Art: Gothic transformers design
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gothic transformers design

Someone I know asked me to try and draw a gothic transformers. Gosh, it wasn't easy... XD My friend asked me to arm her with a colt like weapon to add to the "old style". I finally did this. She's transforming into an old american style car. I have the sketch but the picture isn't finalized.

I used this one to learn on metal reflexions again. I know, I know, there's not enough highligts, and the ones I did need a bit of... well... practice...

what do you think of it? Thanks for your comments!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    http://carorichard.deviantart.com

P.S. Sorry for my bad english, I'm a french canadian who's still learning...

»»»If you're not worth a good laugh, you're not worth much«««
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,667 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm so disappointed, I thought this was going to be a cathedral that turned into a robot.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That would have been a good idea... but a moving church??? I'm not sure a transformer would suffer the immobility it would need...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroRichard View Post
    That would have been a good idea... but a moving church??? I'm not sure a transformer would suffer the immobility it would need...
    Have you never heard of Metroplex? Fortress Maximus? Trypticon? Omega Supreme?
    I demand a cathedral transformer, now!

As for your actual artwork, I think you need a few more cues that it's actually a transforming robot. Transformers (brand) has had a lot of styles over the years, so this stylistically fits somewhere between Beast Machines and Transformers: Animated, but there is very little that tells me it transforms into something other than maybe her right arm. Also, I personally think you should ditch the blurred, enlarged signature behind the art. It doesn't add a thing and actually takes away from the overall piece. If you can't be bothered to do a background (fair enough), then just leave it a flat, neutral color or something less...."written".

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,667 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A Goth transformer should turn into a tricked-out hearse.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you overdid it with the shining and the speculars, subtlety is the key even with metals, this piece looks more like a manga Character to me then a transformer, good effort, do some more studies of metals from pictures for more convincing work for next time
    cheers!

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

"There are no miracles, no tricks or secrets, only hard work. "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroRichard View Post
    The Backside of Notre Dame.

See those spindly things that are in one of the back? Those Flying buttresses are supposed to avoid the structure from colapsing. You could use that, since gothic architecture can give off an 'organic feel'.

"Time heals everything, except the waste of Time itself..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Have you never heard of Metroplex? Fortress Maximus? Trypticon? Omega Supreme?
    I demand a cathedral transformer, now!

As for your actual artwork, I think you need a few more cues that it's actually a transforming robot. Transformers (brand) has had a lot of styles over the years, so this stylistically fits somewhere between Beast Machines and Transformers: Animated, but there is very little that tells me it transforms into something other than maybe her right arm. Also, I personally think you should ditch the blurred, enlarged signature behind the art. It doesn't add a thing and actually takes away from the overall piece. If you can't be bothered to do a background (fair enough), then just leave it a flat, neutral color or something less...."written".

Of course I heard about those... lol I just forgot them, that's all... And drawing this, I was trying to create a more "humanoïd" look for transformers... just a try. I'm experimenting stuff to increase my skills and as I love transformers since the 80's, I use this subject to try new stuff, new techniques and learn... I thought about a kind of armor that is made of sliding plates. Also, I imaginate something like "cells" for the armor. I mean, these robots could be made of a multitude of "nano-bots" like creature, moving to allow the transformer to change form at will... That's why we don't see a lot of "joints" and stuff like that...

Thanks for your comment though!

And about the "signature behind" It's just because some people have already steal my work... And that's a protection... There's stupid people all around the world unfortunately.... :/

Last edited by CaroRichard; December 10th, 2009 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    The Backside of Notre Dame.

See those spindly things that are in one of the back? Those Flying buttresses are supposed to avoid the structure from colapsing. You could use that, since gothic architecture can give off an 'organic feel'.
    Well as I drew this only to satisfy a friend's curiosity (and he wanted to see her as an old car) and not because of my own interest, I won't redraw her to transform her into something else... You're idea is great though and that would be nice to see the result of a transformer-church...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand the cell idea, but you are not showing that in this picture. To transform at will is a good spin on transformers who transform into something. It is a major point of the art, it should have been realized in the piece.

Website

-My Blog

-Isaacs blog
    has nothing to do with art but I feel compelled to put it up to promote it.

I will create a sketchbook at some point but school is taking up a lot of time and its hard to get pictures of all my sketches.

All the work on the blog is current.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can really see the church, I'm diggin this.

Lighting Designer in LA (www.makslighting.com)
    Artist/Writer/Musician/Student/College Policy Debater

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhrandon View Post
    I understand the cell idea, but you are not showing that in this picture. To transform at will is a good spin on transformers who transform into something. It is a major point of the art, it should have been realized in the piece.

Well showing the cells' idea is just an idea and it wasn't the purpose of this picture, just as it wasn't to show the transforming stuff. And anyway, as transformers don't exist for real, just as dragons, I can draw them the way I want and try to give them a new twist. I'm not obliged to draw them the "old way" or the "official way". That's a part of art... using imagination to creat new stuff... Every great things begin with a tiny idea...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are not understanding what people or I am saying. And you are correct art is left up to the artists. However, when you post here you get critiques. You are obviously not open to critiques and that will hurt you later on.

We are telling you, what you drew, doesn't read correctly. So an artist can draw or interpret things however he chooses, but that artist is responsible for giving his audience all the details.

and no dragons dont exist but if I told you a drew a dragon and whats cool about my drawing is that this dragon actually is so evil that it actually houses the pit of hell in its stomach.

but when I show you the picture it looks like a stick with some red splashed on it, it makes no sense.

Similarly if I tell you nothing about my pic and you look at it and you see a stick with red splashed on it, you might say, ok... cool a stick with red on it,

and then I say, no, no no, this is the most evil dragon in all of fantasies existence, so evil in fact he houses hell in his stomach.

You will look back at that picture and say.... you lost me.

Also, a critique is a critique, it isnt an attack on you, it is a tool for you the artist to use to get better. And a critique should always be backed up with answers or suggestions as to where you went wrong, as well as what you did right, or how to make it right.

I suggest you take nothing personal, and instead try to see what it is your audience is seeing, you will grow a lot from it.

I wish you lots of luck.

Website

-My Blog

-Isaacs blog

I will create a sketchbook at some point but school is taking up a lot of time and its hard to get pictures of all my sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    doesn't feel like transformers for me.. the face is too rounded, and she is wearing clothes.. just doesn't have transformers style u know..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are not understanding what people or I am saying. And you are correct art is left up to the artists. However, when you post here you get critiques. You are obviously not open to critiques and that will hurt you later on.

We are telling you, what you drew, doesn't read correctly. So an artist can draw or interpret things however he chooses, but that artist is responsible for giving his audience all the details.

and no dragons dont exist but if I told you a drew a dragon and whats cool about my drawing is that this dragon actually is so evil that it actually houses the pit of hell in its stomach.

but when I show you the picture it looks like a stick with some red splashed on it, it makes no sense.

Similarly if I tell you nothing about my pic and you look at it and you see a stick with red splashed on it, you might say, ok... cool a stick with red on it,

and then I say, no, no no, this is the most evil dragon in all of fantasies existence, so evil in fact he houses hell in his stomach.

You will look back at that picture and say.... you lost me.

Also, a critique is a critique, it isnt an attack on you, it is a tool for you the artist to use to get better. And a critique should always be backed up with answers or suggestions as to where you went wrong, as well as what you did right, or how to make it right.

I suggest you take nothing personal, and instead try to see what it is your audience is seeing, you will grow a lot from it.

I wish you lots of luck.
    I think you don't understand what I said... I wasn't criticising the critics but trying to explain my idea and my picture...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And they're saying your idea is not reading through the image, which being an illustration it should.
    You've got the Blackarachnia look down, which is appropriate for this kind of character. And I understand you want it to not stick to the conventions of the Transformers aesthetic, but it's just not translating well.
    The movie designs are controversial because they're far removed from what is the norm in Transformers, yet they're consistent.
    The human and mechanical aspects are competing for attention in this piece.

If you're to draw things for other people, make the effort to put your enthusiasm into the image.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, laissez-moi m'exprimer en français, c'est plus facile comme ça et je trouve les bons mots.

Premièrement, ce dessin était une commande. Je devais respecter les instructions de la personne en question et il se trouve que le personnage devait être une voiture et non une église, devait avoir l'air vêtue et avoir des bijoux.

Deuxièmement, ce dessin était un essai pour trouver un nouveau style plus "humanoïde" aux traditionnels transformers, non pas un cours sur la mécanique.

Troisièmement: Je crois qu'il y a une façon de dire les choses, en particulier sur internet. Tout dépendant des cultures ou coutumes, une phrase dite d'une certaine façon peut être très blessante pour quelqu'un alors qu'elle ne l'est pas pour d'autres.

Quatrièmement: Je mets énormément d'effort dans mes oeuvres et j'y met tout mon enthousiasme alors ne venez pas me dire que je ne mets pas assez d'effort

Cinquièmement: Ce n'est pas parce qu'on dessine un sujet qui existe déjà, ici les transformers, qu'on ne peut pas essayer de les rendre différent que leur vieux style. Je ne dis pas que le mien est mieux, mais je crois que c'est intéressant de déborder du cadre habituel pour essayer de nouvelles avenues.

Sixièmement: Il faut être ouvert d'esprit pour être artiste et ne pas toujours s'en tenir à ce que les autres veulent voir

And finally what I say for my art, goes, no ifs ands or buts about it. I can accept bad critics as long as it is constructive. Not about the subject of the picture but about the techniques, way of work or methods, like: "You should try this" or "We don't feel it as metal, try this" and stuff like that. Don't give me just bad critics, I'm not taking this softly because it's not about the way I drew it but about the subject I chose to draw... give me at least a hint to the solution to what you don't like about my art. Give me suggestions! That's why I was here first! Not here to be destroyed by others!

"...and no dragons dont exist but if I told you a drew a dragon and whats cool about my drawing is that this dragon actually is so evil that it actually houses the pit of hell in its stomach."

---I would reply--- And what if I want to draw a soft, kind and gentle dragon? Dragons aren't forced to be evil... And what if the purpose of that picture was to try a new technic, regardless of the subject?

So you're asking me to explain exactly what I wanted to do and what my picture is representing? I will if that can help you understand my art...

And talking of efforts, why don't you make one and try to find something positiv to say? You can at least try to find something good in my art. And if you don't like what you see, why don't you just tell me what you don't like instead of telling me that I'm wrong doing this?

I need no answers for this post

And as my signature tells you, I'm french so sorry if I don't understand correctly the meaning of your critics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sorry if my comment seemed to come across as rude. My choice of words was way off since I seemed to have taken this quote out of context
    ."Well as I drew this only to satisfy a friend's curiosity (and he wanted to see her as an old car) and not because of my own interest..." I thought you were making up excuses to why the design was like that, but it seems that was your friend's request. Again, sorry!

Anyway, I've already said the Blackarachnia look is appropriate.
    As you've pointed out, the metal surface needs more work. I'd also say gesture, proportion and anatomy.

Last edited by Slothboy3000; December 11th, 2009 at 08:57 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Slothboy3000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Slothboy3000 View Post
    I'm sorry if my comment seemed to come across as rude. I've already said the Blackarachnia look is appropriate.
    As you've pointed out, the metal surface needs more work. I'd also say gesture, proportion and anatomy.
    Thanks! That's the kind of comments I was asking for... ^^ thanks for this one!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have misunderstood what I was saying, and what slothboy3000 was saying.

I am simply saying, I looked at your image and I thought, ok, the metal look of the pants are kind of off, I like the design, the pose is sort of robotish, everyone has a style...

but then you explained your art work... and what I was seeing, was no where near the story or idea that you portrayed. It being a transformer, that was also a church, and also had little compartment like boxes. So instead of transforming like transformers do now, they would instantly just shift boxes or whatever.

I thought that was a good idea to add to transformers... BUT

that was not what was coming across inyour image. I wouldn't know it was a transformer. All I am saying is that if you have an idea or a story to tell, then all the information needs to be IN your art. You dont get a chance to tell me the story other then what I see on the page.

I am not knocking you, and in fact I believe I gave you some very good advice. YOu need to take criticism better, and you need to work more on putting your ideas into your drawings.

We are the audience, it would be good to listen to us and to hear what we have to say. It i sthen up to you to decide if what we say has any merit.

You are on your way. You are not a bad artist, but you can do better. Push yourself to reveal teh concept within the drawing. The image should be readable and the whole story revealed without speaking words.

And if you have to tell a story with it, it should add not explain what is in the picture.

Keep up the work, practice everyday, and like someone else said, do some metal studies.

I look forward to seeing your next piece.

Website

-My Blog

-Isaacs blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have misunderstood what I was saying, and what slothboy3000 was saying.

I am simply saying, I looked at your image and I thought, ok, the metal look of the pants are kind of off, I like the design, the pose is sort of robotish, everyone has a style...

but then you explained your art work... and what I was seeing, was no where near the story or idea that you portrayed. It being a transformer, that was also a church, and also had little compartment like boxes. So instead of transforming like transformers do now, they would instantly just shift boxes or whatever.

I thought that was a good idea to add to transformers... BUT

that was not what was coming across inyour image. I wouldn't know it was a transformer. All I am saying is that if you have an idea or a story to tell, then all the information needs to be IN your art. You dont get a chance to tell me the story other then what I see on the page.

I am not knocking you, and in fact I believe I gave you some very good advice. YOu need to take criticism better, and you need to work more on putting your ideas into your drawings.

We are the audience, it would be good to listen to us and to hear what we have to say. It i sthen up to you to decide if what we say has any merit.

You are on your way. You are not a bad artist, but you can do better. Push yourself to reveal teh concept within the drawing. The image should be readable and the whole story revealed without speaking words.

And if you have to tell a story with it, it should add not explain what is in the picture.

Keep up the work, practice everyday, and like someone else said, do some metal studies.

I look forward to seeing your next piece.
    Ah! Now I understand... sorry but it seems that I didn't understand correctly your message at first. I'm really sorry. Well, for this picture, I didn't have an idea or story to tell about it... At least, it wasn't mine... I was just following my "customer"s orders... He wanted it less "boxy" than original transformers, more humanized and didn't want her to look too much like a car. And also, each time I showed him the picture, he was telling me to add or remove stuff like adding jewels and giving her a "sexy" look... but anyway, I'm sorry for my misunderstanding. Now I understand what you mean. Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah, I think I misunderstood as well, I see now I also didnt understand fully the extent of "for a friend" I didnt realize he was holding your hand through the design. I just thought you did it for him.

Maybe you should explore your own concept then. I like the idea of a different transformation.

A few people in comic history past have had similar ideas about creatures or things actually being compartmentalized like that... one in particular is Alan Moores comic Tom Strong... which number I cant remember, but it was early in the series, anyway Tom Strong had to fight Modular Man... and he was turning everything into these small little modular boxes...

anyway, it would be cool to see a transformer like this.

Website

-My Blog

-Isaacs blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah, I think I misunderstood as well, I see now I also didnt understand fully the extent of "for a friend" I didnt realize he was holding your hand through the design. I just thought you did it for him.

Maybe you should explore your own concept then. I like the idea of a different transformation.

A few people in comic history past have had similar ideas about creatures or things actually being compartmentalized like that... one in particular is Alan Moores comic Tom Strong... which number I cant remember, but it was early in the series, anyway Tom Strong had to fight Modular Man... and he was turning everything into these small little modular boxes...

anyway, it would be cool to see a transformer like this.
    Oh? I'll try to find this Alan Moores/Tom Strong on google... this?? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Strong

So we are both "queen and king" of misunderstanding... XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you have a reference of the "old american style car" she transforms into?

I'm unable to see any distinguishible parts that seem to relate to an old american style car. Those headlights (headlights are on the legs, right?) seem pretty modern, to me. Not sure where a lot of the other things come from, though.

I'm not incredibly familiar with cars, though, so I figured I'd ask for clarification. If I'm reading it completely wrong, again, reference and clarification would help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Listen View Post
    Do you have a reference of the "old american style car" she transforms into?

I'm unable to see any distinguishible parts that seem to relate to an old american style car. Those headlights (headlights are on the legs, right?) seem pretty modern, to me. Not sure where a lot of the other things come from, though.

I'm not incredibly familiar with cars, though, so I figured I'd ask for clarification. If I'm reading it completely wrong, again, reference and clarification would help.
    Well my customer asked me to base her vehicle mode on a old american car but he also asked me to add futuristic parts to it... I have a sketch of the car only. So, her knees are the front grid, her legs and feet, the front wheels, her thighs, the hood... well, look at the sketches, the transformations informations are on. Thanks for your comment!

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, I see. That's pretty cool then, I was just confused given the initial statement.

It looks decent enough, I'm sure the one who requested it was happy with it.

Some things to perhaps take into consideration in the future: While the body and exterior of the car it transforms from has lots of rounded parts, the mechanical workings underneath and connecting it all will not follow suit. I think you could've incorporated more mechanical, sharper, "machine" parts inbetween the various body plates. At the joints, the inward portion of the arm, etc. This might assist in the future, with getting that nice balance between humanoid and machine.

Cheers to you for now.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Two Listen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Listen View Post
    Ah, I see. That's pretty cool then, I was just confused given the initial statement.

It looks decent enough, I'm sure the one who requested it was happy with it.

Some things to perhaps take into consideration in the future: While the body and exterior of the car it transforms from has lots of rounded parts, the mechanical workings underneath and connecting it all will not follow suit. I think you could've incorporated more mechanical, sharper, "machine" parts inbetween the various body plates. At the joints, the inward portion of the arm, etc. This might assist in the future, with getting that nice balance between humanoid and machine.

Cheers to you for now.
    True, I will try it next... thanks!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are correct that is the work i was referring to and, I guess it was issue number 2

Tom Strong #2 - Return of the Modular Man (12 May 1999)
    w: Alan Moore p: Chris Sprouse i: Alan Gordon c: Tad Ehrlich

The Modular Man, the unique mechanical-molecular megalomaniac Tom first destroyed in 1987, returns to Millennium City after two nerds download his plans from the internet and accidentally reactivate him. Tom must find a way to stop the Modular Man before he envelops the whole city.

you dont have to read it, your concept just reminded me of it.

Website

-My Blog

-Isaacs blog

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.