Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pure Explodium!

Thanks

Pure Explodium!

Coming to your screen made from Purest Explodium!

Clockwork Bunny
    Mythril Golem
    Parcel Sisters
    Kir Nuyts
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey peeps

All ready here?
    _.·´¯`·-> Choose Life <-·´¯`·._
    Check me out

Thanks
    Hey I ll start design a logo ok!

Attachment 867116

I made this real fast...looks like dog**** It s only few fancy Photoshop effects lol... but i ll make new one ok.
    Last edited by Kir Nuyts; December 30th, 2009 at 01:51 PM.
    _.·´¯`·-> Choose Life <-·´¯`·._
    Check me out

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kir Nuyts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    okay people, get on skype grrr (not right this second, i just mean in general >_>)
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society"

my site
    chenthooran.com

deviantart
    mythrilgolem

Thanks
    with much faffing and fiddling the mic, headphones are set up and skype installed.

A very appropriate topic - been dabbling with Tarot recently.
    I like our cards and can't wait to get started I've had a look at the meanings and if we were to take that as a team reading -its pretty good, just need to be wary of the feeling over whelmed ( 9 swords) or having too much choice and being self indulgent ( 7 cups)
    Last edited by Clockwork Bunny; December 27th, 2009 at 04:30 PM.

Thanks
    Ok so what we need to sort out.. I've been talking with MG and I came up with a to do list which I need your input on.

1. Over all style - Scott M Fischer has been put forward as a style we think would be pretty cool and push us on the challenge. Are we happy with this?

2 - Who's doing which card - We have:

The Emperor
    The Wheel of Fortune
    The Sun
    3 of Wands
    9 of Swords
    7 of Cups
    Knight of Cups
    Queen of Pentacles

I'd like to claim The Sun & the Knight of Cups if no-one objects.

3 - Boarders and Fonts - We should have one boarder and fonts style to tie all cards together, this we need to discuss.

I know we still have New Year to come but anything before the challenge begins to help us co-ordinate better can be done before then so we can use the challenge time purely on the cards themselves.

Thanks
    ok
    1: scott m fischer's graphic bg +char is only a start as far as style is concerned imo, we have much to discuss. but 3/4 have said they liked it so i think we're good on that bit

2: not particularly bothered with what i get but my mild preference is for emperor and 9 of swords

and 3: borders and fonts might not even be needed, since daestwen mentioned possibly printing a set i think there will be one done separately outside of the comp entries.

also we need to think of something in the way of story/flavour.

my site
    chenthooran.com

deviantart
    mythrilgolem

Thanks
    had a thought for the story line for flavour, what about changeling as a theme?

Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere is based on the changeing's world within worlds.
    There was also a White Wolf RP game Changeling the dreaming
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeling_The_Dreaming
    twisted fantasy with dark and sinister elements.

from this I would use a Sidhe - the nobility, Lords and Ladies, elves, the Shining Host. The dream of all that is noble and honourable in leaders, but also the arrogance of many leaders for the sun
    and a Satyr - lovers and revelers, horned god, Pan. Formed from the deep passions and lusts of mortals for the knight
    Last edited by Clockwork Bunny; January 1st, 2010 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks
    Wow, I really need to get with the picture! Apologies to you guys for being a little more than slow with communications. I promise this won't be a problem from now on (hopefully).

As far a styles and theme, we should really stay away from any overworked ideas, which means our overall theme should not be something that someone sees and thinks, 'Oh, that's fantasy/ sci-fi/ etc.' This, I believe, especially includes steampunk, which has been used more in the past few years than Lindsay Lohan's toilet and gag reflex. ;-) But seriously, what's going to make these characters interesting is that we've never encountered anything like them at all. That doesn't mean they have to look outrageous and alien, because 'alien' itself is another common topic that should be avoided.
    I think what we can do is make a combination of themes, overall "emotions," legends, etc. to make something familiar yet strange. Clockwork Bunny brought up some work by Neil Gaiman and his book, Neverwhere, which I think is a great source to draw from for a mix of realism and mysticism. Gaiman's other stuff works just as well, especially the Sandman series which gives us a cast of 'D' characters that we can identify with and never really understand at the same time. Personally, however, most of Gaiman's work is with known characters and myths, which can get a little boring. In short, I think this project could be really interesting using characters that
    1) we can't identify with a genre (fantasy, sci fi, steampunk, etc.,
    2) clash themes together (ie, historically we know how to perceive an emperor or what swords were used for, but what do they mean out of context in a contemporary setting: Emperor = corporate executive, 9 of swords = 9 different weapons a housewife might use to kill her husband)

A good idea might be to add some sort of sinister twist. Like if we combine two INCREDIBLY different themes. For example, if we use Fischer's overall creepiness and generally 'dirty' composition with pleasant pin-up/ 50's advertisement themes.

Pure Explodium!

Pure Explodium!

Pure Explodium!

Pure Explodium!

Pure Explodium!

Pure Explodium!

Anyway, there are still plenty of things to discuss but at least we can start putting stuff down on a canvas. It makes no real difference to me which cards I do -- I think they're all very interesting and it's the style we do them in that's going to be the most fun. :-)

Below are a few references I gathered together. I hope I'm allowed to post them as long as I state they aren't my own work...? Mostly Mucha, Amano, and Klimt..

Pure Explodium!

Pure Explodium!

Pure Explodium!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Parcel-Sisters For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    very interesting posts and i agree with a lot of it, but what say you people to a daily meeting on skype (or any other im you all want to use)? not sure if you got the message since i've been away a few days. real time conversation would save time.

my site
    chenthooran.com

deviantart
    mythrilgolem

Thanks
    agree - caught up with MG be good if we can all get together at some stage.

I'm usually on between 7- 11pm GMT - not necessarily all that time

anyway been sketching more ideas and thumbnails

Thanks
    Ok, so just read the backlog from skype. There were some good ideas passed around. I think we definitely should find some sort of paintchat so we can all put our ideas down in both words and images at once, but we'll definitely need a specified time to gather. School and work starts for me tomorrow, so pretty much every day I don't get out of work/ school until 6-ish over here, which makes an ungodly hour in the morning for everyone else.. :-( I'll sneak on when I can during work in the morning for me, but I think most of our time together is going to have to be on weekends. If 7-10 works for you guys, that's about midday I think for me, so that'll work pretty much every weekend.

Also, I really liked the zombie-ish theme, but if another team is already doing that, I think the 'dead' theme is different enough to use. Sounds good! Hopefully I'll catch you guys on skype soon! :-D

Thanks
    Also, if there's no objections, I'll be taking the 7 of Cups and Wheel of Fortune.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast