Team ChoW III - Ace Holes - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I cant make up my mind on where to put her arm... I start render this baby when I decide.
    Name:  aceofpentacles2.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  63.2 KB

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote is on the kite

progress..

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Björn, Yes, the kite is a great idea. Don't know about the arms, a question of taste I guess, they are both fine.

Tim, The sketch is coming along nice. I understand the horse can't be to dark because death has to stand out. You could however consider turning it around. Why should death be dark? It's a fact you have to do something different with death to give him that extra. And be careful with that horse, maybe use reference.

Nic, glad you are going for the hornblower, don't know about the legs though, why not mount him on a dragon or something?

I want to see if I can make some more then the ace of Wands an the Tower alone, so I've picket up Lovers and Princess of cups too. I don't know if I can finish both but it gives me the opportunity to draw something else. Yes I'm a workaholic with no life whatsoever

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tommoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Björn : The kite seems to further accentuates the native-indian feeling I get from this ace of Pentacles, reminds me of a dream catcher. It's only the gear though. If you have the arm holding the rim it sorta helps in associating both elements, the girl and the pentagram together. Plus it's less of straight-up hands-to-the-sides pose so I like that as aspect well. If you're not convinced just duplicate the pic a few times and draw different arms man, setting one next to the other usually makes the right choice obvious .

Tim : I think Björn had something with the upright sword. I wouldn't have noticed so much myself, but it's true that another vertical reference helps accentuate Death's own verticality as opposed to the horizontal deadies hehe

And Tom's idea might be cool as well : a white armoured Death with maybe a blue or red skull or something, to keep a colour difference. I like the idea, could make him pop right out of the image, but I also like the snow and pale horse against the black armour. The pale horse is great as well because I reckon it looks right dead and putrid maybe even. A leg probably would help though hehe. Also, I was wondering what you plan on having him hold ? Sucking souls through his hands or, holding a weapon ? I just ask because the pose seems to suggest something there.

Tom : Ya I scribbled a few quick lines for the legs and moved on haha Guess I didn't fool anyone there

No pics this time, some tonight hopefully.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rambozo For This Useful Post:

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tom - Thanks man! I think I'm gonna keep him with dark armor though, It's one of the main points in the Rider-Waite description and the white rose which I tossed on the chest of the armor. Do you see something particular wrong with the horse? What I can see is from the angle a bit more of the belly should be exposed he's a little too parallel to the viewer screwing up the perspective. I'm going try and address that, also I'm gonna sneak a foot in behind death's back.

Oh, I got a chuckle out of the lil' viking in the boat, nice sketches!

Nic & B-man - Tossed an Ax and the beginnings of his sickle which should help with the vertical perspective. Thanks for the advice guys!

Nic - There's gonna be some magic going on in that right hand

Last edited by t i m; January 14th, 2010 at 10:54 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to t i m For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tim, awesome, the armor is getting shape, and helmet and skull are looking great! You are probably right about Death needing to be black and of course its the best contrast with the snow. About the horse you are right at this angle you should see more belly. There are some other minor things that I tried to put my finger on but I'm certainly no expert. You could consider making it a dragon, this would give you more freedom One other thing I would mention is the cape he's wearing looks a little straight. Hope it's helpful.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tommoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's 4:30 in the mornin' here, I'm tired as f+ck, makin' this one short ans sweet. Checked in before goin' to bed and I did a round on the net to get some reference pics of laying horsies. Some might be helpful :

http://www.villastabbia.it/images-ac...o-Sleeping.jpg

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum...ping-horse.jpg

http://www.springfever.com/TrickHorseLayingDown.jpg

http://www.abcregistry.org/gallery08...ping_horse.jpg

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum...ping-horse.jpg

http://thumb11.shutterstock.com.edge...re-4281517.jpg

Dead horses (some people are cunts aren't they ?) :

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...g?t=1263547552

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/159/3...eee79fa313.jpg

http://www.leonneal.com/m/image/dead-horse.jpg

http://www.alarie.de/gallery/data/1/...ad_horse_2.jpg

http://3alleypub.files.wordpress.com...dead_horse.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3165/...4792dd4c_o.jpg

Tom : Likin' the new sketch, don't get over extended to where you're takin' hours away from the two cards we need to put out though.. And what is it with you and DRAGONNNNNS ???

_

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rambozo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello mates!

I have just looked at the last pieces in your threat and they already made a huge impression on me. If you have some ideas about the last piece of what the skeleton will handle, maybe it would be suitable if he handles it with both hands. Keep doing such nice works. - G

16. The Following User Says Thank You to clanlord For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And what is it with you and DRAGONNNNNS ???

I married one. (just kidding dear ) Seriously I think they are easier to draw then horses, are more imaginative and last but not least I've got one in my Ace pic and sort of one in my Tower pic, so it would be another way to link our cards

Don't worry about my cards, they got my full attention.

Great reference pics Nic, that should help. Now go to sleep.

Last edited by Tommoy; January 15th, 2010 at 08:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wanted to post this yesterday but spent the evenning at a show. Oi Polloi, heard of 'em ? Finally came to Montréal, lookin' forward to a big night, rather disappointing actually. Anyway, so I'm posting yesterday's stuff today.

Tried for judgement but with that Valkyrie, to get that "beautiful" back into the equation... Lost most of the "terrible" though. Recycled some of the earlier thumbs... Chose a shitty pose for this one as well, kept goin' with it for comparison but ya it's not working. I dunno, I'm not feelin' it. Nothing seems right or remotely good so far and this is pretty much my deadline for starting on the final images... Bugger.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Never heard of oi Polloi, maybe google them later.

You're on a good track Nic. Hard to choose, they all have pros and cons. I like the female character over a male one. The beauty is absolutely there, the terrible can come in the fire round her face, the horns and the shoulder armor. Liking the armor of B and C, great boots. Also the shoulder gear looks very good with the dragons. Maybe change the way she holds the horn, now it looks like she doesn't know what to do with it or wants to give it away. I like the cloth curling around her in -A, A and D, but fire or smoke around her face and coming from her hair is also strong. You could combine the two!. Some cool angry horns give her the viking touch.

There is still enough time but I think next week we should try to have the basics for all the characters ready.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The design elements are good. I think the problem with this one is in the stance. She holds her arms so close to her body and that makes an unintresting silhouette. So at first glance her torso looks like a bulky ball. Try and make some depth between her and her hands or maybe change the viewpoint.

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im still rendering this one out and Im working on adding a Nords looking gold necklace. Also gonna add a tattoo on her shoulder thats nordslooking like a runestone inscription or something. Might add a owl flying or maybe a seagull. Any Ideas?
    Name:  aceofpentacles3.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  42.0 KB

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok now thers just some stuff to add before I go to color.
    Name:  aceofpentacles4.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  33.7 KB

Last edited by B-Man; January 17th, 2010 at 06:00 PM.
    Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    b-man watch the values toward the center of the boobs. I'm not sure if they're hanging right for that particular dynamic, they look a little stiff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Raoul Duke - Thanks man! Im gonna try and fix that.

Trying to ad some nords looking designs. the runetext says Fortune, but in swedish. Also her her tatoo on her arm says happiness.
    Im still thinkling of adding some bird.

Name:  aceofpentacles5.jpg
Views: 1801
Size:  43.0 KB

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

25. The Following User Says Thank You to B-Man For This Useful Post:

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your works are fleshing out really nice mates.
    B-man this is so beautiful!!!The sea can maybe offer some great reflection to add to the wind and calm
    Great, i feel the air

27. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome progress guys, and thanks for the advice too! I should be able to post some more stuff soon. Just wanted to pop in and dish out some kudos, let ya guys knows I'm still around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tom : Oi Polloi have some decent albums and some great songs but, all their live albums suck balls.. And now I know first hand. The singer spends more time preaching to you between songs than they do playin' their set !!! I guess it must be difficult to contain yourself when you have all the wisdom of the universe cramped-up in your skull...

For the hands on the previous one well, ya that's what I was goin' for : her giving the horn to the querent , like in the text right ? Which I didn't like to much because it was taking power away from the character but then again how close do I wanna stay to this version of the tarot story and all that... But you're right though (Björn as well), visually it was week and as I mentioned the general pose was all wrong anyway so I hit failure right there...

I thought you might appreciate the shoulder-pads . I don't think I'm gona be able to keep them though, at least not for Judgement.

-

Alright, I wanted to get more done before posting but it's been a while so I figured I'ld send 'er as is to keep you in the loop. Steppin' away from this for a day or two did me some good I think, come back in with a little distance. I kinda like this one, no details yet but the vibe is good, set-up is clear, I'm gona run with it.

Kept the female version, floating up top sorta menacingly. This means I lose the rib-caged expanding-armoured dude which I liked but hey it's better this way I think. The horn is now huge and slung across her back (not sure I'm gona keep it that way but I don't hate it either). Big raven wings, figure out the suit, oh and I'm gona have a go at giving her death-ray eyes... Ok not really... hehe But they're gona be like spot lights that peer down at the querent-viking guy at the bottom maybe. I dunno if I'm gona darken the head and flash-light the eyes, or have it coming down from behind her head or whatever really, but that's the vibe I'm aiming for.

Hmmm, oh and to make things interesting I was thinking of having sorta ghost-wolves running out from behind her right at the Viking dude, they would symbolise them past dark-things that the querent is supposed come to terms with. I'll see how that exploration goes. I rather liked the original skeleton-ghosts swerving around on the first idea, but thought more human forms wouldn't help the composition here so... WOLVES ! See, Tom has his dragons, I have corny-howling-at-the-moon-logo-t-shirt animals hehe

Alright, gona play with her costume a little.

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    B-Man I am sorry to say that I am liking the sketch more than the value image. She looks very flat atm. I say try adding a dramatic lighting to describe her forms better. As Raoul said, she is looking weird now. I love the design though, especially the kite-idea.

Rambozo I like the design and how you placed the characters in the small frame. BUT make the wiking on the lower left VERY simple. I even find the hair too detailed and distracting. I would suggest going with the mood of the backlight here and making it the protagonist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kingkostas - Thanks bro! So glad you like it.

Nic - I like the Idea with the wolfs. but you really dont ned it in the image. Start with it this way and if you feel something is missing add it later.

Janos - Thanks for your input man! I dont see it as that flat on my monitor. I should probably calibrate it and have another look. Cheers!

I hope its not flat. I kinda like this palet its kinda romantic and inviting. Migt need to finish this soon got another card to work on aswell.
    Name:  aceofpentaclescolor3.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  33.0 KB

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Björn : Quite right, the wolves aren't needed . I have a tendency to try and cram to much stuff into each piece hehe. So it's better you tell me this now haha Besides, like you said : I can come back and add them later if they're needed and there's time left. They might have looked cool though Then again, half-chance they just might have clogged up the composition, all boiling down to how I managed to pull it off.

Still, I've done a real quick once-over with a few wolves misting-down from behind the Valkyrie to give you a slight idea of what I meant (maybe too quick, you can barely see them).

As Janos pointed out, I find the render on your Ace rather flat unfortunately (the character as well as the sky). Might be a question of monitors though, I go onto my girlfriend's mac and my pics come out darker and with less definition than on my screen so you won't be able to make it perfect for everyone I guess. All I can suggest is adding a few layers of darker values to have things pop out, maybe bringing the attention more to her face or the Pentacle by having these layers get lighter towards the center. Maybe you could add some overlayed-knot-work in the sky, that might help pop things out I dunno.

I'ld work these values along her left leg (our right) as well to have it pop out at the viewer more. Right now I "know" that's what the leg is doing but I don't "feel" it that much. Her breasts still seem a little unnatural as well, although by adding the necklace I find you've partially solved that impression. Have you tried adding some extra Viking-gear ? She feels more "nude" than Norse to me at the moment.

Hmmm, which reminds me : how are we gona be goin' about our frames for these cards ? I think it would be cool if we all had the same "family" of boarders. A simple name in a frame with knot-work to the left maybe ? A full knot-work boarder ? I have no idea, just trying to think ahead a little.

Janos : true that. I want the Viking to be very black and white in the end to show the contrast of the light beaming down on him. But I guess I often just "build" the character completely and then go back and try and take away some of the info (losing the details where the shadow ends up being etc.)... Which is a ridiculous way of working isn't it I'll try and keep it more in mind as I plodge along here, cheers.

Postin' my daily progress. Nothin' psycho, but moving along slowly at least (Yes, that is breast-clutching-raven-armour...For now at any rate hehe). I'll restart workin' on the Ace of Swords soon as well.

Tim Tom, how are them cards coming along ?

Last edited by Rambozo; January 21st, 2010 at 12:24 AM. Reason: wrong pic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice cards here!

My Sketchb00k regular updates
    -= i am looking for work =-
    DeviantArt . CGhub gallery . www.artofinca.com . Blog

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Artofinca For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanna chime in and say that you guys are doing really great so far!..

LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to seba_boi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bjorn, Suhweeet drawing mate, its very vibrant and she really gives the feeling she's floating in the air, nice. The kite is a great catch and very well executed. Must agree though with Nic she could use more Viking Nordic elements as in clothes, armor maybe just some more tattoos and jewelry could be enough, I don't know. Don't know about here being flat but the breasts feel a little stiff. Two minor other thing I noticed are here right hip (viewers left) its going overboard when you draw a line from her right leg up to her hip. Her other leg feels a little tiny, did a little adjusting hope you don't mind.

Nic, great progress, seems you finally are on the right track. Actually dig the wolves, hope you keep them. I think the hair/fire dissolving into the back is the best option. The guy on the left is distracting a little, could be only the face thats bothering. Maybe a helmet or only seeing hair would be better.
    Yeah about the frames. I don't know if we are suppose to draw them but I see a lot of other teams doing so. Maybe in the coming days we can focus a little on that too.

I'm working on the Tower, hope this one is better then the former one.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Tommoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tommoy, I got logged in to say, That Tower rocks my boat! Totally!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to dwinbotp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah seriously. good tower... good ... good .... tOWEERRRa aAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to kynu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tom : the rendering is coming along nicely, love the colours. The left hand (to our right) seemed a little wonky, the thumb in particular, so I did a real quick paint over. By moving the hammer head slightly up to make room for the thumb metacarpal where it joins at the trapezium, and then moving up and twisting the thumb slightly I find it looks much more natural. Not a big difference really but I think it helps. Then again he's some stone-golem-mountain-man-creature-thing so, what's natual about that right ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artofinca & seba_boi : thanks guys

Daily progress. It appears I've screwed the wing a little, I'll fix it up tomorrow. That's a wolf-skin cape thing off her right shoulder (our left) but at this scale it looks like a whole bunch of f+ck all. And you can't see the knot-work on the thighs either, I wanted it to be subtle but at this size it's invisible... lovely.

The horn is starting to bug me hangin' at the back like that. Well not the position so much as the fact that it's so big... It sorta jumbles into the character a little I find. Comments ? I think I'll give it back some of it's curve, it seemed to be less of a problem with the top un-straightened, more obvious that it was one object, easier to read the continuity.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1