Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks

Ace of Wands update

Will get this more polished (when I get chance / update my wacom drivers for Windows 7. Grrrr!!!). Am prefering the composition already, just got bogged down with the face / hair this lunchtime.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Great face, great pose!

Nine of Wands sketch - not sure about the clothes yet, want to make her seem out of the same world as your Ace. Will keep sketching

Thanks
    Cool sketch, though my world could bend to your ideas - not sure on the background as yet but I think it's important to get the main card symbols in somewhere. I was even thinking of making the background completely clouded and having the mountain & river as patterns for the flowing clothing. Not sure yet, open to ideas. I was also thinking about the wand / staff. I imagine a blend of traditional fantasy with the sci-fi lance from the Predator comics / films. Your sketch has got me thinking more medieval halberd. Hmmm... any more thoughts?

Thanks
    I can't find much about the Wands other than they're about creation, summer and fire.. the kind of impressive background you have going should work well I think? Something majestic. Maybe have the mountain range composed less centrally, in a kind of V arrangement around the figure if you get what I mean.

The 9 of Wands is a warrior so it might make sense if your ace had a wand of a different design. I was thinking about an elaborate spear or halberd, but not so elaborate as not to be practical.. I imagine yours would be more ceremonial looking and less used for stabbing? haha

Thanks
    I'll have a play with the mountains today. Am liking the inverted 'V' shape idea as a triangular composition always looks stronger, and will push the character forward more.

Good ideas on the wands, also. I think something extravagent and gilded will look more fitting for the Ace. You may find something that inspires you amongst old Japanese spears for the Nine. They certainly knew how to make weapons, and I've seen amazingly ornate katanas / shaolin spades in the past.

Thanks
    Wellll bad news, my hard drive died last night. I ordered another today but when I'll get it and when I'll be set up I can't say. I've got a check disk going on mine right now and it seems rather fucked. It's no big deal though it's not like I'm losing all my recent work including my portfolio I was meant to send to a games company today because it is the deadline or anything like that, oh no!

:|

Thanks
    Argh! That's... pretty shitty!

Thanks
    Ugh totally. My harddrive is in my friends PC and I'veb eena ble to back up everything important which isn't my folio - that;s the only folder that is corrupted it seems :| lost the psds, jpgs and the zip file I had ready to send last night! Wooo. BUT the few sketches i've done for team chow are fine!

also I'm ill and my ice cream melted when our freezer broke

worst day for liz everrr

Thanks
    Jesus... that's as bad as it gets really. Melted Ice cream?! Urgh!

Sorry, not good at being serious when supposed to be. I'm sure you've torn all hair out and are well on the way to making the best of some effin bad-luck. Cannot help, but will hear your pain should you need to rant!

~Slayer

Thanks
    Liz, I sent you an email. Hope you get back online soon!

thegrayslayer, your ace of wands is looking pretty damn awesome! Love her fire hair and well rendered face! Her pose is a bit unsure though. Doesn't make her seem too confident in my opinion, but it's definitely a huge improvement over the last sketch. I think it would look better if you changed the pose to where she confidently grasps the wand. As if she is of a royal descent.

As for the other wasted guy who looks like he lost the love of his life. Not much to critique except he needs clothes, haha. He could possibly come from a noble family too which would make his fashion sense quiet intricate. A hat would suit him perfectly!

This is what I have so far. Got a bit too carried away on the Devil last night, leaving not a lot of time to sketch the other.
    Planning on detailing much that bull creature thing to make it look vicious and will add some wear and tear to the reaper's armor. Don't know about the background yet. Thought it would be fun to include the devil there, as if the reaper rode out to finish off that one guy, but the devil already tore his head off...haha, so twisted. Let me know what you both think.

Thanks
    AG, that devil is awesome. So sinister and menacing (lol minister), I love it. I'm really excited to see where your death is going too, looks badass!

Greyslayer: I like your comp, LOVE the hair!! I'm glad I didn't decide to go with fire hair with my wands, hahhaa! She seems like she's lacking a little mass, unless you intended her to be skinny. I feel like she should have more body under that right (our left) boob than she already does...but anyway, I could be wrong. I love it guys!
    Team Chow III Presents:
    THE POKEMONGRELS!

Thanks
    Jeez you guys rock, I'm letting the side down!

I'm pretty much up and running now, gonna get down to business!

Thanks
    progress, probably

Thanks
    She looks great so far. Love the composition and her expression. Worn out, but has high will power to live!
    You might want to fix her proportions though. Her head should be bigger thus making the neck shorter and her knee on her left leg has to be positioned higher since it's on the same plane as the other knee of the leg that is more in the foreground.
    Also some more details on her clothes wouldn't hurt. Something of this sort could be used as inspiration since she has that chinese warrior feel to her.

http://www.chinesemoods.com/Chinese_...9wg-p-552.html
    http://www.prettystreet.com/images/c...ding-ps305.jpg

Thanks
    Morning team!

AG. Nice start on the Devil, really reminds me of Calibos from the original Clash of the Titans movie. I'm wondering if you could push the bestial a bit more? I mean, have him more haunched over, rather than being so 'straight-up-and-down' (if you take my meaning. Liking the design of him already though. I imagined the bull being larger to carry Death around, can tell already though that the way you light both these pieces could create very powerfully dark cards. Look forward to progress.

Liz. Hope you're well on the way to full recovery. Regarding your hard drive I mean, nasty business. Your warrior is taking shape, I'd probably agree with AG.'s advice with proportions but they're almost there. Definitely is a warrior that looks like she's seen some action (or in mid-battle perhaps).

Background to my Ace is more polished now. I aim to flesh her out (literally) today with some skin tones and will update later.

Looking good, Porkers.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast