333 views and only 1 comment?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: 333 views and only 1 comment?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy 333 views and only 1 comment?

I came here from Deviant art by a friends request in hopes to get helpful professional feedback. My finally finished thread has 333 vies (yay ) but only 1 comment (). Why cant people take the time to leave a nice comment when the visit??

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This community is very different from deviantart in that people generally don't leave comments as a courtesy when they view work. That's why more comments here are thought-out critiques rather than brief "omg i luv it" replies.

Odds are if you are posting in finally finished, you won't get critiques as it's more the place for ogling professional work. People do ask for and accept crits there but it's not the usual place. Post your work in the critiques section and start a sketchbook thread. Update your sketchbook regularly. People will not generally flock to a new sketchbook and drop comments, it takes time and usually a progression of multiple works to get a reader base. Not so much the place for drive-by comments.

Also, threads like this are generally frowned upon in the lounge. Since you didn't link diectly back to your thread here, I can let it slide but usually these sorts of threads are locked. Some people use the traffic of the lounge combined with a complaint and a link to get more views. No no.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Steph Laberis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Yeah i can see your point, but even my finished works i love to get opinions on, nothing is ever perfect. I love to get feedback in the form of critiques, and have been searching for somewhere to find it because my friends are too kind (being the only really artistic one out of the bunch)

I had no intent of gaining traffic from this, i was just looking to have a mini rant and see if anyone else felt the same disgruntlement. I don't even know how to make links >.< .... im harmless heh

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd reccomend starting a sketchbook for critiques. When i first started here, i wanted some eyes on my work and some brains telling me what to do. I started a sketchbook, and started commenting on everyone elses. When you get one going and start commenting on others, they'll generally return the favor and you'll start the good ol' learning process ca.org style. Good luck and welcome aboard!

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

or check out my: Blog

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You should start a thread in the Sketchbook forum, and put the link to it in your signature. Update it with all your studies, sketches and finished work. Then as you post around CA and as you post more in your sketchbook, people will drop you comments and help you improve. If you want critique on a specific piece, post it in the Critique Center, and you'll generally get a few constructive responses at the least.

To post the link in your signature, do it like this:
    [u rl=copy and paste the url of your sketchbook thread]My Sketchbook[/u rl]
    Delete the spaces from the [url] tag. Then you should be set. Let me know if you need a better explanation and I'll be happy to help.

Also I didn't see your topic, but keep in mind that most of the people who post there are professionals... if you're not to that level yet you may want to wait before posting there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,052 Times in 943 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You are a new member, stick around, post more.
    Get to know the people and show some interest. I checked out your post, i think it would be better off in the SB forum. Open a sketchbook and post there, you will get more feedback.
    Take a good look around in the FF section where you posted, there is a certain quality trend going on.

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You made a wise decision. This isn't the place to fish for complements, it's a place to grow as an artist. Go to the critique center if you want some serious help a peace. It's a good place to get pointed in the right direction. People might give your work a paintover or a redline treatment, those can be real helpful.

If you'd like to know how somebody did something, you can always ask.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

BlightedArt is offline That annoying itch you just can't seem to scratch Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A good start is to create a sketchbook and leave a link to it in your signature. Then go out to other sketchbooks and give some helpful feedback to other people. It's not just to get people to notice your posts and look at your stuff, you'll also start to follow some of your own advice... But once you help people out they'll be a lot more inclined to view your stuff and return the favour.

Hence why this becomes a really great community.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dont know why but I remember when I first posted on CA.org yeaaaaaars ago
    Different username, sadly I lost the password when I got caught up with school awhile back

But CA.org gave me the thing I needed most a reality check for one
    People dont just say something like "Omg I love this its perfect XD"
    They actually give you constructive criticism which looking back I remember at first I took it so personally it was almost funny. Pretty much all my life all I got was standard, thats amazing, this is so great from parents, teachers etc...
    Then I came here and got, people saying this is wrong, work on that, fix this over here, study this. It was like a system shock, then I simply realized its nothing personal they're just trying to help with what I couldn't see, which everyone needs at one time or another.

So yeah no point in saying what everyones already said many times, sketchbooks a must, critique center yada yada yada

But if you seriously wanna get better, this is the place to be
    Wish I had my first drawings I posted on here to compare with today but I dont have em anymore sadly
    Also reminds me, I havent done a sketchbook in a long time, probably should make another one now

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've moved that thread, and RyOrdStars's post, into the Critique section, it's a better place for it and more likely to generate responses.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My suggestion to you is to start a sketchbook and post in others sketchbook's.
    When I first started posting in my sketchbook I didn't
    get much traffic until I started looking at other sketchbooks and post (what I hope was) useful comments.
    The more you interact the more help you'll get, just make friends here!

...a perpetual plan for discovery days,where everyone can take part in "purposeless play".
    My Sketch 'em up book!!
    My Blog/portfolio site- purposelessplay.com/blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My friend, I can understand your frustration. But you must understand that this place is a place of intensive thought and work. A critique that has mean, that will help change the way you do things and help you grow, is worth a lot...you've gotta earn it.

I myself have a few pieces that may not be up to par with what's in the Finished thread, but for sake of consistency and personal motivation I posted them there. The fact that I've had as many views as you and have no answers doesn't make me feel bad, it makes me understand two things 1) that maybe for what the art is, it's ok, nothing may be wrong with it so there's not much to say or/and 2) it's not that great to praise. Either way, it means there's room for improvement.

Don't forget, studying art also has the purpose of understanding what is wrong on our own.

Regardless, welcome. Work hard and earn a good crit or two, believe me when they come they will mean more than truckloads of simple praises.

"Don't judge a book by it's cover" Frank Frazetta 1928-2010
    RIP Frank.

DA gallery http://michaelsyrigos.deviantart.com/gallery/

CA Sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=131601

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Line For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This community is very different from deviantart in that people generally don't leave comments as a courtesy when they view work. That's why more comments here are thought-out critiques rather than brief "omg i luv it" replies.
    oops! not true!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.