Sketchbook: merrycarousel's back to basics
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: merrycarousel's back to basics

merrycarousel is offline doughnuts!!! omnomnomnom.... Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

merrycarousel's back to basics

hey all,

have been a super lurker around CA for quite a bit now; and have wanted to post my drawings for quite some time, but didn't have the courage to step in among the amazing sketchbooks here. so sorta taking a plunge, here's my humble addition to this section; hopefully by posting my sketches up plus any comments and crits, i would be more motivated and be able to make progress with my works.

i saw this quote in someone's sig which i really liked, which went smthg like, "if you're not making mistakes, it means you're not solving harder problems. and that is a mistake." i think i'll be making a mountain of mistakes now, but it'll be worth it.

i'm not good at figure drawing, and have been painting (not-very-accurate) portraits. avoided drawing anything below the neck for most of my works because i didn't like it when i suck. when i do draw the body, sometimes it's more guesswork than skill (i've put up some of my prev. illus to show you what i mean). i can't cheat myself forever, so yea... planning to do more studies (muscles, mass, colour, men etc) and not be a beached whale.

feel free to comment, kick my butt when i suck etc...

(a short who-am-i: i'm 23 years old; i studied multimedia design in school, trying a lot of things [from websites to motion graphic to 3d to traditional animation etc] and now i'm a tutor for 3D modeling.]

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by merrycarousel; December 13th, 2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: pictures too big; removed nervous verbal diarrhoe....
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

merrycarousel is offline doughnuts!!! omnomnomnom.... Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    studying muscles now; wish i wasn't working so i could just practice the whole day because i'm sorta getting into it LOL... or can i split myself into two? Hmm, could leave one at home to practice drawing and send the other halve to hoppity hop to work...

1st-> from imagination
    2nd-5th-> posemaniac warm-up sketch (first 3, 30 sec; last 1, 60 sec)
    6th-> muscle study from rey bustos' website. i drew the fully fleshed girl first, then the muscles, then i drew the same girl again with what i understand from the underlying muscle below her flesh. uhm, hopefully i'm doing the study right.

as usual, comments/suggestions/critiques etc are always welcomed~

Last edited by merrycarousel; December 14th, 2009 at 01:08 PM. Reason: wanted to explain a bit more abt the muscle study

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another update... reached home real late today, so no sketches for today =(. what i did though, was to dig out an old illustration of mine, and improve the arm and neck/shoulder area. er... hope i made it better and not worse orz!!

if you can tell which is the improved one, then i'll breathe a little better LOL

also, attaching a study i did last month of my favourite model, gemma ward. ultimate failed on the first two tries LOL. on the third try, i actually flipped the image horizontally to slap my brain into shape, and it works! XD

peace out, peeps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so hai guys. i actually was doing some hogarth studies, but really, i needed some sleep, so wanted to post tomorrow.

when i was about to sleep, out of the blue, i decided to do a self-portrait.

note to self: thou shalt not plan to sleep, then suddenly decide to paint instead. i'm supposed to be up in 4 hours orz. i'm so friggin' dead.

this study took me about 2 hours... i learnt smthg abt my own face wtf. (and yes, my headphones are slightly busted TT___TT) there are many flaws, like, the eyes are kind of fucked up, i look somewhat petrified and why do i look like i'm pouting...??

But for now... SLEEP~!!

some comments would be awesome btw TT___TT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Merrycarousel,

Thanks for visiting my sketchbook. I totally know what you mean about being dead tired and deciding to draw. lol
    Really nice work on the digital self portrait. I'm diggin your anatomy poses too.

Dwarven Hunter cancels trapping; Interrupted by Undead Elephant!

Sketchbook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin_McDowell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the anatomy studies! Like the digital work too!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jderooij For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks a lot for visiting my sketchbook.
    Unbelievable improvement in the last two updates. Like, outstanding.
    The biggest crit I can give, is to remember about your eye structure. There is the socket, and ball, and all that fleshy stuff . Right now your eyes seem quite flat, due to you not paying enough attention to this.
    Be careful about the necks too. In the one you referenced, It looks a off, I think it is because you put it straight down at the back, instead of the slight angle that it is.
    Anyway, you are improving with leaps and bounds. Keep it it!

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FraserMcT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, thanks for visiting my skecthbook!

YouŽve got amazing photoshop sketches here!
    like your selfportrait.
    Keep it up!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sarbro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello, thank you very much u comment my art work as well, let me know more and more my mistake here... thank visiting my sketchbook too~! hope you can visit more and comment me

sketchbook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Guan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello merrycarousel, thank you for commenting! I like your anatomical sketches ... and your selfportrait as well! Some of the photoshop drawings are a little bit overdone in my opinion... while your sketches have a lot more liveliness in them! Concerning anatomy, IŽd recommend Bridgman over Hogarth, I find, the first oneŽs drawings have much more vividness within them.
    Keep posting!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Thomas Schwanke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    merry xmas & happy new year everyone!!

kevin_mcdowell:thanks for your comment! the anatomy poses were by observation... it usually looks really odd or stiff if i draw it from imagination. need to improve that!
    jderooij: thank you... so much more to learn!! ;___;
    FraserMcT: whoa, right about the neck... didn't notice that! i agree with your abt the eyes in the self-portrait. thanks so much for your critique and comment!
    sarbro: thanks, dude!
    Guan: no prob...hope the critique helped you!
    Thomas Schwanke: thanks for your comments/crit/recommendation!! hehe, sketches have +1 awesome point because it shows the decision making and the construction beneath the surface... my problem is that once i start rendering it to look finished, it look boring TT__TT... is that what you meant by overdone (over-polishing the piece?).

here's what i've done when i MIA-ed... there are some pieces from imagination, where u can see i'm still struggling with the anatomy and their pose looks stiff and odd aiks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice SB!
    I can see that you've been working hard, anatomy studies are looking great!!
    I think you should work more on structure, and a little in gesture. This way you'll reaffirm your actual knowledges.

All the best

19. The Following User Says Thank You to andres333 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say I'm really liking the one in your first post, with the couple wearing gas masks. It's a really neat concept.
    Your human bodies are already getting better - just keep the good work up!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Khanran For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good studies!
    You might want to study edges a bit. Control of them will help immensely. Also, your poses are stiff and straightened out. Remember to push the gesture, accentuate some angles, feel what motivates the characters you draw. Give them purpose. Have fun and be patient!

Take care! =)

No pain, no gain.

Sketchblog
    Sketchbook

23. The Following User Says Thank You to kaktuzlime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In general i like all of your digital work:p .. nice anatomy studies also, but i would work a little more on anatomy.. on imagination sketches on the last post, the heads of the figures are a little looking off, don't know exactly what's wrong with them. I quess it's just a pain in the ass to draw a small sized face, i think that on some of them, maybe the eyes are just a little too below, but not sure lol, maybe it's just my sleepyness.

Keep posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    andres33: thanks! i've been studying bridgman's constructive anatomy for the past week, and trying to strengthen my knowledge in structure... that definitely helped my gestures (but my gestures is still in need of loads of improvement haha).

Khanran: i'm glad you like them! it's an anniversary celebration in a boomed-out-world (wtf). thank you!

kaktuzlime: totally with you on the stiff part... i did had an image in my head and wrote some keywords like "alert, cautious" etc, but somehow it doesn't come out on paper TT___TT. someday, machines can project our thoughts. like paprika haha. thank you!

spark_zero: yo fellow ssg! haha. yea, anatomy is my weak point, and had been avoiding it until now. and maybe i should really draw stuff bigger... and not be squeezin' everything on a small surface... thanks for the comment!

okay, here's some more sketches and a 3D girl (no reference... pretty much gives you the idea how it turned out orz). had started studying bridgman and it does help! although, honestly, i have yet to truly understand it... one day, it will be tattooed into my brain (i think my brain cells just peed their pants wtf). i did loads of gestures as well, but it's pretty blah, so it isn't here. my grandma was over for the weekend... she's awesome. she lived through WWII by hiding in the forest with all the damn leeches, and eating potatoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your digital work is really good you seem to already have a good eye for colour which will only get better in the future. The rendering on the muscles on your studies is really good as well. I would say these are your two strongest areas, keep it up!

The Late Starters Sketch Group

UrbanHermit~Krel~DiR3Kt~Sir Cam

27. The Following User Says Thank You to UrbanHermit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Making real good progress.

Like your studies and your alien.

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to George Abraham For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the black and white still-life and 3d girl. Nice hand studies too. Just so hard to come up with consistent crits so far. There's nothing wrong with drawing small though, in my opinion, it's better to draw a lot of small gestures on a piece of paper, after all these are just studies.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to kRaven For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey merrycarousel, this is a great start to a new sketchbook, you're digital work especially shows great promise. I like how you've kept at your pieces of work and refined them until they work and I especially like the vibrancy of the colours you use.
    As a small suggestion I'd recommend giving your digital pieces more fine detail but I love what you've done so far and I look forward to some more images.

Chris

What's all this lead doing on my paper?

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=178473

33. The Following User Says Thank You to himself For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff so far =) I love all of your human figure studies. In some of your photoshop pictures I'd like some more definition cuz one like the mug seem a little fuzzy to me, but I can see you have a really good sense of value. Cool stuff =)

35. The Following User Says Thank You to ParanoiaArtist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really good hand studies!! I think they were quite helpful, really great ammount of sketches .. I also like that digital one, and that sketch with that telescope idea is quite dope, maybe you should work it in a bigger scale someday, into a finished version, just that i like that kind of things, a little bit retarded (in a good way ofcourse)
    Btw, grandparents rule.. both of my grandmoms are also quite cool..

37. The Following User Says Thank You to spark_zero For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    UrbanHermit: thanks for the really generous comment! rendering muscles is fun, but sometimes i get too much into the rendering and forget the purpose of that study is for... orz i fail haha.

zaorr: arigatou! hopefully i could improve faster... so slow! >.<

kRaven: yea, understood... it's easier to crit when a person try to apply what they learnt in an artwork. i'll come up something, and hopefully there will be an improvement. thanks, dude!

himself: hahah nice username! thank you muchly for your comment. i know what you mean about the details. i was looking at Daryl's sketchbook yesterday and he uploaded a walkthrough of his BG, and you could totally see how those little detail made a good work AMAZING. at my level i could only reach at his step3-4 though =(. i'll get that attachment link to show you later!

ParanoiaArtist: ...-coughgotlazywiththemugcoughcough- haha. sometimes i'm on this fence about finished refined work and the energetic rough sort. i either overpolish or underpolish it sigh. thanks for your comment!

spark_zero: hehe i'm trying to burn the essence of hands into my brain LOL. i always loved looking at drawings of hands, but i didn't practice on it. making up on lost time now i guess.... yea, i'll work on that telescope sketch, and fix the dismal perspective/proportion issues. thanks, bud!

still on hand studies; improvement, y/n? i'm not too happy with my sketches today;still can't pull off hands that aren't boring and straight-on =(. reference from mjranum-stock@DevArt. if anyone's interested, he has a couple of slow-mo videos of people in motion too... check it out!

also, here's a bg WIP i'm working on... still blocking things in, figuring out the architecture.

Last edited by merrycarousel; January 13th, 2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: erm... wanted to bold the usernames haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those hands are looking fine to me atleast, on a more realistic styled stuff they would work great, not too complex and also not too simple.. There's a B. Hogarths book "drawing the dynamic hands" .. but I think you problabally know it.. though all of the stuff in that book is really exacarated, to show all the muscles in hand n stuff.. but in character design, that kind of stuff maybe good to applie.

What's that wip going to end up being? A lonely house sitting on top of a hill? Would be interested to see it in the future

40. The Following User Says Thank You to spark_zero For This Useful Post:

lhazar is offline If you read this, you're not drawing. Go! Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey merrycarousel, very nice sketchbook! Your bridgeman's studies are superb, do it more often! And while you're at it, doing some more (photo or natural) referenced study will give you broader understanding of how all those layers of flesh set down on the muscles. I know because I'm doing it too ;D

When my daughter was about seven years old, she asked me one day what I did at work. I told her I worked at the college - that my job was to teach people how to draw.
    She stared back at me, incredulous, and said, "You mean they forget?"

Howard Ikemoto

My Website

My CA Sketchbook

42. The Following User Says Thank You to lhazar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    spark_zero: thanks, man... yea, i'll have his book, but have yet to study it deeply >.<. i'll look at it later since i'm studying hands. the 'environment' is an old-ish cramped living space on a cliff... inspired by a photograph i have (inspiration folder! gotta have one hehe)

Ihazar: yay! let's get a hang of those darn hands!! haha. check out some deviantart stocks... i love them. thanks for your comment btw!

no sketches today... definitely some tomorrow! itching to draw, but alas, the physical shell is woozy wtf.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    double post... again. dont know whether the internet is being retarded or i have awesome bruce lee clicking fingers....)

Last edited by merrycarousel; January 14th, 2010 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The hand study from imagination seems to lack some values so that there is an impression it has contour around it. Try drawing mostly from mind thinking of different hand movents and directions of light. It shouldn't be hard for you if you understand constuction of the hand and behaviour of light.
    Looking forward for the wip thing, the idea is interesting.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to kRaven For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, cheers for the comment on my sketchbook. Much appreciated.
    More updates are needed
    Some nice things, the hand just above is quite nice. It looks very clean, although there seems to be some problems with the thumb? Although the foreshortening on the fingers is great.
    There seems to be some problems with overall proportions with your figures from your head. I would advise paying closer attention to this when drawing.
    Other than that, keep it up!

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

48. The Following User Says Thank You to FraserMcT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kRaven: thank you for your crit! i have a better understanding of hands now, and in comparison, it looks -slightly- better than before, but i'm still having trouble with it =(. will do as you suggest.

FraserMcT: hahah, same here @ more updates needed! thanks for the crit; i'll look out more for the proportion bit. i think my sketch below have some prob on that too bleh. need to draw more more.

just one from me for now... don't you hate those things that pops up and ruins your plans? blah. will update again this coming monday.

reference is from mjranum@devart.

have a good weekend, y'all!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.