Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

response to PMs

Please draw but don't go crazy on the size or the details right now.

There is a bad thing about the dragon idea. Remember that these are supposed to be cards, therefore the final image size will be small. If we make a big dragon the king will disappear in the design of the card... it will instead look like the dragon of pentacles with a small figure on the top which may/not be recognizable as a king.

At this stage I'm all for trying different ideas.

One of the things which came to mind earlier today is to perhaps include a theme in all of our cards which would in some way or another symbolize torture. The Ace of cups already looks chained in the designs I had. We could make the other figures for our cards mutilated and piereced/bound in some ways?

For example, the two of wands could be pierced by two spears through the chest. The king and queen of pentacles could be crucified?

Anyways, keep the discussion here and lets see the designs.

I think after discussing with Headhunter we will also use week 2 for ideas before we get working on the detailed pieces. Remember that we have plenty of time still and both headhunter and I can whip out detailed works quickly at this stage.

Niva's Links: Sketchbook | Eternal Seven Website
    Doomsday Dream Clan Artists: Clanlord | Headhunter
    Team CHOW III: Doomsday Dream Clan

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Headhunter your work is really impressive. Love your sketches. How long do you take for one of 'em? And do you render it out in black and white before colouring?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Fool

Hey guys,
    I have signed us up for one extra: "The Fool"

Here are some tarot images of the character:

Name:  The Fool 01.gif
Views: 2970
Size:  114.7 KB

Test description 1 from source of image: This goes double for the psychic world and highway driving, where people who are too sure of themselves are the most dangerous.

Description from 2nd source: With his possessions in a small bundle at the end of a stick, the fool travels to places unknown. So busy with daydreaming, he may just fall over the cliff. A small dog is either warning him or jaunting along with him. Fool is the card of infinite possibilities. He’s on his way to a new beginning but stop daydreaming and fantasizing and watch your step, lest you fall and end up looking the fool.

Also another example of a Priestess card:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Headhunter : sick dude. Specially diggin' the first batch of sketches, they all have sweet elements to 'em

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

!

Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    Headhunter your work is really impressive. Love your sketches. How long do you take for one of 'em? And do you render it out in black and white before colouring?
    Thanks mate! I don't know about the time but it's approximately 30-45 minutes. About the rendering it's not always b&w in first stage, it depends on how i feel in the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambozo View Post
    Headhunter : sick dude. Specially diggin' the first batch of sketches, they all have sweet elements to 'em
    Thanks! Just sketching basic ideas, i don't need to say it all with the first sketch.

Last edited by Headhunter; January 10th, 2010 at 09:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work from you guys. Niva, you have a point when suggesting a dragon could draw away attention from the main character being an ace, King or whatever. There are enough existing cards however with a character and animal combination that work fine so it should be possible. I think you're safe as long as the main focus is on the character.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello teamates and people who look at our works and comment! It is very useful, thank you!

Nick I went to details and I messed up some legs and lenghts of chests. I spent this day drawing King Of Pentacles on a dragon and I think The King may disappear if we draw the dragon in full size. I do like the idea about turtured characters but I am not too sure if the cards won't lose their aim. Because there are certain elements that we must take care of.

Ace Of Cups - The Ace of Cups shows is a symbol of possibility in the area of deep feelings, intimacy, attunement, compassion and love. In readings, it shows that a seed of emotional awareness has been planted in your life although you may not yet recognize it. When the seed sprouts, it could take almost any form. It might be an attraction, strong feeling, intuitive knowing, or sympathetic reaction. On the outside, it could be an offer, gift, opportunity, encounter or synchronistic event.

I would recommend you guys we start arranging some serious ideas. I like a lot Miro's variant of Four Of Wands - the wings, the the wands. The idea behind each one of them must be emphasised on the meaning of each card. If we draw each card "tirtured" where is the aim of Ace Of Cups or High Priestess. I also think that we should do 3 (King Of Pentacles, Four Of Wands, Two Of Wands) male and 3 (Ace Of Cups, High Priestess, Queen Of Pentacles) female characters.

Anyway here is my idea about the King. If you have something in mind we can develop the idea or leave it. Don't worry I can make other drawings .

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow great work here, you guy rock!

GL !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sick :(

Hey guys, I've been sick since Friday night and finding it real hard to push. I had such grand plans for this weekend and now it's almost over.

Tommoy: Thanks a lot man, actually I think it was the discussion in your thread that got me thinking that the dragon is not such a good idea for a major figure like the King. We'll see where we go from here.

I've a couple of other ideas for the two of wands. Here are the drafts:

Name:  Two-of-Wands---Drafts-3-and-4.jpg
Views: 1681
Size:  165.6 KB

More later hopefully!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daymn Clanlord, that's an awesome drawing!

Not sure that we can use it though... The dragon is too small compared to the figure imo. Also the character does not look like a King.

We need sketches, many, quick ones. It really is a shame you made this awesomely detailed drawing at this stage.

Here are a couple I just put together for the Fool and the High Priestess.

