What anime/manga-style art do you recommend?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What anime/manga-style art do you recommend?

I used to be in love with the anime and manga art style, but I've gotten really tired of it over the years. It's great eye candy, but most of the time, that's all it is at best. So, I really want to know:

What examples of good art do you keep track of that happen to be in the anime style?
    What is it exactly that 'good' anime art has or lacks that sets it apart from...I dunno, the usual DeviantArt mush? Sometimes this is really obvious, but I'd still like to see the difference defined in real words, if possible.

I'd guess that what makes anime so hate-able is its overused stereotypes and shallowness, in both technique and subject. Well, can you point me to an anime or manga artist who defies this?

Last edited by Kuroyue; December 14th, 2009 at 03:59 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tsutomu Nihei - BLAME!, Abara, Biomega, Noise, Wolverine SNIKT! Very French-influenced, has a background in architecture (look at his megastructures), and does some killer Giger-esque creature designs.

Natsuki Sumeragi - You have to Google her. She does ancient Chinese, Japanese, and Korean-based manga. Very beautiful and elegant line art and more classical than contemporary.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tsutomu Nihei -- oh wow, that IS Giger-esque. I'm not so taken with the look of his characters, but the architecture blows me away. Thanks for showing me this! I've heard of BLAME! here and there, but I've never checked it out.

Natsuki Sumeragi -- well, I have to admit that classical style isn't my cup of tea, but it could be that I just don't know how to appreciate it. Still, not bad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://studioqube.com/

http://gueuzav.deviantart.com/

second link is a french artist but it is very much anime influenced, but man his work is really awesome and unique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...I'd like to see if anyone else agrees if I put these links here up for suggestion:

http://kidchan.deviantart.com (Consistent style, almost to a repetitive point, but very unique style nonetheless.)
    http://members3.jcom.home.ne.jp/u1h/ (Haradaya -- Takehito Harada. Famous for the Disgaea game series.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Takeshi Obata: Death Note. DEATH NOTE.
    Anything by Studio Ghibli. Also Shirow Masamune for Ghost in the Shell.

CRITIQUE AS YOU WOULD BE CRITIQUED
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    THE ABOVE LINK IS ALL YOU NEED

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    kidchan does some good stuff. I like some of prodigy-bombay's stuff too, although he doesn't really go anywhere with it. I'm not a huge fan of the Death Note artwork, but hot DAMN does it have some good story... at least in the TV show, I haven't read it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PieterV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PieterV, those are definitely some interesting links. I have seen Arma Eater, Cellar FCP, Kim Hyung Tae, and Gez Fry before, and I agree.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Basically everything i see in Miyazaki movies.

and http://gunnmgally.deviantart.com
    great mix between anime/realistic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kim Hyung Tae
    !!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not a big fan of anime style anything really, although there are a few artists which I enjoy looking at who have that style. Tukiji Nao is one of those exceptions. I love the details in this image and that it is a lot more "realistic" compared to most anime, as I associate most anime as "simple" and too cartoony for my tastes.

Attached Images Attached Images  

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love Ayami Kojima's work on the Castlevania series. Here's a gallery: http://gallery.aethereality.net/list/artist/38/1/

My sketchbook is bigger than yours.
    (not really)

Cool people you might want to check out:

Dy.laneA

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting. Totally unaware of this topic, earlier today I happened to browse some French site on mainly European and Asian animation and came across a studio called Studio 4°C. I could actually bring out most of their stuff as examples here but one particular animation called "Moondrive" really caught me in a spell. I love the style. It's a 15 min short. Here's a relatively good AMV of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggk1xnmXAT0

Today aside, I think Samurai Champloo is a great example of a bit different side of anime. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan too. It's a bit generic maybe but the animation has that something extra that works for me and brings it out of the crowd. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is another good style example. Other names I can come up with right now that I think are worth mentioning would be Ergo Proxy and Michiko to Hachin. There's actually a lot of anime with cool style out there.

Also Makoto Shinkai. Don't think much of his plots and characters but the settings are just faboosh gorgeos mountains of eyecandy. He has this unrealistic realistic appeal to them.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDBH4xCE9ys&feature=fvst

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've heard of studio 4C, and their animation is just spellbinding. I recommend watching Amazing Nuts! "Kung Fu Love": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yMrOcaDZJM

also, Ken Ishii (also by studio 4C): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUz13hYwuBw

I've heard of Samurai Champloo and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan, but I haven't seen either. Probably shouldn't either--I'm already hooked with so many other things.

Will check out Makoto Shinkai.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Although I don't like manga neither anime, the Grave of the Fireflies was one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen. No eyecandies neither disproportioned people nor teenagers showing their underwear constantly

It's beautiful. Maybe the only word that would fit in that movie.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To be fair, Western art also has a lot of disproportional people, albeit in a different style. But yes, Graveyard of the Fireflies is beautiful. Its effect is lost on me, though, because I've seen it when I was probably five and if I were to see it now there would be no shock value. I've heard that it's pretty known for making people cry, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG! Tetsuya Nomura is the most epic of all. He's the master mind behind cloud and everything from ff7 and up. If you actualy do research and look closer at his work there are a few coool things you'll notice, for example riku from KH1. (dont have apicture so google one or something) but you'll notice that his pants are actualy shorts that have this little suspender thingies that hold onto his pant legs and from afar it looks like simple long legged pants but they're not (let's hope that was coherrent). and in his other works there are heaps of other little things that are "hidding" as yell as his use for useless belts and zippers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiroaki Samura, the guy who draws Blade of the Immortal! The faces are more stylized on the women, but the anatomy work is gorgeous.

And I agree that Grave of the Fireflies was a wonderfully sad movie.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bronson and Tetsuo Hara: The two men behind Fist of the North Star (Best anime ever).

Ryusuke Mita: Dragon Half (too bad he's still in jail, I really dig his style)

Kaori Yuki: She and Ayami Kojima have the same style.

Y. Amano: I didn't get to play FF6 extensively, but I like his character designs.

Akira Toriyama: I personally prefer his other stuff over Dragon Ball.

...And this is coming from someone who has mixed feelings towards anime in general.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like Anime/Manga art in general, so long as it is actually an example of industry work. For example, artists who are working on the actual anime, creating storyboards or actually drawing the frames or backgrounds, as well as artists who make the promotional pieces, including posters or cover art or dvds, and anything else created by professionals specifically for the industry. Seeing as I do like anime quite a bit (yes, I have my weaboo moments) I think it will be easier to list what I don't like, rather than what I do like.

What I don't like is the stereotypical members of the anime/manga fandom, and by proxy I don't like the art created by said members. I especially do not like their art when:

a) it is based on a generic series that everyone has seen and there are a bajillion other artists drawing the same characters.

b) it depicts two characters, possibly from entirely different stories, engaging in a romantic union which neither character would be likely to be involved in, usually indicating a homosexual relationship. This especially bothers me when I actually enjoyed the original anime that the characters came from.

c) the "artist" has actually created their own characters for their own story. However, the story sounds like someone took a mishmash of old anime storylines from the '80s and based a fanfic on it, and the art looks like what someone might expect from a Japanese Picasso with Down Syndrome.

d) the artist finds something in an anime that was actually done as a cheep way to save on animation budget and uses this as a basis for ALL of his/her own work. This includes but is not limited to "chibis," avoiding noses, crazy sloppily drawn expressions, hands drawn like mittens, funny giant sweat drops, etc.

e) anything traced. I'm not sure if adding new features/changing appearance of character with a traced pose is actually better or worse than just tracing the character without making any changes.

f) The artist insists on making the bulk of their portfolio consist of anime fan work, especially with any of the above examples, shows it around while hopped up on pocky wearing a cosplay outfit, and then expects anyone to take them seriously enough to give them a job.

Jovian M is offline HOW MANY PUSH-UPS CAN YOU DO? Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiroaki Samura and Obata Takeshi still get my balls wet. I like plenty of other uhhh, 'manga style' artists, but those two are probably my favourites. www.kse332.deviantart.com and www.lesean.deviantart.com are really good, too.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Jovian M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll take anything that looks different and that it looks to be good quality. If I get the vibe that an "Anime style" artwork has been done at least 20 times before, it doesn't pass (Of course, I don't have a set number for this test...).

That said, some Anime-styled artists I like are George Kamitani, Yoshitaka Amano, Tatsuyuki Tanaka, Makoto Shinkai, Udon Comics, Hayao Miyazaki, and Falcoon. There are probably a billion others but these guys stand out for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    generally any artist that draws faces in the default anime style fails with me. otherwise ok.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Juno Jeong

And let's not forget about Amano!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    http://studioqube.com/

http://gueuzav.deviantart.com/

second link is a french artist but it is very much anime influenced, but man his work is really awesome and unique.

That french guys work just blew my mind...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like alot of old school artist's styles.

Fujio Akatsuka

Shigeru Mizuki

Tezuka and Ishinomori are others that stand out to me. It's a shame that these guys don't get the recognition they deserve in the west.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slothboy3000 For This Useful Post:

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,052 Times in 943 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i would rename this thread in 'what anime or manga can you recommend'

"'Anime'-style art you DO approve of" sounds somewhat degrading to me.

It would be no different to say:
    "Abstract art you DO approve of, Complimentary art you DO approve of, concept art you DO approve of

No art form needs anyones approval.

Last edited by Randis; December 14th, 2009 at 10:00 AM.
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

35. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by R a n d i s View Post
    i would rename this thread in 'what anime or manga can you recommend'

"'Anime'-style art you DO approve of" sounds somewhat degrading to me.

It would be no different to say:
    "Abstract art you DO approve of, Complimentary art you DO approve of, concept art you DO approve of

No art form needs anyones approval.
    Fixed. I knew it sounded degrading, but you have to admit that there is a certain attitude against anime here, more notably when it comes to the more stereotypical aspects (why else would people call it animu?). So I wanted to make sure I didn't sound like a mindless fan.

But there are certainly more positive responses than I'd anticipated, so it makes sense to change the title now.

Last edited by Kuroyue; December 14th, 2009 at 05:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1