Thanks

Step-by-step on my first digital art, would love some feedback

Hello everybody!

What you see here is my first serious attempt on digital painting.
    I would really appreciate every comment and little tip that you can give me.

I know that I got the proportions wrong, but I was rahter focussing on using the color right and light and shadow and the techniques itself.
    This being said, I am not sure so far when it comes to using opaque brush strokes. Some areas seem a little dirty when the brushstrokes overlay themselves and form even darker areas.

I tried to save every now and then a step in between that may help you seeing a possible mistake at any time of my "artwork".

Please give me your honest opinions!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Pascallo; December 10th, 2009 at 06:01 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I think it turned out really well, and it was nice to see the progress from start to finish! I personally really like the first image you have. It looks very cool as-is. I don't think that you really missed any steps in your progress, but you haven't taken it as far as it could go. In terms of lights/shading, I think that you can refine the edges especially, by adding stronger highlights, and darker shadows, especially in the creases. When I squint at the two images, the original has much darker shadows, and it also reads quite a bit more yellow than yours from the light on the left. With the soft edges, it sort of looks like you're thinking of a fabric when you are drawing it, but the lighting will be much harsher since it's a bust. Keep refining it, pushing the light/dark values, and you'll have a really great piece at the end!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ScaryPotato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Scary Potato Thanks a lot!
    I already had a feeling of having missed some darker shadows, but now its even clearer that you pointed it out direclty - also the stronger highlights. Right now my painting looks really soft - as you said. thanks a buch again. Gonna spend more time on it and see where I can take it.

Thanks
    You'll want to make sure you pay very close attention to proportions. The mouth and chin pop out straight away as being very off. Try making some horizontal reference lines to see where facial features are on the original, and where you have placed them on your own version.

The good thing about digital media is that it is very easy to fix. Forget about the lighting and rendering until you have the right proportions and establish correct structure.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Avvatar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Actually I realized some wrong proportions pretty early but since I just wanted to play around with digital art, I did not pay much attention to those errors - did not think I would take it that far.
    So no I did correct some minor issues, but all in all proportions are still not really great.
    I just want to see this as a study as to how to handle my wacom.
    Your critique was and is welcome nevertheless - thanks!

----
    so here is an update, let me know what you think!