Need help desperately!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Need help desperately!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need help desperately!

Hey guys!
    I'm new to this site and was hoping I could get some advice on my tough little situation

I went to university for 2 years and took business which I hated more than anything since in high school I was too scared to apply to art schools because I didn't think I was good enough, even though I was told otherwise.

I got lost in the partying and new lifestyle of living alone and stopped drawing/ painting... meaning I haven't done much drawing/ painting and have no recent pieces of work for a portfolio.
    After the first 2 years I decided to fuck business and just go after what I should have done at the beginning so I applied to 3 schools in Toronto... OCAD, York, and Ryerson each asking for a portfolio (of course).

So, I've been trying to create pieces and get back into the swing of things but I found that I haven't been drawing as well as I used to!

I'm beginning to freak out since portfolio interview time is very soon and I was wondering if someone could give me any advice on where to start!

any help would be amazing!

yours truly,
    desperate wannabe art student,
    Jess

ps. Sorry for the long message!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Uh...Do the work? What else is there to say?

Follow what the school(s) want out of you.

Zazerzs is offline ....bing me the bore worms Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Time to knock off the rust and get drawing.

Go back to basics for a bit work on perspective, anatomy studies do a self portrait, ect and of course draw draw draw

once you get back into the habit hopefully you'll see the improvement and not feel so overwhelmed.

So start a sketchbook and get to posting! It will help keep you motivated as well.

Goodluck

"Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've already been working on developing my sketchbook lol so hopefully it'll bring everything back.

I'll definitely post when I get things going!

It's crazy how quick you can get responses on this site lol

thanx a ton!

Zazerzs is offline ....bing me the bore worms Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Post em now so when you get better in a week people will be like oooooh you're improving soo much

"Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm...this may be out of line...wherever the lines are, whatever they are, I'm not sure...

But why did you apply to those schools and only those schools? Is there something special about them specifically?

I personally, have never been to a college of my own. I've lived near them my whole life, my parents teach at them. And I've sat in at some classes, courtesy of having known the teachers off and on. But if there's one thing I've come to learn, it is that most colleges really don't give a damn they just want your money. If you can pay, well then there you go.

Something to think about: Based off of my present knowledgebase, I would tell you that where you get your degree from really isn't going to matter. When you're applying for a job in the art world, your portfolio is what matters. And if you have a degree, great, that's all well and good it might help you out a bit but nobody's going to give you special props or chances because your degree came from a certain school. It's just a degree.

In addition, I'll also say, and this may be singularly my opinion who knows - but what you get out of your schooling, will be whatever YOU put into it. The school itself is for the degree, and some of the connections, the environment, really. But how you improve as an artist is going to be up to you. All schools have good teachers and bad teachers, and as with all schools - whether or not you walk away with the skills you need will be entirely your doing.

If your going to go to school, do the bare minimum for the degree, and piss off the rest of the time well then you'll be shit out of luck. But if you go to college, any college, and you put your heart and soul into teaching yourself everything that you can, that's where the real learning comes from.

Which, granted, may very well be the same amount of learning you could've done on your own. You'll be doing a good portion of it on your own either way, like I said, college is largely the "environment" and the sheet of paper.

As a result, I suppose I would simply say: If you're having issue now, you'll have the same issue in school. You won't magically get good thereafter just because your they accept whatever you have as a portfolio.

You're in the same boat now as you would be if you were attending classes. You just need to sit down, analyze yourself, think of cool ideas, and draw them. And if they suck, tell yourself they suck, swallow your pride, and try again. Rinse, repeat.

Good luck to you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessdibs View Post

So, I've been trying to create pieces and get back into the swing of things but I found that I haven't been drawing as well as I used to!
    What did you expect? You are rusty, it's nothing to freak out about. Besides do you absolute best and work hard, the only advice I have is to really investigate the schools you are applying to and what kind of art they really cater to and adjust your portfolio accordingly or even look elsewhere. Make sure the schools you are looking at will actually go with what you are hoping to learn or else you could hate art school just as much as you disliked business school.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you are serious about a career in illustration, I suggest you don't bother going to York. They accept almost everyone and they offer a pretty shite Fine arts degree where you won't be taught any fundamentals.
    Don't know about Ryerson 'cause when I was applying they didn't have any illustration program.
    OCAD and Sheridan would be places to apply to, but since we haven't seen your stuff we don't know what to tell you.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.