice as fast and it would look better. but, i've gotta learn to use this thing!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this weeks COW...
    selected thumbnails

i went with the bottom right thumbnail at first, but i didn't like the composition. blah

i feel a little better with this one. having problems with the colors, and i need crits to improve this thing!!

btw it rips the flesh off its prey with its psychic abilities, the flesh is wrapped around its tentacles(breaks food down with enzymes on skin).

quick head study from a few nights ago. i'm having particular trouble scanning images with buckled paper from my large sketchbook, argh! its messing up the values.
    this kinda sucks but here it is anyway...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This weeks cow is looking pretty cool. It took me a minute to figure out what was what though, but I think the clarifications will just come from polishing the image.

Making custom brushes is pretty easy. Make whatever shape/texture/lines or whatever you want, and crop it down to just what you want. Click the "edit" drop bar, and select "define brush". It'll open up a menu if you want to name it. Make sure when you do that, to go back and define the brush settings, such as angle distort and size and hardness, and then save that brush by clicking the new brush icon in the brushes tab.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    huge-thanks! i'll practice making brushes on this COW, i need to make one for the ground and the sides of the cave.

Cow update...
    hope this is more clear.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

cool man

it looks like ur work is getting more conceptual, and symbolic
    maybe u should take some graphic design classes??
    anyway, i finished my internship at adult swim, i made a poster for comic con that will be signed by tim an eric, i also made a iphone skin for robot chicken, and a bilboard for the mighty boosh.... it was awesome, ill post that stuff when im done with finals... wow, hardest quarter of my life, im graduating next week! miss you man, ill be gone for portugal for the month of june, im trying to make a popup sketchbook while im their, ill post stuff when i come back

cheers,
    craiggy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    craig- i can't wait to see your stuff!! congrats on graduating, must be exciting! good luck with your popup sketchbook, I've had a children's popup book on my mind for ages(can't decide on a story grrr). yeah, i really want to take a graphic design class, i just don't think i will be able to fit it into my schedule.

heres a portrait study, done traditionally with some digital touch ups.

i decided i hated my COW, so i might finish this one...

PR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    final COW#144
    Cthonic Psychic Suckerer
    Rielecks live in caves, coaxing victims in with their psychic abilities and bioluminescence. Once in range the Rieleck opens its massive mouth, using telekinesis to rip the flesh off its victims and suck it down. Rielecks are loners and are rarely seen outside of their caves, though its known to happen.

I'm disappointed in the colors, they turned out muddy. working with my tablet is still really difficult, but these COWs are helping me to learn.

Last edited by RETEP; May 25th, 2009 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    digital figure study.
    major major challenge!! color sucks, likeness horrible, proportions off . the upside is i learned more about blending .
    -and some fun with texture...

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by RETEP; May 28th, 2009 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're picking this shit up quick dude. Which isn't surprising, but I'm excited to see what you'll be doing in a few months.

Don't forget all the tools you can use in Photoshop/Painter. Selection tools, resizing certain elements, change hue, change saturation. Definitely recommend getting the Android fine arts download. The magic he does, and still leaves it possible to follow, is amazing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAR- thanks! i hope so, cause this digital stuff is hard. i just don't get it yet. i have been checking out Idiotapathys blog here , it has been an eye opener! the way he manipulates the images is wild (taking whole advantage of the digital aspect of the image making). i have also been soaking in as much of bumskees work as i can, he has a great tut in the photoshop section (his blending POWERS are amazing!).

art time...
    heres a still life following bumskees tut. i need to be more conscious of my edges.

color is not my friend , it never does what i want it to. every study is a lessoned learned i guess.

this is how i feel when i read + rodeo

PR

Last edited by RETEP; June 1st, 2009 at 12:34 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look at our same-time-posting-looking-head-asses posting at the same time.

Some fun imagery as always. You're stuff is always soooo clean and fresh.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 918 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dude! your last digital painting is beautiful! Your really progressing fast.
    Keep it up -Omerta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    harryhendersonhar- haha, we've gotta keep it up. hope your show went well! looking forward to hearing about it.

OmertA- THANKS!

another portrait/color study. i discovered Goldens acrylic medium GAC, and this my first go at it. i love how mediums can completely change the attributes of a paint (so refreshing!).
    WIP

+digital touch-up

master study of Emily Sargent by the late great john Singer Sargent. i am trying out new brushes, textures, etc. i would love some crits! (i can handle it )

and another digital figure study. these have been no quick studies, i am really putting in some time trying to get these right. blending still bewilders me
    (%$*! photobucket, argh)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update on the sargent study...

PR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think i understand blending a bit better now. correct me if I'm wrong, large brush+low opacity+soft edges=blending. i know there is probably tons of ways to do it, but this seems to be an easy way.

quick figure study for the night...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the nice words on my sketchbook. It's funny that you say you are leaning towards fine art because lately I'm very much looking forward to doing some concepty stuff--perspective, hard surfaces, anatomy etc.

Like many the phrase "finding a style" is very problematic. Even before that, because you do seem to have a penchant for drawing, I would say take your drawing to a higher level. Right now it's 'accomplished' but not excellent and excellence is what you want. Hold yourself to a high standard and resist compromise and excellent drawing is an inevitable thing. And in the end good drawing will never fail to pay dividends. It'll make you a better painter too. Like humans and worms drawing and painting share 99% of the same DNA.

As for the style or fine art issue. Looking at and lifting from existing art is fine. I mean rainbows (and triangles, and space nebulae clouds, and purple, and folky line drawing, etc) are everywhere f'sure and whats the harm in lifting off that? But all that stuff came from some other place--most likely from someone's genuine interest from something in life. So my advice is Disney's advice is pretty standard advice, lift from what intrigues/inspires you in your daily experience.

Last edited by steve kim; June 15th, 2009 at 05:17 AM.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve kim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    peter>>> two things... 1.) even though i realize that you are probably keeping the figurative palette really limited in these digitals, it might be nice to try to get more natural with the color choice... pale blues, reds, pinks, oranges, siennas, all that. Just something to consider. 2.) okay, on the swirling design elements around the faces... you should try to make the edges as clean as possible. if there's a straight line? paint it with a ruler. craftsmanship! It'll really make these really cool little designs POP! The best case scenario is when someone sees one they think... hey wait... did he do these in illustrator? oh.. damn. by hand!

again, i'm really enjoying the updates... gonna subscribe so that i can stay current on what's up in here. there are some great shows that come through athens... last group i saw there was stereolab...heh soooo incredibly fun! Dan Deacon shows are a blast though!

anyways, take care. if i end up heading to athens sometime i'll letcha know! definitely love visiting that town!

m

31. The Following User Says Thank You to guggemmaneuver For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry I've been MIA for a minute dude...Hectic

Some sweet blending coming along, though I'm more excited about stuff you're going to do when you break away from blending and coloring in the traditional manner and work more like what you did with the study above.

Any details on your design color swirls/figurative work? What's the direction behind them?

33. The Following User Says Thank You to HugeHarHar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the support!!

Steve-Your words were encouraging and insightful!
    Right now it's 'accomplished' but not excellent and excellence is what you want.
    -Absolutely!! I don't want to accept anything else. About a two year ago i began to stray away from realistic drawings, feeling i needed to develop my concepts more. Unfortunately i neglected my technical abilities, and don't feel i have grown very much. I am looking forward to seeing some concept work from you, can't imagine what you'll come up with!

Google-Thanks, always a helpful crit! You're right, i have been limiting my palette on my figurative studies so i can concentrate on value and blending ( and the fact that its crazy hard for me to pick colors in photoshop ). But i took your comment as a challenge, and tried to implement more color in this last study. As you can see there are still a lot of problems, but it was really helpful just to go for it.
    I'll try cleaning up the colors on my next painting with the patterns to see how it turns out. The patterns on some of the ones i have posted are actually very loose and painterly, but i posted the images so small you can't see it. I am working on getting better image quality of some of my work. I feel like i need to go absolutely messy and painterly or completely clean (more experimenting i guess, haha). Thanks again!

Huge- Thanks man. This digital work is starting to get me excited about all the possibilities! But i feel like i need a solid base to work from, so you'll probably see some more studies before i start really experimenting. I also feel like my photoshop knowledge is slim to none, and i need to learn the ropes.
    I feel like the patterned figurative work is culmination of many different sources, and i don't even know if its that coherent haha. partly these are color experiments, and my attempt to understand color interaction. i had certain color concepts that i put to the test, often to unexpected results. trying out new techniques, and how mediums reacted fueled a lot as well. i tend to get obsessed with certain ideas for periods of time. these started after i had been thinking about a collective conciseness for awhile, which led to an idea of a collective flesh. flesh not being our own, but apart of a collective organism. malleability and interchangeable aspects of flesh. blah blah blah (i could go on and on). i don't know if any of this comes across in what i have produced. I do know once your pen hits the paper, all thoughts and ideas are out the window, your body does what it wants to do in the end.

Landscape sketches (enjoying the weather )

I used gauche for this one, and whoa! i forgot how easy it is to manipulate haha. there are some value problems, and i'm not to excited about the color. I have been rushing my faces lately, and it shows...
    -note- this image is actually slightly larger than the actual painting-

Here's my latest digital figure study. I really tried to push the colors, which i don't think i was very successful. the greens look off and skin tones funny. I'm not even going to mention the values and proportion (glad your not going to see the reference ).

Last edited by RETEP; June 22nd, 2009 at 12:15 AM.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3