Sketchbook: Andrew Sonea -04/1/2014

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 747 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Andrew Sonea -04/1/2014

This first page is from 2009/2010 so skip ahead to the last page.

Hi,

My name is Andrew Sonea, and I live in Ottawa. Like seemingly everyone else, I lurked a while, but finally joined because I just got my tablet yesterday and now can actually post some work. I probably won't be able to update too often, maybe once a week or less, but will try to update when I can.

Below is my first real shot at digital painting, painted in Painter 11. It is a WIP copy (only a few hours in) of a self-portrait by Bernini; I am working from a photo of the painting in a book I own (the online pics of this painting all seem to be really off in terms of colour and value). The colours here are fairly close to what is in the book, but in conversion to jpeg it seems to have become more saturated and the darks are a little darker for some reason. For example, the background is far too green here.

I will update soonish with a more refined and finished version of this (I plan on rendering the hell out of it, softening edges, and getting the likeness better). I may also upload the process pics at some point. So far I have learned a ton (mostly about colour and the fact I need to improve my drawing skills, but a ton nonetheless).

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Andrew Sonea; June 3rd, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It pretty good, but something looks off with the nose it might be the shading or the angle but it looks to long, then again I don't know what you look like either. The lips should probly have a more seeable line between the upper and lowwer lip, but other then that it looks good

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiderlok33 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spiderlok33: Thanks for stopping by. First off, you must have misunderstood me. This is NOT my self-portrait, but rather a copy of Bernini's self-portrait. While I am only responding now, I read your comment a few days ago, and it really helped. Once I realized the nose was off, I found out the entire facial structure was wrong, and went about fixing and refining and fixing and refining. I am now quite happy with the end result.

Okay, so here is the final copy. Comments on it are welcome of course, but unless it is major I probably won't go about fixing it now. I also included a quick colour study from a photo I did tonight. I work too slowly, and put a time limit on myself to improve my speed. It proved very stressful and difficult, although I forgot exactly when I started so I do not know exactly how long it took (it was probably just over an hour).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're picking up digital painting pretty fast, good work. That portrait is very nice.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to drd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    drd: Thanks man. I'm really liking digital.

Alrighty. Here are a couple photostudies from today. Playing with oil pastels in Painter. First is one hour, the second is one-and-a-half hours.

And I know, everything I post is boring studies that you guys probably hate looking at. I promise a work from imagination sometime soon.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so here is a sneak peak at my next painting. All from imagination.

Oh, and I will be out of town for a few days, so I can't update for probably a week or so.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Managed to squeeze in one more quick bodybuilder study. 40 minutes.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay. So Christmas was good. Lots of food. And I got to see the Waterhouse exhibit in Montreal. The lighting I found to be pretty bad, it created a lot of glare, especially when you walked up close to the paintings. I managed to get some sketching done at the exhibit, but as I don't have a scanner you guys are out of luck for seeing them.

Here are two paintings I did. First is a self-portrait. The likeness is a little off (which is why I stopped working on it and didn't bother blending), and I don't look that angry usually, I just have a mean face when I concentrate. I'll probably do a whole bunch more self-portraits in the future.

Second painting is another photostudy in which I timed myself and stopped at one hour. I was trying out the round camelhair brush, which seems promising, but I don't like as much as the oil pastels for quick paintings. I tried varying the edges a little, but kinda messed up. I am fairly happy with how this one turned out; it is better than the photostudy I posted on Dec. 20, and I spent less time on it. I love being able to see improvement.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the good news is that now I have a scanner. The bad news is that it butchers my sketches. The subtleties are destroyed, the values are wrong (darks too light, light sometimes too dark etc.).

Anyhow, enough with excuses, here they are. The first is a study of horse anatomy. I won't bother scanning all my studies, but it is just to show the sort of thing I am doing. I got Cyclopedia Anatomicae for Christmas, so I will be doing lots of anatomy studies in the coming months.

The second is a study I did in Montreal at the Waterhouse exhibit. Never really drew in a museum before, so they mostly turned out bad. This is one of the better ones.

Lastly is an older sketch (a month or so ago) from my imagination, but I think it is okay, so am posting it. Oh, and speaking of imagination work, I won't be finishing the painting I posted a sketch of earlier in this thread. It was proving too troublesome, and I need to do more studies.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bah. One of my new year resolutions is to make a kickass illustration portfolio for Sheridan. I am kind of panicking now, realizing I only have one year to bring my skills up to a half-decent level to get in (and finding out they don't like digital). Anyhow, I decided that I will start attacking my weaknesses. Here is a 40 minute study after Cole, because I suck at landscapes. Hands are next, and I am afraid.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your studies with Painter, they're very good! Even if you don't smooth them, the brush strokes give them some charisma
    I like very much your centaur archer, but seems to me that the horse's torso is a bit too small, compared with both the human part and the back part of it.

The first portrait is very damn good, you did a great job on it!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Saska Ithiur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saska Ithiur: Thanks. I think you are right about the centaur.

Good god, it's been two weeks since my last update. I'll try and update once per week (at least) from now on. I just had a really busy past couple weeks, not leaving much time at all for art. Waterpolo is starting up again after the Christmas break, and is taking up a good maybe thirteen hours per week (when travel time included). School was also busy as the semester ended, but now that I have finished the last major projects I only have a little studying for upcoming exams, so I should have more time now. Anyhow, enough with excuses, here is the very meager amount I have to offer.

As I mentioned last time, hands are a weakness, so I am slowly tackling them (Bridgman studies). I also have some head construction studies after Chris Sears and Kevin Chen. There is also a self-portrait that is pretty bad. The lighting disappeared as soon as I finished the lines, so the rendering is from memory of what it was like (although I got tired of it and stopped). The likeness is off, and the iris is huge for some reason. Lastly, a few pics from my highschool art show that was last week. These are just some teasers, I'll try and get some scans of them soon.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, some updates. First are some sketches of birds from photo, analyzing their forms and breaking down feather arrangements. Haven't really drawn birds since I was really young (used to be all I drew as a child). House Sparrow Passer domesticus, House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus and Evening Grosbeak Coccothraustes vespertinus.

Next, some hands after Bridgman.

There would be some more, but the attachment manager is going all screwy and not uploading them. And my computer has been acting up lately, which is why there hasn't been digital stuff. I will try and get some done soon though.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow your digital painting studies are awesome! You're really good at rendering light and your pencil work is freakin' sick too, especially the birds. So you're trying to get into Sheridan's illustration program? I'm trying to get into their animation program now and from what I heard/saw as long as you follow the rules carefully (like no digital stuff or anime) and you are competent with perspective, proportion, structure, line quality, composition, etc you'll be fine. Of course animation is a lot different, so in illustration you will probably have to be really good at rendering and painting traditionally. Drawing from life is important too! I heard from an instructor they don't like photo referenced drawings and they can tell when it is photo referenced, so just to give you a heads up if you didn't know.

Anyways good luck and if you have a year to make a portfolio, don't stress because you're already doing great and by then you'll have a kick ass portfolio if you keep it up.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to RickyS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    RickyS: Thanks. I guess I'll try and do more work form life if that's what they look for.

Anyway, this update has no new art, just stuff that I couldn't upload earlier as the attachment manager wasn't working. It is all stuff done from my imagination from this past semester. A scratchboard and two silkscreen prints.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alrighty. I finally got to do some digitals again. Felt a little rusty, but it was fun. I tried out using textured papers in Painter. First is a crappy self-portrait and the second is a photo study of the lovely mandarin duck (about 45 minutes, but not entirely sure). And some hands after Bridgman.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really good art here.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to floydshayvious For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    floydshavious: Thanks.

Patchow. No school today, as I finished my exams. Got to do a couple studies.

First is a bodybuilder one. It took a fair bit longer for some reason than my previous bodybuilder studies, and I am still not completely satisfied with it.

Next are a bunch of quick (about ten minutes give or take a few) landscape studies from photos.

And finally, yes--a work from my imagination. I need to do more from my imagination. It's been about a month since I drew something without reference. I tried to go for a fighter who is at the end of his career. I realize that his nose is huge, but I like drawing big noses, so there!

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 890 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Very good studies!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to mike butkus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mike Butkus: Thank you very much. It means a lot coming from you.

So today I went to the National Gallery for a good four hours. And I came to a realization--I have some serious catching up to do. I guess I'll try and put in more hours now to art.

Anyhow, today for some reason I felt really loose, and my sketches were very, well, loose. I usually draw in a fairly precise and stiff manner, so this is a somewhat welcome event. I do, however, find it difficult to stay on the right side of the line between loose and just plain inaccurate crud.

So. The few pages of Bridgman hands that are becoming regular (one day I will master drawing the hand!). And two studies after my good friend Michelangelo.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here are a couple drawings from today. I will be out of town for a few days, so no updates until next week.

First two sketches are from my imagination. The second was inspired by Achadobu (but still completely my own sketch), and the third sketch is actually a terrible copy of one of Achadobu's sketches. Man, I really need to study anatomy more.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 5,524 Times in 3,718 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice pencil work. I like the centaur especially.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Black Spot: Thanks. Centaurs are fun.

Okay, so been super busy this past week. The ONLY art I had time to do was this one little study. I am not even completely satisfied with it, but at least I am beginning to grasp the beginnings digital painting. It is from a photo of some Roman portrait bust thing.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ugh. I am tired. Anyhow, here is a speedpaint (from imagination). I need to do more paintings from my imagination like this--it is the only way I am going to improve. I watched Avatar today (again), and decided to do some sort of fan-art. Here is the crappy result. Looking at it now, I realize I need to work on my composition, colour, value organization and edges. Damn. Well, good night.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right. So the first one here is a page from imagination. God damn, I cannot draw women. Especially faces. I tried like four times on the face at the bottom before it stopped looking masculine.

Second are a few drawings of my left hand (the drawing on the right-hand side was done with ballpoint).

Last one I drew a few faces from my imagination. I first drew random scribbles with my eyes shut, and then went in and erased until I was left with just the outline. I then tried to fit a face into the shape, and modified the outline only slightly, and added shoulders. Trying to get more original and different types of characters.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I went to lifedrawing today for the first time in three months. It went pretty well. Unfortunately, the drawings are too big for my scanner, so you guys don't see anything for now (I may or may not get around to photographing them).

Anyhow, the lifedrawing took up most of my evening, so I only have this one drawing to show. I drew from some photos of a sculpture by ROOSTERCAT. Check him out in the sculpture section. Amazing artist, who I will definitely do more dino studies from.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's not that you can't draw women, it's just that you can't draw sexy women yet. That'll come, but I sort of like yours as they seem grounded in reality and not fantasy.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Black Spot: I'm glad you like them. But I just wish I could draw somewhat realistic women AND those sexy fantasy ones.

First up are those lifedrawings from last week. Photographed them today, but lighting wasn't the greatest so I did a fair bit of adjusting and now they are close-ish to reality but the values are still a little off. A twenty minute pose and three thirty minute poses. I am quite happy with the second thirty minutes pose, and semi-content with all the others (except the first thirty minute pose--her face, oh god, her face!).

Next is a couple more ROOSTERCAT studies. Fun stuff.

Last is a WIP painting from my imagination. Trying some sort of super-powered guy. I am running into lots of problems with his torso, as it is being lit from both above and underneath at the same time. So I may end up not finishing it.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay so a kind of lame update tonight. I am out of town for a little while, and won't have any time for art, so my next update will likely also be sparse.

First off, I bought Photoshop Elements. Tried painting with it tonight, and it was REALLY REALLY hard compared to Painter. I will try a few more paintings in it, but will likely just use it for finishing touches on pieces in Painter. So the first painting here is a copy of a Phil Hale painting, and is not entirely finished, but finished enough to stand on its own at least for now. It was done entirely in Photoshop.

The second one is a very early WIP done in Painter (not even 45 minutes in). It is a study of a photo of a sculpture by Swanson. I haven't decided whether to try painting it with a limited value range, or to use the full value range (the photo does actually have really good lighting, so I may do that).

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That torso - try to imagine a skeleton underneath all those muscles and you'll see where's it is wrong.

I like your last WIP - it shows promise and you should try to push it as far as you can. As to tools to use, I use Serif's PhotoPlusX2 which is pretty cheap as X4 is nearly ready to come out, and it's easy to use, but doesn't have all the bells and whistles of PhotoShop.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook