Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Team ChoW III - Ace Holes

Thanks
    I'm still in the "thinking" phase I guess, haven't actually gotten that much into questioning the visuals of anything yet Guess that would account for a lot of verbals on my part for this post heheh Still, at here's some small input !

Tom : no no she obviously communicates with people you're right I just meant she doesn't necessarily have to do it verbally, like maybe it can be only with their minds or some sort of babble-fish like in the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy hehe. Or again something like the Vulcans where when she touches your forehead for instance then she and the human can communicate with each other. Or hey maybe she CAN talk in the end, just tryin' to see things slightly out of the ordinary .

I agree with your inner-shinning : just some reminder that maybe she really isn't human (or at least not a human at our state of evolution). I didn't particularly like the skeletal (creepier) aspect of my sketch so ya I think you're right. And having the clothes materialising around her, like they're a part of some projection, that's cool as well. That would work with the inner "glow" too, because her face would also be a projection most likely : something for our benefit, to make the interviewees feel safe.

Tim : ya I figured it was time I changed my avatar so I reckoned hey this is a good time to move ahead with that ! I agree with you and Tom about the skeleton. The brief doesn't say she's an alien though, nor an angel. But that she "seems to represent a multi-dimensional population"... That could mean, well, just about anything, specially when you factor in the "seems to" as that would infer interpretation on the part of humans I guess. But regardless, I do agree that the bones probably wouldn't make for a good visual. Maybe something more ghostly, ethereal would be more appropriate.

I mentioned this just above but for my money you're definitely right about this character putting on some facade of a 30 year old woman to make "us" more comfortable. So I think in that optic she should look all lovey-dovey to a certain extent (maybe childish ? or motherly ?) but somehow have some visual reminder telling us : hey look, somethin's awry here, she ain't quite "right" you know ? But nothing blatant like.

Also, your galaxy idea got me thinkin' on a basic scenario (to be developed/altered/trashed) : This surveyor is the last human being alive, from far far into the future. And she has a glowy bit inside of her head or torso or whatever, which is the last shard left of earth, our planet having been destroyed by, I dunno say some sort of human physics experiment gone-wrong in which the earth implodes and compacts into this golf-ball sized chunk of energy-matter energeon anit-matter dilythium something something...

Now this advanced (almost alien) human comes back to the past, and she records all the information available to her either a) as a way to figure out how to stop the earth from being destroyed in her time, either b) as an a final testament to a race that will eventually die out with her, a sort of posthumous encyclopaedia of humanity to be stored in that earth-shard she carries. A little like the golden plate we sent up with voyager : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_Golden_Record
    (Björn, this would also tie in with your "holding the world in her hands" idea, the remains of earth being lodged in between her lungs or something)

Björn : I'm gona try and get a few loose sketches done as well. Get a few bad ideas out of the way, maybe stumble on something cool by accident Hope you're not too sick dude!

---
    Bahhh, too much babbling, not enough drawing ! I'll make sure and have some shots to post next time I decide to start writing a novel... haha
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Björn, get well soon mate.

Tim, I like your sketch but she looks a bit too evil I think. The galaxy surrounding her looks great, is it possible to let her glow more from inside her body.

Nic, I've red your novel, good idea of her being the last human.

I've put up a moodboard because I can't get the picture clear, maybe this helps.
    On my own sketch, I think its too much angel/god like.

Thanks
    Tommoy : definitely getting more of that ghostly feeling from that pic. I agree it might seem a little too godlike though, But the mood from the pic got me going. From there I thought I'ld try out an idea see where it got me. Keep the "galaxy ghost" aspect of her, transparent with the floating "stars" around her as with Tim's. Except I figured I'ld add something in the background, something more "techno" to design. Not sure it's a good idea but I thought I'ld draw up something loose to help make up my mind.

Alright, basically the surveyor's physical body is trapped in some sort of time capsule, spaceship, something like that, and she projects the ghost out from her mind, or with the help of some fancy transmographier or something. So the ghost is a PART of the surveyor, it IS the surveyor in essence only not in physical shape I suppose.

Glad you liked the last-human pitch Everyone else on board with this ? We honestly don't NEED a story I suppose, I just find it helps me get to thinkin' of the "why" behind things if we do.

Anyway, so this sketch is the moment where the projection begins to form, out from the laying body of the physical surveyor, maybe have energy particles or "stars" coming out from her or swirling in to her core, maybe materialising a part of the ghost ?

I'll have another sketch/idea soon. Should we establish a cut-off date ? Like from this day forward we concentrate on refining the render/detailing of the pic ?

Thanks
    Whattup guys!

Nic I really like that idea! I took your sketch and kinda expounded on it. I apologize for the sloppiness, but I think it gets the point across. We need to incorporate the interviewing aspect but at the same time get our own point across of host/ghost. I tackled this by doing kind of a comic montage type thing. Now I'm terrible at these sort of things so if any of you are good at layouts, split scene composition, speak up! So anyway I thought we could show her "body" appearing in front of someone beginning her interview. The person in the foreground is clearly shocked, "wtf. naked ghost chick". We could have the ghost like Tommoy's sketch very ethereal flowing hair etc. Finally a scene back in her mothership/homeworld whatever where she's connected to a bunch of techno stuff. Ok, so it's a bit Avatar-esque but whatever I like it. Feel free to expand on my sketch, rearrange stuff, or do your own based on where we are headed...it's all good!

Oh, and I know we aren't going this way, but I thought some more could have been done with my original surveyor piece. I pushed it a bit further wasn't digging the "scary face". Invested some time up there. Just wanted to share the finished result with ya'll..
    Last edited by t i m; December 16th, 2009 at 11:45 PM.

Thanks
    Hey Guys, a bit late but here's a sketch. I liked Nic's way of approaching it so I've tried something similar. The last human alive could easily be an alien too, or of course just a beautiful woman (two nude chicks=win)

Tim, your nicely done sketch explains the whole story but I think it's gonna be tough too get all of this in a solid design.

I don't know if you guys have time this weekend to work on it some more, maybe we could get a more definite design on sunday.
    Last edited by Tommoy; December 18th, 2009 at 12:20 PM.

Thanks
    Tommoy you nailed it! Also looking at it now, you are definitely right, my idea wouldn't work it's way too busy. So you and Nic are the right track with your designs, keep going!

Thanks
    **Aww man, I've just got news today that this expo I had lined-up in some museum in Italy bailed on me... Pretty bummed out now, been planning on that for months now...**

Tim : I would love to do a comic version I'm into comics quite a bit myself, but I don't think ChoW would be the best place to do this ? I don't believe there are any rules against this so I wouldn't put my hand in the fire over it, but the fact that they have the PoWs (Panel of the Week) tends to point in that direction in my opinion.

Also, the masked version of your "cloudy-surveyor" looks much better, less demonic this way. It's still a little creepy though hehe Then again I figure a tare in space-time WOULD be scary wouldn't it

It's nice to see we seem to be agreeing on things, hopefully this is a good omen for the Team ChoW to come!

Tommoy : I didn't have much of a direction with the "room" when I was sketching mine out, but I like this kind of Egyptian design you've got going, kinda like a sarcophagus : great call, I like it. The pyramid might be a little to "Stargate" for me, but the Egyptian vibe is definitely a good idea I think . And ya I too would like for the physical surveyor to be a little alien-like (still very human though, it's just centuries/millennia of evolution are bound to have some sort of an impact) or at least much older than the 30 year-old projection : I think that visual helps to explain what is going on.

B-man! I hope you're doin' better with your health dude. Remember, drink plenty of fluides

On my part looks like I'm going to a show out of town on Saturday, so I won't be able to get much work done before Sunday evening (drivin' back Sunday I reckon). I'll try and get something done and post it here before I leave on Saturday, that way I'll have put in an extra contribution before I disappear for a while hehe The deadline ins Monday at 5:00 so if anything I can spend Monday afternoon adding final details and such.

Hmm, which brings the question : can we ENTER in ChoW as a team ? I don't think so, but it would be fun to at least post a final result in the forum, even if we don't make it to poll.

Thanks
    Tim, don't know if we nailed it yet, but time is running out on us so we have to take the next step.

If you guys have time for it we could devide the drawing into three parts, one does the hardware and room, one the alien/human and one does the surveyor projection.

For example, Tim does the projection (something like your galaxy girl, but with a more defined body), Nic, you do the human/alien and I will take care of the environment and the chair. On monday one or each of us can pick up the elements and make it into one piece. Of course this could go totally wrong but were just testing ourselves at this moment. Let me know if this is okay.

Of course Björn, if jou are feeling better jump in.

Nic, we don't necessarily have to post it but if any of you would like to it's fine by me.

Thanks
    Sounds good Tommoy, I'll post some WIP's soon of the projection. Don't know if Nic will be able to get his done, being out of town and all. B-man hope you're feeling better bro!

Thanks
    Hmmmm, I'm not sure this is gona work. We would need a set camera angle, background and assigned character positions in relation to each other for us to be able to work on this separately (and then make sure all the lighting sources work together once we've pieced this collage). Very hard to tie elements in from 3 separate sources I'ld imagine (it's not like we're simply standing 2 characters up next to each other here with a misc. background hehe).

We should have a "skeleton" sketch, with all of the elements in place if we're gona work this way, and I think even this will require a little reworking "magic" to piece things together properly in the end.

Alright I'm game, I'm willing to give it a shot, at least explore the process. I'll try and get some "skeleton" done by tomorrow before I leave so we can at least have a common view-angle going, and maybe limit out some zones of intervention. If anyone else would like to do the same it's all good, or simply tweak this part of the perspective or move this "character" a little more to the left etc. So that we can arrive at a consensus by mid-Sunday and give us one last day to tune detailing.

Thanks
    Nic, you're absolutely right about camera angle, light source and maybe color pallet. Of course we can tweak a lot but if it all doesn't fit it would be a waist. I'll wait for your skeleton sketch. By the way, if one of would rather do the environment its fine by me

Thanks
    Both you guys bring up really good points. It certainly will be tough to meld all these styles/colors/perspectives together. But so what, It should be fun to try and the result should be interesting! That being said, here's the projection pose I have been working on gives you guys an idea of the direction i'm going in. I'm just fleshing out the values as of now, working on relationships etc. But I imagine she'll be coming out of a cloud of something maybe be transparent, blue'is in color? Not sure yet, I'll post more as it comes.

Thanks
    Alright, wanted to get this out there. Plus I think it's better if I don't put to much info on it. Well, ok what I thought was necessary : basic "points de fuites" they call 'em in French, the "perspective reference horizons" maybe in English ? A general idea of where the characters are, and 3 different light sources (the most intense being the general room light, then the helmet/techno light and third the "ghost" light).

I'm thinkin' about plugging the physical surveyor right into the sarcophogus-bed, have a techno/breathing/brainscan helmet encase her in it, maybe with some tubes or sensors coming across her chest etc. Nothing apocalyptic though, something a little more sleek is what I have in mind.

That being said, I reckon that means I should probably do the bed along with the surveyor then ? I don't know if you had originally included it into the "background" Tom ?

Oh yes, I took Tim's latest "ghost" and simply twisted it slightly with "distortion" in Photoshop to have her fit the perspective better. Wanted to have more of a plunging view, bring the edge of the bed in closer to the viewer : give me more of a chance to illustrate the laying-body.

Again, if you feel we should change the perspective that's fine by me, what's important is that we all agree on a "view" before we start on our separate ways. I think a horizontal frame might be better on this one (?), be able to tighten in more on the characters maybe. But in any case this would be up to you Tom seein' as how you're Background man hehe

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast