Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Team ChoW III - Ace Holes

Thanks
    Marry X-mas guys!
    Im better and I'll be posting new artwork anyday. Sorry for not beeing around much lately.
    You guys are doing a good job on this chow. I cant wait for the topic either.
    Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Björn! Glad to read that you're better Too bad you didn't get to stretch your legs with us on this Surveyor ChoW. Like Tim says : it was something different to all be working on the same pic.

Merry Christmas boys. I'm drivin' way up North to no-man's-land today to spend soma the holidays with my girlfriend's family. I'll be back on the 29th so that'll be in time to start this new theme hehe I'll probably be able to get some stuff done up there if need be, check my mail at least.

Thanks
    Merry Christmas!

B-man glad to hear you're back man, looking forward to seeing that art, and the topic can't come soon enough

Wish you guys the best for the holiday, be safe, and enjoy the good food and drink!

Thanks
    Merry Christmas Y'all.

Glad to hear you're better Björn, we are counting on you for the team event.

Next week we finally get the info, I'm pretty exited on what its gonna be.

Here's the christmas card I've send to my customers in Holland, it says something like 'Santa keeps surprising us'.

Thanks
    Topic is announced, this is going to be fun.

1. Your team will choose TWO CARDS per person to illustrate. So, a 2 person team needs 4, a 4 person team 8, etc. This is the minimum requirement, you may choose more.
    2. You may only take major arcana for half your cards, please choose Lesser Arcana (The Suits) for at least half. Bonus points for those who do mostly Lesser Arcana!
    3. I will allow 4 teams per card. First come, first serve. If we get all the cards covered by at least four teams each, I will then be open to letting you pick cards that are already full. We want to make sure to get a full deck!
    4. Please make sure that your files can be sized down to 9 cm by 15.5 cm (or 3.543 x 6.1 inches) at 300 dpi. I'm exploring the option of seeing if we can get it printed, so please make sure your work is print-quality, or please write "OPT OUT OF PRINT" when you submit your work so I know you're not interested in having your cards printed as part of your deck.
    5. PLEASE DO NOT START DRAWING UNTIL JANUARY FIRST! Right now is the time to get everyone's cards assigned and start brainstorming, but please don't start drawing as it's unfair for the other teams.
    6. That's it, Have Fun!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarot
    http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/

If we want some of the cards in particular we have to be quick. Here's the list:

CARD LIST

NOTE! White means that some of the 4 slots have been filled, Red means all of the slots have been filled.

Major Arcana

0 The Fool - Bight Young Mutations
    I The Magician -
    II The High Priestess - PIRATE SHIP LOLLIPOP!
    III The Empress -
    IV The Emperor -
    V The Hierophant -
    VI The Lovers - PIRATE SHIP LOLLIPOP!
    VII The Chariot -
    VIII Strength -
    IX The Hermit -
    X Wheel of Fortune -
    XI Justice -
    XII The Hanged Man - Thundercats
    XIII Death - Thundercats, Exquisite Corpse
    XIV Temperance -
    XV The Devil
    XVI The Tower - Milk of Amnesia
    XVII The Star - Thundercats
    XVIII The Moon - Messzi Scruffz
    XIX The Sun - Messzi Scruffz
    XX Judgment -
    XXI The World -

Lesser Arcana
    Wands
    Ace of Wands -
    Two of Wands -
    Three of Wands -
    Four of Wands -
    Five of Wands -
    Six of Wands -
    Seven of Wands -
    Eight of Wands -
    Nine of Wands -
    Ten of Wands -
    Princess of Wands -
    Knight of Wands - Thundercats
    Queen of Wands -
    King of Wands - Milk of Amnesia

Swords
    Ace of Swords -
    Two of Swords -
    Three of Swords -
    Four of Swords -
    Five of Swords -
    Six of Swords -
    Seven of Swords -
    Eight of Swords -
    Nine of Swords -
    Ten of Swords -
    Princess of Swords -
    Knight of Swords - Bight Young Mutations
    Queen of Swords - Messzi Scruffz, Thundercats
    King of Swords - Messzi Scruffz

Cups
    Ace of Cups -
    Two of Cups -
    Three of Cups -
    Four of Cups -
    Five of Cups -
    Six of Cups -
    Seven of Cups -
    Eight of Cups -
    Nine of Cups -
    Ten of Cups -
    Princess of Cups -
    Knight of Cups -
    Queen of Cups -
    King of Cups -

Pentacles
    Ace of Pentacles -
    Two of Pentacles -
    Three of Pentacles -
    Four of Pentacles -
    Five of Pentacles -
    Six of Pentacles -
    Seven of Pentacles -
    Eight of Pentacles -
    Nine of Pentacles -
    Ten of Pentacles -
    Princess of Pentacles - Exquisite Corpse
    Knight of Pentacles -
    Queen of Pentacles -
    King of Pentacles -

Thanks
    The theme is out !!!

Ok, I wanted to post a blanket shot-gun call to get some good themes for the team, but I won't know what you guys want to draw... Here are my personnal choices :

1-Ace of Swords
    2-Death
    3-Judgment
    4-The Devil

I'm gona call Ace of Swords and Judgment on the forum (I don't mind switching cards with any of you guys later though, as long as our team gets some good cards )

***edit = I also asked for Death for the team (I don't know if it will go through as I didn't ask it for myself), because it seemed like a cool card (although maybe a bit generic) and there was only one spot left on the card (unless I missed a post on the forum and then there wouldn't be any spots left on the Death Card).

-It'll be easy to trade it with another team after I reckon if you guys don't want it- Come on: Death is the Ace of Spades !!! That's MEEE hehe if no one wants it I'll take it, like I said as long as the team has a good pool of cards I'm happy.***
    Last edited by Rambozo; December 26th, 2009 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks
    Hey all, I'm going to take my helmet's sake and pick up the Ace of Cups. I'm also going to go ahead and reserve the other aces too. Better safe than sorry, if you guys don't want to do that we can always pick something else. However, what I was thinking we could do is everyone pick up the ace of what suit they are (Nic swords, Tommoy wands, B-man pentacles, Me cups) and then pick a major card to do, 4 majors and 4 minor (aces). The major cards are a bit easier seeing as they are very figurative so that's pretty self explanatory. If you read the descriptions of the Aces though they are a bit more ambiguous, in fact they aren't represented by people at all and are more about themes. Maybe we could work together to think about a way to link all the aces together either design wise or character wise I don't know, but be free to interrupt our individual suits. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by t i m; December 26th, 2009 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks
    Haha, if you get all the Aces your team name will really work well Looking forward to seeing your kickass work!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yup, let's go for the ace's.

Other favorites are Fool, Strength, hanged man and tower.

Nightblue, I'll be watching you cos you can kick some serious ass too.
    Last edited by Tommoy; December 26th, 2009 at 07:26 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tommoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 850 Posts
    the topic must be an ace in the hole for you guy.

Thanks
    Tim : I was hoping the team would go with an ace each so I quite agree I’m not sure how the cup and sword and all of those translate into “colour” cards (spades/hearts etc.) but I reckon this is quite a cool coincidence hehe

Daestwen says it’s ok to request a card-swap later on so we can always change later if need be, although I’ld say it’ld be better to make up our minds early and give us time to think about this. So I’ld go ahead and reserve one of the major cards ASAP guys

Like I said I’ve already asked for Judgment and Death, so does anyone want to tackle either of these ? I might like to toy around with the Devil or the Hanged-man as well, and I also thought I might like to interpret the Tower as a character Tommoy, so I’ld be happy if you end up choosing to do one of those two last ones hehe

What do you reckon : I figure it would be cool to work collectively on all the concepts, bounce ideas, correct elements in the WIPs etc. even though we’ld each paint our final versions of our 2 cards separately. Suggestions ?

Raoul : Let's hope you're right ! It’s almost like, a case of divinaAaAation ooouu spooky haha

Thanks
    I’m afraid I can’t do much offa the computer I’m on for the time being. I also don’t know much about this Tarot hocus-pocus, so I figured I’ld take the time to research these cards we’ve got going so far. Figured I’ld post the info here, maybe some of this will be good for us. Of course we have to design characters, but some of the symbolism might help give us direction.

I don’t know how spot on this stuff is, like I said I’m not much of a mysticist myself so this is all new to me. Alright, so, I copied some info on these aces of ours offa the net. Here’s the low down :

The Minor Arcana :
    Brings us clarity and definition. These cards are the supportive role-players to the prime archetypes of the Major Arcana. The stage, setting, and supportive actors in our readings; these cards flesh out the big story of what’s going on in our interpretive experiences.
    Each suit tells a story within the elemental/psychological realm of that suit. For instance, the Minor Arcana suit of cups tell the story of its element, water which deals with the realm of emotions.

Wands : Fire, Spirit
    Pentacles : Earth, Physical
    Swords : Air, Thought
    Cups : Water, Emotions

Aces in the Tarot deck indicate new beginnings. They are also power cards, and rank high in the trumping factor in a reading, their power weighing in evenly with Major Arcana cards.

----------

ACE OF WANDS

Key Words:
    Passion, Direction, Ignition, Expansion, Initiation, Creativity, Energization, Resourcefulness

The ace of wands meaning deals with high volume energies bursting forth in assertive confidence. Those who pull this card in a reading are in for an incredible adventure. This card marks the beginning of a new direction - particulary in matters of creativity.

The ace of wands also reminds us of the creative control we have in our lives. Specifically when we look at the card, we note the hand holding the out a rod symbolizing our passion. This is indicative of our ability to take hold of our desires and allow that passion to fuel us up to reach our goals.

When in a reversed or in a position of conflict, this card may be a message that you are letting your wants or desires control you and it's time to get a better handle on your emotions.

The beauty of this card stands out loud and clear. It is a beacon amongst the Tarot pantheon, ever holding its light bright for all to see the way to clarity. As such, the ace of wands meaning often deals with creative insight. Many times this card shows up after the querent has gone through a period of murky waters or a time of stagnation in which he/she seemed to be "stuck." Hence the symbolism of the flame thrust out of the thick, obscuring clouds. A promise of motion, direction, and positive energy building to a delightful result.

This card is calls loudest to artists, visionaries, entrepreneurs, and those seeking to set out on a new creative path. To them, it is the "green light" card - a sign of positive encouragement, a signal to go for gusto! in their endeavors.

Key symbols to the ace of wands meanings:

Clouds: Symbol meaning of clouds deal with ambiguity, mystery, and things hidden. Most renditions of this card depict a hand holding a flaming torch thrust out suddenly from the clouds. This is symbolic of our ideas or energy coming out of the hidden places of our psyche and into the light of day. Clouds often deal with hidden agendas that might be keeping us in a holding pattern. They may also indicate underlying beliefs that hold us back from our being our brightest selves.

Rivers: River symbol meanings deal with motion, direction, and the flow of our thoughts as well as our lives. When the river in the ace of wands flows into our psychic vision it is a message that we must consider the direction we are taking in our lives.

Mountains: Symbol meanings of mountains deal with challenges, acquisition, accomplishment and aspirations. Mountains are a symbolic allegory for us in that as we climb them, each step brings us closer to our highest point. This highest point, the top of the mountain, can be a spiritual goal, physical goal, or anything else that we aspire to reach. The mountain is unbending, and inflexible. This makes it a reminder that only we can change how we deal with challenges (because the mountain certainly isn't going to change for us). This being the case, we can embrace the lessons we gain as we take on the challenge of the mountain. We can also rest assured that the peak will always be there as we aspire ever higher to our desired results.

The ace of wands meaning is all about taking our internal creative fire in hand and holding it out far all the world to see. Now is our time to spread our warmth, passion, and vision to others. Now is our time to shine as beacons unto the world.

----------

ACE OF PENTACLES

Key Words :
    Reward, Safety, Grounded, Fresh Start, Improved Status, New Responsibility

The ace of pentacles meaning pertains to new buds of opportunities awaiting you in areas of money, health, career, material gain, and other areas of practical matters. In matters of love and relationships, the ace of pentacles meaning indicates stability, increased trust, and new/stronger bonds made in an existing relationship.

Key symbols pertaining to the ace of pentacles meaning:

Hand: We see this symbol in all the aces, and in each one the hand represent a slightly different meaning. In the case of pentacles, the hand is symbolic of generosity. It is a reminder that in order to get what we want (in this case: health, material gain) we must also give. To only receive without giving is a violation of natural law, and may be our demise.

Rose: In the Morgan-Greer rendition the rose is stands out and is an integral aspect of the ace of pentacles meaning. A long-standing symbol of purity, promise, and beauty. The rose symbol meanings deal with the promise of new beginnings and hope. We must also take the thorns into consideration - with the promise of new hope, we may have to endure a few stinging thorns (painful ordeals) along the way.

Clouds: In relation to the ace of pentacles meaning, clouds are symbolic of allowing material gain and positive health into our lives after enduring a time of uncertainty. Clouds in this card are also symbolic of gifts bestowed upon us from seemingly out of nowhere. This is a reminder that we should rejoice in not only what we have, but what is right around the corner too.

Granted, the ace of pentacles meaning is about gaining the physical means in our lives we desire, and as such it is a very promising card in our spreads. The ace of pentacles meaning reminds us that we are human, and sometimes it takes work to get what we want. This card also reminds us that we must be flexible and keep ourselves in a positive state of allowing in order to receive the material gifts available to us.

----------

ACE OF SWORDS :

Key Words :
    Focus, Force, Clarity, Vision, Insight, Intensity

The ace of swords card meaning has to do with aligning yourself. Visually, this card is clearly making a statement of solidarity. When we see the strength of that sword standing erect in the center of this card, there is no doubt in our mind that we must focus upon the issues at hand (indicated by surrounding cards) and make our stand.

Often the ace of swords Tarot card meaning deals with gaining clarity in our lives after a long bout of disillusionment. Often this card appears in matters of love when the ties need to be cut in a relationship. This is particularly the case in one-sided relationships where the partner requires more of attention than you.

This confirms the ace of swords meaning as this card signals its beaming light to you. This card cries out "this is your time, the focus is on you!" But what kind of focus?

The suite of swords in a Tarot deck deals with thoughts, and awareness. They've also been identified as symbols of challenges or conflict in our lives. The ace of swords Tarot card meaning is symbolic of uncovering a new way of thinking. Or, cutting away at some old thought to make way for a brighter perspective.

More specifically, the ace of swords is a call to stop fooling ourselves and look into the crux of the matters of our soul. The ace of swords is bright and brassy. There is no room for excuses with this card, and it demands full honesty of the querent in a reading. This means that new projects, ideas, thoughts, or relationships are on the horizon. Due to the sharp nature of this card, you had better be mindful and clear about your intentions first before starting these new ventures.

Key symbols pertaining to the ace of swords meanings:

Crown: Yes, we might initially think of royalty or nobility when considering the symbolic meaning of crowns. But consider where the crown rests, on one's head of course. Consequently, the crown in the ace of swords is a symbol of thought. Specifically, the clarity and force behind our thoughts. Use this visual image to slice through all the distracting thoughts you may have about an issue and point your mind squarely to the core of the matter. This kind of keen focus will see your way to success.

Rose: The Morgan-Greer shows a red and white rose in the ace of swords card. These roses are symbolic of choices that we make. We can either chose to see our lot in life as a work of beauty, or we can focus on the thorns and pain. The rose on this card also symbolizes the delicate process of our thought. Meaning, just as a gardener tenderly cards of a rose to assure continually beautiful blossoms, so too must we take responsibility to nurture our thoughts to insure positive outcomes.

Clouds: Cloud symbol meanings in this card indicate confusion and distraction. We notice the image of the sword victoriously rising above the cloying clouds in seek of the highest point of inspiration. This is a visual message to us that we must rise above the chatter (nay sayers, conflict, media, negativity) and aspire to our own greatest thoughts in order to make our way to mental clarity and success.

Just from these few and simple symbols we can see a pattern of understanding: When we work towards clarity of thoughts, and choose the proper thoughts for our purpose, we reach the epitome of our goals, obtaining our crowning achievements.

----------

ACE OF CUPS

Key Words:
    Love, Peace, Patience, Harmony, Assurance, Tranquility, Compassion, Acceptance

Visually, this card is undeniably potent. I particularly gravitate to the Thoth rendition of this card because it shows prominent emanations of energy spanning out in a web of connectivity. This card illustration reminds me of the power that love has over all things.
    Yes, if you are wanting hard and fast ace of cups meanings, most certainly it is a card symbolizing love as well as a signal of new relationships beginning (aces signifying new beginnings), but it's much more than that.

This card is a sign of blessing. A blessing that assures us if we hold ourselves (our thoughts, feelings, body, etc) in a place of love there is no end to the beauty we may allow to flow into our lives.

The ace of cups is a message for us to start at the place of love. Whatever our intent, need, desire, direction may be; if we initiate your action from the starting point of love and compassion then our result will be blessed.

Key symbols to the ace of cups meanings:

Dove: The dove is a common spiritual icon with symbol meanings indicating hope, purity, aspiration, and ascension. In Greco-Roman mythology, the dove is a sacred creature to Aphrodite/Venus, and therefore is a powerful symbol of love. Featured on the ace of cups, it is a promising symbol. Note the dove (in the Rider-Waite version) is pointing down. This is a second-pass message indicating: "whatever goes up, must come down." In other words, fly high, but ground yourself first

Water: Water is a symbol of emotion and subconscious. Water also symbolizes purity, cleansing, and rebirth. It is associated with the moon too which causes its symbolism to lean towards femininity. This is in line with the core ace of cups meanings that deal with love and compassion. Although males are surely just as capable of love as women are - human history primarily hands over the softer, nurturing, compassionate concepts of love to women. There is further connection here because many First People (ancient cultures, primitive man) believe the earth was formed from a watery womb. Here we are seeing water as a symbol of love rebirth and all the other associations that go along with these.

Lotus:Traditionally, the symbolic meaning of lotus deals with ascension. When we see the lotus unfolding its petals beautifully in the midst of inky, murky soils we can liken ourselves unfolding as divine beings emerging out of unclear situations or states of consciousness. Simply put, the lotus in the ace of cups Tarot card tells us there is beauty in all things as long as we have the inner eyes to select only the beauty among us.

These are powerful symbols, and this is an incredibly potent card. In a reading this card indicates new sparks of passion are being lit up in your life. It also tells the querent to start all endeavors from a place of love, and the results will always be blessed.
    We can also see this card as a sign of renewal, rebirth, or starting over.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rambozo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice post Nic! I appreciate the research into the cards.

So I'm stuck awake with so many thoughts bouncing around my brain. Sensory overload, in a good way, trying to wrap my head around the topic.

I think we are pretty much in agreement that we are all doing the aces for our minor arcana. So thinking about what the ace represents. The Trump card, a card which overpowers all the other minor arcana. In terms of characters, if the king, queen, page, are going to be depicted by human figures, it would seem that the Ace would have to have divine qualities. A figure that is above human status. A god, if you will. Remember Daestwan wants us to stick pretty close to the Rider-Waite interpretation, so be sure to check out the image that is associated with your card in that deck, and check out the symbols/meanings etc. All I'm really saying is that if our cards were laid next to the other minor arcana (king, seven, princess, etc.) without knowing our card we have to strive to make the viewer instantly recognize the power (not necessarily strength, maybe emotional, intellectual or scale) of our character, and realize all other characters within that suit are subservient. I think that's the mindset we should go into designing our "Aces"

Oooh this is going to be fun!

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast