Sketchbook: Andrew Sonea -04/1/2014 - Page 14

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    karantine: Thanks...but I'm far from master D:

Ryan: Thanks! Good points!

Lain: Yeah...I am so lazy though. I need to start exercising again.

Okay, update on the Mega Man redesign and a quick photostudy trying to get skin texture (although I started losing form a bit).

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    duuuude this last update is tits! and tits are awesome! your edges are much better and that helps things read sooo much better. you might be unhappy with the megaman but its a great improvement in that respect. oh and with oils, ryan is right. you need to put a lot more though into what youre doing before you do it, you cant be as "experimental" as you can with digitals. lookin good though.

keep pushin it man, youre doin great!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Megaman's pretty solid looking.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jovian M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    lancer: Thanks man! I appreciate it. And yeah, I'll slow down in oils next time (although not sure when I'll next bust them out!).

Jovian: Thank you!

Just another little value study/skin texture study from a photo. Trying to get it more photorealistic, but without spending too long on it. I realized I should paint on a bigger canvas...this is 100% zoom here (and I was zoomed out a bit while working on most of it 0_0).

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    I love megaman's material rendering, particularly his clothes. Great photostudies as well. A bigger canvas will definitely let you get in there with detail.

Keep it up man!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hahaha we are the same person. i just started using bigger canvases about a month ago! (love the hair on that last one)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Megaman is looking goddamn awesome, you've got the material just right, and great lighting too.

Thumbs up good sir.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Choob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    try this with a charcoal pencil (brand-wise conté>general's>derwent imo, haven't gotten the chance to try wolff yet) for life drawing on 18"x24" newsprint
    http://kevinoneill.iseenothing.com/W...attsPencil.jpg
    pretty standard constructive approach tools (as opposed to graphite + strathmore 500 and alike)
    these tools really help with the constructive approach

16. The Following User Says Thank You to xinranliu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 577 Posts
    that Megaman rocks dude!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Fetsch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'll answer you here, maybe someone else would also find this helpful.

When I draw from life I like to have my surface parallel to my subject (so perpendicular to my eyesight), vertical on a easel. I like to stand as well as it gives me more freedom of movement. Having your surface on the vertical also saves you a lot of 'travel' time between observing the model and your drawing. It makes quite a huge difference when you're trying to compare shapes and angles. The problem with drawing on a sketchbook on a table or on my lap when drawing from a model for me is that 1. it's too small to use a charcoal pencil properly 2. it's an awkward angle 3. it's uncomfortable 4. I can't easily stand back and look at it from a distance.

The advantage of a well-tapered charcoal pencil is that I can get dark values and block in large areas with the side very quickly, while still being able to achieve needle-sharp lines with the point. Great variation of line here. It's a bit of a hassle to slowly build up with graphite when you only have 10-15 minutes. I would recommend holding your pencil like a stick/knife. Much easier to use the side of the lead that way. I use the Paris Conté brand of Pierre Noire charcoal pencil (black pencil with a golden ring), it's the best I can find so far, B grade. General's Charcoal 2B pencils (orange pencil) are decent too, but not as smooth as the Conté brand. And there's also the Derwent charcoal pencil, I don't like this one. I've heard that the Wolff brand is amazing, but I haven't had the chance to try that one yet . Anyway, they work great on newsprint. But beware, these pencils are SUPER FRAGILE. I die a little inside every time I drop one. For erasing I just use a kneader eraser + Tuff Stuff for darker lines.

As for the constructive approach:

You want to translate the figure into basic geometric polygons such as spheres, boxes and cylinders. The thought process is to see the model, find the anatomical landmarks (acromion processes, center line, iliac crest, etc.), simplify the shape and drawing it while being mindful of perspective and space. Don't try to start by copying the outline, e.g. try to find fit your simple box/egg into the outline of the rib cage. Don't feel constrained to draw exactly what you see, think of it as an analysis and not a copy of the model. Enhance form by exaggerating anatomy and exaggerate the gesture too. Be mindful of proportions too as you draw the polygons. For this early block-in stage, I recommend using the side of the well-tapered charcoal pencil as it's easy to erase. Then I just sorta refine it, I don't really work in a structured way from here haha. I keep on constructing the different parts, maybe reinforce a couple of lines here and there. You can draw out the terminators and quickly block in the shadow too.

Of course, there's always a bit of optical in construction and vice versa. So don't hesitate to use comparative measurement and stuff.

What was hard for me at first was getting used to holding my pencil like a knife and working standing up in front of an easel (my arm still hurts sometimes). Also getting used to drawing big and not messing up the proportions. The only thing was to actually learn how to construct everything. There are a lot of methods out there so here's what I found helpful: Michael Hampton, Vilppu, anything from the Watt's Atelier (check out Erik Gist and Stan Prokopenko), KChen, Ron Lemen, Hogarth (I used to wonder why it was so hard to study him optically haha), Bammes.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xinranliu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The last three images are amazing. Are you setting yourself a time-limit? I'm trying to do some quick life studies as well, 15-20 mins tops each, but with less than spectacular results. I'd love to know your method of tackling those.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PLeon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Xin: Great post thank you

~~~

Supurb updates, your going to kill it at Sheridan >_<

Thanks for the suggestion in my sketchbook ill be doing that. I think doing EM Gist's way of studying will be helpful to me since I have much problems with rendering, double double trouble when from imagination!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Eh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    eekolite: Thanks man!

lancer: Creepy haha...although I already discovered that Aksel (Nyctalgia) is my doppelganger. I CAN'T BE THE SAME AS TWO OTHERS CAN I???

Droid: Why thank you!

Festch: Thanks!

Xin: Thanks so much for all the info! I sharpened a charcoal pencil, gonna do some studies tomorrow probably practicing this all out.

PLeon: Thank you! I answered in your sketchbook.

Lain: Thanks!

Okay, so I am really excited to try out all of what Xin has been suggesting (thanks again!). The lifedrawings here are like the exact opposite of what he is saying, but in my defense I did them a few days ago, so before he posted all that great info. The first long pose there was done in ink, then after teh pose ended I did the pencil from imagination/memory.

Also, a cloud study...very fun and relaxing. I think I will do more.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    nice ink lines! they would go very well as accents in your next batch of constructive figure drawings
    and for clouds it's a lot easier to get those intricate soft edges if you make a brush based on a picture of clouds (edit: oh I think that's what you're doing lol)

28. The Following User Says Thank You to xinranliu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Xin: Thanks! And about the clouds, I used a mixture of textured brushes, then went over it with textured smudge tool, then repeated that a few times until it looked how I wanted. I've never made a brush myself to be honest. I use mostly basic round for my stuff, only recently experimenting with textured brushes, and now I mostly use them as a last step going over what I have done with the basic round. For what I am doing I find other people's brushes I have downloaded do just fine.

In honour of keeping this updated more regularly here are a couple more photo studies. I did some charcoal stuff I will have to photograph at some point, although the results were pretty mediocre. The medium has lots of potential though, I just find it really awkward for now.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    nice nice nice awesome anatomy studies
    keep it up

Blog

DStraX

julrholm@gmail.com

31. The Following User Says Thank You to julianR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey andrew, you have some awesome work happening here. thanks so much for that paintover, that was really helpful!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to jbrown67 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    youre takin some influence from hannes too i see. i think Nyctalgia and i are gonna have to fight pretty soon if this keeps up haha lookin good.
    those cloud studies are great, but it looks like youre using the same blue with different value and saturation. throw in some hue change too. dip the blue down into purple and over to greenish blue in some areas. this is kinda tricky cuz its so subtle, and ive found you cant keep the saturation the same when you change the hue or itll look weird. and that kinda goes both ways. you gotta play with it a bit till you get a grasp on it, but once you do it adds a lot of depth. im sure youll get a hold of it good luck!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Andrew nice updates, I really like this last photo study and the sky and clouds.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Julian: Thanks!

Jeff: Thank you! And no problem on the paintover, glad it could help

Lancer: Thanks! Hannes is definitely one of my top heroes--SOOOOOO much respect for the guy. And I'll try to have more hue changes going on. I do have a little in the sky there, but I can definitely push it more.

Marian: Thanks!

So the following are my first experiments with charcoal in a couple years. I used to HATE HATE HATE it, but now am seeing a lot of potential in it. I actually found these very fun to do, but certainly can use more practice getting used to it. I find it to be like a mixture of drawing and painting, that is, you can do a more tonal or value based approach while still drawing. I sharpened the charcoal pencil like in the link that Xin posted on this page, and am using a 2b made by conte for those interested. They are all on 18x24 newsprint, although I do not have it on an easel--I just propped it sorta on my lap/desk so it was at a 45 degree angle or so. The red ones are done in sanguine.

First is a photo study, then a Fechin copy, and the rest are all copies of Jaime Jones (he's such a god).

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xinranliu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 908 Posts
    just getting better and better

43. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Please do keep updating daily if you can muster it Awesome lifedrawing in the last update.

I should mess around with textured brushes a bit more I think. Lately I've just started messing around with the chalk brush and a softer round brush...

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Eh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Xin: Thanks! I owe it to you haha!

Britney: Thanks!

Lain: Thank you! I can't keep this updated that often I'm afraid...I simply haven't been drawing enough lately.

Sorry for not much to show, but I haven't been productive. I also had a few things come up such as my girlfriend's birthday and a fever, but it is still no excuse. I read over 400 chapter of Dragon Ball this weekend...what a waste of time. But Goku sure is awesome .

Just dropping off a self portrait. Fiddled with it a fair bit, and I think I finally got the likeness fairly close. Also it has been rainy so no chance to photograph the charcoals I have been doing (although yet again, very little to show in that regard--I even missed life drawing because of my fever).

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,457 Posts
    this is like poetry or something
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1304741036
    superb

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Man, you're doing really well. Love the charcoal.

Your new SP is great, I love that you're keeping most of it low key. I think that you could effectively use some brighter highlights though now. I think getting a small portion into a higher key range would really make it pop.

Keep going man!

50. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    nice self portrait! haha you look kinda like me O_O haha your eyes anyway...and your nose...and ears.....and kinda your hair................woah!

ok, sorry Nyctalgia, but andrew and i are now officially the same person.

Last edited by lancer_idenoure; May 16th, 2011 at 04:19 AM.

52. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hope you feel better soon and your gf's bday is great!

Somedays I simply just have not had anything to show either hah. Omg 2 summers ago I read every chapter of Dragon Ball then Dragon Ball Z up until Freiza was killed. It was really wierd actually, in my dream tonight Vegeta was my uncle o_O It's awesome! But wierd becuase I've had nothing to do with Dragonball in a long time...

I was fighting bird like humonoid aliens and learning how to live in the wild.

54. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Eh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Andrew well done with your charcoal drawings they are looking good. I have no doubt that it won't take too long for you to really get to grips with it. The last self portrait looks a quite dark on my monitor but you can see yet again how much you are improving.

56. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Velocity: Thanks so much! I think that was my favourite gesture I have done in a long time, so glad someone else can see it too!

eekolite: Thanks! I painted it pretty close to real life--it was a very dark and rainy day, and I was only using natural light. But you are totally right that I could have put in some lighter values in a few places.

lancer: AUGH WE ARE THE SAME!!!!

Lain: Thanks! I'm feeling better now, and my girlfriend's birthday went well. I'm looking forward to the party she is having this Saturday . As of writing my last post I read until the end of Cell, although I have now finished the entire series. It really is a great world and storyline.

Marian: Thank you! Charcoal stuff is fun, but very different. And the self portrait apparently looks too dark on every monitor but mine it seems. I may need to calibrate my monitor?

I had a lot of fun tonight at life drawing with the charcoal pencils and the large newsprint. Unfortunately, I still have to wait to photograph it all since it has been rainy lately and terrible lighting. But I have a bunch of stuff to show from that.

Okay, tiny update again, but whatever. I have installed an extension on my browser limiting my daily time allowed on conceptart.org and on reddit.com so I should be more productive now. First up is a half finished drapery study I am stopping working on, and then a quick sketch for IDOW--a ship with the top made of solar panels. I've never done anything like this before (either a ship or using a perspective grid) so it is probably off in a lot of places and really weird. Also, anybody know how to put a shadow in perspective? I just eyeballed it...

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast