Page 13 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    those screen caps are lookin nice man. just watch out for those edges; try sharpening some a little more. and for colors, mine werent so great until a while ago. what really helped me was photo duplications with full sunlight. so far all the ones youve done are diffuse light, which is much more subtle and hard to distinguish differences in hue and saturation. stick with some fully lit ones for a while and youll do just fine

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    looking legit man keep it up
    have a good one
    -Jamie

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamie Romoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,321 Posts
    real nice work! the screen and photo studies are particularly great!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ~KJK~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 748 Posts
    lancer_idenoure: THANK YOU SO MUCH! I did a study following your advice on direct sunlight and I definitely learned way more than from my other studies. Maybe one day I will get to understand colour after all.

OmertA: Thanks Jamie!

Parsakoira: Thank you!

Alrighty, here are a couple things. First a quick painting from my imagination (really restricted values, can't decide if I like it like this or not). I am actually somewhat pleased with the result, I have been doing MMA studies and a few after Ixius and I think they are paying off. Even though all the studies were done with only line I feel they helped my tonal stuff.

And second a 1 hour screencap study of Dexter (I love that show). I am too lazy now to photograph stuff and I mostly wanted to just quickly put up something so I don't have a brand new page with no art on it. I usually update at the end of the day, but I don't know how much art I can get done today. Got some stuff to do and am going to be partying all night yo! Or at least into the evening a bit. I am kind of lame.
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Looks good! You communicated the depth-blur well in the second image

I kind of like the restricted value range, it's mysterious and interesting! I think maybe his torso is too short though?

HAVE FUN PARTYING!! And I'm lame too. I go to bed with the kiddies. :B
    SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

"Only put off till tomorrow, what you are willing to die left undone." -Pablo Picasso

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwigarbage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    kiwigarbage: Thanks! I think you may be right about the torso. I find I am really bad with proportions when it comes to multi limbed things.

Here is a bunch of sketches I did. Most are from photos and some are copies of Ixius, and all the multi limbed ones are done from my imagination. I tried photographing them under artificial light just now (it is night) and then photoshopping them until they looked way better as the light was shit. They still look awful and I may need to photograph them again during the day at some point. The line quality doesn't really come across in them very well, but I am actually improving a lot with my lines.

Oh, and my daily screencap. It is really bad, and took about 50 minutes.
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    hey man, great work once again. Just a small crit, be careful that you don't sacrifice proportion when concentrating on getting the muscles right. The muscles look great just some of the general proportion looks wonky in some areas. But things are lookin real good anyway. The screen cap isn't bad, it great your tackling colour as well. Not easy, thats why im sticking to greyscale for now. Much respect. And Happy New Year!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to matty_mcmullen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    fuckin brilliant figures dude, i gotta do some like this. GREAT SHIT O_O
    and that screen from harry potter is real nice, just try more soft brush/bigger brushes on the face? looks rather, lots of strokey-ness
    keep at it dude, colors are gettin better and better!

oh and what's the point of the multi limbed studies? just curious D:

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    matty_mcmullen: Thanks for the crit! Yeah I need to focus on proportion more, especially on the multilimbs. And colour is my weakpoint so I am just going headfirst into it.

ryanoir: Thank you! The multi limbs are fun to do. Their benefits over other studies...it allows you to practice more limbs (duh) but also how they attach to the body, whereas if you do a sheet of limb studies they are sort of detached if you know what I mean. Like it works as a whole better and how everything is connected. Plus I find that it gets me trying out different angles on the limbs. If I just draw a regular figure from my imagination I tend to repeat the same sorts of poses, but with multilimbs I am forced to put in different angles on the arms/legs and say put in more foreshortening than I ordinarily would. And on top of all that I find they just look really cool.

Here is my screencrap (get it? haha, cuz it's crap) for today. ryanoir, matty_mcmullen and I will be updating a single thread now too dedicated just to screencap studies. You guys are free to join I believe. The rules are to try and do it daily (and in 1 hour) and to post the original so people can give critiques:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=203705

Mine from today was painted side by side so when I see it now placed above it looks like total shit as everything is misplaced or at a wrong angle (note to self, paint it with the original right above). And the colours aren't so hot either. Meh. If I do this everyday I am bound to eventually get something half decent.
    Attachment 1134098
    Attachment 1134097
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    COOL i like the samo sketches and the digital painting

keep it up

Qlotzan

18. The Following User Says Thank You to qlotzan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great update man, you are getting better at color. Believe it or not. 10 more GOGOGO!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jNeumann For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    what i did today, but totally failed the study so i'm not gonna post lol, was this:
    1. open original screen that you will study into photoshop
    2. blank it out in a midtone color or something
    3. command+control+c or uh, crtl+alt+c? iono, to alter the canvas size, then make it 200% width and 200% hight
    4. then copy and paste the original image directly above where you're gonna draw (the midtone rectangle)
    5. copy and paste the original image directly NEXT TO where your'r gonna draw
    you can use rulers and what not to get it absolutley in line, but this helps how see what things are in relation to what, etc.
    i already critiqued this in the thread! feel free to post your screens in here, i'll post mine in my sb too

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    amazing sb keep up

24. The Following User Says Thank You to CRYPT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,321 Posts
    looking great also looking forward for seeing more of your screen studies! keep up!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ~KJK~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Careful that you don't overemphasize angles in your screencap practices.

Take a look at your recent one again and you'll see what I mean.

Keep on goin!
    SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

"Only put off till tomorrow, what you are willing to die left undone." -Pablo Picasso

28. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwigarbage For This Useful Post:

Page 13 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast