Following

CA Star System

The CA "star ratings" appear to be based on a 5 point grading scale:

5 Stars = A
    4 Stars = B
    3 Stars = C
    2 Stars = D
    1 Star = F

Wouldn't it be better if the stars represented more of a "restaurant rating" type of star system?

Initially, I saw a Sketch Book or two that I'd have liked to have thrown a star or two to. BUT, understanding the "star ratings," I realized that would have been a REAL insult!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    The CA "star ratings" appear to be based on a 5 point grading scale:

5 Stars = A
    4 Stars = B
    3 Stars = C
    2 Stars = D
    1 Star = F
    How did you come to that conclusion? and what would that mean for threads with no star rating?

I think you misunderstand.The star system is not meant to rate the value of a thread relative to another thread.

I always viewed the star system as a way in which members could show appreciation for a particular thread.The system could serve as a motivational tool to artists who choose to value it, but you are not being judged.

In this community everyone is here to get inspired and learn no matter how many stars their sketchbook may have. Getting any stars should be a compliment because it means that people are interested enough in your art to give you feedback and motivate you.

If you think of art as merely a competition, you'll only be as good as your competitors.

...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mute For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I thought the star system was just there so people could counter trolls/jealous artists rating one star on honest members.

SECONDS: Do you work from life of photographs?
    FRAZETTA: I work from my head.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mute View Post
    How did you come to that conclusion? and what would that mean for threads with no star rating?

I think you misunderstand.The star system is not meant to rate the value of a thread relative to another thread.

I always viewed the star system as a way in which members could show appreciation for a particular thread.The system could serve as a motivational tool to artists who choose to value it, but you are not being judged.

In this community everyone is here to get inspired and learn no matter how many stars their sketchbook may have. Getting any stars should be a compliment because it means that people are interested enough in your art to give you feedback and motivate you.

If you think of art as merely a competition, you'll only be as good as your competitors.
    Mute:

I came to "that conclusion" by the FACT that the rating system judges 2 Stars as "Bad", and 1 Star as "Terrible!"

This SUBSTANTIALLY raises the threshhold for giving "props" to a thread that might be "pretty dang good" and more worthy of a look-see, but, nowhere near the quality of perhaps a thread by Randis or el coro!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always thought the same thing. If you just take the word labels off the stars so one star isn't considered "terrible" but a small honor I think the system would work better. Or at least it would open the star system up to more people.

It is kind of discouraging to know that to get ANY stars on your sketchbook it has to be five star worthy or people will feel like they can't rate it anything. It would be nice to be able to use the whole range. I mean how many threads are there that have less than four stars? None I've seen. It's always four, five or none.

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

My goal: To get good enough to post in the Finally Finished Forum.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MyOrangeHat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm confused. You want to give a person a star rating but don't agree that a 2 star would be a D? If you think they deserve a C or B then give them more stars. It's no different from the Youtube star rating system.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    Mute:

I came to "that conclusion" by the FACT that the rating system judges 2 Stars as "Bad", and 1 Star as "Terrible!"

This SUBSTANTIALLY raises the threshhold for giving "props" to a thread that might be "pretty dang good" and more worthy of a look-see, but, nowhere near the quality of perhaps a thread by Randis or el coro!

Ah, i see what your saying.
    I agree with you that the labeling of the stars in the menu is not so great, but (for the most part) I think the people don't really pay attention to that and use the stars more like....well, like a restaurant rating like you said.

...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mute For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    I'm confused. You want to give a person a star rating but don't agree that a 2 star would be a D? If you think they deserve a C or B then give them more stars. It's no different from the Youtube star rating system.
    Don't be confused!

Here's the point: CA seems to be a rather polite society-- everyone wants usefull crits, but (most) people don't want to be utter A-holes or even mildly harsh.

On one hand, a "C" grade is a bit of a smack in the head, on the other hand, it is perhaps an overstatement, given that, unlike in academia, no one really has the balls to smack people with "D" and "F" grades here in our polite society!

Thus, it would be nice to be able to rate a SB with One Star as a message to others to say, "hey take a look at this" without either insulting the Poster or falsely puffing up their ego.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,803 Times in 941 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This happens to all forums i have been. Same question. Then you have some jealous guys who gives * or ** or *** stars just to underrate your thread.
    There is no better way for this thing. It is important that you are satisfied with your work.

M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think if the star system ignored outliers like any good random sample it would be alot more fair.

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,052 Times in 943 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    no matter what the stars say, once we open a thread our eyes will see the work for what it is. No bad rating will make it worse and no good rating and hype will make it better.
    But yes, 1 star ratings can have a bitter taste sometimes but the majority usually rules.

Not 100% tho... Due to so many threads the visitors tend to click on the 4 and 5 star threads, discriminated the unrated and poorly rated posts.

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Problem as I see it (may not be true, that's just the feeling I'm getting) is that people are avoiding threads with few stars. They would rather open a thread with no stars than a thread with 1, 2 or 3 stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare
    I think he'll be to Rome
    As is the osprey to the fish, who takes it
    By sovereignty of nature.
    SSG
    Anthis Dizon Angel Intheuk Zou Crane Hai

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hai For This Useful Post:

Aila is offline More Imagination than Skill Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just realised I never look at whether threads have stars or not. I'm mostly in the Sketchbook forum and I click on threads according to title and thumbnail, which in turn appeal to me according to my current mood.

I see a slight problem with the stars.. if you see a thread with five stars, do you expect to see a high level of artwork there? I mean, if I were to start giving stars to threads, I would also give a person stars for good work or progress, even if they weren't on the same level as a lot of the more accomplished artists here. So you would have, say, two threads with the same rating, but different levels of artistic ability. Would people be annoyed at clicking a four or five star thread, expecting perfect art and "only" finding someone who has earned some stars because they've made great progress?

(I'm not saying those with greater ability haven't put hard work into their work and made progress, of course!!)

Insanity is the key!
    Also, studies are a key. And passion is a key. Also, so are inspiration, motivation and dedication. Talent can be a key. Insomnia can also be a key, depression is a sad rusty little key. Damn, artists need one hell of a keyring.

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The stars should be changed to smiley faces.

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,052 Times in 943 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    like this?

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I do see a "I'll give you stars, so you give me stars" occasionally, but mainly on the whole I ignore them because I've been disappointed so many times with some 5 star rated SB that don't live up to the hype. Sure people might have a great time commenting, but if the work isn't top notch, what's the point? I click on more no star SBs than starred as I think they need more love and consideration, just like mine - and no, that was not a hint for any stars.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The sole purpose of the stars is to periodically spawn threads like this.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think we could do away with the star system, especially in the sketchbook section. Everybody in there is trying to learn and struggle towards the same goal, i don't see the point at all in rating people that way. There is no need to weed out bad stuff like there is on Youtube, for example - it's all good stuff here, we're just at different points in the learning process.

My sketchbook is bigger than yours.
    (not really)

Cool people you might want to check out:

Dy.laneA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hrm...I would probably click on a one star thread before I clicked on a four or five star.....a one is way more rare around here.

I'd have to second Crass on that point, rating sketchbooks seems a bit counterproductive at times.

Last edited by {CKL}; December 12th, 2009 at 01:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CKLamb View Post
    Hrm...I would probably click on a one star thread before I clicked on a four or five star.....a one is way more rare around here.

I'd have to second Crass on that point, rating sketchbooks seems a bit counterproductive at times.
    Maybe the star system is backward, * being the best while ***** being the worst.

Michelin stars and other ratings

The guide awards one to three stars to a small number of restaurants of outstanding quality. Stars are awarded sparingly; for instance, in the UK and Ireland 2004 guide, out of 5,500 entries, there are 98 with one star ("a very good restaurant in its category"), 11 with two stars ("excellent cooking, worth a detour"), and only 3 with three stars ("exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey").

A 3-star Michelin ranking is exceedingly rare. Only 26 3-star restaurants exist in France, and only 81 in the world.[6]

Since 1955, the guide has also highlighted restaurants offering "good food at moderate prices", a feature now called "Bib Gourmand". They must have a menu priced at no more than 28 in the case of the UK, or €40 in Ireland. The name comes from Bib (Bibendum), the Michelin Man, Michelin's logo for over a century.

The guide also recognizes many restaurants without any stars or Bib Gourmands. These restaurants are usually rated solely on the scale of "forks and knives". The forks and knives rating is given to all restaurants recognized in the guide, and range from one to five, one fork and knife being "Quite comfortable restaurant" and five being "Luxurious restaurant". If the forks and knives are colored red they designate the restaurant to be "pleasant" as well. The forks and knives scale is designated to speak of the overall comfortability and quality of the restaurant, however any listing in the guide requires a relatively high standard of the kitchen as well.

Restaurants, independently of their other ratings in the guide, can also receive a number of other symbols next to their listing.

* The coins are given to restaurants that serve a menu for a certain price or less. The price depends on the local price-standard. In France the required price is currently €16.50.
    * Interesting view or Magnificent view, designated by a black or red symbol, are given to restaurants that offer dining with a view.
    * The grapes are given to restaurants that serve a somewhat interesting assortment of wine.

source: CRAPPY WIKIPEDIA

Besides, the "star system" would work in the internet, mainly because 1) there are no rating standards, and 2) everyone (as opposed to few elected people) can add stars, all it takes is been the best or an attention .

Last edited by Flashback; December 12th, 2009 at 03:09 PM.
    *** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    The sole purpose of the stars is to periodically spawn threads like this.
    "You can see the stars and still not see the light!"

--Don Henley

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Who cares anyway?
    Let's turn this thread in something more fun

Oops, it's the polite version
    Here's the one i wanted :

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Let's turn this thread in something more fun
    Star Wars!

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by R a n d i s View Post
    like this?

Yes. Absolutely yes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Weird...I think I might've seen one thread with 2 stars on it. o_O I never see threads with 1 star. I'm still curious what no stars might mean to some. I'm trying to shake away the idea that "my SB isn't good enough for even 3 stars".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The day my sketchbook becomes a 5 star thread will mark the first day I begin my career as a professional artist. Only with a 5 starred sketchbook under my belt can I tap into my true potential and create masterful pieces of artwerk.

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Really? I'm going to start my professional career on ebay. =D

If I can sell just two paintings a month at around 300 each, I'm already earning more than my monthly salary, teaching English full time here... From what I can tell there, I don't have too much competition on the landscape front.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

39. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    y u necro? :/

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    People must not be paying poor Kamber enough attention, judging from today's posts.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.