Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Team Chow III: Milk of Amnesia

Thanks
    LancerMoo: These are great compositions, and I love the monster head designs, especially the last one. The first composition is my favorite as well. I am in love with the contrast in proportion between the man and the monster. My one concern is the size of the character - this is a character of the week challenge, which traditionally focuses on character design. I remember peeking into team Acehole's sketchbook and seeing them face the same dilemma with one of their pieces as well.

One way to solve this is to do character-centric cards and add mood illustrations as side pieces. What do you guys think? Do we have time to produce extra pieces? Any less lame ideas?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Sorry for the absence again~~~ Here's my first attempt for Magician, the hip hop dancer inspired high fantasy elven magician.... wow that's a mouth full...

Thanks
    Very nice work in here
    Nightblue you've got some very nice design for the king of cup.
    Fluorine the elf is nicee ! but I'm not sure of his legs, maybe it's too bold.
    LancerMoo : Man wtf ! Love the 3 compositions ! they all are great, I'm jealous....

Keep them coming !

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Tarrisse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Fluorine, I really like the direction you're going with the magician! I think if you're going to leave his torso and arms bare, it might be cool to slap a really intricate, magey tattoo on there somewhere? ;D

Nah Nightblue, I don't think that'll be necessary - it seems like I'm pretty much the only one who would have that problem, as the rest of the cards we have seem to be pretty character-centric... kights/kings/queens and such. (except for maybe the tower, that might be tricky).
    If the design of that one card turns out to be wrong for this contest I'll just change it rather than give everyone else more work. ;D

I do see what you're saying about the guy, I was wondering about that myself... besides being really small, I was also worried about his back being turned, haha.

My aim was to treat the monster as the "character" for this card, rather than an extension of the person? When I read the card description, it seemed like the person was supposed to depict the querent - so I assumed my job would be to give form to whatever troubles he's facing.
    But then, maybe you could make that argument for a lot of the cards. I don't know why, but this one just gave me that feeling. XD
    (I hope I don't come off as defensive or anything, I'm just trying to explain myself a little bit, haha.)

I hope that's not a problem, as I was under the impression that "characters" didn't have to be humanoid as long as they got the point of the card across? I think I saw Daestwen saying something to that effect in another topic, I'll have to go hunt for it after I sleep a little bit... If it does turn out to be against the rules, I have no problems with changing it.

Anyway, here's another idea I had... this guy doesn't have 6 heads, but he does have 6 eyes, 6 legs, and 6 tails... plus I actually managed to fit the whole body in there. XD
    (Once again, please ignore the person's clothes, it's horrible placeholder crud that will be changed)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LancerMoo For This Useful Post:

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu!
    Thanks
    As my team mate Raoul said, your idea of urban fantasy is really good. Keep at it and you'll stand out for all the right reasons.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    fluorine: I love the energy in your sketch! It might be more engaging if the elf turns to look at the viewer, or maybe simply turns his eyes to look at the viewer, or something. The legs might just be too uniform in width. My friend showed me to a blog that's very helpful to me, and check these two posts out in particular if you have time: http://radhowto.blogspot.com/2009/12...on-shapes.html and http://radhowto.blogspot.com/2009/12/rhythm.html . Your costume idea is brilliant - a mage that shows skin rather than hide behind huge robes is really refreshing.

Lancer: The idea of the monster being the character is actually very cool, and damn... that's a badass looking creature! It should work if you accessorize the monster a bit and give it some individuality later on. You could also add bodies that dress identical to the last dude alive to make sure he does not read as the main character, rather one of the victims. CHOW has accepted non-humanoid characters before, but has always emphasized on the creature's "personality". COW (creature of the week), on the other hand, stresses that they are all about a creature species, rather than an individual creature, so I think this'll help us draw the line.

I may not have to work OT tonight, so I'll have time to do some serious sketching I hope

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    King of Wand design a bit more fleshed out.

Edit: changed the pose a bit as well as the lighting to be a bit more sinister. I'll sleep on this... can't decide which one I like more.
    Last edited by Nightblue; January 7th, 2010 at 12:08 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think the first one looks more righteous. The second one has more substance. I like the second one better... I don't like those overall just totally righteous character.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to fluorine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I thought I'll try something different this time. I normally go right into the final pose and work out the composition, color, lighting, character design...all at the same time.

This time I thought I start with straight up character design. If I can get my character look interesting standing straight with a poker face, I think I can make him look interesting with some crazy pose, dynamic composition and dramatic light~~~ maybe not too crazy.... LOL

This is my hip hop inspired elven magician. Apparently... the only thing I know about hip hop is half way down baggy pants with boxer showing and a lot of bling bling....

17. The Following User Says Thank You to fluorine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    fluorine: Great design sketches! I like the pants of the first one best and the head silhouette of the third. If anything, the top halves of these sketches look a lot more traditional/tribal and the bottom half look straight up hip hop. Finding a way to mix the elements up might be the way to go. The skinny top versus baggy bottom silhouette is really working for me, though.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you nightblue~

I was actually thinking about the same thing, 1 the top part is a bit too tribal, I think it's the feather and all; 2 the two style doesn't mix that well.

Ok, an update~ more fantasy looking hip hop magician. I only borrow the silhouette of the baggy pants and boxer. everything else is... high fantasy~ LOL.
    Last edited by fluorine; January 9th, 2010 at 01:46 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to fluorine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Paging Lancer and Beelow to come out of hibernation Don't disappear! Even if you are too busy to sketch, please do comment so we can bring our visions together.

Fluorine: I really like this new sketch! The design of the pants look great. If you want it to be less tribal, consider getting rid of the feathers on the shoulder - they do add variety to the silhouette but is also pushing it away from the baggy, flowy hip-hop shapes.

Some random pictures:

Team Chow III: Milk of AmnesiaTeam Chow III: Milk of AmnesiaTeam Chow III: Milk of Amnesia

lunch time sketch - messing with colors. Don't think the mass amt of purple is working. I'll do more color researching tonight.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think the purple works OK, probably would be a bit stonger if add more red in it. But that's just me... I like red. LOL. The secondary lighting is really good create mysterious feeling. But I feel that the primary light source should be a bit stronger on his face.

I'll work on my mage... I mean, magician~ LOL. I really like the feather, but it indeed pushes the design towards tribal... ... seeing your work helps a lot, we need to create characters that fits in the same "world" so to speak. I think I'll give him some interesting shoulder plate instead. Traditionally Magician is almost always associated with red and white, so guess i don't have much choice with the color.

Another thing we both need to be careful, I think, is the shoes. My elf is wearing regular sneakers and it really doesn't go with the rest of the high fantasy design. I can't quite tell about your shoes, but it looks pretty modern to me, so might want to tone it down a bit.
    Last edited by fluorine; January 11th, 2010 at 03:18 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to fluorine For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast