Team Chow III: Messzi Scruffz
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Team Chow III: Messzi Scruffz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Team Chow III: Messzi Scruffz

Last edited by hungryan; December 15th, 2009 at 04:16 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys,
    Would you be up to take another member in? I've been looking for a team since ages, and we seem to be a good fit. I looked at all of your sb, great stuff.
    Drop me a quick pm, just so that I can relax and know that I have a team.

Cheers,
    Janos

PS: I will commit 100% just so that you know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sorry Janos, but I've had someone in mind already, so maybe you've misunderstood. I know how you feel, I didn't want to end up in a random team either. Best of luck anyway!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent! I'm psyched to be here!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hajrá külhoni magyarok!

i try to collect some friend from budapest, and create a team from my 'homecourt'

Cant wait this thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey ho!

Me and my scruffy friends, happy to join you!
    Maybe I will activate myself on the same go.

LoL Loe

The Baker's Dozen - SSSG#13
    Farvus Hiipi Onir machzero hpslashuvr glikster

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys,
    i made a banner for the team since i noticed the teams in Team CHOW 2 had them for the voting. hope you like it. unfortunately i had to crop it a bit funny to get everything in that i wanted to include. i'll put the full image over in my sketchbook.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool banner!
    I was thinking about making one, the first idea that popped into my mind was 4 guys tied together with their beards. But this one is better! My idea was kinda gay.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright guys,

the topic is up and i chose the hanged man and the nine of swords. i'm not positive about the hanged man. i wanted the hermit, but it seemed the next most interesting to me, so we'll see.

how about everyone else?

we have to turn in 2 pieces per team member (so eight total), and only half of our pieces can be from the major arcana cards (four) although we don't have to do the major arcana at all if we don't want to (i think).

we can't start drawing until the 1st, but we can brainstorm and research (i think). i am open to suggestions. should we try to set up a tentative schedule?

Last edited by goat27; December 28th, 2009 at 02:38 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Goat: I choose 4 cards, so even if the rest of the guys are slow or something we will have decent cards to choose from. I think they are on a hardcore holiday, and not even close to a computer. If you want to give up the hanged man and want to take something else from the 4 remaining cards, it's okay for me. Making a schedule is a good idea, and picking up some information about the cards and posting it here would also be great. Do we want to follow the wikipedia description closely? I think it would be nice to at least have a common border/iconography for the cards. And we should think about the theme (some kind of universal one, medieval, futuristic etc. etc.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah, i thought that might be the case. i'm a bit envious. no particular rush then. in the mean time we can get the discussion started.

i think a common theme could be beneficial. we could bend any visual research in that direction then. any ideas? i usually lean towards low fantasy, as opposed to scifi or modern but i don't want to rule anything out without at least hearing from the other guys. how much do you want to follow the wikipedia descriptions? i'm ok with it, provided our symbols and stuff are well researched. although a lot of the information is repetitive, so that may not be enough...

unfortunately graphics and type are not my strongest area (i tend to just draw figures over and over again), but once we get going maybe i'll have some ideas.

good call getting a few more for the other guys too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think we should keep the symbolism written on wikipedia. We could add some more mythical elements. What if we take a theme and a setting which normally wouldn't mix very well, and try to come up with characters with that in mind? (It's just a silly idea, so stop me if it sounds crap) Some examples:
    Gothic vampire pirates
    Urban street art low fantasy
    Children illustration with mythical/mystical tones

If you want to keep it more straightforward, then forget about this.

I will be home with my trusty computer on 4th of January, until then, I don't have Photoshop and wacom, only a pencil, but I will try to draw something on the way home on the plane. Could you make a collage of pictures from the net of what kind of mood would you like? I will do the same with some free image editing program.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sounds good. personally i like the gothic and the mythical/mystical options. why don't we start putting together some reference collages and see where it takes us? i was also thinking about a horror movie kind of theme...

i am in a similar situation, i have a computer, but there is too much going on here at my folks for the holidays. i'll be back home about the 4th or the 5th as well. we can all work out a schedule then.

Happy new year everyone!
    Boldog új évet mindenkinek!
    Hyvää uutta vuotta kaikille!

hope i got that right...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, you got it right, and Happy New year!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Guys! Yes, I am a person, not just a dirty imaginary friend of Hugryan's. This shall be my first post. Let's see how it goes and maybe I will dare to make another.

Jarno

And Happy New Year!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took Three of Swords. So Hiipi can still pick one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is goth-funny-pirate-horror-fantasy a good enough theme for us? (it was Jarno's suggestion). Everyone can decide about the amount of each ingredient for their own characters.
    I will start to collect some materials in the afternoon, now that I have a computer with photoshop. I'd like to make the Sun and the King of Swords cards from the ones we already picked.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, Hiipi took his card, so this is our list:
    The Moon
    The Sun - hungryan
    The Star
    The Hanged Man -Jarno or goat27, whoever wants it more (it seems Jarno wants it more)
    King Of Swords - hungryan
    Queen of Swords
    Three of Swords - Jarno
    Nine of Swords - goat27
    The rest is still free for all

Last edited by hungryan; January 5th, 2010 at 04:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  baroness-ref.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  302.2 KB

Some reference of the style me and Hiipi was thinking for the cards (we had the same idea). These are made by John Dyer Baizley and they are cd covers for the band called Baroness. Lots of other teams was thinking of the same kind of style, so I'm not completely sure about this anymore, maybe if we could make it darker? Anyhow I will see if I can find something else tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jarno- the hanged man is totally yours if you want it.

in which case, i think i'll take the moon. just read the description and i have some ideas for lunacy that might be fun.

those are some nice illustrations hungryan. similar to alfons mucha, who i've seen mentioned in other teams threads. i don't have a problem with it being close to other teams if that's what you want to do. i think it should be a bit darker, or at least mine will be. i think i want to be more painterly too, but i'd like to add some of those bright clear colors that are in these two pics. i'll see if i can find some examples of what i mean.

here are a couple mood boards based on the themes mentioned earlier. i've seen many people do this on the boards and back in school, but i don't think i have ever done it myself. my apologies if they aren't up to snuff.

presented here are goth (wasn't sure if you meant goth fashion or older gothic imagery, victorian almost? went with the first), horror, and pirates.

i am open to any additions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  sunsketch01.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  66.6 KB
    Here is my first completely uninspired sketch for the Sun. I don't really like anything about it, but this is how much I could do today. Maybe tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, sorry guys. my stay at home for the holidays accidentally became longer than i had originally intended.

anyway, here are some sketches for the moon. reading the description-

A full moon (with a crescent within), twin pillars, two dogs/wolves howling, a stream that runs to the ocean, a crayfish emerging out of the water.

-i feel like alot has to come from the environment kinda feel like the character present in the card would be the fool, and all this would be taking place around him... so i don't really feel like there is a character evolving out of my sketches. i was mostly just drawing a "wild child" that would run with the canines and howl at the moon.

maybe i need to look at the meanings of the card instead-

visions, illusions
    genius, madness
    powerful, darek, primal

-yeah, i think i will look try to keep that and the earlier reference in mind going forward. there is a lot there for some potent childrens' storybook stuff, or even some of the horror film aspect. maybe a manic depressive artist even.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah, yeah that's much better i think. now it's a manic artist cutting himself and then drawing the symbols from the card in his own blood.

not sure if he'll be in an asylum, and all straight-jacketed... or if he might just be somewhere all gothed up.

and i thought maybe the stuff he is drawing could be coming to life, like a doorway or window that is in front of him.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  kingofswordsheadketch.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  116.2 KB

Here is a sketch for the head of the king of swords. I didn't really care about the meaning of the tarot card, maybe the picture just represents how I feel nowadays? Dunno.

Goat27, I like your idea about the mad artist/art coming to life. And I've also liked that kinda wolfman-headed guy, wouldn't it be a good idea to combine the 2 somehow?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AH, I LIKE IT! i really like how the sword points turn up to make a crown. my only suggestion would be to try it with only one handle, maybe coming into the head under the jaw. right now the two handles take away from the graphic element of all the blades (i do think there is HUGE potential for graphic elements with this guy). like, what if he is covered in those blades, and there is only the one handle that he is holding, controlling it all?

King of Swords

He sits in judgment, holding the unsheathed sign of his suit. He recalls, of course, the conventional Symbol of justice in the Trumps Major, and he may represent this virtue, but he is rather the power of life and death, in virtue of his office. Divinatory Meanings: Whatsoever arises out of the idea of judgment and all its connexions-power, command, authority, militant intelligence, law, offices of the crown, and so forth. Reversed: Cruelty, perversity, barbarity, perfidy, evil intention.

hmmm, that reversed idea might be what you are feeling... if not, i wouldn't worry if there isn't a connection to the meanings. i say keep it going in the direction you have it and see what happens.

i think the most i may add to the moon might be some scruff (heheh) and maybe the crazed eyes and a twisted cheshire cat-type smile... that way he would be left with the illusion, genius aspect, and the madness could come from the vision coming to life behind him. i dunno, i'll see what happens.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  kingofswordssketch.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  100.2 KB
    I've liked that "covered in blades" idea you've suggested and went forward with it in that direction. Took the handles off the head also. Dunno if all this will work, but we will see.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.