Does anyone draw/paint with graphite powder and blenders? Tips ?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Does anyone draw/paint with graphite powder and blenders? Tips ?

Yeah just invested in some graphite powder today and was wondering if anyone had tips

*getting hard edges with a blender.. or any object really.
    *what are some techniques or tools that let you best control the graphite powder?? (And what about drawing with kneaded erasers instead of blenders?)

Any other amusing techniques ? Lemme know.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    For harder eges, I'd recommend a kneaded eraser. You can form it to the shape and pull the values out. This gives you a nice edge.

as for graphite powder, I've never used it so I can't say much about it. Seeing as its free flowing powder, I'm not sure there is much you can do to control it (or at least the application of it).

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

To get chrisper edges you can mask off an area with a sheet of paper or thin plastic, which is also good for straight lines. A cotton swab works fine for blending, or a balled up piece of muslin which you can wash and reuse. If you go back over it lightly you can soften the edge.

David B. Clemons
    Website
    Blog

Can it be used directly to draw/paint? I always assumed it was for toning paper prior to drawing....

Use it however you wish. I sometimes take a balled up rag dipped into powder to get a large fat stroke; although, I typically use charcoal powder. Graphite powder is only as far away as my mechanical pencil sharpener. Charcoal powder is also easy to come by.

Speaking of painting, you can mix it with turpentine and apply it with a brush to get a paint-like effect without having to change mediums. This is a way to also make a good carbon paper, but I wouldn't buy graphite for that.

David B. Clemons
    Website
    Blog

DBclemons Is exactly right. Richard Schmid and Scott Burdick use it with turp and brushes and get some amzing results. Go to Burdicks website and you will see examples there, not sure if Scmid has any up right now but his older book on figure painting from 1973 describes the process step by step

One other thing comes to mind: you may notice that by just rubbing it on that the value won't get very dark. You can burnish it with something like the wood handle of a brush or anything hard but not damaging to the paper, and that will make it slightly darker. Of course, you can also draw on it with a pencil, as well as use a fixtive to make layers.

If you use turpentine it's harder to get a clean erasure. Alcohol also works but is a bit more hazardous and has no adhesive properties.

David B. Clemons
    Website
    Blog

For charcoal work you can use a chamois to lay down nice braod passages - should work for graphite as well.

Members who have read this thread: 1