Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks

Sculpture with Welding: Robot lost an arm, almost done!!

This being only my second piece, I still am a green horn when it comes to oxy-acetylene. It took me three tries before the shell even came out looking half way right, and at one point I didn't realize I was using too much oxygen and that part of the steel became too crunchy to even use. but once I became more accustomed to this gauge of metal, It was almost smooth sailing apart from some burns. Any questions or critiques welcome, I want to know what people like or hate about it, even if it pertains only to the style.

I had this posted in WIP, but not really getting any welders there. Now that it's done (for now), I figured I should put it here, and see if anybody else who welds will pop up.

Attached Images Attached Images                
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    awesome work man. I love metal sculptures. I've always wanted to make one but I don't have the tools. I like how you made it look so organic. great job.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Android4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    lovvvvve the idea! great creativity. looks good man.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SrStewart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Android4: depending on where you live, you might be able to rent studio space or even the gas tanks or tools themselves. Look around and see what you find! thanks for the reply too, SrStewart! (do you pronounce that senor, senior, or just SR?)

Thanks
    I love it! That is one big chunk of metal. Are you using mild steel? Thats my fav. I have a Oxy-A rig too! Have you ever tried using the tip called a rosebud.
    Its great for the kind of stuff you are doing.You can melt some nice shapes! I really like the snail's shell and the fact that he is so slow moving that trees grow on him! The leaves are really nice too. I really love metal work, don't know if you saw my copper sheilds that I posted. Check them out !

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mah ' Crub For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ Mah ' Crub:Yeah, I have! I'll post it later, but I used it to shape my first project, an angler fish helmet. The only things that I used the rosebud on was to shape the body and the spiral part of the shell, but I really like using it. I get so hot using it in the shed, but then I realize that I can see my breath! Just like with your shields I also used repouss'e. Have you ever used an english wheel to shape?

Thanks
    I sure do, I love my english wheel! Its such an ancient tool, and it works so beautifully! Metal is a great medium.

Thanks

Angler Fish Helmet

Well, here's my first attempt at sculptural welding. The assignent was to make a mask, so I made an angler fish helmet. I made the mistake of using relatively thick steel on this so it was pretty tough for a first project, but it actually worked out since this is a "helmet" and all. I installed the switch under the tail.

Attached Images Attached Images        

Thanks
    That looks like you had a lot of fun doing that mask. Really cool idea, and I love the "dangly bits", the light is great!
    Having fun are we? Your pic's look like you are enjoying yourself. What could be better than enjoying your art work with friends.
    Cool stuff.

Thanks
    I better be having fun since these were taken on Halloween. Hey, did you notice the horrible job I did with the plasma cutter on the body? I actually had to rough up the edges on the jaw just to make them match. At one point a brick slipped, and my fish ended up with a hair lip. Do you have a plasma cutter?

Thanks

Oh Fish, Oh Fish, Oh Fishie

I can only wish I had a plazma cutter,{ be still, my beating heart !} I have lusted for one of those for a long time! Maybe someday.
    Your fish reminded me of the giant fish in the movie " Baron Moonchausen,"
    Ever see it? IT's one of my fav's, super trippy visuals. If not check it out, you will see your fish about 2/3 through. Great movie.
    Mah ' Crub

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mah ' Crub For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh my god, that's on of those things that you remember from childhood but cannot for the life of you remember the name. Thank you for reminding me!!!

When I was telling my brother about the plasma cutter, he said, "What the fuck is that, and why does it sound so awesome?!" The name sounds like it clould be a weapon from the fallout series. I take it that you've used one somewhere, right?

Thanks
    Hi, that's great, and your brother is right, it does have that sound of si- fy about it. " Beam up the PLAZMA CUTTER Scotty, and several of those hot plazma-ranion chicks too !
    I must admit I'am a virg when it comes to plazma cutters, I just use the Oxy-Ac. I would love to wrap my fingers around one and really do some fast clean cutting, but they are soooo expensive! Right now I am doing the whole starving artist bit, { not what it's cracked up to be },so no money to buy new tools or toys, but as a by-product, I am writing a cookbook, One hundred and one ways to prepare Rat. And I am just in time for the holidays!!!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1