Divide - Help me develop!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Divide - Help me develop!

I started this picture last night and despite the fact that I don't really have any clue where I want to take it, I like the idea of it and I'd love to work it out further. It's basically my first serious attempt at painting an environment and if anyone can help me with taking this currently rather crappy piece of work up to a semi-professional level I'd be forever grateful.

Things I need help with are the colours, composition and scale (I want it to look huge, but I'm not sure how to do that).

I thought of tilting the horizon, but I'm not sure if that'll do it any good. I'm also thinking of cutting a large part of the middle section away and placing the top down. I feel like there's too much uninteresting space in the picture, but perhaps I could somehow put it to good use?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know much, but I know this. To make it seem huge you want to bring the viewpoint further down. This means that the chasm will be closer to the viewpoint and that it should just about fill the bottom of the picture. What you can also do is scale it. Add humans, buildings, trees, anything with a sort of fixed size.
    One thing that bothers me is the waterfalls. They have to have been rivers, but I can't see their respective riverbeds. It's also a relatively flat area so there shouldn't be so many rivers as opposed to just one big river. If you make one big river, you can also place trees beside that river, some humans, a small village perhaps.

Just my two cents.

WEEEEEE

Sketchbook

Quote Originally Posted by KILLA-CAT
    It's not supposed to look like a cat because it's actually it's a giraffe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im liking the epic scale. Id have to agree on the empty space above. you could cut the top off and maybe add a bunch of bridges in the divide. maybe huts that cling to the edges. also to help to show how huge the divide is you could add a cliff edge really close with a tree or a guy. im not a proffesional but theres some ideas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a question. Is the divide forming in the picture or has it already formed and is in a standstill?

WEEEEEE

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As far as color goes, you should consider adding some warm colors. Right now every color is cool... some warm spots strategically placed where you want the viewer to look will help this picture out I think.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Bullsey: The chasm has already formed countless of years ago, at least that's how I imagine it . I agree on the waterfalls, they don't look very convincing but then it was more a tryout than anything. I'll play with the idea of bringing the viewpoint down, I think that'll help with making the chasm look huge, as well as it'll give me the opportunity to bring some details close up for the scale.

phantasma: Thank you very much for your input! The idea of some kind of settlement really appeals to me and it'll also be a nice excuse to add in some warmer colours as Liffey suggested.

Thanks again for your response guys, I'll keep you updated !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another idea, why not make the two sides entirely different from each other? You could have two separate settlements that have unique features, and then a tiny ropebridge across. It could tell a better story than just a big crack in the ground.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd love to see sharper details on the current, more detailed parts (mid-foreground) the rest your can keep out of focus. (Just pretend your eye is a camera)

Scale - try desaturating the horizon, perhaps add a small cloud or two, and
    I'm biased for small gliders, so you could have one meandering this piece.

This also looks like a fun piece to play/study sunlight. Try and further challenge yourself
    to do a scene where the sunlight hitting clouds has shadows and saturated grass lands beaming.

The feel at the moment is of a National Geographic photograph. Sweet.
    off suggestion: Can you draw Britney Spears prowling the grassland, like a cheetah, lol.
    I like it very much Lhune. Keep up the studies and hard work.

-Your 5bz19c.jpg in your sb is so clean and crisp, I can never get my lines like those.
    -And your sb, post 17. That bird. Sweet as.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's pretty sweet so far. The color scheme looks good, especially at the foreground.

I would say the foreground could be a little bit sharper. I know the background should be out of focus but it probably tighten it up just a little.

As for the scale, I think someone mentioned adding trees, this would definitely be of help.
    A trick to imparting a good sense of scale is to put objects in the scene that are very familiar to us, so some trees might be do the trick here.
    Having some trees bending out over the cliff might be pretty epic, too.

Last thing, the sky should be more saturated with blue, it's quite gray right now which doesn't really work with the other saturated colors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot Wolfwhistle View Post
    Here's another idea, why not make the two sides entirely different from each other? You could have two separate settlements that have unique features, and then a tiny ropebridge across. It could tell a better story than just a big crack in the ground.
    This. Also you can try to make it seem that they are at war. After years of disagreement.

WEEEEEE

Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.