Eow 129 war zone
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eow 129 war zone

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Eow 129 war zone

EOW 129: WAR ZONE

Brief
    There is no brief
    make it up
    Merry christmas, peace on earth
    this is what you make of it, as it is totally wide open

DUE December21st 2009

Go!!

NO description required, say what you need to say visually. the words are already there.

FOLLOW THE TOPIC.

POST YOUR FINAL HERE THREAD.

SAVE YOUR FILES IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT.
    EOW##_Nickname
    example: "EOW#100_Chaosrocks.jpg"

PLACE THE IMAGE IN A FRAME WITH YOUR NAME/TOPIC

example from CHOW

(you can add CA logo, etc).

Add an icon to you final post
    150 pixels either direction
    PLEASE OUTSIDE HOST THE ICON
    k thx

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy shishkabobs this is awesome

BTW, i lost my internet for the last week or so, which is why i had no opportunity to try the last EOW. I definately gonna give it a go, and try to have it a s a portfolio piece. Good job to the winner.

Last edited by thescala; December 14th, 2009 at 04:19 PM.

Natzuur-JK is offline Arrrggghhh im a..... ninja? Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So im wondering, the brief pretty much says anything and everything but is it limited to "war zone" or can it truly be anything, i know its supposed to be non-specified, but can you specify?

Freelance/general inquiries @: Natzuur@gmail.com

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    don't be an ass.... "war Zone" is the topic. the art should depict some aspect of some war zone somewhere and some when..... there is a topic. it's just a very open one. but now that you mention it.. maybe I should hold a Topicless -environmental free for all. See how easily you all come up with ideas. not a bad idea////

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too many possibilities in a completely open topic, My Brain would flee in terror from the blank canvas layed out in front of me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *headdesk*

well the last one was apparently too specific

so I figured I give you a ll the freedom to do any thing you damn well please and maybe you'd all stop complaining about the boring topics.

what other Art director would give you Carte Blanche? this is totally unrealistic.. but there you have it. Gird your loins. Un sheathe your wacoms and face that blank page with courage and creativity... show me what you're made of! Are you artists? or Are you parrots.. gabbling back the images given to you by the industry with out thought or input. Now is a chance to show that scene you've always wanted to see in a game. you want game? so make it a game....!
    Make decisions , be bold! don't ask to be spoon fed ideas and then complain about the ideas you are given!....
    NOW IS YOUR CHANCE TO HAVE IT YOUR WAY!
    in other words, Gaius.. I know you have it in you

GO GO GO!

ps (for any one who wants ideas and or specifics, I am always a font of such... just not requiring them)

Last edited by chaosrocks; December 15th, 2009 at 03:15 PM.

Sketch book

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whether it's an exctremely tight brief or even totally open, there will still be some kind of complaint. I'm sure its just part of human nature, we're happiest when we complain, whatever the reason
    But i do agree with gaius, open topics are so much scarier, to many thoughts and ideas, all at once and it often leads to less time to creating the actual artwork itself

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maaaan... Chaos can't catch a break.

I'll be seeing what my twisted mind may come up with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Placeholder

War Zone = very yes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been watching for a long time, and I'm still not super good at digital art, only just learning. But I'll give this a go.

Also I think the last topic was great, I just didn't have time to work on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been watching for a long time, and I'm still not super good at digital art, only just learning. But I'll give this a go.

Also I think the last topic was great, I just didn't have time to work on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No complaints from me so far Chaos. Sweet topic and open is just as good as specific, (IMHO) so I'm in!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been meaning to give this a try for ages, hope I can find time this week to do something. I've had a few ideas in my head since I saw the topic and I'm looking forward to blowing a few things up! Good luck all and have fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool topic, I think I want to have something to do with air battle...

Edit: Oooo, I think I'm gonna do something holiday themed. 'Tis the season!

Last edited by Zirngibism; December 15th, 2009 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's mine so far, hope the figure doesn't violate the rules.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice comp so far raymus, the soldier looks a little stretched , but im assuming its his coat. nice feel though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Raymus: the perfectly level composition is a bit boring, and the soldier looks posed and stiff... for that kind of scene you want something in your face and dynamic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by chaosrocks View Post
    *headdesk*

well the last one was apparently too specific

so I figured I give you a ll the freedom to do any thing you damn well please and maybe you'd all stop complaining about the boring topics.

what other Art director would give you Carte Blanche? this is totally unrealistic.. but there you have it. Gird your loins. Un sheathe your wacoms and face that blank page with courage and creativity... show me what you're made of! Are you artists? or Are you parrots.. gabbling back the images given to you by the industry with out thought or input. Now is a chance to show that scene you've always wanted to see in a game. you want game? so make it a game....!
    Make decisions , be bold! don't ask to be spoon fed ideas and then complain about the ideas you are given!....
    NOW IS YOUR CHANCE TO HAVE IT YOUR WAY!
    in other words, Gaius.. I know you have it in you

GO GO GO!

ps (for any one who wants ideas and or specifics, I am always a font of such... just not requiring them)

Oh I wasnt talking about this EOW, Warzone is cool, its one with no topic at all that is daunting.

I need direction otherwise I would just paint clouds all day....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    they'd be durn fine clouds

Reymus thanks for being the first to actually post work on this one. I would say look at your value composition. your figure doesn't violate the rules but it is the most dominannt shape in you composition which is making it about him and s not about the environment. also just in a compositional sense an off center dark shape leading no where in particular is not a particualrly compelling image and the llandscape being a big V right in the middle of the page is make it very static. between the dark/light contrast and the pointing of the gun barrel I can't actually look at anything in the picture but he highlight on the soldier's helmet.

since we seem to be looking at a WWIbattles zone here I would suggest a little research into what they actually looked like. Partly as a suggestion of additional elements that could actiavate your composition. possible suggestions: Move soldier farther off centera nd into a foxhole or trench..this being the era of trench war fare which his attitude would indicate anyway. concider razor wire or some other dividing type designation are those distant tanks his companions or the enemy he is fighting? sometimes when you have decided one a look or an era... then is the time to go do a little research see what it really looked like. (personally I tend to research even when Im not sure what Im looking for ... when I troll for ideas I just tyoe stuff in to google images and see what comes up.. wonder what happens when you put in "war zone"?

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love it.
    LOVE IT.
    I just really really hope I can get some time to work on this one. I need to get my ass back to WORK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in The previous was a bit to difficult to understand for me. Reading/writing english is one thing, but using a complex written poem as a concept is a bit above my head

I recently bought 1943 so I'll combine this eow with a kind of fan-art piece for the game

Ciao!

Natzuur-JK is offline Arrrggghhh im a..... ninja? Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha i wasn't trying to be an ass, it was a real question =( but this will be much fun, thanks for an awesome topic! (BTW i think a free-for-all would be cool, might be hard to battle gaiuses clouds tho hahaha)

Freelance/general inquiries @: Natzuur@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK...decided to give this a blast.

Had a play with Artrage 3's new shiny tools. They are bloody brilliant!

Trouble is I don't think i'll be entering the challenge...Booo.... as i'm away on my xmas holiday from friday...YAY!

Not sure it is entirely "Warzone", think i'd need to work on it a bit more and make it look a bit more war torn. Artillery crators and blown up tanks, etc.

Anyway. This is what I've got.

C&C welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, by "war zone" I'd like to show perhaps a part of civilization (like a city) affected by war, as opposed to an actual designated "battle ground".

"an area marked by extreme violence" is part of the merriam-webster definition of "war zone", so I'm guessing I'd be safe with that interpretation...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't had time to participate on CA much lately, but now that school is going on break I should be able to get this one done.

Awesome topic, I've already kicked around a few ideas, but here's where I'm heading so far... I still plan to add more content in the mid-background behind the overpass - things are looking too empty there. Plus, some distant fire/explosions, maybe some other action.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Think I might be fast enough to try and finish one of these now, so going to try. Here's the WIP, just testing out composition and some lighting, sort of a space graveyard thing so need more than one source. Any thoughts appreciated. =) Wondering if it's maybe too busy?

And Stinger88:

It'd be too bad if you couldn't finish that. I'm a sucker for 'mechs and the desert and you have both. Enjoying the colours as well, the only thing is that something feels odd about how the rocks are sitting on the sand, might be the darker patch to the right, or the shadows, but I'm not entirely sure.

"I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers." - Kahlil Gibran

Sketchbook: Critique greatly appreciated =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update, I flipped, and moved the figure, aaaaand a smidge of color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosrocks View Post
    don't be an ass.... "war Zone" is the topic. the art should depict some aspect of some war zone somewhere and some when..... there is a topic. it's just a very open one. but now that you mention it.. maybe I should hold a Topicless -environmental free for all. See how easily you all come up with ideas. not a bad idea////
    An interesting idea, and yet I suspect quite a few people (including myself *nervous chuckle*) might be a little too tempted to enter something they've already worked on. I suppose it could work better if we were required to post several WIP's during the process or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am assuming a certain Honour.

there have been incidences of this in the past. I'm not going to hedge about with rules. I merely trust that you all realize that if you post old work A, you Arent going to learn anything or get anything out of this activity. and B. you are missing the point.

so the consequences are built in
    not too worriedd about it

and a worn torn city is fine
    war zone implies active warfare though
    recent devastation.

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Raymus, I second Chaos. You can force the eye to you environmental center by focusing detail in the area of the guns. Also, the figure's relation to the geography seems strange. You have the curves in the center terminating at the soldier's head and the flatness on the left side of the figure. I my opinion, this flattens this area. I would try continuing the slope of the curve off the left of the image and see if you like this better.

wip

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.