Sketchbook: Andrew Sonea -04/1/2014 - Page 15
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The sun came out! Which meant I was able to photograph some stuff. It's a mixture of master copies and photostudies, then that last six images are all from life.

In less good news, Jeff Jones died today...it was a shock and disappointment to find out that we lost one of the greats.

Attached Images Attached Images                          
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Only got one painting done tonight. It's a copy after Jeff Jones...I painted it really zoomed out, so this is in fact larger than I actually was painting at (and this is a reduced size version). It's good to work larger I guess, even if I don't always zoom in. I have the option at least.

But yeah, still in a bit of shock that Jeff Jones is gone.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I tend to just work as large as my laptop can handle usually working in the range of 1800 pixals and have the option of zooming in if I feel it's nessiary. Glad the birthday went well!

I feel like I should know who Jeff Jones is, I don't!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Eh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

7. The Following User Says Thank You to xinranliu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, smooth life drawings. Really nice. I'd love to see what you could do with some longer, like 2 hour poses.

By the way, when are you most likely on msn? What's your timezone too. Still ain't caught each other.

I'll have to look into Jeff Jones now, I'm not really familiar with his work. It's too bad.

Keep at it man, you're doing well. It's cool that you're trying the IDW, I definitely suggest trying some things out of your comfort zone. Maybe some more environments too?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW! Your making leaps and bounds with your figural stuff! I think you're on the right path for sure! I've noticed you have a bit of frustration in getting down features in the face.. I would really try to indicate the big shapes/planes before you add them in. I think the reilly method has some great proportional grids to memorize that help you find the planes early on in your construction. I would check out the Jack Faragasso's book Mastering Drawing the Human Figure: From Life, Memory, Imagination. It has a great summary of reilly's method. If you want some examples of other techniques, Henry Yan's Figure Drawing techniques and tips is a really great book.. it will melt your mind, lol! Drawing is a numbers game, and your definitely putting in your hours.. keep your head up! Cheers!

MY DAILY SKETCHES

If you can read this, I gave you 5 stars

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark_Eyes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heeey, Andrew, saw that you got some teen chalenge stars now, wanted to say congrats ! was checking your sb's from time to time but didn't dropped any comment yet heh. If ya want to check some nice stuff for inspiration,technique or whatever for academic drawing check out : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9894453/Drawings.zip a friend showed me this today and I found it very awesome!

And from personal tip: Watch the intensivity of the lights/shadows trough the whole body, if they are the same the drawing/ painting loses some atmosphere feel.

Well, as dar eyes said, making nice progress, fun to watch !

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Justas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, so many awesome figures in this sketchbook, cant wait to see some illustration work

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ludic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lain: Yeah I think it is good to not zoom in too much, as it keeps the picture together as a whole more. The navigator window is also helpful. And definitely check out Jeff Jones--you won't regret it!

Xin: Oh man, that drawing was terrible (on the face, I think the rest is alright). I made the head too small a bit, then face waaaaay too small on that. Like, she looked like she had some sort of unfortunate deformity. Ah well.

eekolite: Damn, STILL haven't caught you on msn...but anyhow, I think I will stop the IDOW, not liking it much. I did do a little enviro study for you though .

Dark Eyes: Thanks so much man! I really appreciate your comments...although I'm afraid I disagree about how many hours I am putting in. Not enough it seems. I'll see about looking into those books too, although I have heard not so great things about Faragasso's one there.

Justas: Thanks for the crit and link! You are very right about my values, and that link is pure gold. Russian academic stuff is some of my favourite art in the world, and many of those are new to me.

Ludic: Thanks man! I gotta do an illustration soon I guess...too many studies and not enough application these days (as in, always with me D.

Throwing two studies up here for now, going to try and get a few done today as well. First is a study after Scott Christensen, who does some amazing landscapes. I feel like I learned a bit about colour doing it which is good.

The second is a two hour studydome I did with Ryanoir. It's a screenshot from some movie...I think Crank or something (he chose it).

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the paintover rofl it helps alot you did my face justice. Ill focus on rendering things out for awhile. Some nice studies here keep it up dude! Yeah checked out Jeff Jones, he was rad!

Last edited by Alex Eh; May 25th, 2011 at 04:58 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Eh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's a screenshot from some movie...I think Crank or something (he chose it).
    crank 2 high voltage, i'm so upset you still haven't seen it ;_;
    i'd spend longer on master copies, says me lol... like you just seem to be studyin color, but there is a lot other things you can study, and you seem to have carelessly placed strokes, you should copy his strokes-thats quite important for master copies
    i'm speaking out of what people have told me of course, i'm on your boat bruddah
    keep rock.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lain: No problem! Glad I could help

Ryan: Yeah I need to practice my stroke efficiency and brushwork more.

Blargh. So I think I was basically burning out (even though I wasn't doing much). I have basically just been wasting lots of time online, or on msn or on whatever, and just felt really tired all the time. I was only getting like 4 hours of sleep per night for a few weeks too, and that didn't help. I just woke up not long ago from a 16 hour hibernation to make up for this past week in which my average night was had like 3 or 4 hours, and one night this week I got zero hours of sleep. I think I will try to get more now, as sleep deprived me is just lazy and feels like crap.

Since my last update I have done pretty much zero artwork. I would go days at a time with doing nothing. The first sketch here I did like the day after my last post (another Christensen study), and the second is a little sketch from my mind I did a few days ago. Other than that I did one session of lifedrawing (the drawings from which I seem to have misplaced :/), but seriously, that is ALL for like two weeks.

Anyhow, I think I will try to ease into art again, and hopefully will be super productive by the time summer comes around (I finish school in like three weeks!).

Also, I turned 18 a few days ago. I had a good time thanks to my awesome girlfriend who put in a lot of time, effort and money to make my birthday the best . It's a bit scary and weird though to think I am an adult now...

EDIT: Forgot to put up a very quick poster design I did as a last minute entry for a scholarship thing to help pay for my school next year. Yes, I realize how the text is awful and nothing lines up...

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Andrew, happy birthday! I got into that mode to a week ago too and am crawling out of it now. It happens to me too, when I'm feeling tired all the time, very unmotivated, doing jack all on the internet, staying up late and sleeping very little, kinda just coasting though my day. Somethings telling me I'm depressed for what ever reason.

I think it's important to identity when you start doing the unmotivated things you do, stop for a moment and think about what might be causing it. Work on reversing it before you just go deeper into that mode, it's harder to crawl out of the deeper you go down!

Looking forward to more. Lets kill it, your done school in 3 weeks and I'm quiting my job in 3 weeks.

Last edited by Alex Eh; June 6th, 2011 at 12:55 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Eh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man,

You should try checking out the new Crimson Daggers study group and the related live streams for motivation. Dan Warren has been broadcasting at 10 am and 10 pm est every day along with a bunch of other streams by Dave Rapoza and Miles & Sam (I think hannes might start soon too). It's super inspiring and a great way to work I think, if you haven't checked them out before I'd highly recommend it!

Twitter's the best way to get updates
    http://twitter.com/#!/danielwarren86
    http://twitter.com/#!/DaveRapoza
    http://twitter.com/#!/MilesJohnston

Good luck man.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,690 Times in 2,426 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Better safe than sorry.
    That looks brutal.

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

27. The Following User Says Thank You to LtPlissken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know how burnout can really be a drag. Don't let it consume you though. In my experience, if I find myself burned out I give myself a forced leave with an exact date to start back up again. That way it doesn't slide off into months. One piece of wisdom that was passed on to me was this, " Amateur's look for inspiration, professionals get up and go to work." It was harsh at the time it was given, but it's right.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to {CKL} For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ive havent been getting much done either. too much monster hunter D:

heres to us both getting our asses back in gear! ill start posting again, you better too!

lets get goooooood!!!! rawr!!!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Andrew is currently out of business due to being a man and finishing up his classes.
    He also does this do avoid me going home to him and stab him with hot needles in private places.
    He will be back shortly.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Aksel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lain: Thanks!

eekolite: Oh thanks! I'll check those out. Haven't watched any daggers in ages.

LtPlissken: Haha yeah!

CKLamb: Yeah I think I can get back on track now that I am done school. Gotta just put my nose to the grindstone now.

lancer: GOGOGOGOGO!

Aksel: Yeah man, done with school. Thanks for the push.

Alright, so thanks for all the support guys. Here is finally a bit of an update. Just some old lifedrawings (like a month old), some new lifedrawings (last night), some sketchbook maste rcopies, a Rembrandt copy in oils, and a couple digital pieces. First digi is a doodle I did last night from mind (although I glimpsed at a toy dinosaur a bit), and next is a studydome I did in an hour with Bapsi.

Anyhow, I wasn't able to do any digitals for a while since my hard drive crashed and it took over a week to get my computer back. But now that it is back and I am done school, I should get back into the groove of things. Expect more updates soon.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good job on the life drawings

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

36. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, boah. You wrecking.
    And that models hair is hot.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Aksel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice figure work!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalibor Dejanović For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    YES!!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Its been a while since I've popped in here, doing good man!

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Konstad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey nice to see your back, start wrecking it!

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Eh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

48. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya Andrew- Are you telling me all your work here is during HIgh School with no art school time ? I think you are doing fabulously well and - getting great artist/teachers in front of you will only push things forward at a faster pace. It's not clear to me exactly which works are master copies and which are from life but still - you are really getting to see for sure!

I have been studying pretty much full time for about 4 years ( drawing) and 3 years ( painting).. and you are doing things that are so good! the only things I see that would, humbly perhaps add to your current tool set are about developing the longer, rhythmic shapes in your figures and heads ( spend some time looking at Glenn Orbik, Fred Fixler, Hope Railey ( here on CA ) and AztecFireflower ( here as well on CA) - you will see how much design thinking is going into their shapes! I saw the Tony Ryder drawing you did - Tony is also one of my teachers and I am a huge fan of his work - another amazing draftsman and painter. If you have particular questions - feel free to send me a pm, and keep up the great work!

50. The Following User Says Thank You to kevinwueste For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

52. The Following User Says Thank You to Ludic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow. I am thoroughly impressed and inspired
    Just, such amazing work.
    I need to go draw now.

54. The Following User Says Thank You to Zephyrion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    andrew,

im gonna kick your butt. that is all.

-lance

*edit*: post or ill kill you.

Last edited by lancer_idenoure; July 14th, 2011 at 12:02 AM.

56. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 194