The Fool:

Name:  Fool-Draft-01.jpg
Views: 1745
Size:  107.1 KB

I wanted to make our fool not so foolish looking, but rather an imposing and twisted looking figure. I guess kind of inspiread by the Joker from Batman? So from the examples I gave above I guess the darkest one is the one I liked the best. I was thinking of making him look like a god on top of a hill with a painted sky behind him. Not sure about the chains yet but I through them in there because I'm really starting to get this theme going about chains and torture.

The Priestess:

Name:  Priestess-01.jpg
Views: 1720
Size:  137.1 KB

Speaking of torture, I decided to go for a dark version here again. More like the high priestess of suicide and self mutilation. She's stabbing herself with two cross type swords.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More Foolishness

Ok here's an update to the Fool.

Name:  Fool-Draft-02.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  177.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Nick!

No problem your sketches have some good ideas we will work on them more and push forward your ideas. I particularly like what Headhunter did with King Of Pentacles. Actually my initial idea lost during the process of the drawing and it came up totally different. Anyway let's look on the drawing like something which is done only for inspiration. We will not include it because I am not satisfied with it too .
    But I insist that we must take care of what is written about the cards in the main sources which I pointed out in the first page and use it. The character and all elements behind each must clearly symbolise a certain thought.

I will try to share my ideas about your characters here with quick sketches as soon as I finish with my obligitory work from school.

Keep drawing guys! - G

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Clanlord I've been reading a bit into the links you posted earlier. While I do think following what these links say it is probably ok to skip some of the aspects related to the info given there.

I've been talking to Headhunter about this. For example I'm not sure that the Four of Wands must actually have 4 wands shown in the picture. That being said if we can make a four arm woman holding 4 wands look good I'm all for it. Maybe the wands can be placed in the ground the character could be in the middle?

For the King I really like the dragon Headhunter painted, it seems to work.

One of the things we might consider is to do the dragon bounded similar to how Ring Wyrms were "collared" in Final Fantasy XII. Here are some images:

We can perhaps make the collar have a pentacle pattern within?

Then again, it could get really crowded...

Here is another push I made on the Priestess, colored her using the quick and dirty method but I spent more time on it then I should've.

Name:  Priestess-02.jpg
Views: 1639
Size:  263.0 KB

I think the only card design we've settled to has been the Ace of Cups. Clanlord if you can make 3 sketches of him then we can pick the best one for you to detail then I can start painting him perhaps?

Also Miro said he likes the Fool's design. Maybe you guys can post some variations of him? I kind of like the composition, was thinking of making the background full of chains, making it a hell type environment. He's not foolish at all though ... more like sinister evil.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Niva, I'll try to work over your fool's sketch. He needs to fit in the composition little bit more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, not sure you want it but I put the Fool Draft file on the ftp site. I still feel like ass but I think I'm getting a bit better now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello team-mates!

I am very happy actually because such artist like Miro gave such success and brought to our team people's attention with these initial sketches. The ideas, compositions and symbolism is just stunning at that stage of development. Nick, I think we should seriously consider helping him with some extra tips and ideas about four of wands digital WIP and other designs. I think they are very solid and we must try to built ideas over them. I feel so small before Miro that every idea in my mind I create I feel it totally meaningless and stupid.

Fast recoveryNick! We need you!

However, I will try to present my idea in a different way so you can think over it moreseriously. I will try to update soon!

--------------------------------------

The King of Pentacles
    Картата олицетворява храбростта и интелектуалната сила. Успех свързан с математиката. Инстикт за това кое е реално и кое не е.Радост от живота. Рядко значи и нетърпение.
    Male

The Queen of Pentacles
    Картата олицетворява трезвата мисъл, реализмът и свободата. Засилване на влечението на материалните ценности. Нужна е мярка.
    Female

Ace of Cups
    Картата е предшественик на изключителен шанс. Себереализация. Означава радост успех, любов към близките дори и еротична любов. За успеха е необходимо да се потрудим.
    Female

Two of Wands
    Картата смимволизира два персонажа. Едният е господарят, а другия страдащия човек. За да се измъкнем от тази ситуация трябва да сме почтени.
    Male

Four of Wands
    Картата разкрива период на спокойствие и мир. Излизане от оковите. Общуване. Развлечения. Радост. Връзка с другите хора.
    Male

The High Priestess (High Arcana)
    Тази карта олицетворява всички неосъзнати сили. Висшата жрица държи кючът към подсъзнанието. Тук логиката е по добре да се забрави и да се помисли за невъзможното, свръхестественото. Добре е да последваме своите мечти и да им се отдадем напълно, така ще се чувстваме най-добре.
    Female

The Fool (High Arcana)
    Картата символизира откритост, безгрижна игра, радост от малките детайли в живота.Също може да означава лекомислие, наивност. Друго значение на Глупака е хитър човек.
    Male

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - just made some changes over Niva's sketch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice Miro. Just the difference made me feel out of my boots of joy. You have really made it quick. Here are even faster sketches of designs and ideas. I am amazed how easy it is to draw small thumbnails like these. The ideas come up very quickly. I want to hear your opinion and then I will start doing the final sketch on which you are going to paint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok great updates guys.

Headhunter you're correct, your composition works much better imo. I do like the chain theme going on I had earlier though. I'd rather make him in a hellish type environment with chains and hooks hanging in the background, maybe stick one in the foreground too.

Clanlord thanks a bunch for finally doing some thumbs! This is what we need to visualize the different ideas and choose the best. The angle on the ace doesn't seem to work, I'd like to see the whole cup. Also not sure about the arms splitting. The High Priestess take is interesting, but I can't get enough of the image to really understand what's going on. The King looks like a badass knight, this is in a better direction than the previous version which was an emaciated priest type character on the dragon you posted above but perhaps too far in the armor direction. I do like the thumbnail though. The queen of pentacles is a neat layout, again not graspin enough image details though.

The two of wands is a great direction I think, not sure how it will fit in the fianl required image size though, we'd either have to chop the wands a bit or make the main figure really small. Hope I coverd all of them.

Here is another take on the Four of Wands based on the direction Miro took earlier. I made her eyes sown shut, as well as a huge cut across her torso which has been sown shut too. While this composition is really symmetric I think it does work for the type of image we're trying to get to. It has the four eyes and the four wands and arms.

Name:  Four-of-Wands-Draft-01.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  121.9 KB

I don't think the image shows enough detail to understand where I'm trying to go with it so I might stab a color version again.

Finally I'm feeling a bit better though the forecast of activities does not look too good. I might have to travel this weekend.

Ultimately I think we should make our final selections this weekend though. Maybe Friday if it's good for you guys?

I think we've settled on the Fool though as shown in the last image by Miro. Clanlord if you're looking to draw a full one start there. I also want to see more variations for the Ace of Cups from you then we can give some direction which one to blow up and detail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some shading

OK that sketch above was really horrible, this idea actually works IMO.

Right now the head is too small.

Also we can consider turning the head in profile to break up the symmetry?

Name:  Four-of-Wands-Draft-02.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  151.8 KB

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some really great ideas and compositions in here mates.These things can become killers.
    Keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure why you want it so bad to be in hellish environment. Try over this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon

kingkostas - Thank you very much for your frank comment.

Nick!
    I think my only aim by doing these was to nail down the main direction and not to take care about detailed armors but yes, they could have been better - sorry. When doing these a lot of ideas came to my head and just for seconds I drew all of them. The reason they are so small is that they are showing the main direction and silhuette of composition. The elemenst are in my head. Now I see how easy and convenient it is to do such thumbnail concepst and this is with your help Nick and Miro

I like a lot Miro's design of Four Of Wands and The Fool. After all you gave the idea about the fool Miro just changed him a bit - making him more organic and adding some extra shading and elements - I think the design is neat and we must continue to improve it on both cards. I will do several more concepts on Ace Of Cups and I will post soon. What do you think about The King Miro? If you say you like it I will start doing the final sketch this weekend of the queen and the king. I lead both the designs in some particular similarities. Do you think it is a good idea if they have helmets instead of uncovered face? - G0

PS. - I managed to do some changes on the logo. Hope you will like it !

Last edited by clanlord; January 14th, 2010 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn guys youre doing a great job ! keep it up!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking sick guys! I really like headhunter's old two of wands idea with the the monk. Clanlord's ace of cups thumb looks really great too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To the folks visiting here and leaving comments and crits, thanks a bunch guys!

Clanlord, I like the new Ace sketch, I just want to make sure he's bulkier in the final, make the cup bigger too. IMO the character should carry mass.

Headhunter: I've been thinking of our theme, this is why I want the darker environments. At this stage the only sold theme I've been pushing has been one of chain and perhaps torture. We haven't talked about themes yet but I think our compositions are coming together finally. Do you guys have ideas for themes? I know clanlord's art lends itself to dark ritualistic themes so it will fit with what I have in mind. I also want to make the Fool a strong character, which is perhaps a drastic deviation from the traditional depiction and interpretations shown in the tarots shown above where he really symbolizes naivete and aloofness. In my version of this tarot universe the Fool would be the only unbound card, rather the ruler of this twisted universe. The one who controls the chains and destinies of all others. This is both symbilic and ironic, a twisted child of a god ruling the universe.

Anyways, it's just an idea.

I think we need to all get together and talk on Friday/Saturday and make decisions on what to start pushing. Cheers guys, I'm real proud of how it's coming along. This has been very educational already for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Two Weeks

Greetings friends, we've got two weeks left.

Per Miro's request I tried merging the 4 of wands. I really don't like how it's turning out but I spent so much time on this I might as well post it here and see what you guys think?

Name:  Four-of-Wands-Draft-Miro.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  97.5 KB

Clanlord: Another neat drawing but this is not fitting my vision of the titan. This can be used but I'd have to warp it and seriously modify it. The sketch you made was much better and I'd rather work from that one if I'm doing a paintover. Not sure why you added the extra arm, it doesn't seem to fit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2