Deciding University Courses based around CA

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Deciding University Courses based around CA

i would just like to know what courses should take when i go to college or university becasue in the UK(Britian, London) there is not many Courses in Unversity based specifically around Concept artists so is their any other art courses i can take that would help me improve to becoming a Concept Artist?

e.g Fine Art Course, Graphic Design, Game Art

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    stay away from fine art: its such a loaded title.sure there can be good instructors but its a crap shoot.

Graphic art wont apply too much its more about magazine layout and stuff like that

game art.. eesh ya never know what you'll get but check it out, schools seem to throw curriculum together for that but my not know much about it

either way you'll have to check out the teachers, student works ect and see if its a fit.

You'll want more of an illustrative or ID drawing background.

find good instruction for drawing,painting, perspective,anatomy,forms, composition,character design, product design,color and you'll be on the right track

"Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 643 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    True, most schools in the UK, the fine art, graphics and game art courses are pretty much not what you would expect.

Illustration would be the best choice, it'll teach you all the basics, i.e anatomy etc and it's the closest to concept art.

Im still researching it but this is what I've found so far, maybe there's better schools etc but you'll need to keep asking around.

Good luck, and it'll be cool to know if you find a nice solution

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Illustration is the closest, but its still not THAT close. Also you'll spend most of your time doing visual language exercises and learning software. It is such a broad subject that they have to cover all bases and it all gets mashed into 3 years of vague and largely irrelevant exercises.

Also, be careful about "viewing the students and lecturers final year work" because most of it is BS. When people are under pressure to show work they either cheat or show something they've worked on in their spare time for about 1000 hours. By far the best option is talking to the students in their 3rd year. Make sure its a level headed person and ask questions and view their work.

As a current UK Illustration student I would seriously question the need for a degree. However it gives you a place to be, and the financial support to sit around all day drawing. Just don't fall in with the mediocre students who end up graduating with hard-luck stories of how shit the uni is. My uni is pretty shite and all I hear is "I cant do this because lecturer X is a ****". At no point do these losers question their own motivations. They suck you in and drag you down. Just go your own way and geek-out.

Good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks so what should i take?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look into illustration courses. Although they're still a far cry from concept art as already said, it should still teach you about anatomy and such. I think a new concept art course opened at some university but I can't remember it's name.

If that fails, look into ateliers such as LARA. CA has fantastic resources and live lessons from some of the best, so teaching yourself is also an option, if that's something you'd enjoy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to B u r l For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlSpringer View Post
    i would just like to know what courses should take when i go to college or university becasue in the UK(Britian, London) there is not many Courses in Unversity based specifically around Concept artists so is their any other art courses i can take that would help me improve to becoming a Concept Artist?

e.g Fine Art Course, Graphic Design, Game Art
    That's scary, i was planning to make this thread today.

Current Projects:
    3D CyberPunk Characters W.I.P

Bloghttp://z3nzy-fmp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by aesir
    I fully intend to become rich as fuck through art. How you ask? By being awesome.
    Awesome artists get rich. You guys just don't love art enough to get rich. Maybe if you cared about money more you might have more motivation to get awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd say animation production is the closest, I recently switched courses from illustration to animation and I love it so far.

Pennyj brings up a lot of good points, and if what you just want is the financial support and be able to work as much as possible in your own way. Go for it, the course is pretty laid back on what you HAVE to do, and the assignments are pretty open ended. You can usually make them suit you.

Animation on the other hand, which I am doing now, requires you to give up more "freedom". I spend the majority of days a week from 9:30am to 9pm at the university, due to animation evening life-drawing sessions and the fact that we have time-consuming assignments with little time to do them.

Most of the time you will be animating stuff though, so you have to enjoy animation to really go this route I'd say. Though you will also learn about anatomy, and observational drawing is something we're told to do more of every day (we have some great lecturers btw). You'll also learn basic 3d software as Maya, though most lessons are focused on the animating part, you will learn basic modelling and there's no problem to ask for more help about it. Important though, don't expect to have much time to do your own stuff.

Last edited by ErikStorstein; December 10th, 2009 at 01:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    True animation production minus the animation is also a good one,

since it should cover layout, story boarding, character design, story development, life drawing ect but in the end you'll be animating so much that everything else takes a back seat.

but it is an option

"Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so illustration it is thanks everyone im just starting to plan ahead and ill make a Sketchbook just need to get some sketches done ASAP

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.