Advice about further studies in Graphic Design in the US

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Advice about further studies in Graphic Design in the US

So, I am looking to do a masters degree when I'm finished with my BA, but I'm unsure as to where i want to study. I'm currently living and studying in London, but I'm looking towards the US, however, I have little knowledge of American schools and how they structure their education. I basically want an oppurtunity to increase and strengthen my skillset and gain more experience and confidence before I start working. Also, I'm still young and don't want to settle into a job too soon, better to go out and see new places and meet new people while I still have that degree of freedom.

San Fransisco and New York seem to be the most interesting cities for me, and I might have a job oppurtunity in NY that would help me pay the bills. However, SF looks great, a lot of art and culture events that fit my tastes and I have a friend who is also wanting to go there for a Master. I find that having someone you know around helps with motivation, allthough I don't have problems getting to know people either.

My question is this, what are the best schools for graphic design or similar studies in NY and SF, which do you recommend? If any of you have done a MA in a related field I'd love to get some tips.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No one got any insight to offer? =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I'm not from the US, but I've been looking into masters programs too. Perhaps you might be interested in something at the School of Visual Arts. The co-chair of the MFA Design department is Steven Heller, and some of his books go into quite a bit of detail about the masters programs at the SVA. I was looking mostly at illustration courses, so I found 'Inside the Business of Illustration' (written by Heller & Marshal Arisman) to be quite informative, but the book also offers some insight on the design program.

Also you might have more luck asking in the 'art schools & education' forum

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought I'd get a larger response here actually, since there is generally a larger crowd in the lounge

I looked at the course at the School of Visual Arts, as well as their new Master in Branding (but I think that one might be a bit too business oriented and not much design).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.