Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Very nice studies man! The Sorolla studies are looking pretty slick, thanks for sharing and keep it up!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Konstad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    nice color and brush work there bro! keep at it, id like to seem more

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm impressed by your black and white studies/life drawings, you seem to have a good eye for values.. or rather the proper range of values, if that makes sense. Even if some of the studies are a bit rough, it still comes through, which shows that you're trying to nail it early on, so keep at it!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to refraction For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    really nice studies andrew, don't have much more to say other that to keep going...maybe try and do an image from your imagination every so often just to make sure everything is sticking

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 748 Posts
    Metal Fingers: Thank you, but the real credit should go to Sorolla. I am amazed with his stuff so much.

ryanoir: Thanks. Glad you like the brushwork as I was actually focusing on it there, trying to be all efficient-like.

refraction: Thanks--I try really hard to get values right as I think it is the most important part of a picture. Unfortunately my colour work is weak now, so I am trying to work in colour a bit more now (Sorolla study and photostudy today).

Howie: Thank you. You are totally right that I neglect drawing from my mind too much. I tend to go in weird cycles of too much from reference then too much from mind (but typically too much from ref). I can never find a good balance.

So this whole month I have done like nothing. It has been really pitiful actually. I had to do a bunch of non-art school stuff which kills the mind and tires me out, so all I have to show now is a little photostudy (I had to skip life drawing tonight for homework, and I am a little pissed). This Christmas break though I will be a study machine and be pumping out art like no tomorrow.

Anyways, I did the photostudy below in just over an hour in honour of my sketchbook turning a year old a couple days ago so that I could compare it to one of my first paintings in this thread. My verdict is I am now much faster and more efficient in digital painting (I even wasted a lot of time experimenting with a soft brush and did better), but not much else has improved. So this next year I need to work way harder for more improvement.
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    nice drawing and painting

keep it up

Qlotzan

13. The Following User Says Thank You to qlotzan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    confidence = a shit load improved
    great stuff dude!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well done Andrew you can really see how much you've improved over the year. Really hope you manage to get your art/life balance right for the coming one.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    qlotzan: Thank you.

ryanoir: Thanks, but yeah that goes in with efficiency.

Marian Rowling: Glad you can see improvement! I am going to try and do a lot more art next year.

Alright, just starting today to get into my studies this break (before I was sleeping and reading Harry Potter, but now I finished the series and am ready).

A few pencil studies of armour and stuffs. I'm trying to get better lines, but my drawings are turning out REALLY BAD. And I am trying to do this brushed graphite technique Ixius is doing (I am like super inspired by him lately--go check him out). I also tried out gouache for the first time today. I'll try to take photos of it tomorrow since it is too big for my scanner.
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Wow man, those brushed graphite drawings looks great for a first try!! The 2nd one especially, its got a nice atmospheric quality about it! Well done and keep going!!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jai Kamat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    this is awesome, keep going bro

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The brushed graphite work looks great, love the armor studies as well. You're lines are excellent, very loose but accurate. Keep up the good work.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jNeumann For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ixius: The man himself! Thanks for checking out my stuff, I really appreciate it! Definitely going to do more of the brushed graphite, and definitely going to keep an eye on you.

ryanoir: Thanks! It looks much better in real life too.

jNeumann: Thank you. I am actually not happy with my lines really, so I will keep working on them.

Okay, getting a little reference bound here, but I am having a ton of fun studying armour and line. I keep trying to get the lines in one go and with no real underlying drawing, so it is really tough, especially considering I think in terms of shapes and tones more than line. These are all fairly quick, the digital one took about 1.75 hours for the two give or take a bit. And the second armour with the fucked up perspective is from my mind (obviously).
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    Nice studies Andrew! I'm diggin the lines
    keep it up man
    have a good one
    -Jamie

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamie Romoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Unique stuff with all the armor studies. Really cool how in depth your taking it!

Great improvement over a year too, keep it up man.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to skMOP For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast