Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    I thought I'll try something different this time. I normally go right into the final pose and work out the composition, color, lighting, character design...all at the same time.

This time I thought I start with straight up character design. If I can get my character look interesting standing straight with a poker face, I think I can make him look interesting with some crazy pose, dynamic composition and dramatic light~~~ maybe not too crazy.... LOL

This is my hip hop inspired elven magician. Apparently... the only thing I know about hip hop is half way down baggy pants with boxer showing and a lot of bling bling....

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to fluorine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    fluorine: Great design sketches! I like the pants of the first one best and the head silhouette of the third. If anything, the top halves of these sketches look a lot more traditional/tribal and the bottom half look straight up hip hop. Finding a way to mix the elements up might be the way to go. The skinny top versus baggy bottom silhouette is really working for me, though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you nightblue~

I was actually thinking about the same thing, 1 the top part is a bit too tribal, I think it's the feather and all; 2 the two style doesn't mix that well.

Ok, an update~ more fantasy looking hip hop magician. I only borrow the silhouette of the baggy pants and boxer. everything else is... high fantasy~ LOL.
    Last edited by fluorine; January 9th, 2010 at 02:46 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to fluorine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Paging Lancer and Beelow to come out of hibernation Don't disappear! Even if you are too busy to sketch, please do comment so we can bring our visions together.

Fluorine: I really like this new sketch! The design of the pants look great. If you want it to be less tribal, consider getting rid of the feathers on the shoulder - they do add variety to the silhouette but is also pushing it away from the baggy, flowy hip-hop shapes.

Some random pictures:

Team Chow III: Milk of AmnesiaTeam Chow III: Milk of AmnesiaTeam Chow III: Milk of Amnesia

lunch time sketch - messing with colors. Don't think the mass amt of purple is working. I'll do more color researching tonight.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think the purple works OK, probably would be a bit stonger if add more red in it. But that's just me... I like red. LOL. The secondary lighting is really good create mysterious feeling. But I feel that the primary light source should be a bit stronger on his face.

I'll work on my mage... I mean, magician~ LOL. I really like the feather, but it indeed pushes the design towards tribal... ... seeing your work helps a lot, we need to create characters that fits in the same "world" so to speak. I think I'll give him some interesting shoulder plate instead. Traditionally Magician is almost always associated with red and white, so guess i don't have much choice with the color.

Another thing we both need to be careful, I think, is the shoes. My elf is wearing regular sneakers and it really doesn't go with the rest of the high fantasy design. I can't quite tell about your shoes, but it looks pretty modern to me, so might want to tone it down a bit.
    Last edited by fluorine; January 11th, 2010 at 04:18 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to fluorine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Fluorine, you've nailed the fantasie/urban combo in you're very clear sketch, looks quite promising.
    Nightbleu, you're concentrating a lot on the lighting witch results in a nice effect around the face area, but I'm missing the Urban/Hip hop elements yet.
    I'm also wondering if Fluorine's Indian and Nightblue's Arabian angle aren't too far apart.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tommoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    yeah....now that you mentioned it....Tommoy... mine dose look indian, and nightblue's looks more on the arabian side....hum...... maybe it's the hood. but I just really like that purple coat/jacket.

Thanks
    Had a very late day at work today but I'll reinforce the hoodie feel I was initially going for tomorrow I don't think yours would look too indian if you change the feathers... and I definitely don't want mine to look arabian, so I'll mess with mine more, haha! Thanks Tommoy!

Thanks
    Here's a color one, just test out the red/white color combination, harder than I expected. And... I just can't drop the feather~~~ red/white is a bit too boring, so I added some colorful/playful feather~~~LOL, hopefully he'll look more like a magician/jester than a tribal indian sharmen.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to fluorine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Fluorine - The large field of white and striped pants is giving him more of a mime look, which takes him closer to another card - #0, the Fool. My suggestion would be to not worry so much about the color combination that's in the card discription. I've seem many versions of the Magician that do not follow red/white at all. Just do what feels right to you, and maybe add hints of red or white if you'd like

Sorry for taking it easy and/or getting distracted lately. Serious updates coming tomorrow!!! I've said it so now I can't slack of again, haha.

Edit: Do we need a general color/lighting theme? New round of research?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    that's good to know~~~ i mean, not to stick with red and white. the stripe pattern is an after thought... his white pants just look too plain, totally boring... And, I just really into those pale white+vibrate color face paint lately... probably not a good idea for the Magician though. And I'm totally not happy with her arm plate thingy. Looks too "robotic". Ah.... so many things about this design is not working for me.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow. Somehow I kind of see him in some more earthy, muted tones... Magician is "creativity", maybe I should play with that idea more.

As for general color and lighting theme... I haven't think that far really... what do you think? since we're doing hip hop+ high fantasy, anything we can borrow from them? High fantasy is mostly dramatic lighting, but hip hop I feel like is more down to earth, like everyday casual (but cool~).

Today is the 12th, we still have roughly 2 weeks to play around with ideas. I think we need to come up with a character line up with a unified style/color/design no later than the 24th (Sunday), that'll give us a week to finish up the final pieces. Considering we're both working, we might actually need more time working on the finals. remember how we were last time, coming up with frames, presentations at the last minute.... let's try... not to do that... (Although I had a feeling, we probably will end up the same way...LOL)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to fluorine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey there guys! Very sorry for the absence, I've been very... distracted lately. (That, and I haven't been getting any notices from this topic? )
    I've been working like a madman on mine, but I don't have anything to show for it besides a ton of failed images. I finally think I'm on the right track now though, so I'll post what i have later tonight when I have the chance.

@Nightblue: I REALLY dig the layered jacket, very cool and ornate... I do agree that the hood reads more as an arabian head covering than a hoodie, though. And I don't think the purple is working too well either, but you probably already know that. ^^;

@Fluorine: I personally like the feathers as well, haha. ^^;
    I'd agree with nightblue and say that you shouldn't be worried about limiting yourself to just red and white. maybe changing his skin tone will help a bit?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LancerMoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    LancerMoo: Don't worry about "failures", whatever you have, post them. even in a weak design, there might be strong or interesting elements in it you want to borrow. And getting some critique/encouragement is always help~ so post them!

Thanks
    Second fluorine's notion about no failures! Post what you got Lancer and we can all bounce things around. I also agree with fluorine on borrowing lighting from either urban or fantasy theme - somber, realistic lights versus dramatic, colorful lights. Here are some combinations I think will work well for us:

A. Overall clothing silhouette and colors- urban, accessories and details - fantasy, lighting - urban

B. Overall clothing silhouette and colors - fantasy, accessories and details - urban, lighting - urban

C. Overall clothing silhouette and colors - fantasy, accessories and details - urban, lighting - fantasy

Any thoughts on this?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    King of wands revamp, + tower pose sketch. Tried and failed at the pose of a falling woman many times and still am not happy with what I have... ref time.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast