Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Team Chow III: Milk of Amnesia

Thanks
    I vote yes Beelow has sweet stuff with lots of motion, and I think we can use the dash of energy.

Sorry for not being on much in the last couple of days. My bf got a bad case of food poisoning and is just now getting better, and my mom comes back from China tomorrow so I'm trying to get everything all nice for her. If I miss any major discussions, I'll be cool with any theme we choose to go with My preference is "no tribal" and "maybe not asian," but even if we did go with one of those two I'll still be able to find plenty of new ways to interpret the theme.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok, we have a new member: Beelow!

2010 is here, guess we better get started~

Thanks
    Hey team I am here. I look foward to working with you all. Let me do some reading to catch up to speed to see what is going on. Be back in a few.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Beelow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey everyone, I think I am about up to speed on what is going on. Here are the 2 I picked. I am really interested in doing the Judgement one. Should be interesting. I will go along with anything that you all want to do. I second on the anything fantasy, it comes easiest to me. I am willing to take another stab at steampunk again. Whatever you guys are willing to do I am down for. Thanks again for allowing me to work with Milk of Amnesia.

Queen of Pentacles

This is the practical, down-to-earth woman. An enthusiastic outdoors woman, she's always encouraging friends and family to exercise. She also owns her own successful business. Her accounting is scrupulous, but that doesn't mean she's afraid to spend. She loves beautiful things and has an artist's eye. Her home is impeccably decorated with paintings, furniture, and trinkets. Her garden is also beautifully maintained. Tasteful is the perfect word for her; likewise in her dress, jewelry and make-up. As in work, nothing less than giving her all to her family will do for the Queen of Pentacles. She wants them to have the best so they can succeed. But this can put a lot of pressure on them. The queen does not understand that buying a child a Steinway piano will not make them Beethoven; also, this Queen's pragmatism, her dislike of anything strange or distasteful, may exclude anything unique or imaginative - solutions as well as people. Her children or partner feel that they can't be themselves and still be loved.

Basic Tarot Story

As the Fool leaves the garden of the Sun, he feels that he is near the end of his journey, ready to take a final step. But something is keeping him from doing this, holding him back. He gazes up, hoping to find guidance from the Sun; instead he sees above him a fiery angel, beautiful and terrible.

"You are right," the Angelic figure confirms, "you have only one last step on your journey, one final step to completion. But you cannot take that step until you lay your past to rest." The Fool is perturbed. "Lay it to rest? I thought I'd left it behind, all of it," he says. "There is no way to do that," The Angel observes. "Each step wears down the shoe just a bit, and so shapes the next step you take, and the next and the next. Your past is always under your feet. You cannot hide from it, run from it, or rid yourself of it. But you can call it up, and come to terms with it. Are you willing to do that?"

The Angel hands the Fool a small trumpet. The Fool is hesitant, but he knows that this is a final decision. Either to go forward, or stay where he is. He blows, and the trumpet's song echoes across the sky, its vibrations seeming to crack open the Earth. From under the Fool's feet, memories rise. Images of his innocent youth, challenges, loves, failures, losses, success, disillusionment and wisdom.

For the first time, he does not try to leave them, ignore or forget them, but accepts them. They are, he sees, nothing to fear. They happened, but they are gone now. He, alone, carries them into the present. With that understanding, the memories vanish. Though they remain in his mind, they no longer have any power over him. He is free of them, reborn, and wholly in the present.

Basic Tarot Meaning

With Fire as its ruling element (or Pluto as its ruling planet), Judgement is about rebirth, resurrection. The idea of Judgement day is that the dead rise, their sins are forgiven, and they move onto heaven. The Judgement card is similar, it asks for the resurrection to summon the past, forgive it, and let it go. There are wounds from the past that we never let heal, sins we've committed that we refuse to forgive, bad habits we haven't the courage to lose. Judgement advises us to finally face these, recognize that the past is past, and put them to rest, absolutely and irrevocably. This is also a card of healing, quite literally from an accident or illness, as well as a card signaling great transformation, renewal, change.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beelow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Happy new year teammates Hi Beelow! Look forward to working with you.

The myth idea sounds interesting as long as we do not try too hard to represent both the myth character and the tarot character. In a chow I did a while back, I referenced "Peter Pan" when doing "Icarus" and that seemed to have confused a lot of people, even though I just tried to borrow the child-like, immature qualities of Peter Pan. I still think it's doable as long as we keep the original myth character strictly to the sideline and just borrow qualities from them, or use certain myth species whenever appropriate. We could also try going straight out and saying "Poseidon as King of Wands" or "Hades as Judgment" and make a myth-themed tarot, although I personally would prefer to stick more with tarot cards as abstract characters rather than reinventing myth figures.

I think an urban, hip flavor might be pretty fresh for tarots, even though that would be a great personal challenge to me since I have no idea how to dress hip. Straight-up fantasy works for me too - funny thing is I don't think I've done it since a long time ago.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I actually like the urban theme, or something like modern fantasy or urban fantasy. (as long as we won't end up looking like Harry Potter or god-forbid Twilight.......) I think it'd be a refreshing approach, I've been checking out all the tarot design out there. I have seen mythical theme, goth, and various culture theme tarot, but haven't seen a modern/urban one.

Although we don't need to go for the "shock factor", it's always nice to have a new perspective.

But it'd be a challenge to interpret Tarot symbolism with modern ideas... and since I rarely do urban/hip stuff... it'd be a nice change of style for me.

Thanks
    Hey there Breelow, nice to have you with us!

Hmm, urban fantasy sounds alright, as long as we don't get too realistic, haha. Like I said earlier, I'm pretty okay with anything as long as there's room for more imaginitave elements...

We seem to have a lot of ideas sort of noodling around, I've heard goth/steampunk/mythology/fantasy/urban(modern), that's a lot of different themes to work with. We should really try to come to a decision in the next few days, maybe we can combine a couple of them in an interesting way...

I think the best way to go would be either
    modern/fantasy
    mythological/fantasy (or mythological/modern, for an alternate take on it... )
    gothic/fantasy/steampunk,
    I think it's a good idea to keep fantasy elements present no matter what we choose, since that seems to play to our strengths.

Anyway, Since I'm anxious to get started, but don't feel comfortable with starting to design characters until we have a solid theme set - I thought I'd start thumbnailing some compositions...
    Here's the seven of wands - I looked up several definitions, and the common thread seemed to boil down to "courage in the face of adversity".
    Sooo me, being the monster person that I am, thought maybe it'd be cool to have the figure battling some kind of multi-headed beasty. The description I posted mentioned that the figure had one wand, battling against six others, so of course my mind jumped straight to "six headed monster". XD
    (Ignore my writing, it's just me messing around, haha.)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LancerMoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey there LancerMoo. Any theme is fine with me. I am a bit overly-anxious to paint, LOL. Like I said I am cool with anything. I second on not reinventing characters, but if everyone wants to do that, I'll go along with that. Modern/Urban Fantasy is cool with me as well. Just stick fantasy with anything I am good, and I'll sleep better at night, LOL. Had to take me a power nap a while ago so I kinda missed all of you when everyone got on. I will keep my messenger running throughout the duration of team chow, so I am easily acessible. Just hit me up. If I don't respond, I am probably off doing stuff and or working on commissions. I'll see it.

I was thinking the same thing as far as doing comp studies. I'll get to that.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beelow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Haha, sounds like we are all in the same boat. I'd very much like to start painting as well! How about starting a vote? I think it's safe to say we want a combination of two or three themes. Please vote for the top 3 themes of your choice and we can maybe do the combination of the two themes that got the most votes. If I missed a theme we discussed, do bring it up and vote for it!

Also, I think we should go with the same or a similar aspect ratio, seeing that we are doing tarot cards and all. Any suggestions here? Traditionally tarot cards seem to be long and thin, but there are many other shapes as well, even circular ones.
    Last edited by Nightblue; January 3rd, 2010 at 09:51 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    a couple of color doodles when I try out art rage 3

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I second nightblue to the choices made. A C E are my choices as well. Same aspect ratio is better for me. I would like to see try to keep these cards consistent with each other. It's going to be tough for us to keep styles consistent with each other, so I think the best thing is to keep the design of cards and size the same. Colors of the cards can be a bit different though Just same designs, if we go that route with decorating the cards with borders and more graphic design elements.

Nice mood studies nightblue. Reminded me of some Fowkes work.

Here is some Nathan Fowkes for a bit more inspiration as far as what we can do in terms of mood in our paintings, that may work out:

http://nathanfowkes.blogspot.com/

http://nathanfowkes-sketch.blogspot.com/

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beelow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sorry for the absence. I vote for High Fantasy + Steam punk + Mythology. Although I actually want to stick with Victorian based theme, so somewhere between steam punk and goth with a touch of Fantasy would be nice.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fluorine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some head sketches for the king of wand. Still trying to decide whether he should be a philosopher king or king of finances. Either way, I'm picturing him to be a man full of energy and conviction, no matter his age.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast