New to concept art - a character crit would be nice!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey all! I just joined, so I'm going to apologize in advance for anything silly and newbish that I may or may not do x]

Anyway, I've got this character that I've been working on for awhile for a comic idea of mine. I'm a little hesitant to post her here cause it seems like most of the art around here is super realistic (and not to mention way better than mine xD), but hopefully you'll excuse my tendency toward cartooniness :]

I've got a bunch of random info about her floating around my head, but I won't bore you with all the details. She's based off of a cat, works as a mechanic and sculptor in an alternate world where a catmonster wouldn't be out of the ordinary, and is missing a leg and an eye (as you might've already perhaps picked up on, hah)

I'm open to crits about the character design in general, but I'm especially looking for help on how to handle her prosthetic leg. I would really like to give her an actual feasible prosthetic, that could theoretically work and bend at the knee as she walks. Not necessarily gracefully, in fact kind of wobbly would be preferred. But I'm having trouble designing something, especially keeping in mind that I don't want to get too complex with it. I just know I want to keep it very.... hm, ghetto is the only term that comes to mind. As you can see I've attempted with making her current one with a toilet plunger, haha.

I think thats about it, so I'll shut up now. Any suggestions are welcome and very much appreciated :]

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really inspired character design. I'm really liking where you're taking this, so far. I agree with a ghetto-prosthetic. The plunger works perfectly as a suction cup, as for the leg, it definitely needs more visual appeal - maybe old mattress springs or something to jank it up. I'm not much help with technical work, unfortunately >_<;;

As for the rest of the design, super cute and totally tough at the same time. Keep the patch , it makes it classy.

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! Yeah I'm totally not happy with her leg right now. I always have trouble coming up with just about anything inorganic, its a huge weakness of mine I have to admit.

I forgot to mention, I want to take inspiration from this guy's prosthetics, because I think they look super cool:
    The only problem is that they're very fancy and specifically made, totally opposite of what I want this character's to be. And he's a below the knee amputee, so his prosthetics don't need to incorporate a bending mechanism. But I'd love to use the same aesthetic style or shape into hers somehow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually think the character design is pretty awesome already. The way her missing eye looks without the eyepatch is a bit weird though - right now it looks like you just didn't draw the second eye in yet.
    As for the prosthtetic, I'm not sure how flexible those lower parts are and if such things exist in your characters world, but maybe they could be cut out of car tires? Not entirely sure how they could be connected to the upper part then, though.
    Also, here's a sport prosthetic with a knee part.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Fliegenpilz

Quote Originally Posted by Fliegenpilz View Post
    The way her missing eye looks without the eyepatch is a bit weird though - right now it looks like you just didn't draw the second eye in yet.
    Ah yeah, that's always kinda bugged me in the back of my mind as well. I'm not sure the best way to draw it though? I mean, I've been around animals with missing eyes that the skin has just grown over, and it looks, well, just like that. Like the skin's grown over, no real distinctive... thing going on. So I'm unsure of how to draw something that just isn't there? If that makes any sense o-o Any suggestions for this would also be nice :]

Ooh, I wish I knew how that sport prosthetic you posted worked! Instead of just having to look at a picture. For both research and just cause it looks interesting x]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hm, I actually didn't know that the skin just grows over the missing eye on cats. I think the problem is that when you think of a missing eye most people will imagine it to look more obviously like an injury. Since she's not a cat entirely it might work to draw the eye a bit more like it looks on humans who have only one eye (and are not wearing a prosthetic for that).

I don't really know how it works either, so let me know if you happen to find out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fliegenpilz View Post
    Hm, I actually didn't know that the skin just grows over the missing eye on cats. I think the problem is that when you think of a missing eye most people will imagine it to look more obviously like an injury. Since she's not a cat entirely it might work to draw the eye a bit more like it looks on humans who have only one eye (and are not wearing a prosthetic for that).

I don't really know how it works either, so let me know if you happen to find out.
    Well, I can't speak for all cats. My cat grew skin over the socket seamlessly, which was totally creepy might I add, and I'd be lying if I denied the inspiration for this character coming partially from his unfortunate accident. But I've seen other cats and dogs that have nasty open holes, swollen lumps of scar tissue, or whose lids simply fuse together so it just looks like a harmless wink.

I'm a little hesitant to give her a scar. Scars over eyes just always struck me as a badass cliche, like you want to make this character look like he'll kick your ass, just give him a scar! Although I suppose a scar in the place of an eye is different, its still got a bit of that connotation to me. But, I think I'll play with some different ideas about how to show her missing eye, cause what she's got now just isn't quite working. Especially now that you've brought it to my attention, it was an old qualm of mine with her design that I settled for and just plain forgot about. So thanks for that :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love it I know a cat with a missing eye and you don't notice it either (no scars or anything). I think in terms of one image someone might think you've forgotten to draw it, but if this is a story/comic then I think it will work fine as it is as the reader will soon catch on that she has an eye missing.

I'm curious how she lost her eye and leg?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is such a well designed character! You've even looked into colour theory, which is one thing I was looking into on this.

The eye looks like, as everyone else has said, it's not drawn on, instead of not actually there. I think you could make the eye obvious by drawing a closed eye where it would be? That's the only thign I can think of.

A brilliant idea for the false leg there, though masybe adding more detailing and toold like a spanner around the knee may make it look a little more detailed whilst keeping with the steampunkish motif. I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to change it though.

Making a bit more ghetto-ish I think you might want to add some tattered clothes, a few rips and tears in the shirt and the like. Working with mechanics might make her a little grease-stained. I can see the shiort is torn at the bottom a bit.

sorry for not finsing much, but by golly this is a great design

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is very cool, the design is very well done my only problem is like everybody else said its the eye, about the leg i think you should use the ref that Fliegenpilz gave you, just work it with a few mechanical parts to get the feeling that she did it herself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice, I love the claw gloves!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I must say, I was a bit put off by the size of the head in relation to the body, and especially the neck, to start with, but it's grown on me a bit. I'm still a bit doubtful of such a tiny spot where the neck joins to the head, all the same. It's not a game-killer, by any means.

I wonder if the right foot isn't a little too peg-like, and doesn't provide much contrast between the actual peg leg and the biological foot. A little more difference between foot and ankle would probably make the character seem more grounded.

Other than those little nits, I'd say you have a really good design. Strong silhouette, appealing features, good line of action, plenty of potential for movement. I like it.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Research. There's no two ways about it.
    You and I and everyone else is limited only by what we don't know. So let's ... wait, did
    I mention that I love the character? That short tail, freaking cute man. I love it.
    Anyway, the details ... the details can always be researched.

Google string search = "prosthetics" + "sports" + "technology"
    ESPN sports
    Google string search: "prosthetics" + "sports" + "technology"
    OANDP
    I think there's been a lot of investment for returning US troops from wars, so that's
    one to look into. Sport athletes, obviously a major section to delve into as well.

-If I were in a ghetto, I'd probably make do with a piece of 4x4 gnarled (my own teeth) to specific length.

(I have an inkling you have a DA account, please give up the privy on that )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the design!

Just piping in to say of all cats and dogs I've seen with missing eyes (and there have been quite a few since I do rescue work), they all have exactly what yours does: Skin and fur grow over the socket and leave a soft indent. Nothing grotesque or anything. I suppose it would depend on the circumstances behind the eye -loss. I think it's great as it is, and her little eye patch is just precious.

I'm sorry your kitty in real life lost her eye. I hope she's okay!!

'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaah! Thank you all very much! I have been wanting to post my stuff here for awhile, but I was nervous cause this site has a reputation for giving really thorough and honest critiques and I wasn't sure I was man enough for it .~.
    But I guess now that I've gotten my ego stroked on what I consider my strong point, I should post some of my life drawings here and balance it out, hah.
    Expect to see more development on this girly sometime in the future! I don't have the time to do much in the way of fun art right now, but I'll post it here when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurenMagpie View Post
    I'm curious how she lost her eye and leg?
    Her story will take place well after both incidents, but she lost her eye when she was really young, she fell out of a tree and caught a branch on the way down. Her leg... I keep changing my mind about how she lost her leg, hah. But what I've got now is that one of her sculptures (hurr did I mention she's a sculptor in my first post?) fell on her and crushed her leg to an unusable point. Needless to say she is very very cautious now.

Quote Originally Posted by dwardo
    (I have an inkling you have a DA account, please give up the privy on that )
    hellodingo.deviantart.com :] Although I haven't really put up much of anything good lately x: I've been so busy and artistically drained cause of school work and commissions, so that makes up most of what's up there, not including doodles. The only reason I got that ref done was cause I had to for my storyboarding class.

Quote Originally Posted by PuppyKitten
    I'm sorry your kitty in real life lost her eye. I hope she's okay!!
    Twas many a year ago! He's long gone. Lived a full life after his mishap though, and he was spoiled rotten.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sugarfueled For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.