http://marcocaradonna.com/
    +44(0) 7900936680
    marco.caradonna@yahoo.it
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty cool work, lacks a little bit in contrast if you ask me...maybe some more highlights would help.
    Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This might just be my personal taste, but the tangents on top are distracting. The mountains to the right and the horns on two of their helments all just barely touch the top of the composition, or are just barely cropped. Somehow this creates a lot of unintentional tension in my eye. Other than that, it looks awesome.

Just another old dog learning new tricks.
    My sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=158092
    My website
    http://www.drawhaus.com
    My environment concepts thread in the entertainment design section
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=180968

artwork for "the guard", a webcomic that I am illustrating
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...94#post3025594

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rolandb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great atmosphere! Well done.
    One thing I would add is a bit more sunlight on the wooden bars and metallic surfaces from the right side.
    At the moment the front area is too dark in my opinion.

creative disorder | Sketchbook | Me on Deviantart

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like it a lot. Puts viewer right into the scene.

I would make the negative shapes of those characters on the right more clearly defined. Also sharper and more defined silhouettes of those mountains in the back.

The mountains get lots of light from the sun. You could make them bounce some warm ambient light which would hit characters from right side. It could help in defining the form of the armours. Optional thing though.

Hope it helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I kind of like the amount of contrast given, Maybe play around with the contrast a bit and see if anything stands out more or not. Maybe a little darker in the areas of the figures maybe not. Idk Im undecided.

Post what happens regardless

-Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the mood of the piece. I have a few critiques though.

It seems as if this tower that your guys are standing on is very high in the air. Generally wouldn't there be wind blowing? Adding some details to show the wind blowing would add some movement to the scene and also give your characters a more tough, "I'll work in any kind of weather condition" kind of feel.

From a compositional standpoint, the biggest character in the scene draws the viewers attention right away and has the most detail and whatnot. That's definitely a good thing. However, in this case he's staring right off the page. Following the character's gaze just leads the viewer off the side of the image. Maybe there is some way to turn him slightly to make him looking in a direction that the viewer can actually follow. Generally you want the viewer's eyes to follow a specific line through the image, almost as if you are telling a story. Kandinsky did a lot of study of line and composition. I personally think that reading up on his theories could do a lot of good for you. I don;t think you should make any kinds of drastic changes to this piece as the style is great so far. It's just something to keep in mind further down the road.

One last thing that threw me off was the coloration of the mountains. I do like the variation in color and I'm a big fan of strategically placed super saturated colors, but I don't think the color of the mountains really works with this image. The characters seem to take a lot of influence from Norse designs. Now they lived in more temperate/arctic environments. The mountain colors and layered style you have now are seen more in desert scenes. Maybe some snowcapped mountains would make the scene more believable. Maybe you could make them green with trees to add some of that color back in, or even go with an autumn scene to keep the oranges and yellows.

Anyways I'll shut up now. It's definitely a great start. Have fun and good luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stratosis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It seems like they're in a much different light setup than the mountains in the back. It would be totally plausible that they're in the shadow of a mountain or something, but if that's the case, you need to give clues about that in the environment- maybe a sliver of lighting somewhere on the balcony, just something to tie it in to the environment. If that's not the case though, they need to be much more strongly lit. The figures themselves are working quite nicely though, love the armor.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys it has been a long while,apologies if i didn't find time to answer before but i crazy worked the WHOLE xmas holidays and i was able to put my hands on this just yesterday(i'm in Italy for a little vacation),anyway
    Wow Thanks for the tons feedback you posted throughout december
    I added a little portion on top to avoid the bad cropping(thx rolandb),some details to make the whole scene more beliavable and dynamic(floating beard and so on thx to stratosis),changed a little bit contrast(was quite dull actually,thx to demo and 2tall4yall)and lighted the foreground a bit more(thx to Sidharth Chaturvedi)
    I think ti work better now but i'd like to hear your opinion first
    Thanks again guys ,these things really help pushing me to do better and to improve as artist
    Ciao
    M

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Marco Caradonna
    Illustrator & Concept Artist
    +44(0) 7900936680
    marco.caradonna@yahoo.it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is great, you added alot of detail, but I almost prefer the "feeling" of the 1st tower better. I liked that it felt colder, more alone, and that they were REALLY high up. With the addition of the structure/fort to the right on the mauntians it makes the charactors seem much lower than before, and for me completely changes the piece- they are not as high, not as isolated. Also while a nice touch-for me there might be too much warm light on the wood railing on the right-same with the yellowish light on the mountians to the right- I liked the cooler colors and feeling of isolation in the top piece. In the top piece I could just feel the wind blowing b/c they were so high--like in a tower in one of the cliff side castles from return of the king. . .Just my taste though. Great job finishing the men and their armour etc.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys,
    here's the latest updates(thx to steven6 for the useful feebacks)

Hope you like it
    M

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Marco Caradonna
    +44(0) 7900936680
    marco.caradonna@yahoo.it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the character looking over the wall. He is engaged and draws you in, then the guy next to him is chilling like a stud like nothing is going on. Mood is lost between these too elements.

There is a sense of mystery with the older gent like something is happening we can't see. If all three of them appear "alert" to this mysterious thing or event, I believe your composition would excel. It's up to you if you want to do a major edit to this overall sweet pic. Just something to remember next time in initial sketches.

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Mattsign
    Composition is something i'm still struggling around at the moment,but i'll remember this advice thank you
    M

Marco Caradonna
    +44(0) 7900936680
    marco.caradonna@yahoo.it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say, I like the second to last version better. Don't know why you took out the wall and buildings down there. I thought they added interest.

One thing that is bothering me is the guy on the left - I would add a little to the bottom of the canvas so you are not cutting off his left hand.

Nice work - I really am enjoying the detail you put in the armor.

Website

CA Finished Work

CA Sketch Book

"I have transcended that phase in my intellectual growth where I discover humour in simple freakishness. What exists is real; therefore it is tragic, since whatever lives must die. Only fantasy, the vapors rising from sheer nonsense, can now excite my laughter." - Lord Pirmence of Castle Lutez

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.