Sketchbook: Andrew Sonea -04/1/2014 - Page 13

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 910 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    CONGRATULATIONS HOLY SHITTTTTTt

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 747 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Marlee: Thanks so much!

eekolite: Added you to msn, but haven't seen you on yet. Not sure if it is because of difference in time zones or what (might be my msn, sometimes when I add people it doesn't work for some reason--I use andrew_sonea@hotmail.com). My figure drawings are done in my sketchbook, which is 11x14 inches I believe.

Aragah: Thanks!

Mark Tarrisse: Thank you! Means a lot from you!

adamsimons: Thanks!

Bruce: Thank you! I do the memory studies to help retain the information I gain from the study. Without applying it you forget quickly. Also, it gets me painting without reference in front of me, so is good practice for that as well.

Jasper: Thanks!

NiaLain: Thanks!

skMOP: Thank you! As for scholarships...uh, no. I didn't apply for any since I haven't bothered with school at all and grades (not handing things in means high marks are impossible).

Arenyth: Thanks, I love hearing specific things you like!

lancer: Thank you! Also, I look like that probably because I am half Asian. Half Japanese half Romanian.

Britney: THANKSSSSS!!!

Liffey: Thanks! I don't do enough pencils these days...only life drawing.

Such a big response from you guys...it makes me feel bad for a lame update now considering it's been two weeks since my last one. Just various half-assed studies and CHOW for this week, along with a reworked old ninja piece.

Attached Images Attached Images                                          
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    youre getting reeaaal good man! nice colors on that chow piece; and those lines! great stuff. would be cool to see a big, juicy finished illustration from you soon.

and haha i tought so. im a halfy too, chinese and white(german)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn man, super crazy solid stuff. The lighting on that red rocks environment is crazy, bust is insane, chow is awesome and a great idea. I think your edges are getting really great and really showing the form. I'd give some better comments but I'm really pressed for time right now.

I accepted your friend request on MSN today, you've got the right name I have just been so busy that I haven't gotten on. Hopefully I will soon!

Keep it up man, this stuff is really rad.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 577 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    very good studies man. Keep it up!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fetsch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 714 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wow, great artwork. The last batch is awesome! this samurai fight is real solid

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ricardo Robles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lancer: Thanks! Cool to see another half Asian . And I will see about more illustrations soon. Starting on environments a bit.

eekolite: Thank you, but you are too kind! I don't deserve all this praise!

Fetsch: Thanks! I will.

Ricardo: Thank you so much! I think it is definitely one of my best.

So I should get into the habit of more often and smaller updates rather than bigger ones on a weekly basis. To start off, a couple studies after James Paick. That man is so good with values. These all look horrible, but I felt I was learning while doing them, so I guess it balances out. I'll be doing more studies of him I think, then will eventually try applying it.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey andrew!! the chow from sunday's update is really well done, colorscheme works great. Nice job with the values and contrast in the cast study as well as the ninja piece! I like how you've got the gradient following the ninja's path, looks really pro. My only advice is to watch for the three X's created by the men's swords; in most cases such obvious X's in a painting end up detracting from the focal point and skewing the composition a bit. They kind of lead into each other and create a dead end.

Love the idea of more frequent updates, too!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlee. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marlee: Thanks for the crits! Yeah updating more even though it is all shit D:

GOOD NEWS: Looks like I will win the CHOW I posted at the top of this page. Not bad considering it is my first entry, and I am still a little highschool kid.

BAD NEWS: All my paintings since suck, and I have been unproductive.

GOOD NEWS: I finally got my prize from Last Teen Standing--I got every single video from Massive Black for free. Holy shit. Worth the extra few months wait.

BAD NEWS: I still suck. Watched Whit Brachna's part 1 of environment speedpainting and am trying to use textured brushes and it feels like drawing with a crayon the size of my fist. WHY IS HE SO GOOD AND WHY CAN'T I PAINT?

Environments are killing me. I feel so lost and inept with them...anyhow, a Paick study, a piece from imagination in which I fucked up values and a shit colour study.

My apologies for my self deprecation. I'm not even in a bad mood, I just am realizing I am not at the level I thought I was. It's like every time I think I am getting good, I realize I am actually really not. Not at all. It doesn't help Algenpfleger updated his blog today (http://algenpfleger.blogspot.com/201...i-go-back.html). He is getting too good, and makes me feel so lazy and amateur.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool studies, do more!!! Less self deprecation and more draw! Ack for shame, I don't think I've ever seen James Paick's work >____<'' Keep working on the enviroments.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Eh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really excellent studies! Keep them up!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to angriufos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha its funny, i feel like we have similar styles in that we both need to work on the same things. im seeing a problem ive been having in youre last few studies: separation of values. youre blending the edges of different planes becaue youre being timid of using contrast. get in there and put hard ass edges! put pure black next to white! even if it looks like shit at first, get used to being confident with your values and youll learn to control them much better. it can be confusing, especially if its an area you dont want to draw focus to, youre like "oh, soft edges=no focus; hard edges=bad shit!" when really, if you have very hard edges with close values, they stand out very little yet give a great definition of form. just look at paick's work and some of hannes' new stuff. anyway, youve been improving pretty quickly, so im sure youll figure it out. good luck!

(ps im kinda drunk, so sorry if this is a little rantish haha)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lain: Thanks! No promises on the self deprecation, but I will try to draw more.

angriufos: Thank you!

lancer: Thanks a lot for that info on edges! I still haven't got them entirely figured out yet.

So still struggling with enviros...I am a little angry that Photoshop Elements doesn't appear to have masks (unless I am just dumb and can't find them), which means a lot of what Whit is doing in his vids I can't try out. Transparency lock is a really powerful tool though.

Photostudy, crap imagination scribble (was gonna be for EOW, but I will throw this one in the trash), and a very quick little master copy after some Russian with a long name I don't wanna type out. Oh, and life drawings from Wednesday, was experimenting a bit with some mixed results.

Anyhoo, that's all for today I think since I am off to a party tonight. Tomorrow I will try to get in a full day of art and be super productive (maybe even break out the oil paints?).

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (It's a Twilight party)

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Aksel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    slow down and define each shape, using mainly the lasso tool and some painty paint i defined some shapes in this
    Name:  andrew PO.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  180.1 KB
    i hope you don't mind, it's quite easy to do, at least if you start in just lassoing (even after a sketch or something)
    hope this helped a bit - if not talk to me on msn

laters

30. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 910 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You handle form beautifully in those last couple of posts but let's face it, it's sort of easy to sometimes O:
    It's not like you really have a say in who you get do draw in your figure sessions but I'd like to see how you handle the more lean or gaunt figures |D

32. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aksel: LIES! We were assigned secret identities and mine happened to be from Twilight, but I was the only one. NOT a Twilight party

Ryan: Oh thanks! I see what you mean I think. It doesn't read as well without well defined shapes.

Britney: Yeah the models are almost always young good looking girls. I really should try to mix it up though on my own (although looking at my ref folders all my pics are the same body type too!)

So tiny update now. I did a couple oil paintings today (boy is it hard! NO CONTROL), but I have to photograph them still. It will probably be on Monday since I am out of town tomorrow.

All I have to show now is an unfinished little study trying out the technique Brad Rigney (Cryptcrawler) uses, since I watched the first part of his download today. It consists of laying down some values quickly, then fiddling around with the smudge tool forever. Gotta say, this took like three times as long at least as my normal process, is harder to control, destroys all edges, and looks bad. I think I learned a bit about the smudge tool, and will be using it in the future for very soft transitions or fixing shapes a bit, but certainly won't use it to the extent Brad does. Frankly I don't see why he doesn't just use soft edged brushes instead.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy shit man, you won Chow and Teen Challenge? Insane, but I think you deserve it. All those videos....dang.

Just keep at the environments, I think you've just had less intense focus on learning and constructing them. It'll come. I need to do the same.

I think this thing (attachment) by marc dalessio sort of explains how we perceive our skill vs. how good we actually are. It doesn't mean you suck man, just that you're moving into a new phase! It means you've recently leveled up and now see the world in a whole new way again.

