Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Team Chow III: Milk of Amnesia

Thanks
    Without considering how everyone else voted (), my gut feeling would be to go fantasy/steampunk, with urban in there as a distant third.

Nice color studies Nightblue, I really like the pink+green+white color scheme of the first one. I think maybe both could benefit from a little desaturation, though, particularly in the greens and blues (respectively)

Drew up some thumbs for the hermit, but I don't think I'm too happy with any of them yet... I think this card will rely pretty heavily on the theme we choose, so once I have the character's design worked out I'll go back and revisit these.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to LancerMoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So here's what our vote amounted too:

a. high fantasy (DnD) 4 vote - NB, Beelow, fluorine, LancerMoo
    b. steam punk2 vote - fluorine, LancerMoo
    c. gothic 2 vote -NB, Beelow
    d. ancient mythology1 vote - fluorine
    e. urban hip 2.5 vote -NB, Beelow, LancerMoo
    f. post-apocalyptic
    g. scifi

So here is our theme: Combination of DnD high fantasy style and urban flare, with overall mood being kind of dark as we all discussed earlier. Add steam punk elements or gothic decorations when suitable.

Please scream out if you do hate the theme - sorry if the voting method was a little silly
    Last edited by Nightblue; January 3rd, 2010 at 11:23 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Urban research. There's the rough and gritty, as well as the glamorous and glittery. The boundless attitude seems to be the unifying factor.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    High Fantasy + Urban sounds like a unique approach and would be fun to illustrate! Thank you for putting up the vote, NB! Urban can almost be anything, actually, vivienne westwood is urban and goth (I think...) and punk.

a little bit Vivienne and some goth picture I collected. (I don't like Vivienne though... she's too loud, but for the design purpose, I think her attitude is what we want in this exercise).

Also, google harajuku girls, those girls has some crazy urban fashion ideas.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fluorine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 850 Posts
    Based on your ref it looks like your going to have a blast. Urban/fantasy sounds like your set will be a real stand out.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    (Haha, .5 vote... XD)

Urban fantasy looks like it'll be fun, especially after ref-hunting for an hour or two.
    Anyway, just to add some more to the ref pile...
    Some of the outfits were giving me a kingdom hearts kind of vibe, so I threw in a couple of those just to see a more fantasy approach?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LancerMoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Most of the square enix character design is actually alone the line of urban fantasy, because the game is sort of high-tech steampunk + fantasy. Since we're doing urban fantasy, we need to stay away from Final fantasy/kingdom heart/shadow heart and all that, simply because it's very unlikely to beat the final fantasy character design...

one thing we could try to do to draw distance between us and FF series, is to lean on the hip-hop side. since FF series is more on mainstream victorian side. .. if that actually make any sense...LOL

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fluorine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lancer, 0.5 vote is what you get for saying "distant 3rd!" I guess a ranked voting would have worked better, aka each person's 1st choice is worth 3 votes, etc... next time

I'll have to second the "use J-pop with caution" notion. Square has turned that into their signature look. Mixing in the more traditional high fantasy elements might help though, so it wouldn't hurt to try. One thing Square doesn't do - their costumes don't often look functional (Lulu in FFX, for example ). If we lean more towards what people might actually wear, we might end up sufficiently different from them.

I am now back at my own home and reunited with my lovely cintiq. A couple of thumbnails... was going to do more but I got sucked into the 2nd one. This is why I am bad at doing thumbnails.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    yeah....LOL JPRG's character design can go crazy from time to time...You end up wondering why they didn't trip on those crazy clothing/oversize weapons all the time.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to fluorine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh, I didn't mean for it to be an example of the style we're going for, but rather an example of fantasy characters using elements of modern clothing in their designs. Of course I don't expect us to go all JRPG styled, I mean, we did just get done deciding "high fantasy", not "final fantasy", after all. XD
    And if I got something wrong in regards to style, well, feel free to ignore it, haha. I'm quite fashion-illiterate, so I was just posting stuff I found interesting; I thought there might be some cool shapes and ideas in there to tweak and mess around with. And hey, better to post stuff nobody finds useful than to withhold information that could make our jobs easier, no?

And hahaha, they can get quite ridiculous... by all known laws of physics, some of those characters shouldn't be able to walk comfortably, let alone battle, in some of those costumes. I think sometimes the ridiculousness is part of the appeal, though - there's a place for everything, after all, even 7-foot-long swords and permanently spiked hair. ;D

21. The Following User Says Thank You to LancerMoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    more king of wand sketches - trench coat and hip-hop inspired, respectively.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Niiiiice sketches dear Nightblue! I'm kinda excited what more can you do with this hip-hop inspired line. I like it.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to kynu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Spent some time working out some compositions, and a bit of the monster's design... ignore the people, they're just placeholders until I can work out the character.

-First image is a couple compositions I scribbled out. Three is probably the most dynamic, but I like the overall "feel" of one more - I might need to change the person so he's doing something more interesting, though.

-Second image is me working out the design of the monster's head... the bottom one is me trying to combine some elements from the above heads. If it doesn't fit with the theme please let me know so I can maybe tone it down a little.
    I'll go back and fix it up a bit later, but this is what I have for now.

-The third one is me (sloppily) pasting the head into composition one, just to see how it would fit with the body...

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LancerMoo For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast