Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,346 Times in 2,870 Posts

The risk that these may come to an end

It takes a lot of pride swallowing to ask for help here. We are at a point in the streaming and download educational program where we must begin to ponder how things go from now on. Soon we start our school but with such low support of the streaming and download videos we are faced with the reality that this low priced and high quality content is reaching it's end.

We finally have excellent teaching technology, and have continued to surprise with stellar faculty choices for this art program. I know there are many who wish to come but have no ability to do so.

With little support of these videos and this excellent content, there cannot be more released.

That is the reality of it.

Best,

Jason

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    wow... I really though people were throwing themselves over these classes? Do you guys have numbers of how many are actually participating and such?

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, itís a very cheesy response but itís true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -BjÝrn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Jason, if I could pick up a class, I most definitely would, but it's nearly Christmas, and even if I had $90, I just couldn't justify spending it on myself right now, much though I do want to.

Is there any chance that we could maybe have, say, a month's warning of when each class is coming up? Something like that might let the poorer of us save our pennies for a class we really wanted to see instead of seeing it announced and thinking "Damn! I'll have to miss that one..."

Thanks
    Could you space them out a little?
    Spending almost 200 in a couple weeks and then have two more $95 downloads
    in one week means I just can't keep buying at that pace.

PS They are great opportunities of course but I hadn't budgeted for so many at once.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craig D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig D View Post
    Could you space them out a little?
    Spending almost 200 in a couple weeks and then have two more $95 downloads
    in one week means I just can't keep buying at that pace.

PS They are great opportunities of course but I hadn't budgeted for so many at once.
    I believe the reason they have kinda thrown them all at us at once, is because the CA site needs the money...

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, itís a very cheesy response but itís true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -BjÝrn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    That would really be sad, these are great classes and I've learned things there that I wouldn't have in school. Like Craig, the only problem for me has been the fast pace that they come out at (although I get why they do), I've missed several that looked awesome and I've had to watch most of what I did get on demand.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    IMO some of the more recent streaming classes have been too specialized. Things like the Lighting for Photography for example is something that is not as helpful to most of the people here as say, the Color and Composition classes. These more specialized classes would probably be better suited as downloads, I think. It doesn't help that the streaming classes are 2-4.5 times as expensive as the downloads. I don't know what your numbers are, but I suspect that downloads have sold significantly more successfully than recent streaming classes. People don't understand how helpful a class like Simplicity or Point of View can be, many would rather watch Chan or Nox draw an illustration. Also, a lot of the recent streams have been focused on traditional illustrators... while this is a great thing, I think that it loses a lot of interest from people who are simply interested in painting digital concept art. I understand you have good reasons for proceeding the way you have, these are simply my thoughts on what may help.

I hope people will support this cause. I've already spent more money on this site than I probably should have, but it's been absolutely worth every penny to add new words to my vocabulary of art.

Last edited by Ian Barker; December 12th, 2009 at 09:06 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
    IMO some of the more recent streaming classes have been too specialized. Things like the Lighting for Photography for example is something that is not as helpful to most of the people here as say, the Color and Composition classes. These more specialized classes would probably be better suited as downloads, I think. It doesn't help that the streaming classes are 2-4.5 times as expensive as the downloads. I don't know what your numbers are, but I suspect that downloads have sold significantly more successfully than recent streaming classes. People don't understand how helpful a class like Simplicity or Point of View can be, many would rather watch Chan or Nox draw an illustration. Also, a lot of the recent streams have been focused on traditional illustrators... while this is a great thing, I think that it loses a lot of interest from people who are simply interested in painting digital concept art. I understand you have good reasons for proceeding the way you have, these are simply my thoughts on what may help.

I hope people will support this cause. I've already spent more money on this site than I probably should have, but it's been absolutely worth every penny to add new words to my vocabulary of art.
    I am not going to go pick on everything you ave said, because I totally respect you. But its jut like the downloads. Say Donato's the Mechanic. Traditional, but even the digital artist will learn TONS!

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hive_minD View Post
    I am not going to go pick on everything you ave said, because I totally respect you. But its jut like the downloads. Say Donato's the Mechanic. Traditional, but even the digital artist will learn TONS!
    Oh dude, I know. I learned a ton from Coro's portrait alla prima video. I just think that a lot of people may not realize just how helpful these videos can be to artists of any medium.

Thanks
    Portfolio-reviews where massive as far as viewers came. I have no idea how many came only for on-demand (since they aren't up yet some people have mentioned they wish to see them but I have no idea if that is the total sum of people who just bought for on-demand purposes or not) and I think you guys should at the very least put up more portfolio-reviews.

In my own portfolio-review session- George Pratt and Jason Chan- there where 33 people getting reviews.. I am quite sure there where at least 5 that where only watching.
    It lasted long and we are all in awe of Jason and George's stamina, but they where well visited.

How many visitors per streaming class do you guys need for it to be worthwhile?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,745 Times in 721 Posts
    I've been following quite a few streaming classes by now, and I have to admit I was shocked at the low number of participants yesterday. Almost as many students as there were teachers.
    Even so, I learned a TON and it was more than worth it. Which goes for every single class I've attended so far. I don't follow any art education and to me these classes are invaluable.

Some thoughts -
    I'd have to admit I'm not quite sure why support declined. I do have to say the classes got increasingly specialized, I'd also add that sometimes, it was not always clear as what to expect of an upcoming class. Recently, they have been getting more cluttered as well, and some of them were announced on a short notice. I've been having trouble freeing up time and money just a few days in advance.

I absolutely wouldn't want this to stop. Each of the streaming classes so far was both exciting and of extremely high quality. I think I should pick up some dl's...

Take a look at my Website!

Thanks
    i spend $600 SGD ($400 USD) just this month on conceptart not mentioning the previous downloads... man......hope streaming classes will carry on....

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dim5um For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I think there were possibly 3 reasons why there was a dip in people attending this weekend, and there probably will be this weekend and the next.

1) The recession. Jobs are scarce. In my local paper this week there were 2 jobs advertised. No job = no money= no spending power.

2) Christmas. Money isn't as elastic as we'd like it to be; especially at this time of year when people are spending on each other rather than themselves.

3) Christmas again. This is the time of year when work colleagues get together for a meal and a drink. This weekend and next. (The following weekend is Christmas, and the one after that is New Year) These meals tend to be booked about a month in advance because restaurants and party venues get booked up quickly. If you've already budgetted, say, £30 to £40 for a night out, and then a streaming class is announced and you've already prepaid the meal and drink, you'll be very unpopular (not to say out of pocket) if you attend the streaming class and forgo the meal, thus losing the money you've already paid.

I'm sure it's been a blip and things will pick up again in the New Year.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.