I've been fricken busy with finals converging and whatnot, but I'll give some crits and stuff soon! I like your smaller updates btw.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello
    I see that you mostly use an optical approach for your life drawings (get the shape), perhaps you should try a more contructive way (see Reilley method, Watts atelier, the Russians, KChen, Vilppu, Michael Hampton, Ron Lemen, etc.). I find that the constructive method is much better suited for the shorter poses (under 3 hours) and tend to be more beneficial for constructing the figure from imagination.
    Keep it up!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to xinranliu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    does it need some lensflarzz?

39. The Following User Says Thank You to hunchback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates, keep it rolling =)

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Eh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eekolite: Thanks for that pic man! I saw it once a long time ago, had forgotten about it. And I don't know if I deserve winning all these challenges, but thanks for the support (I am entering TC this week, and am not sure how well I will do based on some other things going down there).

xinranliu: Thanks for the advice! It is true that I look mostly for 2d relationships when life drawing. I tried out (with little success unfortunately) a more constructive approach at my latest life drawing, which I still need to photograph. They look terrible, but I think I did learn a bit from them. Gotta find a balance of learning and making them look good.

Michael: For me?! THANKS!

Lain: Thanks!

Okay, so weather has been shitty and I couldn't photograph anything (2 oils and some life drawings) since the light is terrible. Instead here is another weak update. An unfinished experiment using Brad Rigney's (Cryptcrawler's) technique with the smudge tool more. Also some WIPs for Teen Challenge in which I am redesigning Mega Man into a WWI version who is way more badass (I hope!). Not finished yet with it, got LOTS to do on it in terms of perspective, values, colour, rendering etc. Uhm, that's all I have for now D:

PS: I downloaded a bunch of my free vids at once, then excitedly tried to watch some only to find out none of them worked--they all said the .mov files in them were corrupted! Not sure what is up with that, but it kind of sucks for now. Was really looking forward to some.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy Wowzers, Mr. Sonea, your stuff is great!

44. The Following User Says Thank You to jacobanderson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like how you edited this photo, you should do more photo editing like this, pretty cool
    holy fuck that megamans dope

46. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy sh*t you've improved much! Daom. Keep it up, you!

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Ludic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jacobanderson: Thanks man! Also, it feels strange to be called Mr. Sonea...I'm still a kid

Ryan: Haha thanks! I have a long way to go before I can get any convincing photorealism though.

Ludic: Thank you!

Just throwing up some trad stuff from earlier in the week. Lifedrawing was a terrible session--I was trying a more constructive approach at the beginning and failing at it, while simultaneously literally falling asleep (I caught myself a few times drawing with my eyes shut for a while haha). I need to talk less on msn to people on the other side of the world as I end up sleeping at around like 2-3am each time.

The paintings are oil; apples from life and portrait from photo. They took maybe 1 hour and 1.5 hours respectively, give or take a bit. I really want to do more oils, but I feel like I have no control over the medium at all, and it is really frustrating. The portrait looks only okay because I am not posting the ref with it...it is surprisingly off, and I find oils aren't that forgiving (at least not as much as digital).

Gonna try to get another update tonight, need to do some studies today and will post the Mega Man when done (hopefully today?). The more I work on it the more I dislike it though, especially the head. I have to redo it AGAIN (for like the fourth or fifth time), because looking at it I still am not satisfied.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are being master...awesome...

51. The Following User Says Thank You to karantina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your oils are super cool man- dont get down!
    spend longer on them and go slower, think of it like your using ink and you think like 5 times before you put down every stroke [lol i should do that too]
    figure drawings are dope
    but i think you should experiment with different shit at life drawing! like crayons, charcoal, ink, pastels, chalk EVERYTHING! weeeee

53. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good Mr. Sonea. Hmmm I've done that before too, fall asleep during life drawing and draw with eyes closed, feels like such a waste when I'm actually that tired =/

Been working out for an hour each day for a few weeks I honestly can say I've been feeling a lot more alert lately.

55. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Eh For This Useful Post:

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook