Pure Explodium!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pure Explodium!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pure Explodium!

Coming to your screen made from Purest Explodium!

Clockwork Bunny
    Mythril Golem
    Parcel Sisters
    Kir Nuyts

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey peeps

All ready here?

_.·´¯`·-> Choose Life <-·´¯`·._
    Check me out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I ll start design a logo ok!

Name:  PureExplodium.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  16.1 KB

I made this real fast...looks like dog**** It s only few fancy Photoshop effects lol... but i ll make new one ok.

Last edited by Kir Nuyts; December 30th, 2009 at 02:51 PM.
    Check me out

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kir Nuyts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay people, get on skype grrr (not right this second, i just mean in general >_>)

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society"

my site
    chenthooran.com

deviantart
    mythrilgolem

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    with much faffing and fiddling the mic, headphones are set up and skype installed.

A very appropriate topic - been dabbling with Tarot recently.
    I like our cards and can't wait to get started I've had a look at the meanings and if we were to take that as a team reading -its pretty good, just need to be wary of the feeling over whelmed ( 9 swords) or having too much choice and being self indulgent ( 7 cups)

Last edited by Clockwork Bunny; December 27th, 2009 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so what we need to sort out.. I've been talking with MG and I came up with a to do list which I need your input on.

1. Over all style - Scott M Fischer has been put forward as a style we think would be pretty cool and push us on the challenge. Are we happy with this?

2 - Who's doing which card - We have:

The Emperor
    The Wheel of Fortune
    The Sun
    3 of Wands
    9 of Swords
    7 of Cups
    Knight of Cups
    Queen of Pentacles

I'd like to claim The Sun & the Knight of Cups if no-one objects.

3 - Boarders and Fonts - We should have one boarder and fonts style to tie all cards together, this we need to discuss.

I know we still have New Year to come but anything before the challenge begins to help us co-ordinate better can be done before then so we can use the challenge time purely on the cards themselves.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok
    1: scott m fischer's graphic bg +char is only a start as far as style is concerned imo, we have much to discuss. but 3/4 have said they liked it so i think we're good on that bit

2: not particularly bothered with what i get but my mild preference is for emperor and 9 of swords

and 3: borders and fonts might not even be needed, since daestwen mentioned possibly printing a set i think there will be one done separately outside of the comp entries.

also we need to think of something in the way of story/flavour.

my site
    chenthooran.com

deviantart
    mythrilgolem

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    had a thought for the story line for flavour, what about changeling as a theme?

Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere is based on the changeing's world within worlds.
    There was also a White Wolf RP game Changeling the dreaming
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeling_The_Dreaming
    twisted fantasy with dark and sinister elements.

from this I would use a Sidhe - the nobility, Lords and Ladies, elves, the Shining Host. The dream of all that is noble and honourable in leaders, but also the arrogance of many leaders for the sun
    and a Satyr - lovers and revelers, horned god, Pan. Formed from the deep passions and lusts of mortals for the knight

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Clockwork Bunny; January 1st, 2010 at 05:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I really need to get with the picture! Apologies to you guys for being a little more than slow with communications. I promise this won't be a problem from now on (hopefully).

As far a styles and theme, we should really stay away from any overworked ideas, which means our overall theme should not be something that someone sees and thinks, 'Oh, that's fantasy/ sci-fi/ etc.' This, I believe, especially includes steampunk, which has been used more in the past few years than Lindsay Lohan's toilet and gag reflex. ;-) But seriously, what's going to make these characters interesting is that we've never encountered anything like them at all. That doesn't mean they have to look outrageous and alien, because 'alien' itself is another common topic that should be avoided.
    I think what we can do is make a combination of themes, overall "emotions," legends, etc. to make something familiar yet strange. Clockwork Bunny brought up some work by Neil Gaiman and his book, Neverwhere, which I think is a great source to draw from for a mix of realism and mysticism. Gaiman's other stuff works just as well, especially the Sandman series which gives us a cast of 'D' characters that we can identify with and never really understand at the same time. Personally, however, most of Gaiman's work is with known characters and myths, which can get a little boring. In short, I think this project could be really interesting using characters that
    1) we can't identify with a genre (fantasy, sci fi, steampunk, etc.,
    2) clash themes together (ie, historically we know how to perceive an emperor or what swords were used for, but what do they mean out of context in a contemporary setting: Emperor = corporate executive, 9 of swords = 9 different weapons a housewife might use to kill her husband)

A good idea might be to add some sort of sinister twist. Like if we combine two INCREDIBLY different themes. For example, if we use Fischer's overall creepiness and generally 'dirty' composition with pleasant pin-up/ 50's advertisement themes.

Pure Explodium!

Pure Explodium!

Pure Explodium!

Pure Explodium!

Pure Explodium!

Pure Explodium!

Anyway, there are still plenty of things to discuss but at least we can start putting stuff down on a canvas. It makes no real difference to me which cards I do -- I think they're all very interesting and it's the style we do them in that's going to be the most fun. :-)

Below are a few references I gathered together. I hope I'm allowed to post them as long as I state they aren't my own work...? Mostly Mucha, Amano, and Klimt..

Pure Explodium!

Pure Explodium!

Pure Explodium!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Parcel-Sisters For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very interesting posts and i agree with a lot of it, but what say you people to a daily meeting on skype (or any other im you all want to use)? not sure if you got the message since i've been away a few days. real time conversation would save time.

my site
    chenthooran.com

deviantart
    mythrilgolem

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    agree - caught up with MG be good if we can all get together at some stage.

I'm usually on between 7- 11pm GMT - not necessarily all that time

anyway been sketching more ideas and thumbnails

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so just read the backlog from skype. There were some good ideas passed around. I think we definitely should find some sort of paintchat so we can all put our ideas down in both words and images at once, but we'll definitely need a specified time to gather. School and work starts for me tomorrow, so pretty much every day I don't get out of work/ school until 6-ish over here, which makes an ungodly hour in the morning for everyone else.. :-( I'll sneak on when I can during work in the morning for me, but I think most of our time together is going to have to be on weekends. If 7-10 works for you guys, that's about midday I think for me, so that'll work pretty much every weekend.

Also, I really liked the zombie-ish theme, but if another team is already doing that, I think the 'dead' theme is different enough to use. Sounds good! Hopefully I'll catch you guys on skype soon! :-D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, if there's no objections, I'll be taking the 7 of Cups and Wheel of Fortune.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, meant to post this, too -- the idea of doing dead characters made me think of the morbid portraits at the Disneyland Haunted Mansion where the figures are calmly facing impending death. Maybe the surroundings of the character could "tell a story" of how they died or how they are about to die.
    Check it out:

Pure Explodium!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the ideas flowing here .. I love the 'deathish' theme and the somewhat twisted sick feel, by use of colors and mood/ facial expression. Reminds me abit of Alice in Wonderland/ Dave McKean/ Danny Devito as the Pinguinman in Batman. But then Like Colette says, more original ^^ haha

As for the cards: Is the Queen allready taken? If yes, is the Sun allready taken?

Time to go go go go go...

Check me out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    golem: emperor, 9 of swords
    clockwork: sun, knight of cups
    parcel: 7 of cups, wheel of fortune
    kir: queen of pentacles, 3 of wands

all good?

a sketch from me

my site
    chenthooran.com

deviantart
    mythrilgolem

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok so between us the theme is twisted dead fairytale like characters.
    sounds good! ill do some more sketches I like it! Can't wait to get started properly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lookin' good golem! The background is exactly the mood I think we're striving for! I'll post some sketches soon.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Parcel-Sisters For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some background work for the 7 of cups. I'm thinking this is going to be a bloody one, though I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to portray the character... I was thinking of the cups holding his blood pouring from several suicidal wounds (wrists, neck, and other places I can't think of) to kind of demonstrate the card's meaning of indecision as far as all the various places to cut yourself.
    Another thought was to have each cup hold a different kind of poison to again show variations that the 7 of cups symbolizes. Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmrmmm rmmmm indecision. also wishful thinking and disconnect/ungroundedness. flowing blod is a good idea for the water elemtn of cups in general. 7 wounds on the body? i can't really think of 7 off the top of my head.
    some ideas:

make the 7 goblets phantasmic/smoky and have them collect blood and tip into each other in v formation at the bottom. so just 2 for collecting from wrist streams

have the figure hung. the noose could be ghosty.

float a lot of knives around the hands to show more options.

more overlapping spirals/circles for the graphics in the bg.

tilt the head to one side with the legs crossing over slightly to face the other?

some cool stuff for ghostliness/disconnectedness:
    http://magiccards.info/scans/en/9e/74.jpg
    http://magiccards.info/scans/en/fut/2.jpg
    http://www.wizards.com/mtg/images/da...lVecSplash.jpg
    http://wowbox.yatta.com.tw/mtg/image...lot_il_Vec.jpg

i sorta wondered off to work on another pic D: but it'll be ok, should definitely finish in time. gotta shove more symbols into the emperor card too, so i'll be looking up more of the meanings tonight. might also add more complexity to the graphic bg if it pertains to the theme, it looks very simple to me now that i've played around with it more.

my site
    chenthooran.com

deviantart
    mythrilgolem

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was definitely thinking of having the figure hung... but I wonder if that'll confuse the card with The Hanged Man? It's kind of the same problem with the knives since there is a whole Suit of Knives. So I dunno -- maybe if it's not the focus...? I'll work with some more ideas, but I'll put the figure in a less stiff, more corpse-like pose.

I love the little glowing crown! It goes well and adds a perverse element to the card. You were going to have chains holding him up, weren't you? Are they going to be holding him in a sitting position, or is he actually seated on something?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That emperor is the epitome of morbidness and awesomeness for me. Love it. Looking forward to competing with you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @parcel: hmm you've got a point, i think so long as the goblets stand out a lot more than the knives you should be ok, same with the noose maybe. how about another ungrounded way to die, in a bathtub? would certainly fit with the suicide idea. oh you could try pill bottles and razor blades instead of knives
    the pose thing isn't so much for making it more dead-like, though it has that effect. i was thinking of ways to show indecision.
    and i'll be adding the hooks and chains too, but i gotta work on weighting him right (bring the legs up and drop his butt for one). he looks supported from beneath... unless i put a pole through his pelvis horizontally >_>

@Janos: the epitome? wow thanks indeed XD. instantly fell in love with the theme your team is going for and can't wait to see what you guys roll out (also you should check out michael hussars work if you haven't already)

my site
    chenthooran.com

deviantart
    mythrilgolem

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    loving it all so far!

sorry for the lack of responses from me, been under the weather and the kids are home as the schools are closed due to snow, so day drawing tie is 0 atm hopefully feeing better so will get stuck in tonight so glad we have our direction sorted now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's cool Alex, hope you get some peaceful arting time
    an update (some layers are invis, i'm still going for predominantly dark with glowy light)

my site
    chenthooran.com

deviantart
    mythrilgolem

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres a sun update crits pls!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Parcelsisters - I like the idea of razor blades, could the cups be full of blood? I like the background andcomposition, looking forward to the update.

Mythril Golem - loving the mood of the whole thing, the glow of the crown is ace, perhaps we could have a glowing object in each card?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Golem - great progression! Keep it up! My only suggestion so far is to raise his mouth -- right now the angle of the nose is steeper than the mouth so it looks like he has a really large space between his nostrils and the upper lip.

I agree with clockwork bunny that maybe each of the cards should have a small glowing emblem that symbolizes the card as a whole. Of course, golem, if you want to keep this unique to your own, just say so!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @clockwork: hmm not sure but if the head is the tilted that much would the neck be as visible as it is? pose to reflect the card, open palms looking deliberate, also more corpsified. the way the hand is held above the chest with a light in it looks liek she's very much alive. for the bg graphic style sunbeams (triangles wavy or straight) rather than random.

@Parcel: thanks for pointing that out, yeah i'll try some more changes to the head. tried some before to make it more human and less melted but the melted just felt a lot better for the overall image. and happy birthday

and go for it, so a white graphic that glows? or perhaps just for major arcana. we could use creeping dark borders and only have the single figure lit. the more we have in common the more unified our collective entry so i'm happy.

Last edited by mythril_golem; January 7th, 2010 at 08:14 AM.

my site
    chenthooran.com

deviantart
    mythrilgolem

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    k repositioning the head so its tilted to one side and the hand so its palm up, i'll fiddle with the hand holding the sunlight see if i can make it look more dead - it was meant to be the light of life leaving the body and the last attempts to hold it in.
    Cheers for the feed back

and Happy Birthday Collette!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.