Team Chow III: Milk of Amnesia - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Team Chow III: Milk of Amnesia

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fluorine : maybe add excessive bling and feather ear rings ?
    http://lecloset.com/files/2009/11/mr...-sparkling.gif
    Ok so maybe I just wanna see more Laurence Tureaud action !!

Seriously though jewellery says regal I suppose, although I must admit this could be a challenging mix regal and hiphop. Not to mention I dunno if the T.'s really goin' for the hip-hop or bling-punk or, what would you call that style anyway ?... Not to mention the feathers would tie in with your elven character nicely. Still, might be an idea. If not then hey, at least I've reminded you of Mr.T for today hehe

Last edited by Rambozo; January 22nd, 2010 at 03:23 AM. Reason: spelling...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rambozo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    flourine-Did you google search Mike T? That could help you out with the hiphop feel with his paintings. He does other stuff, but for the most part he does hip hop portraitures. It is just the mainly attitude and posture that you are going for with doing hip hop. The clothes that hip hop artists wear has its own entity. We are not aiming for urban. I think we are aiming for more of a hip hop feel mixed with the fantasy if I am not mistaken, from my understanding. Check out rappers and how they pose. Check out video vixens as well and how they dress. Check out how lauren Hill dresses. Common, Dave Chappelle, Erika Badu, India Arie all have a look that is hip hop. There is the dirty souf look, which includes Ludacris, Pastor Troy, Underground Kings, TI, Eightball and MJG, Trina, Nivea, Outkast(more big boi than andre 3000), Paul Wall. And there is the west coast, Snoop, Cypress Hill, Game, Devin the Dude, Dr. Dre, Tupac.

Most common trait is the hoodies, ball cap, baggy clothes, chains, expensive watches, with women hoop earrings, booty shorts, mini skirts, sun glasses anything with graphics(gucci, prada, baby phat, couch). Most hip hop type like to match, no more than 3 colors from head to toe so be aware of that. Try hybriding the fantasy with the hip hop look. That is what I am doing. This will help make your search easy and you will have a good idea of what hip hop is. Hope that helps a bit.

First one is cool just gotta watch your forms and make sure you shapes are reading right. Hand above her is too big, head seems too small and back leg, from my understanding of the sketch is too long. pull ref if you need to. Second one is too centered. You want focus on giving it a bit more interest by moving shapes around the composition. You can have a centralized figure, just need to take some elements that you will be incorporating within the painting along with the figure and move them around. How you arrange your painting can either make or break a piece. Take the time to make numerous sketches to get a feel of what is to be a better choice for the direction you want to go in with your painting. Nothing sucks more than painting on a bad paint and trying to salvage it. If it doesn't work it doesn't work. You dont want to get into that trap.

Thanks for the crit. I will see what I can do to lessen the hip hop a little.

Here is an update, still unhappy with the colors a bit. I'll get it right though. I think it is my values and just my color Hierachy that I screwing up. Any tips would be helpful.

Attached Images Attached Images  

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beelow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great updates Fluorine and Beelow! Sorry for being less than active this week. Will aim to have my pieces mostly done over this weekend... heheheh... tall order to fill. Somehow we got last-minute as usual.

Fluorine - I was facing the same problem with king of wand. What i decided to go for was a more urban style clothing and a more regal expression/posture, like a dude who's on top of the world even if his clothing isn't all tidy. Don't know if that's helpful. Giving her some kind of urban top might help too.

Beelow: I like the composition a lot! The colors are awesome, and the mix between fantasy and hip-hop is quite good. I'm not quite sure if this CHOW follows common CHOW rules, but normal CHOW's have a 3/4 of figure / knee-up requirement, meaning you need to at least show the design of one of the thighs.

Less talk and more painting. Thanks for pointing out the size req Fluorine We picked ourselves a challenge to meet and we are struggling a bit, but it's great to see everybody doing something that's a little different than what we usually do by default.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    king of wand update. Colors are a bit wild right now, will see what I can do to reign it in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    King of wand almost finished - another few hours of polish coming tomorrow.

Moving on to the tower. Brr, scared :| No idea how it's going to turn out. I guess that's what makes things fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two updates for Queen of Cups. I actually like the centered composition, so I'll keep her as she was. I feel that in the end, there'll probably be a lot going on in the painting, so I want to keep the figure simple, not too much accessory.

Anyway~ That's the final design of Queen of Cups, I need to start final rendering for both pieces.

----

Nightblue, good job with the King of Wands! I think you achieved what you set off to do, give your character some attitude. Can't wait to see your tower.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to fluorine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, sorry for the absence, I've had a lot going on recently. =/

@Nightblue: Nice job with the king of wands! I think you really nailed the fantasy/hip hop combo, everything meshes well and looks like it belongs. If you're going back into it later, I think I'd recheck some of the folds on the right (our right) leg - they're making the knee seem awkwardly bent to me.

@Breelow: I kind of agree with them, in that maybe you'd want to show a bit more of the character? I like the colors and design though, it seems to fit in with Nightblue's card.

@Fluorine: This probably won't be a problem in the final illustration, but keep in mind that the snake part needs to look thick/strong enough to support the weight of her torso. Otherwise I can't critique the design too much, it looks good to me.

Anyway... still working on this thing. It's still kind of bad, there's a lot of things I need to fix. Finding a way to fit it in with the theme is... hard, haha.
    You guys were right about the face, hopefully it has a more "human", readable expression now?
    And I hope the meaning of the card is still readable, hopefully I haven't strayed too far...

Edit: Yeah, I'm probably going about this the wrong way. Maybe something like this would be better, with the humanoid shape and all. Plus, it actually looks threatening... maybe I can give it kind of a "thuggish" feel, with chains/tattoos/piercings or something. =/

Last edited by LancerMoo; January 24th, 2010 at 01:29 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LancerMoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fluorine - I like where you are going with the Queen of Cup, especially the top piece. It still feels a bit too much fantasy and not enough hip-hop - maybe give her some kind to top that feels hip hop?

some quick image refs that may or may not be helpful:

Lancer: The humanoid version looks much more character like. I do really like the beast version though... maybe you can finish that one as an alternative version when you have time. Great shapes and scale as usual. Hope you get to finish! haha, hope we all get to finish

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moving right along... rendering in grayscale, and the basic layout of the jewelry. Don't worry about me finishing Nightblue, I'll probably be done with this one tonight or tomorrow. That should leave plenty of time for the other card...

I might end up making the human a little bit bigger, but hopefully he's got the right "attitude".
    Colors will be coming shortly, as soon as I finish up the limbs and tail!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LancerMoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lancer - guy is looking BADASS. love the patterns on his horns. I'm not sure what would make him look more hip-hop ish... maybe give him a really tacky belt? I like all the rings you are planning to put on him except for the ones dangling above his head. At current scale they draw my eyes away from his face.

Couldn't skip the life drawing session tonight... too much guilt... sorry! I should be able to get this to semi final stage tomorrow though... really hunkering down! Now presenting the rough sketch of "the tower".

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not exactly finished, but pretty darn close. It's mainly the lower half that needs some more color work and overall polish, plus there's some minor symmetry problems up in the face/horns, but otherwise I think maybe I'm about ready to move on...
    Oh, and I do plan on giving him some kind of belt, i think...

@Nightblue: That's a very different direction than some of the other tower cards I've seen, so that's good! Judging from the background it seems that you meant to have her falling, but right now her pose doesn't really convey a lot of movement to me. It seems a bit too "unsure" and kind of stiff for a falling figure, if that makes any sense? I think the way her limbs are all tucked fairly close to her body is causing the problem, the legs especially, since they're both right next to each other. Maybe a more extreme expression on her face would help as well, to cement the violent nature of the tower card?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to LancerMoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lancer: Thanks! loving your color palette. the silhouette is very strong, and it has this cool illustration look to it.

Tried to make the pose better, but I cannot fix the darn legs. Better luck tomorrow I hope. haha, I've never realized how hard it is to draw a falling woman. If all fails I'll have to take the upside down route.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished, at least for now. If I have time I'll go back and touch up a few things, but I really need to start on my other card now. @_@
    (I'm not really sure if that border at the top is working or not, figured I'd see what you guys thought about it... I can easily take it out)

I think that pose is much better nightblue, but it's still coming off as a bit stiff to me... I think it has to do with the way she's situated in the frame. maybe you might want to consider rotating her a bit, so that her back is facing the ground, kind of like this?
    (I hope this isn't offensive or anything, I just find it easier to convey my message visually)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to LancerMoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot for the PO lancer! Offensive? no way The tilt does wonders, and having her limbs off to one side really pushes the off-balance feel. Thanks a lot for helping me out.

edit: new pose. was too in love with the head of the old one and it got in my way. Hopefully the fresh start emerges better.

Last edited by Nightblue; January 27th, 2010 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

new wip. A friend at my sketch group gave me some great pointers on the pose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the final on Judgement. I was thinking about putting some extra stuff in the painting itself, but we are running out of time and I need to move on to the next painting. I think I will go back and do some touch ups here and there, varying some edges, maybe some detail and add more shine to the bling. Hope you ladies enjoy.

Last edited by Beelow; January 28th, 2010 at 12:25 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Beelow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nightblue- The first image can be push a bit further more into polish I think. Just the characte needs some attention. Background can stay relatively loose because of the time constraint. Put all of your attention to the most important parts of the painting. On the second painting, second direction works out better. the pose is working really well and gives it a nice dynamic. Keep pushing through it. It should look amazing.

Flourine- I second Nightblue on the hip feel. The ref she supplied is the direction that I believe you should impose on your paintings. Drawings are looking good though.

LancerMoo- Awesome sillouette for the second one. I think the hip-hop feel is still a missing element in the painting though. Maybe add an extra chain(rope chain) to it to help sell it a bit more, or maybe add letter character in the front of the chain with some diamonds. Here is a pic boosie with some extra bling around his neck. I think that is what will help with the more hip hop feel. Waiting to see the first one move into more or finished feel.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beelow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the next one coming up. I am just going to run with it. Any suggestions on background I am all ears for.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beelow: great Judgment! Love the arm bands especially, and the lighting on the hoodie turned out very spectacular. One thing that may help the painting is pushing the contrast in his right wing (top bits) back ever so slightly. The details are really nice there, but they are competing with the main focus. I like the pose you are going after - yeah, we are getting pretty last-minute here, run with it!! haha.

nightly update.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nightblue, great view on the Tower, my narrow mind didn't got so far concept wise, however the falling lady actually isn't the character its working as a Tower card.
    One crit, I think the right cheekbone sticks out too much, ore you could tilt the nose and mouth a little towards the viewer.
    I love your King of Wands.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Tommoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guys, I'm sorry but I have to chicken out on this one. On going family business, I won't be able to do anything this weekend (moving). I'm sure you guys will do just fine without me.

Sorry again, and Good luck!

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fluorine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    flourine- It's all good. No worries, just handle what you gotta do. I hope I get to work with you again in another team chow. See you around.

nightblue- Hey, thanks for the crit. I was thinking of working edges there to bring the character more into focus. I was looking at that too. You are reading my mind, LOL. One crit, I think that you should rework that right foot on the chick. Looks like it is bent towards the right side of the canvas a bit much. Either that or its the heel is not there. Maybe you can correct it there.

Here is the latest on the queen of pentacles. I think I will do pentacles surrounding the main girl. Trying to work the composition a bit more to get more movement around the painting. Let me know something. I'd really like to hear some feedback on my painting, on the new one.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beelow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great works here!

My Sketchb00k regular updates
    -= i am looking for work =-
    DeviantArt . CGhub gallery . www.artofinca.com . Blog

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Artofinca For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tommoy: Thanks much for the crits! Fixed the face some and I hope it's better.

fluorine: No worries There's always the next team chow.

Beelow: The face is coming along really nicely, some nice colors and lighting there and you got the angle down for sure. I also love the flow you are creating with all the smaller discs. I'm not 100% on the pelvis area. Taking a second look, I think it might be the placement of the belly button? Not too sure. Keep up the great work!

Final tower. Hope I have time to polish up the king of wand tonight. Any presentation ideas? Heheh, aren't we the poster children of last-minute-ness...

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick update, as I still have a bunch of work to do on this... colors/contrast is still really wonky and needs adjusting. (And I just noticed the shape of the head is off, haha o_O)

That's too bad fluorine... I was looking forward to your cards! But life comes first, I completely understand

As for presentation, I think I've seen other teams making borders and stuff, do we want to try making something like that? Oh, and we have a team logo to use, right?
    And since this is chow, do we need to name the final images anything special?

45. The Following User Says Thank You to LancerMoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We could rip the old team milk of amnesia logo from team chow 2 if you guys don't mind

A border would be great. Does anybody have anything we could use? I'm pretty bad with making borders, but if it comes to it I could make something.

Got this from daestwen's post - Team Chow III Final Burning

Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post

TEAM CHOW III :: TAROT
    DESCRIPTION

Hello boys and girls!

Okay, trying to keep it simple this time.

Deadline is Midnight on the 31st, anywhere in the world. I will be putting up the poll when I wake up the next day, so there is a bit of leeway, but remember if you push it you might miss it.

Please have one person from your team post all your cards. You do not need to post wips. To make it easier for me, if you could please make one image with all the cards in it (side by side) so that I can use it for the poll, that would be awesome.

Good luck everyone!
    Who wants to be the lucky presentation guy?

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, I'm probably not going to have any more time to work on this, so hopefully it's at a reasonable level of polish... not really that excited about it, but it's gonna have to do.

Using the old team logo seems fine to me.

And as for a border, maybe some kind of graffiti-ish border would look cool, something like this? Or maybe it's too much? XD

49. The Following User Says Thank You to LancerMoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the best I can do with the Queen of Pentacles. If I can get to this computer in the morning, I will try to post a final. I may be able to get an image in before 12 midnight if I can find internet access. My internet just got recently cut off. Here is what I have. If someone can help me with the croping then that would be cool as hell. Here goes. Hope I got the morning to submit final. Later team.

51. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beelow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will be at work tomorrow and will not be able to put together our final submission before noon, which is around when our deadline would be. Daestwen wants us to make all of our cards into one image. Would either of you be able to do that?

I like the border a lot, Lancer Haha, you've got the street thing down. It's been fun! Can't wait to see our final stuff together.

Final King of Wand.

53. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd be happy to compile our images for the final thread.

Edit: Ahh nevermind, I got it. XD

Last edited by LancerMoo; January 31st, 2010 at 08:11 PM.

55. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LancerMoo For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.